Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

John Grisham's A Time for Mercy starring Matthew McConaughey in the works at HBO as limited series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Grisham's A Time for Mercy starring Matthew McConaughey in the works at HBO as limited series

Old 03-18-21, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,580 Posts

https://deadline.com/2021/03/time-to...le-1234716830/

25 years after playing the role that helped launch his career in A Time To Kill,Matthew McConaughey may be getting ready to make his return to the courtroom. Sources tell Deadline, HBO has acquired the rights to the John Grisham novel, A Time For Mercy, the sequel to Grishamís classic novel, and are developing it as a limited series with McConaughey in final negotiations to reprise the role of defense attorney, Jake Brigance. Sources say the series would be 8-10 episodes with Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who served as Warner Bros. exec in the 90s when A Time to Kill was greenlit, is on to produce.

The original novel was set in Clanton, Mississippi and followed a fearless young lawyer as he defends a black man accused of murdering two white men who raped his ten-year-old daughter. The case turned the small town into a boilerplate of tension that includes the inciting violent retribution and revenge from the Ku Klux Klan. The novel was another Grisham hit and Warner Bros. quickly moved to turn the book into a movie, tapping the late Joel Schumacher to direct and setting an A-list cast to star in the film. While the film is filled with a number of movie stars like Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson and Kiefer and Donald Sutherland, Schumacher decided to tap McConaughey, a relative unknown at the time, to star. The film went on to be a hit, put McConaughey on the map of leading men and is still considered one of the best Grisham adaptations to date.
In A Time For Mercy, Brigance finds himself embroiled in a deeply divisive trial when the court appoints him attorney for Drew Gamble, a timid sixteen-year-old boy accused of murdering a local deputy. Many in Clanton want a swift trial and the death penalty, but Brigance digs in and discovers that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Briganceís fierce commitment to saving Drew from the gas chamber puts his career and the safety of his family on the line.

A Time For Mercy is actually the third book of Grishams to feature the Brigance character with the second being Sycamore Row, which was released in 2013. There was never a discussion to adapt that book but when Grisham made it be known that a third Brigance novel was on its way in 2020, McConaughey was drawn to the idea of returning to the role that helped launch his career.

Though McConaughey has spent a lot of last year promoting his memoir Greenlights on his social media, he did take time in the fall to promote A Time For Mercy on his Instagram prior to its release, giving many fans hope that they one day would see him reprise the role, not knowing that Oscar-winner was already in talks to make his return. As for the decision to go the limited series route rather then make it into a film, the decision was made to allow the whole story to unfold and dive deeper into all the characters involved in the book rather then cut corners in a two hour movie. This also marks McConaugheyís return to HBO after following his Emmy-nominated work as Rust Cohle in the hit series True Detective.

Sources say HBO is now meeting with writers to pen the series and add that no director is attached at this time either, so production is still a ways off. McConaughey is repped by WME.
Old 03-18-21, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,780 Likes on 2,546 Posts
Re: John Grisham's A Time for Mercy starring Matthew McConaughey in the works at HBO as limited series

I was unaware of that book. This sounds good. 👍
Old 03-18-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: John Grisham's A Time for Mercy starring Matthew McConaughey in the works at HBO as limited series

I wonder how many other cast members they will bring back. I read Sycamore Road, but not this one, but it sounds like a lot of other characters are still around in it (Ashley Judd, Oliver Platt, Charles Dutton, Donald Sutherland).
Old 03-18-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,323 Posts

I know it helped launch his career and most people seem to laud his performance in A Time to Kill but I always thought it was pretty cornball, particularly his closing argument where he gets choked up.

That being said, I think over the last 25 years, McConaughey has improved as an actor and playing a southerner isnít much of a stretch for him. I also enjoy most Grisham movies so Iíd be down for this.
Old 03-19-21, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 246 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I know it helped launch his career and most people seem to laud his performance in A Time to Kill but I always thought it was pretty cornball, particularly his closing argument where he gets choked up.

That being said, I think over the last 25 years, McConaughey has improved as an actor and playing a southerner isnít much of a stretch for him. I also enjoy most Grisham movies so Iíd be down for this.
I liked his performance, it mirrored the character, good but not really up for the job, which was the right fit for Amistad, too. However I'm a big fan of the movie.
Old 03-19-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
That being said, I think over the last 25 years, McConaughey has improved as an actor and playing a southerner isnít much of a stretch for him.
Heís from the South.
Old 03-20-21, 08:27 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Meh, Iím more of a Kevin Grisham fan. 😉
Old 03-21-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The book takes place only five year after the events of A Time to Kill , so I'm guessing they're going to have to make some time changes in adapting for the series. McConnaughey still looks good for his age, but no way will people buy that he's only aged five years. Kind of curious as to why nobody ever adapted Sycamore Road after the success of Time to Kill. I presume because MM wasn't feeling up to it at the time.