Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Great visual at the end with the blood on the shield as he’s holding it. Evil Captain America. This was a good solid episode.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (04-10-21)
Old 04-10-21, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (S1E04) -- "The Whole World is Watching" -- 4/9/21

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The show was never supposed to be a "Buddy Comedy", but Disney+/Marvel kind of hyped that aspect of it a lot more than it actually applies. Almost as if they were selling a Tango & Cash-styled rivalry whilst on a spy caper of sorts. There's really not that much of it in the show and most of that "comedy", quite frankly, doesn't land at all. It's forced.
I won't argue that some of the comedy has felt forced, but I think it was especially prominent in those first couple of episodes. I tend to not watch advertisements and trailers too much, so I really don't know how they're trying to hype it. I just know how it played for me.
Old 04-11-21, 02:10 AM

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
There are no more super serum doses anyways.
Zemo didn't take any? Smash 'em all... except... just... one?...
VinVega (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 08:10 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Zemo didn't take any? Smash 'em all... except... just... one?...
Zemo thought he’d smashed ‘em all, but there was one that rolled away. Go figure.
Old 04-11-21, 08:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

doesn't Falcon get superpowers in the comics from a blood transfusion from Steve Rogers? I'm just saying, you can't go back to the MCU with a human powered Captain America.
VinVega (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 10:15 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
doesn't Falcon get superpowers in the comics from a blood transfusion from Steve Rogers? I'm just saying, you can't go back to the MCU with a human powered Captain America.
Sam is going to get some juice, there's no doubt about it (possibly from Karli's blood or some lost and found vial of super soldier serum). He's also going to get the shield. That was the whole point of this series and I think they've allowed Sam's character to share his lack of desire for the shield, but that he will in the end reluctantly take it as he really is the best man for the job other than Steve Rogers. Bucky is too tainted to be Captain America in my opinion.

Fake Captain America is such a douche. They are going to kill him off. He deserves it. He's such an asshole.

This episode was the best in the series so far for me. It showed Karli is a complex character and Sam can see that there is still good in her. They connected on some level. Very dark ending which stepped it up a notch in my opinion. Hopefully they can keep it going for the last 2 episodes.
Old 04-11-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

If Sam ends up taking the serum and becomes Cap, I hope the resolve something with Bucky. That ending of End Game always pissed me off. Bucky just pointed out the man on the bench and had no goodbye with Steve.
When this show was announced, I had hoped that they showed Steve meeting up with Bucky as he was returning the stones. Maybe they talk about Sam and the shield. I know he was a bad guy for a long time, but they were lifelong friends. He deserves better.
Old 04-11-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

^ No serum left to take.
Old 04-11-21, 01:02 PM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

It wouldn’t surprise me if they “found” more. Maybe there’s a different cemetery with another hidden stash.
VinVega (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the blood transfusion with Karli is a more likely scenario.

OTOH, I'm of the mind they may just retire the title of Captain America altogether. Walker's actions are the perfect rationale for that to happen.

Old 04-12-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

not sure this has been covered upstream as I am not up to date on the series but WTF. The actor playing the new Cap. has left social media and is getting death threats? I wish this was a joke...

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/falc...ptain-america/
Old 04-12-21, 09:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Do they know his dad is a Ceslestial?
The following 2 users liked this post by E Unit:
Bandoman (04-12-21), majorjoe23 (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 09:55 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm also in the "like but not love" camp. I do love Zemo and the chemistry between him and Sam and Bucky. I thought the Wakandas felt totally superfluous except to give us some "cool" fight scenes.

I'm wondering if they're heading for comic book territory now:

Spoilers for old comic books
Spoiler:
Captain America gets assassinated and Bucky takes over. Though in this instance, it seems like they're leaning towards Sam taking over somehow.
Old 04-12-21, 10:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I thought the Wakandas felt totally superfluous except to give us some "cool" fight scenes.
It did add to New Cap's desire to take the serum. He got his ass handed to him by "normal" people. Extremely well-trained people, but still "normal". He even said that right after the fight, how they weren't even super soldiers.
IBJoel (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
It did add to New Cap's desire to take the serum. He got his ass handed to him by "normal" people. Extremely well-trained people, but still "normal". He even said that right after the fight, how they weren't even super soldiers.
This and also they provide a foil to US Agent's "jurisdiction" idea and the subtext of US interventionism.
Old 04-12-21, 12:41 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

This is so different from WandaVision and so, so good. I agree that Sam is going toi get the serum one way or another by the end of the series.
Old 04-12-21, 12:41 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

IBJoel (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
not sure this has been covered upstream as I am not up to date on the series but WTF. The actor playing the new Cap. has left social media and is getting death threats? I wish this was a joke...

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/falc...ptain-america/
Wyatt Russell was never on social media.
Old 04-12-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Never, and I mean NEVER never, ever, consider news from We Got This Covered in any way legitimate. That site is clickbait of the absolute worst kind.
The following 6 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
IBJoel (04-12-21), majorjoe23 (04-13-21), stingermck (04-12-21), story (04-15-21), The Valeyard (04-14-21), Why So Blu? (04-13-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-21, 07:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

This series has far surpassed anything I could have thought of this being about. It’s an actual mystery story. And it’s a great mystery story at that.

This isn’t like an MCU movie each week, with bombs, explosions, superhero's oozing everywhere, but a high quality, great acting, limited run mystery story with some superhero’s and an arch villain who’s more comic relief, but Zemo, played brilliantly by Daniel Bruhl (always liked him since movie Rush), is justified, in a way. And really only wanted to get back at Avengers for killing his family in Sokovia and anyone associated with serum, which is odd why he hasn’t tried taking some shot at Bucky since he used him, got what he wanted and wants all super soldiers dead. The new Captain too, I would assume. Boy, it’s too bad he didn’t get his father, Kurt’s good looks. His face is so punchable. And I haven’t said that in a long time.

But, of course Zemo worked with Hydra and killed T’Chaka which is why Wakanda wants him so bad, but def bad.

But, this series has gripped me in a way I never expected it would, has me wanting to solve this riddle and see what the, what I have to think, is going to be a great finale. Up until now, this series has been a great limited event!
Old 04-14-21, 09:26 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Ah, fair point.

I'm trying hard not to watch that trailer. I feel like D+ spoiled a lot with the trailers for WandaVision.
Old 04-14-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
This series has far surpassed anything I could have thought of this being about. It’s an actual mystery story. And it’s a great mystery story at that.

This isn’t like an MCU movie each week, with bombs, explosions, superhero's oozing everywhere, but a high quality, great acting, limited run mystery story with some superhero’s and an arch villain who’s more comic relief, but Zemo, played brilliantly by Daniel Bruhl (always liked him since movie Rush), is justified, in a way. And really only wanted to get back at Avengers for killing his family in Sokovia and anyone associated with serum, which is odd why he hasn’t tried taking some shot at Bucky since he used him, got what he wanted and wants all super soldiers dead. The new Captain too, I would assume. Boy, it’s too bad he didn’t get his father, Kurt’s good looks. His face is so punchable. And I haven’t said that in a long time.

But, of course Zemo worked with Hydra and killed T’Chaka which is why Wakanda wants him so bad, but def bad.

But, this series has gripped me in a way I never expected it would, has me wanting to solve this riddle and see what the, what I have to think, is going to be a great finale. Up until now, this series has been a great limited event!
What is the mystery story exactly? Who is the broker? That does not strike me as some great mystery.
The following 2 users liked this post by spainlinx0:
Hokeyboy (04-14-21), IBJoel (04-14-21)
Old 04-14-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Ah, fair point.

I'm trying hard not to watch that trailer. I feel like D+ spoiled a lot with the trailers for WandaVision.
That line was part of this episode. I didn't watch the trailer, but I definitely saw him mention that after getting his ass beat.
Old 04-14-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm lukewarm on this show. Where WandaVision was a Friday night must watch, this show is a 'I'll watch when I get around to it,' which was last night for this most recent episode. I agree with most here, it was the best episode of the series so far.

Best case scenario, for me, is Sam gets the serum and shield by the end of the series, although that seems like a long way to go with only two episodes left. It also seems like a pretty big step to take in a streaming series rather than in a feature film. I could see a lot of people who don't watch this show being pretty lost going into the next MCU film where Falcon is suddenly superhuman with the shield.

And the new Captain America looks like such a doofus. I just can't get over it. Did they even have him try on the helmet before filming began? Although once I heard who Russel's parents are his casting makes much more sense.
Old 04-14-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
What is the mystery story exactly? Who is the broker? That does not strike me as some great mystery.
Las Vegas odds have the Mandarin at 3:1 and Victor Von Doom at 8:1.

Reed Richards is 42:1. [/s]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.