Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm feeling that same vibe Giantrobo. I do have a little different take on it though ...

The way she handled chasing down the suspected burglar earlier was, IMO, very admirable. She knew him, she took care of him.

Planting the drugs was not done in her capacity as a cop to "take down" a suspect. In fact, it feels like almost all of her police work has been well handled despite the shitty circumstances (possible exception was continuing to grill the girl who was "asking" for a lawyer). Planting the drugs was done in a purely self-centered capacity to keep her grandson. That doesn't make it any better or justifiable; it is still a very piss-poor decision and an abuse of her power, but the motivation is different.

I have really come to struggle with the "anti-hero" that we have come to celebrate in our media over the last several decades. Flawed heroes and anti-heroes are very different things. We have moved too far past flawed into the flat-out "root for the bad guy" realm. That said, I think Mare still falls into "flawed hero" more than "anti-hero" due to the motivation I mentioned above.

I've been thinking about your take; and even if the writers made her good at her Detective work, the reality is once a cop is found capable of planting evidence. To me, ALL the cases they worked become suspect; and should perhaps get a review.
Old 05-12-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Mare of Easttown (HBO) - limited series - S: Kate Winslet - premieres 4/18/21

After the last episode, my money's on Tony Delrasso as the killer. He's the father who threw the milk jug through the window at Mare. Why? Because other than the deacon, he's the only person with the same build/hairstyle as the guy we saw in the van with the girl.
Old 05-12-21, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
Well? We're waiting!

https://www.vulture.com/article/mare...-theories.html

anyone want to bet Mare's grandson Drew at 100.000/1 lol

I'm actually bummed that my prediction (since ep 1) is the current "favorite" in this article. Thought i was being clever
Spoiler:
I am not going to read other theories but my theory for the killer is the cousin Father Dan. I think he somehow got her pregnant, but not thinking abuse but more of a power imbalanced relationship and then Erin tried to protect him and pinned the pregnancy on Dylan maybe she throws herself at him at a party or something because he does not seem to ever have been the boyfriend. Earlier in the day in a scene we have not seen yet Erin goes to Father Dan and asks him to pay for the operation and ultimately threatens to out him. He finds her and kills her (maybe even at the church) and then takes her to where he drops her. The Deacon sees the bike and is trying to protect him. Something like that. In terms of the kidnapper it seems like it is either someone out of left field or Frank Sheehan as he is sort of the only surprise guy left. Not super confident on any of these, but I will keep myself unspoiled.

Old 05-16-21, 10:03 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

That shot of Peters going back for the forgotten coffee was too big of a tell. I knew he’d be a goner soon.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (05-20-21)
Old 05-16-21, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Well that was an "OMG!" moment at the end of this week's show. Reminded me of that scene in "House of Cards" where the girl was pushed in front of the train. No one was expecting that and I literally jumped out of my seat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/a...episode-5.html

Last edited by Daytripper; 05-16-21 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-17-21, 06:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

The scene of the drive home after Mare finds out about here mom's affair was great
The following 4 users liked this post by MrX:
Abob Teff (05-20-21), Bandoman (05-18-21), Deftones (05-18-21), Giantrobo (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
The scene of the drive home after Mare finds out about here mom's affair was great
Or when she called her mom a homewrecker under her breath as she was leaving for her date. And they weren't even talking about that affair. They were discussing the outfit she was wearing and the mom was trying to get her to wear the red dress. That was comedy gold.
Abob Teff (05-20-21)
Old 05-17-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I had been thinking that Mare reminds me of "Clarice Starling" but with a little more maturity and confidence. That, whole scene with Zabel at the end even gave me SotL vibes.

Oh and can we stop to appreciate how good Kate looked on her date with Zabel?
Bandoman (05-18-21)
Old 05-17-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since there's two more episodes left, looks like it has really opened up now. My theory is that
Spoiler:
it's a town conspiracy between the men. They get their rocks off kidnapping the young females. The random guy that owned the bar, he was the wrangler of the group.

Old 05-17-21, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I had been thinking that Mare reminds me of "Clarice Starling" but with a little more maturity and confidence. That, whole scene with Zabel at the end even gave me SotL vibes.
I was just telling my friend that that scene had the intensity of "SotL" and "Seven" combined.
Giantrobo (05-17-21)
Old 05-17-21, 07:33 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Oh and can we stop to appreciate how good Kate looked on her date with Zabel?
Was thinking the same thing. The final bit was pretty intense. I know it's supposed to be a one season type of thing but I would definitely watch another.
Giantrobo (05-18-21)
Old 05-17-21, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Since there's two more episodes left, looks like it has really opened up now. My theory is that
Spoiler:
it's a town conspiracy between the men. They get their rocks off kidnapping the young females. The random guy that owned the bar, he was the wrangler of the group.

I had a thought like this too but it would be too similar to Big Sky.
Old 05-17-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Still looks like the abductions aren't related to Erin's death. But that could be a trick to fool people as well.

They're just throwing a few very guilty-looking suspects each episode and will rule them out within the same episode or an episode or two later. They're basically throwing everything at the wall to try and fool the viewer. And of course everyone in this town has some dark secret.

Predictable about Zabel. Pretty much telegraphed that earlier on in the episode (ie. not taking risks hasn't gotten him anywhere).
Lots of cliched dumbness as well. 2 big blows to the head of the kidnapper, and Mare doesn't even grab his gun or even hit him a few more times first. And of course he's able to get up from that without any concussion issues.

Loved Erin's "ear surgery" envelope of money. It's a good thing Erin labelled it so she doesn't confuse it with her other envelopes of cash.

Didn't know Phyllis Somerville (the actress who played Betty that died at the beginning of the show in the car crash/electrical pole) actually died in July 2020 and this was her last role. I remember her most from her role in The Big C. I guess this series was filmed around 10 months ago at least.

Last edited by Coral; 05-17-21 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-18-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a write up!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...box=1621341636
Bandoman (05-19-21)
Old 05-18-21, 05:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Loved Erin's "ear surgery" envelope of money. It's a good thing Erin labelled it so she doesn't confuse it with her other envelopes of cash.

Old 05-19-21, 06:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
That's a good reivew.

And I did NOT see that death coming. That came out of the blue for me, and it was sudden, shocking and effective.
Boondock Saint (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 10:10 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Predictable about Zabel. Pretty much telegraphed that earlier on in the episode (ie. not taking risks hasn't gotten him anywhere).
Lots of cliched dumbness as well. 2 big blows to the head of the kidnapper, and Mare doesn't even grab his gun or even hit him a few more times first. And of course he's able to get up from that without any concussion issues.
Yeah, that whole sequence bugged me. First, an absolutely lightening fast headshot by the bad guy, but of course Mare's able to get the jump on him, which you knew should somehow would w/2 eps. left.
Old 05-20-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Thank you Bandoman! Good observation.

Is anybody else getting the sense that this is not going to be a "fair mystery" ... meaning, the killer is going to be some random person, not anybody we have met.

I'm pretty sure the killer and the kidnapper are going to be different people though. Maybe the kidnapper is a rando and the killer is somebody we have met. (I'm betting on the uncle with the beard.)
I hate to quote myself to start, but ...

OK, Bandoman explained why they actually paid close attention to detail with the interrogation scene ... but WTF with the cop approaching the car with powerlines on it?! NO NO NO NO NEVER AND NO. That was just my first issue with this episode ... more later ...

Since I am quoting ... I was 2 for 2 on what we know so far ... (3 for 3 if you count the priest reveal, but I see I didn't post that here; only discussed it with my wife.)

Originally Posted by dex14
That shot of Peters going back for the forgotten coffee was too big of a tell. I knew he’d be a goner soon.
Yes, there were many tired tropes telegraphing it ... but it still made me jump.

Originally Posted by Coral
Still looks like the abductions aren't related to Erin's death. But that could be a trick to fool people as well.

They're just throwing a few very guilty-looking suspects each episode and will rule them out within the same episode or an episode or two later. They're basically throwing everything at the wall to try and fool the viewer. And of course everyone in this town has some dark secret.

So the next few episodes will be about how the investigation is closed because they "caught the klller" but Mare doesn't believe it so she keeps working the case anyway ...

Sorry, but this episode was well done bad TV. From the opening to the telegraphed foreshadowing to the "already seen it in Silence of the Lambs" ending. It was lazy in a way that the rest of the show has not been.

Dave Ramsey would have been proud of her.

Old 05-20-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I hate to quote myself to start, but ...

Sorry, but this episode was well done bad TV. From the opening to the telegraphed foreshadowing to the "already seen it in Silence of the Lambs" ending. It was lazy in a way that the rest of the show has not been.
Very good description. It's got people hooked and talking about it.
Old 05-20-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,189 Likes on 4,216 Posts

I thought it was great. I can roll with tropes if the product is entertaining and still surprising in parts. I am still a huge fan of this series.
Old 05-24-21, 12:29 AM

What's in that picture?

It's gonna be a long week until next Sunday night.
Old 05-24-21, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I bet it is not the brother we suspect. The receipt was intentionally vague.
Old 05-24-21, 12:40 AM

Good point on the receipt.

Question : Whose Gun and tackle box was that? I think it was John’s.

Special for using my favorite song of 2020 - “I Know The End” by Phoebe Bridgers in Siobhan’s break-down scene.
Old 05-24-21, 12:57 AM

It just occurred to me that either Kete Winslet or Anya Taylor Joy is NOT going to win an Emmy for their work. 😢
Old 05-24-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I bet it is not the brother we suspect. The receipt was intentionally vague.
I watched this late, so my memory is already foggy... what receipt?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.