DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652793-mare-easttown-hbo-limited-series-s-kate-winslet-premieres-4-18-21-a.html)

dex14 04-11-21 06:16 AM

Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...53071910d8.jpg

Starring Academy Award(R), Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R) winner Kate Winslet (HBO's "Mildred Pierce"), from creator Brad Ingelsby ("The Way Back"), with all episodes directed by Craig Zobel (HBO's "The Leftovers" and "Westworld"), the seven-part limited series focused on family and community, MARE OF EASTTOWN, debuts SUNDAY, APRIL 18 (10:00-11:00 ET/PT) on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max. Ingelsby returned to his home state of Pennsylvania to write the series, an exploration into the dark side of a close community and an authentic examination of how family and past tragedies can define our present. Winslet stars as Mare Sheehan, a small-town Pennsylvania detective who investigates a local murder as life crumbles around her.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Angourie Rice as Siobhan Sheehan
· Cailee Spaeny as Erin McMenamin
· David Denman as Frank Sheehan
· Evan Peters as Colin Zabel
· Guy Pearce as Richard Ryan
· James McArdle as Deacon Mark Burton
· Jean Smart as Helen
· Joe Tippett as John Ross
· John Douglas Thompson as Chief Carter
· Julianne Nicholson as Lori Ross
· Kate Winslet as Mare Sheehan
· Neal Huff as Father Dan Hastings
· Patrick Murney as Kenny McMenamin
· Sosie Bacon as Carrie Layden

CREW INFORMATION:
· Brad Ingelsby as CRTR/EP
· Craig Zobel as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Gavin O'Connor as EP
· Gordon Gray as EP
· Kate Winslet as EP
· Mark Roybal as EP
· Paul Lee as EP

dex14 04-18-21 07:24 AM

Re: Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

Premieres tonight.

DJariya 04-18-21 08:10 PM

Re: Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

I'll check this out later tonight on HBO Max. Winslet is awesome is pretty much everything she does.

Why So Blu? 04-18-21 10:23 PM

Just watched the first episode and we'll see how it goes. Everyone is an unlikable asshole.

Decker 04-19-21 12:34 AM

I liked it. Pretty good start. Slow and deliberate but I am willing to follow along.
Weird that this isn't even the first HBO Limited Series where Kate Winslet and Guy Pierce have sex together on camera.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...09d1b740fe.png

dex14 04-19-21 05:58 AM

Does she fuck like a grandma? :lol:

MrX 04-19-21 06:12 AM

I liked it. This was the first series in awhile where I wished I could have watched the next episode right away.

Decker 04-19-21 10:09 PM

I forgot to mention yesterday that I watched it online with my daughter at college. She not only recognized that Mare's ex-husband was the same guy who played Pam's ex-fiance Roy on The Office, she wryly noted that he apparently never moved out of state.

Bandoman 04-20-21 07:00 AM

Aside from Winslet's horrendous DelCo accent, this was good. Looking forward to the next episode. It's actually a relief that we have to wait - I get too caught up in bingeing.

DJariya 04-22-21 11:47 AM

I watched this on Monday and thought it was good, but a little slow. It was a lot of set up. It did not surprise me who was the victim was that sets up the show. I thought okay, she's fucked. I kind of felt bad for the victim and the circumstances she was in.

Bandoman 04-22-21 12:23 PM

Poor kid will never get his ear surgery now.

Decker 04-22-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13924364)
Poor kid will never get his ear surgery now.

Why doesn't the kid have Medicaid? That bothered me at the time.

Giantrobo 04-22-21 04:01 PM

They had me at Kate Winslet...

whotony 04-22-21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13922945)
Aside from Winslet's horrendous DelCo accent, this was good. Looking forward to the next episode. It's actually a relief that we have to wait - I get too caught up in bingeing.

Yeah, it’s mostly her pronunciation of the O’s. She makes it sound more like an Oo.
Home becomes Hoom.

People re going to think this is a Canadian production.

Also where is Easttown?
Is this town supposed to be in Delco somewhere as a fictional Delco town?
The real Easttown is no where near Delco it’s closer to Villanova and Paoli.

Anyway it’s a good show so far but having lived in Delco for 20 years it’s tough to forgive the locations not matching up and the weird dialect choices.

mickey65 04-24-21 07:35 AM

Fingers crossed this gets released on DVD. I don't stream and DISH dropped HBO a few years back, so its been torture missing out on certain HBO (and Cinemax!) programs for the last few years...I really wanted to see this! Love Kate!!

Giantrobo 04-25-21 01:37 AM

Finally watched ep1. Im in. 👍🏿

johnnysd 04-25-21 07:07 PM

I thought the relationships were surprisingly deep and realistic. I felt really bad for the victim.

MrX 04-25-21 10:10 PM

Tonight was good, I just hope the this isn’t one of those shows that’s going to have a twist at the end of every episode that is easily resolved 10 minutes into the next episode.

dex14 04-25-21 11:24 PM

Well... they certainly telegraphed “Roy” being involved when he was asking questions about the case.

Why So Blu? 04-25-21 11:45 PM

Just don't watch the preview for the following week's episode. They showed pretty much everything that was going to happen last week on tonight's episode in the preview. Everyone is still a scumbag on this show but I am actually interested to see how it ends.

Shannon Nutt 04-28-21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13924668)
Also where is Easttown?
Is this town supposed to be in Delco somewhere as a fictional Delco town?
The real Easttown is no where near Delco it’s closer to Villanova and Paoli.

It's supposed to be in Delco. The series was shot primarily in/around Aston.

I'm still on the fence about this show. Winslet is good in this, but some of the old, tired TV tropes are getting to me...like people never looking into the back of their cars when getting in (who doesn't notice a large guy in the back seat?!), leaving headlights on when you park and exit your car, a cop who ignores a suspects rights, etc. They also seem to be borrowing from other movies/shows. The guy screaming "That's my daughter!" after finding out she died gave off Mystic River (Sean Penn) vibes, the priest looking suspect gave off Broadchurch vibes, etc.

whotony 04-28-21 07:06 PM

I was asking more facetiously then actually wanting to know.

Lived in Aston for 15 years and this doesn’t look like Aston to me.

Seems like it’s been filmed all over Delco and Chester county.

Daytripper 05-02-21 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13925949)
I thought the relationships were surprisingly deep and realistic. I felt really bad for the victim.

Same. She was such a sweet kid. And even if the female bully isn't the murderer, I truly want something bad to happen to her for what she did. She's such a despicable human being. Very few shows hook me in within the first 5-10 minutes. This was one of them though. I think it's one of the best shows HBO has ever produced.

Decker 05-03-21 12:20 AM

^ I wouldn't go that far as HBO has produced lots of great television that was way more important and influential and felt far less conventional than this show.

That said, I am very hooked, watched the last two episodes back to back tonight and am eagerly awaiting the next episode. Very well done show. I've lived and worked as a professional in a small midwestern town and know all about how everyone knows everyone's business and how there's no such thing as a secret in a place that tiny. The show is very well crafted and well acted.

I'm watching it with my daughter and she very much approved of the Mannequin Pussy song choice (which she has played on her weekly college radio show), as well as Julien Baker's double appearance both with a song inclusion and the reference to the "supergroup" Boygenius, of which she is a member.

MrX 05-03-21 08:03 AM

Last night was good, but for a cop who is supposed to be good at her job, the whole thing with setting up her son's ex was done poorly

Earlier in the episode she finds the bullet in the tree, but she isn't smart enough to at least change the baggie the drugs she stole from the evidence locker are in.