Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Handmaidís Tale (Hulu) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 4/28/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-25-21, 03:07 PM

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Let freedom reign. The Handmaid’s Tale, the 15x Emmy-winning series, returns for Season 4 on April 28, 2021, only on Hulu.

About Season 4: The cultural phenomenon picks up where we left off, with June’s fight for freedom against Gilead. But the risks she takes bring unexpected and dangerous new challenges, and her desire for justice and revenge threaten to consume her and destroy her most cherished relationships.
Already renewed for a 5th season.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (02-25-21)
Old 02-25-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The Handmaidís Tale (Hulu) - Season 4 Thread - premieres 4/28/21

Old 02-26-21, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice to finally have a set date!
Old 04-24-21, 06:49 PM

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Uh oh...
Though I’ve kind felt this since Season 2...

The Handmaid's Tale season 4 review: Guys, just end it already
https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-han...ason-4-review/
Old 04-24-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Last season was a mess IMO. I’ll try it but not high hopes.
Old 04-29-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I knocked out the first 3 episodes and I didn't have a problem with them, was entertained
Old 05-09-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I have seen every episode and they have hinted at the use of nuclear weapons in the coup, but I would like to see them delve deeper into that. First 4 episodes were interesting enough.
Spoiler:
To be honest though it would have maybe be a little more in character for June to off herself instead of giving up the location but then the show just ends,

Old 05-13-21, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

The wife and I just started this series last night (S1E1)... it was depressing, to say the least. I'm not 100% sure I can take 40 episodes of something so goddam heavy. Is this show literally 4 seasons of watching the protagonist be miserable and deal with gut-wrenching topics? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself in to so I can mentally prepare (and no, I'm not familiar with the book although my wife is).
Old 05-13-21, 08:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
The wife and I just started this series last night (S1E1)... it was depressing, to say the least. I'm not 100% sure I can take 40 episodes of something so goddam heavy. Is this show literally 4 seasons of watching the protagonist be miserable and deal with gut-wrenching topics? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself in to so I can mentally prepare (and no, I'm not familiar with the book although my wife is).
Yes.
Old 05-13-21, 04:36 PM

The answer is yes, though the series gives you just enough good things to not totally overwhelm. But it is a somewhat brutal watch. Still very very good and often thought provoking television.
Old 05-30-21, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
June is seriously messed up. The scene with Serena is intense and makes me think she's capable of anything.

Old 05-31-21, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by tboogie View Post
Spoiler:
June is seriously messed up. The scene with Serena is intense and makes me think she's capable of anything.

Very true.
Spoiler:
I have a suspicion that she maybe gets traded for Hannah. And she has been capable of anything for quite a while.

Old 06-01-21, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm more than halfway thru S2 now and this show has been fantastic. Stressful but fantastic.
Old 06-16-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, this show has lost all interest on this forum.

Season finale was today. Good stuff, I enjoyed this season and looking forward to the final one next year
Old 06-17-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 561 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, good season. I liked it better than season 3.

The ending of the last episode, though, felt too much like a fantasy, and the way it happened seemed like it all came together too easily. And after all the trouble June went through to escape, now it feels like Joseph and Nick pretty much can do anything they want in Gilead. Seems like they could have just driven her to Canada themselves in the first place.

Also, is there an implication that Serena had slept with her handler--the diplomat guy--before she was arrested? Like, when she was first visiting Canada to see baby Nicole? I was wondering if maybe her baby-to-be could be his, and Fred was shooting blanks.

I don't think they've said that season 5 is for sure going to be the final season.
Old 06-17-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved the finale. That was one of the most satisfying episodes in a long time. I loved the nods to previous seasons as well (the quote on the wall, the finger). I don't know where they'll go from here, but I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Also, is there an implication that Serena had slept with her handler--the diplomat guy--before she was arrested? Like, when she was first visiting Canada to see baby Nicole? I was wondering if maybe her baby-to-be could be his, and Fred was shooting blanks.
I saw an article where the showrunner said that Fred is definitely the father.
The following users liked this post:
Cellar Door (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 452 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
Loved the finale. That was one of the most satisfying episodes in a long time. I loved the nods to previous seasons as well (the quote on the wall, the finger). I don't know where they'll go from here, but I'm looking forward to it.

I saw an article where the showrunner said that Fred is definitely the father.
Interesting. I completely assumed it was the other guy, as well. I thought June was going to blackmail him about it, since she figured Fred was sterile.

I was happy with this episode. That was a pretty satisfying sequence, even if it was very fantasy like. When I heard the truck slowing down, I thought something like that was going to happen, and the mention of no man's land confirmed it.

I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that this was a shortened season, so I was shocked that this was the last episode. I did know it, going in, however.

Old 06-19-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I found season 4 to be more interesting and as a result of "The Wilderness" more satisfying than previous seasons. While I think they have more story to tell (i.e. Hannah, June's fate), I would've been happy with winding it up with what they've established already. The cinematography on this show is always awesome. The one thing I didn't care for so much was Luke's pushing June to use her connections to find Hannah. His wife's just gotten through a trauma of Gilead and her escape from and all he cares about is pushing her to find their daughter. Didn't feel like he had her best interests in mind.
Old 07-07-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So we're now thru S4 E3 (episode 4 tonight I think) and this show is amazing. This is probably the fastest we've binged anything and I cannot believe this isn't in the discussion with Breaking Bad as "Best TV Show Ever". There are problems for sure -- nobody would have put up with June's shit as long as Gilead has... but no show has made me want to choke someone out as much as this one lol. Aunt Lydia and Lt. Stans are some of the most vile characters I've ever seen on TV -- so kudos to their acting abilities.
I really hope this show goes down the path of getting the UN unified to take out Gilead... anything short of Gilead being torn down will disappoint me.
Old 07-07-21, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
I found season 4 to be more interesting and as a result of "The Wilderness" more satisfying than previous seasons. While I think they have more story to tell (i.e. Hannah, June's fate), I would've been happy with winding it up with what they've established already. The cinematography on this show is always awesome. The one thing I didn't care for so much was Luke's pushing June to use her connections to find Hannah. His wife's just gotten through a trauma of Gilead and her escape from and all he cares about is pushing her to find their daughter. Didn't feel like he had her best interests in mind.
I kind of think and feel the show has hinted at it that Luke is really not that great of a guy. He seems very dislikable to me not that June is a barrel of laughs.
Old 07-07-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 561 Likes on 353 Posts

There are problems for sure -- nobody would have put up with June's shit as long as Gilead has...
June has some of the thickest plot armor I've ever seen. It's definitely one of the biggest flaws in the show.

but no show has made me want to choke someone out as much as this one lol. Aunt Lydia and Lt. Stans are some of the most vile characters I've ever seen on TV -- so kudos to their acting abilities.
Ann Dowd ("Aunt Lydia") played an equally as hateable antagonist in The Leftovers (another excellent show). She's very good at it.
Old 07-08-21, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
thickest plot armor
Great description. I'm going to steal that from you going forward

Saw Ep 4 last night (the train to Chicago). I simply don't understand that move. Her husband is north, help is north. War is in Chicago. Maybe it was the ONLY choice she had in that given time but it's still an odd choice. I would love to see side-flashes of characters in other states (Republic of Texas and Chicago) rather than June having to be there.