DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Ally McBeal Revival In Development; Calista Flockhart Eyed to Return (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652700-ally-mcbeal-revival-development%3B-calista-flockhart-eyed-return.html)

dex14 03-26-21 11:58 AM

Ally McBeal Revival In Development; Calista Flockhart Eyed to Return

The Dancing Baby’s about to have a rebirth.

An Ally McBeal limited series revival is in the early stages of development, with titular leading lady Calista Flockhart being eyed to reprise her iconic role. The series’ creator, David E. Kelley, would be involved in the potential sequel series an an exec producer, but a female auteur would likely take the showrunner reins, as Kelly himself previously hinted.

“I’d be open to the idea of Ally McBeal being done again, but I don’t think it should be done by me. If it were going to be done, it really should be done by a woman,” he told The Hollywood Reporter back in 2018. “If it’s going to be new, it should be new and different. And I did it: 100 hours.”

Ally McBeal became an instant pop culture phenomenon when the quirky legal drama premiered on Fox in 1997, winning the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series, landing on the cover of Time magazine, and turning Flockhart into a household name (revisit the pilot’s biggest moments here). The series also became known for pushing the kind of sexual boundaries — particularly within the workplace — that would be verboten in the #MeToo era.

In addition to Flockhart, the OG ensemble included Courtney Thorne-Smith, Greg Germann, Lisa Nicole Carson, Jane Krakowski, Peter MacNicol and Gil Bellows. Portia de Rossi and Lucy Liu joined the cast in Season 2. In Season 4, Robert Downey Jr. came on board as a major love interest for Flockhart.

A network/streamer is not attached to the project, but Hulu would be one logical destination for Ally considering it’s under the same Disney corporate umbrella as the show’s studio, Twentieth Television (which declined to comment for this story). Additionally, Hulu is currently home to all five seasons of the show.
https://tvline.com/2021/03/26/ally-m...khart-revival/

E Unit 03-26-21 12:03 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Revival In Development; Calista Flockhart Eyed to Return

Something about the 90's archaic computer generated dancing baby is something I don't think will quite resonate with today's American audience. Neither will this show for that matter.

Paff 03-26-21 12:21 PM

Who asked for this? Lrrrr, ruler of planet Omicron Persei 8?

Josh-da-man 03-26-21 12:27 PM

I never "got" the whole dancing baby thing.

I remember that little fucker being everywhere in the mid-90s, and thought it was annoying.

But I still get a good laugh out of the piss-take Millennium did on it...

Mike86 03-26-21 12:33 PM

I know it was popular back in the day, but has this show been relevant at all since it ended? I can’t even think of the last time it was referenced or talked about.

milo bloom 03-26-21 02:02 PM

I was about to ask the same, I mean, I've collected 3 of the 4 soundtrack CDs they released for the show, but I haven't rewatched since the first run. Is it even on streaming anywhere?

windom 03-26-21 02:15 PM

Hopefully they can find Lisa Nicole Carson.

Groucho 03-26-21 04:57 PM

Almost 25 years later and we are still arguing about gender and bathrooms. It's never been more relevant!

RichC2 03-26-21 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13911608)
I was about to ask the same, I mean, I've collected 3 of the 4 soundtrack CDs they released for the show, but I haven't rewatched since the first run. Is it even on streaming anywhere?

It's all on Hulu. Season 1 is 4:3, Seasons 2 thru 5 are 16:9.

That change alone makes it seem like there was a decade between seasons.

movieguru 03-26-21 06:55 PM

It says that Calista Flockhart is being eyed to reprise her iconic role. They make it sound like they had other people in consideration for the role at some point.

MysterioMan007 03-26-21 07:14 PM

I never even saw the original show until after it was off the air. Even then, I didn't see the appeal. I'm a completist in the sense that once I start something, I feel I have to finish it. This show was up and down for me. Sometimes, it was funny. Other times, watching it felt like torture. I did enjoy me some Lucy Liu, though. I don't think this will hit like it did in the 90's.

clckworang 03-26-21 07:27 PM

I remember really liking the show when it first started, but I think I dropped around season 3. It really went downhill. I remember hearing Robert Downey Jr. gave it some life again, but I never went back.

The baby was indeed annoying. I could see a revival working depending on how it's done. I remember the show being very focused on gender roles, which is still as relevant as ever. It certainly won't be the pop culture moment it was during the original run, though.

csant 03-27-21 02:37 AM

They will just add shit from today to make it relevant. Which means, I will 100% pass on it.

hdtv00 03-27-21 11:57 PM

Isn't this one of those shows that the music basically fucked releasing it on dvd or streaming. They replaced the music the show had just like they butchered Dawson's Creek music, hell that one they even removed the shows theme song.

Runaway 03-28-21 05:52 AM

I really enjoyed watching Ally McBeal back in the 90s, but the last season was a drag. I just stopped watching and only returned for the finally.

cultshock 03-29-21 05:31 PM

I watched it off and on when it originally aired, but it never really clicked for me. I forgot about that annoying baby, it seemed fucking lame 25 years ago. :lol:

dvd-4-life 03-29-21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 13912133)
Isn't this one of those shows that the music basically fucked releasing it on dvd or streaming. They replaced the music the show had just like they butchered Dawson's Creek music, hell that one they even removed the shows theme song.

I bought the dvd's from other region's and can't remember it being a problem(but then I can't remember shit).

ben12 03-30-21 08:13 PM

The dancing baby was supposed to be dumb. It was a visual reminder of her biological clock taunting her. If you ever meet someone that thought the baby was funny on its own, completely out of context, like, “Haha baby funny!” run away from them as fast as you can.

Paff 03-30-21 09:43 PM

Wasn't it also the first time an internet meme was used in a TV show or film?

Josh-da-man 03-31-21 08:55 AM

It probably would have. I think that dancing baby was the first "meme" to go "viral." It would have been around 1996 or so, in the early days on the 'net, before most people were on it. Those were the days of AOL and Compuserve.

Double_Oh_7 04-01-21 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 13911768)
I remember really liking the show when it first started, but I think I dropped around season 3. It really went downhill. I remember hearing Robert Downey Jr. gave it some life again, but I never went back.

RDJ was very popular on the show. But when he got busted again for drugs and got fired, the ratings plummeted.

Runaway 04-01-21 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 13914139)
RDJ was very popular on the show. But when he got busted again for drugs and got fired, the ratings plummeted.

He was leaning a lot in door frames on Ally McBeal. I always asked myself if he should look cool or just couldn't stay straight because he was so high on drugs.

hdtv00 04-02-21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 13912911)
I bought the dvd's from other region's and can't remember it being a problem(but then I can't remember shit).

This show was always on dvd for years just not in the US. And the music copyright issues don't apply to foreign releases sometimes. Dawson's I don't think it exist anywhere but original broadcast airings without nearly every song being replaced including it's own theme song.

dex14 08-19-22 05:05 PM

Count Dooku 08-19-22 05:15 PM

So, television series development is basically just looking at lists of old TV shows and then googling to see which stars are still alive.