Superman & Lois (CW) -- Season 1 -- Premieres 2/23/21

Old 02-23-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 772 Likes on 575 Posts
Superman & Lois (CW) -- Season 1 -- Premieres 2/23/21

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23

SERIES PREMIERE

SUPERMAN & LOIS

"Pilot" - (8:00:00-9:30:50 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

SERIES PREMIERE - In SUPERMAN & LOIS, after years of facing megalomaniacal supervillains, monsters wreaking havoc on Metropolis, and alien invaders intent on wiping out the human race, the world's most famous superhero, The Man of Steel aka Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin, "Teen Wolf") and comic books' most famous journalist, Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch, "Grimm"), come face to face with one of their greatest challenges ever - dealing with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today's society. Complicating the already daunting job of raising two boys, Clark and Lois must also concern themselves with whether or not their sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass, "Little Fires Everywhere") and Jordan (Alexander Garfin, "The Peanuts Movie") could inherit their father's Kryptonian superpowers as they grow older. Returning to Smallville to handle some Kent family business, Clark and Lois are reacquainted with Lana Lang (Emmanuelle Chriqui, "Entourage"), a local loan officer who also happens to be Clark's first love, and her Fire Chief husband Kyle Cushing (Erik Valdez, "Graceland"). The adults aren't the only ones rediscovering old friendships in Smallville as the Kent sons are reacquainted with Lana and Kyle's rebellious daughter, Sarah (Inde Navarrette, "Wander Darkly"). Of course, there's never a dull moment in the life of a superhero, especially with Lois' father, General Samuel Lane (Dylan Walsh, "Nip/Tuck") looking for Superman to vanquish a villain or save the day at a moment's notice. Meanwhile, Superman and Lois' return to idyllic Smallville is set to be upended when both a mysterious stranger (Wolé Parks, "All American") and impassioned self-made mogul Morgan Edge (Adam Rayner, "Tyrant") enter their lives. (#101). The episode was directed by Lee Toland Krieger and Todd Helbing wrote the teleplay for the first episode, based on a story by Greg Berlanti and Todd Helbing. Original airdate 2/23/2021. Every episode of SUPERMAN & LOIS will be available to stream on The CW App and CWTV.com the day after broadcast for free and without subscription, log-in or authentication required.

Read more: Listings - SUPERMAN & LOIS on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com Listings - SUPERMAN & LOIS on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com

15 episodes are scheduled for Season 1

Tonight is a 90 minute episode

At 9:30pm ET will be a 30 minute special about the series

This is from the original showrunner of The Flash.

The original thread about when the show was first announced is here:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...coming-cw.html

Old 02-23-21, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: Superman & Lois (CW) -- Season 1 -- Premieres 2/23/21

Hopefully the rumors are true about them taking the reins off of not using a specific character.
Old 02-23-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Special about the series after? You'd think they would have shown it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-23-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 136 Posts

I must have read some speculation at some point as ran with it as fact. I had it in my head that one of the teens they’re raising is
Spoiler:
actually Damian Wayne.

Spoilered just on the off chance it’s true and the synopsis above has some misdirection.
Old 02-23-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I must have read some speculation at some point as ran with it as fact. I had it in my head that one of the teens they’re raising is
Spoiler:
actually Damian Wayne.

Spoilered just on the off chance it’s true and the synopsis above has some misdirection.
100% false.
Old 02-23-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha!! Jim Lee quoting Spider-Man!
Old 02-23-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Spoiler:
actually Damian Wayne.

That wouldn’t be possible with the way the set up who the twins are in this episode.

I like it so far could do without the a-hole husband bit.

Lois Lane the actor is freakishly thin.

Old 02-23-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
Ha!! Jim Lee quoting Spider-Man!

What?
Old 02-23-21, 11:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

The original golden age costume and green car Easter egg at the beginning was neat.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-24-21)
Old 02-24-21, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked it a lot. Probably the best DC CW premiere since The Flash. And it's from the same creator of The Flash. I loved some of the Easter Eggs as well. The board mentioning Donner and Siegel and Shuster was cool. The Fleischer costume was a really cool touch. I liked the little recap at the beginning telling his story and eventually recapping Lois and Clark's relationship.

Not 100% positive, but it appears that this may be Non-Cannon from the Arrowverse, especially with the reveal at the end of the different Lex Luthor. It was obvious that wasn't Jon Cryer. Plus, the Kent bros are 14, so this does not sync up in the timeline of the Arrowverse either. I doubt we'll hear any references to past shows that Clark was in. And this version of him feels different than the one on Supergirl. I kind of figured it was Luthor because I know he's a robotic suit in the comics and a few other incarnations. Geoff Johns was interviewed in the Legacy of Hope special and while they made reference to the Arrowverse, he did say this is basically a reset.

It had a little of Man of Steel, OG Superman 1978 and maybe a little Smallville mixed in. I liked the way it was filmed too. It didn't look like a TV show. I'm cool with them doing something different and not repeating the same shit we already know. Good start and the preview for upcoming episodes looked good too.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-24-21 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 02-24-21, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Loved it.

I'll definitely stick with the series if they don't infect it with the Arrowverse and stay far away from that extra large Team/Ensemble element that seems to ruin most of these superhero shows
Old 02-24-21, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
What?
During the special after the show, Jim Lee was talking about Superman, etc, then says something along the lines of "and as someone once said, with great power comes great responsibility".
Old 02-24-21, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Neitzl View Post
During the special after the show, Jim Lee was talking about Superman, etc, then says something along the lines of "and as someone once said, with great power comes great responsibility".
Be in the show's best interest to lessen the involvement of Lee and Geoff.
​​​​​
Old 02-24-21, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
Loved it.

I'll definitely stick with the series if they don't infect it with the Arrowverse and stay far away from that extra large Team/Ensemble element that seems to ruin most of these superhero shows
I wouldn't mind seeing a Legion of Superheroes one or two part episode next season involving Jordan and Jonathan.
Old 02-24-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
That wouldn’t be possible with the way the set up who the twins are in this episode.

I like it so far could do without the a-hole husband bit.

Lois Lane the actor is freakishly thin.
I don't know about thin, but to me her eyes sometimes look as if they're not parallel to one another, a bit like Marty Feldman or Jack Elam but not as extreme. I think they have corrective surgery for that, but maybe she doesn't mind it.

Overall, I liked the episode. I'm glad they breezed over Supe's origin story. A few nitpicks though... When Superman was just floating in space, why was his cape flowing/moving with no atmosphere? And after Lex stabbed him, why did he fall to Earth? There's no gravity to pull him down, and Lex didn't push him. Why would anyone place a router in a spot that had to be very hard for old Ma Kent to reach whenever it needed resetting? I hope Superboy gets a haircut soon. His 'do looks more ridiculous than Carl's long locks did on The Walking Dead.
Old 02-24-21, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts

Dang, I missed it. Looks like they're going to air a repeat this weekend, though.
Old 02-24-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
I don't know about thin, but to me her eyes sometimes look as if they're not parallel to one another, a bit like Marty Feldman or Jack Elam but not as extreme. I think they have corrective surgery for that, but maybe she doesn't mind it.

Overall, I liked the episode. I'm glad they breezed over Supe's origin story. A few nitpicks though... When Superman was just floating in space, why was his cape flowing/moving with no atmosphere? And after Lex stabbed him, why did he fall to Earth? There's no gravity to pull him down, and Lex didn't push him. Why would anyone place a router in a spot that had to be very hard for old Ma Kent to reach whenever it needed resetting? I hope Superboy gets a haircut soon. His 'do looks more ridiculous than Carl's long locks did on The Walking Dead.
Yeah there is. The Earth is right there!
Old 02-24-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I liked it a lot. Probably the best DC CW premiere since The Flash. And it's from the same creator of The Flash. I loved some of the Easter Eggs as well. The board mentioning Donner and Siegel and Shuster was cool. The Fleischer costume was a really cool touch. I liked the little recap at the beginning telling his story and eventually recapping Lois and Clark's relationship.

Not 100% positive, but it appears that this may be Non-Cannon from the Arrowverse, especially with the reveal at the end of the different Lex Luthor. It was obvious that wasn't Jon Cryer. Plus, the Kent bros are 14, so this does not sync up in the timeline of the Arrowverse either. I doubt we'll hear any references to past shows that Clark was in. And this version of him feels different than the one on Supergirl. I kind of figured it was Luthor because I know he's a robotic suit in the comics and a few other incarnations. Geoff Johns was interviewed in the Legacy of Hope special and while they made reference to the Arrowverse, he did say this is basically a reset.

It had a little of Man of Steel, OG Superman 1978 and maybe a little Smallville mixed in. I liked the way it was filmed too. It didn't look like a TV show. I'm cool with them doing something different and not repeating the same shit we already know. Good start and the preview for upcoming episodes looked good too.
I think this is definitely in-continuity with the Arrowverse. But it's post-Crisis, so some past continuity may be tweaked, like him having twin teenagers instead of one child. Captain Luthor seems to be a different character from the Jon Cryer Luthor, not a replacement. It seems like he might be a refuge from one of the Earths destroyed in Crisis.
Old 02-24-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 02-24-21, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 02-24-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Yeah there is. The Earth is right there!
How far reaching is Earth's gravity? He was in outer space at that point.
Old 02-24-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
How far reaching is Earth's gravity? He was in outer space at that point.
I believe technically Earth's gravity (and every other piece of matter's gravity) reaches across the entire universe. It just has a weaker effect the farther away you get from it. And he was really close to the Earth. It's not like he was in deep space.
Old 02-24-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 260 Likes on 153 Posts

^Yep. The strength of the Earth's gravitational field at the altitude of the International Space Station (~250 miles up) is about 89% as strong as it is at the surface of the Earth.
Old 02-24-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read another review and the person also thought this was completely rebooted from the Arrowverse version of Superman. He noticed there was no reference to the Arrowverse. And of course the Kent bros being teens when they were last mentioned as babies in the last Crisis episode also threw him off. Which is fine with me. If this show wants to be a reboot and separate itself from the other shows, that works for me.

I didn't realize after watching a YouTube video from IGN that Jonathan has comic origin as a super hero.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.