Reload this Page >

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E01) - “New World Order” - 3/19/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E01) - “New World Order” - 3/19/21

Old 03-20-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Re: The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (S1E01) - “New World Order” - 3/19/21

One of my co-workers had a friend who worked on this show. He said the director Kari Skogland was very much a newbie with this type of show. She basically just directed the dramatic scenes and the stunt coordinator and a 2nd unit director handled the action sequences.
Old 03-20-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 344 Likes on 245 Posts

I enjoyed it - already dig the characters (looking forward to some Sharon Carter - she was credited, but didn't show), and the production design was out of this world. I liked how they skipped all around the globe. I figured it would just be setup, and I'm sure the story will kick in soon enough.
Old 03-20-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 853 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by collven View Post
No one in the episode said he was dead, just "gone". I don't think he's dead.
I mean maybe not, but at the point we saw him last as an old man in Endgame he would have been in his hundreds. Also the scene at the Smithsonian with Sam donating the shield seemed like a memorial in ways. Not that we need to see Steve’s death, but I would be curious to know if he has passed and if so when it happened in the timeline.
Old 03-20-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
We know you were involved with saving the universe, but.......we can't help you with that loan. Would it really be necessary explaining the five year gap? That would be like explaining the pandemic to someone a few years down the road.
The company I work for had to explain the pandemic already. The company's credit has suffered and certain credit lines were closed because we were in the red for 3 months last year. Oh, you mean those three months where the government shut down all non-essential businesses? Bank responds with, "well, some other companies weren't in the red during those months." Some other businesses could still run entirely while WFH, but that doesn't mean all businesses can. The bank doesn't care about circumstances, it's all about mitigating risk to them, using the formulations they've used for decades, pandemic be damned.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-20-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

As cliched as it sounds that bank scene is pretty normal. The real life stuff is that it is true that black folks are denied loans or charged a higher interest rate than white people. My issue with the whole thing is that the loan officer was one of these "can I get a selfie with you" type of star fuckers. I would have knocked his ass out for continuously asking that while denying the loan. The guy was a twerp.
IBJoel (03-21-21)
Old 03-20-21, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

That was a fun episode, but that also looked like the most boring date ever, especially for the restaurant worker, asking all the questions, hosting the date at her place of work where she just spent the whole day, then getting bailed on.
Old 03-20-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 344 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I mean maybe not, but at the point we saw him last as an old man in Endgame he would have been in his hundreds. Also the scene at the Smithsonian with Sam donating the shield seemed like a memorial in ways. Not that we need to see Steve’s death, but I would be curious to know if he has passed and if so when it happened in the timeline.
I'm sure the super-soldier serum helps him live well into his hundreds. Not that we'll see him again.
Though there was a storyline in the comics where he did get old, but then young again. So if Chris Evans ever wants another go at the character, the opportunity is there.
Old 03-20-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts

This was perfectly fine. I'll admit that WandaVision grabbed me quicker, and I think had a richer look to it. But I'm definitely in it for the duration. I'm supposed to watch it with a friend, so we'll see what a second viewing does for me.
Old 03-20-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I'm sure the super-soldier serum helps him live well into his hundreds. Not that we'll see him again.
Though there was a storyline in the comics where he did get old, but then young again. So if Chris Evans ever wants another go at the character, the opportunity is there.
In the comics, it does slow his aging significantly. He spent decades in an alternate dimension (where time moved more closely) and didn't look any older when he got back home.

The comic story you're referring to was one where he lost his super soldier serum, so his body reverted to its natural age.

Of course, the movies can do whatever they want. Everyone's just making it up as they go along.
Old 03-20-21, 10:08 PM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought the opening action sequence was pretty amazing, but the rest of this bored me to tears. I know they have to set the ground work for the important story beats but man... sitting through like 10 minutes of Falcon trying to get a bank loan is where I draw the line lol.
Old 03-20-21, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The company I work for had to explain the pandemic already. The company's credit has suffered and certain credit lines were closed because we were in the red for 3 months last year. Oh, you mean those three months where the government shut down all non-essential businesses? Bank responds with, "well, some other companies weren't in the red during those months." Some other businesses could still run entirely while WFH, but that doesn't mean all businesses can. The bank doesn't care about circumstances, it's all about mitigating risk to them, using the formulations they've used for decades, pandemic be damned.
I understand that. My issue is having to point out a five year gap and reasoning for it when half of the planet disappeared. There was a good chance that the loan officer joined him in the five years of non-existence. However, isn't the Falcon currently employed or is he a freelancing superhero looking for a paycheck? You add the request for a selfie right after that and it made the scene dumb.
Old 03-21-21, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts

I understand that. My issue is having to point out a five year gap and reasoning for it when half of the planet disappeared.
The loan officer likely knew why there was probably a 5 year gap, but the bank rules mean that it looks bad on the credit history, regardless of actual reasoning. Considering the bank also revoked the "guaranteed loan" program Sam was relying on, it seemed the bank was just looking for any excuse to deny loans
Old 03-21-21, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 697 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
As cliched as it sounds that bank scene is pretty normal. The real life stuff is that it is true that black folks are denied loans or charged a higher interest rate than white people. My issue with the whole thing is that the loan officer was one of these "can I get a selfie with you" type of star fuckers. I would have knocked his ass out for continuously asking that while denying the loan. The guy was a twerp.
I agree. It felt unfortunately realistic that they were just like, "Well we don't really care about you or your 'situation' because of reasons you can probably figure out."
Why So Blu? (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker View Post
I thought the opening action sequence was pretty amazing, but the rest of this bored me to tears. I know they have to set the ground work for the important story beats but man... sitting through like 10 minutes of Falcon trying to get a bank loan is where I draw the line lol.

Pretty much my opinion. This first episode really came down heavy with the woke factor. Hope the whole series isn't like that.
Old 03-21-21, 11:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 181 Posts

the opening was fantastic.

the rest, pretty good... I liked the bank scene. Exposing the hypocrisy of it all.

Is US Agent a meth head? LOL.

Last edited by TGM; 03-21-21 at 03:02 PM.
Why So Blu? (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 12:29 PM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Pretty much my opinion. This first episode really came down heavy with the woke factor. Hope the whole series isn't like that.
Gross. There's nothing "woke factor" about showing a character going through tough financial times. My only point was it can be boring to watch. Don't use my post as a way to rubber stamp whatever you're using the dumb phrase "woke factor" to mean.
The following 3 users liked this post by New Lurker:
IBJoel (03-21-21), Jay G. (03-21-21), spainlinx0 (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by New Lurker View Post
Gross. There's nothing "woke factor" about showing a character going through tough financial times. My only point was it can be boring to watch. Don't use my post as a way to rubber stamp whatever you're using the dumb phrase "woke factor" to mean.

You are correct, and I see your point. I cannot really see a way to discuss this further without taking this thread way off topic, so I will refrain.
Old 03-21-21, 08:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 608 Likes on 522 Posts

This was fucking great. Great production value. Marvel movie like quality. The first action scene with Sam near Libya was outstanding and no where near tv level effects. Just great story too. Sam was definitely the stoic and Bucky the heart and a few laughs. And Sebastian Stan really has become a favorite of mine in whatever he is in now.

Great pairing and what an incredible start.

A very nice after Endgame continuation.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-21-21 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 08:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 608 Likes on 522 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen the credits of a tv episode run for 5 minutes. I will likely watch this one more time with my daughter.
never seen Wandavision or The Mandalorian?
Old 03-21-21, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
One of my co-workers had a friend who worked on this show. He said the director Kari Skogland was very much a newbie with this type of show. She basically just directed the dramatic scenes and the stunt coordinator and a 2nd unit director handled the action sequences.
Pretty sure this is the standard for MCU movies also, probably with some exceptions.
Old 03-21-21, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 752 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
This was fucking great. Great production value. Marvel movie like quality. The first action scene with Sam near Libya was outstanding and no where near tv level effects. Just great story too. Sam was definitely the stoic and Bucky the heart and a few laughs. And Sebastian Stan really has become a favorite of mine in whatever he is in now.

Great pairing and what an incredible start.

A very nice after Endgame continuation.
You said it! Watching that opening sequence all I could think is how far TV has come since action TV was Knight Rider. :P
Old 03-22-21, 12:41 AM

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

My son sent this to me... I about died.

The following 6 users liked this post by Goldberg74:
B.A. (03-22-21), Bandoman (03-22-21), Hokeyboy (03-22-21), IBJoel (03-22-21), tanman (03-30-21), Why So Blu? (03-22-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-21, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts

Why was Sam's sister freaked out before they introduced the new Captain America?
Old 03-22-21, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 340 Likes on 269 Posts

It’s nice to know that Bucky has used dating apps.

It’s nice to see the behind the scenes and every day stuff with these heroes so I’m okay with the first episode.
Old 03-22-21, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Did I miss something? They showed that new Cap reveal like we're supposed to know who that guy is. Not much of a cliffhanger if you're sitting there going, "I'm sorry, and you are...?"
Why So Blu? (03-22-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.