TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superman & Lois (CW) -- Season 1 -- Premieres 2/23/21

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Superman & Lois (CW) -- Season 1 -- Premieres 2/23/21

Originally Posted by Eric F
They will both develop powers, and eventually fight each other.
By season four, both kids will have developed superpowers. I think you can take that to the bank. Will they ever dress up in costumes? Doubtful unless they believe they need a ratings boost.

Maybe the kids end up with different powers or something. I didn't really like how that "power" scan scene went down in the Fortress of Solitude by Jor-El. Could have been handled differently.
Old 03-05-21, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://tvline.com/2021/03/05/superg...n-lois-hiatus/

Superman and Lois is going on a 7 week hiatus on March 30th to free up a timeslot for Supergirl's final season.

It will return in the same timeslot May 18th. Supergirl will then return later in the summer.

So we will get 3 more new episodes of Supes before their break.

Also, Superman and Lois is behind schedule because of the late production start, so they need time to catch up. I believe they didn't film the Pilot episode until November.
Old 03-05-21, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
By season four, both kids will have developed superpowers. I think you can take that to the bank. Will they ever dress up in costumes? Doubtful unless they believe they need a ratings boost.

Maybe the kids end up with different powers or something. I didn't really like how that "power" scan scene went down in the Fortress of Solitude by Jor-El. Could have been handled differently.
Even as a hologram Jor-El is a dick, and Clark is a dick for not taking Jonathan along.

Like father, like son I guess.
Old 03-05-21, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I didn't get the "power scan" technology. Did Jor-El know when he was sending Kal-El to Earth that he gain these powers and abilities to begin with? He would have needed to have that knowledge to put that technology on the ship with his son. In the Golden Age and Silver Age versions it seemed much more random. Jor-El knew Earth was a populated planet that his son could survive on, but wasn't aware that the being there would give him extraordinary powers. With the advanced knowledge, it makes it more intentional and preordained. I prefer it to be just a random fluke that that the planet he was sent to gave him these abilities rather then something that was predestined.
Old 03-05-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I don't exactly remember what Byrne did in MoS but every reinterpretation they did after that including the most recent Bendis one seemed to have Jor el know full well that his son would have powers because of the Yellow Sun, sending him there specifically because he would be a light or whatever to that planet (the same for the Donner films). It actually makes more sense for him to send his infant son in that situation (and for him to have powers from that time) or what's the chances that the baby would actually survive (not just the landing, but from hostiles, etc.) But certainly Jor-el wasn't dad of the year or anything.
Old 03-05-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't exactly remember what Byrne did in MoS but every reinterpretation they did after that including the most recent Bendis one seemed to have Jor el know full well that his son would have powers because of the Yellow Sun, sending him there specifically because he would be a light or whatever to that planet (the same for the Donner films). It actually makes more sense for him to send his infant son in that situation (and for him to have powers from that time) or what's the chances that the baby would actually survive (not just the landing, but from hostiles, etc.) But certainly Jor-el wasn't dad of the year or anything.
I'm gonna go full taffer for a moment, but that was established long before Byrne. In the '78 Donner movie, Jor-El specifically mentions his powers under a Yellow sun. I remember reading some Krypton stories from the 50s-era Curt Swan/Mort Weisenger comics to the same effect.
Old 03-05-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm gonna go full taffer for a moment, but that was established long before Byrne. In the '78 Donner movie, Jor-El specifically mentions his powers under a Yellow sun. I remember reading some Krypton stories from the 50s-era Curt Swan/Mort Weisenger comics to the same effect.
Ah, ok. I mentioned it was the case in the Donner film but I wasn't sure that it was shown pre-Crisis to be that way in the comics themselves.
Old 03-06-21, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

‘Superman & Lois’ Series Premiere Draws 3.25 Million Total Viewers In L+7;

CW To Stream Extended Episodes
https://deadline.com/2021/03/superma...es-1234708245/

I bought the season on Vudu because I hate the CW app and all their commercials. Maybe the extended scenes will be on youtube
Old 03-06-21, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Ah, ok. I mentioned it was the case in the Donner film but I wasn't sure that it was shown pre-Crisis to be that way in the comics themselves.
Oops, you did. And apparently Johnny can't read!
Old 03-07-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Virtually all the solar systems in the DC universe would have had a yellow sun. The Kryptonians could have easily conquered the majority of the DC universe if they choose to do so once they were able to travel beyond their solar system. It didn't seem like there were many that were explorers beyond their own planet though with a few exceptions in different versions. For Jor-El to have known how the yellow sun would affect his son, there would have likely been other Kryptonians that had ventured out of their solar system before.
Old 03-08-21, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Virtually all the solar systems in the DC universe would have had a yellow sun. The Kryptonians could have easily conquered the majority of the DC universe if they choose to do so once they were able to travel beyond their solar system. It didn't seem like there were many that were explorers beyond their own planet though with a few exceptions in different versions. For Jor-El to have known how the yellow sun would affect his son, there would have likely been other Kryptonians that had ventured out of their solar system before.
I don’t know if it’s current canon or more of an Elseworlds thing, but there was once a comic that basically said that Diana’s Amazonians were actually descendants of Kryptonians instead of being from Greek mythology. I always loved the concept. Seems insane to believe that towards the end of Krypton there wasn’t a shitload of Kryptonians jumping ship to these various yellow sun worlds that would give them powers.
Old 03-08-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
Obviously, it depends on the mythology but they always seem to have a reason to prevent total Kryptonian rule. For instance, in some stories Kryptonians are xenophobic (why Jor El does not seem to be is often glossed over) and want nothing to do with other races. Or they worship their sun as their god. In most cases space travel was all but banned for these reasons which is why they ignore Jor El's call to leave the planet, and why baby Kal's ship is considered heretical. I think most stories that show that Jor El knows that the sun will give his son powers are all through science and not practical knowledge.

Even in MoS, there's that storyline where they are somehow limited by their genetic code. I mean he basically finds out he has superpowers and what he wants to do is transform Earth into Krypton where he... doesn't have superpowers anymore.

But if you want to talk logic there's always this gem (which is appropriate to the show thread but may be nsfw as the title indicates):
https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...rd_by_stjepan/
Old 03-09-21, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Even as a hologram Jor-El is a dick, and Clark is a dick for not taking Jonathan along.

Like father, like son I guess.
Finally watched this episode and yeah, as others mentioned as well this stood out to me.

Jor-el I can understand, a little. He seems to have this Eradicator-like focus on keeping the Kryptonian line going so his focus solely on whether his grandkid has powers makes a little sense (I just have a hard time reconciling that with how they made him look).

And I get Supes is a bad parent and he's struggling with it but yeah, the kids have a tight bond and their parents almost have nothing to do with it. Geez.

I wonder where they're going with the whole Luthor/Sam Lane stuff. I can't see Sam turning on his son in law, especially because he's the one that wants him to do more and not less. I'm actually not all that enamored by that part of the story, unless there's something in Luthor's universe that caused an otherwise good Superman to fall. I mean he realizes that Superman prioritizes human life in this universe. But maybe that all ties in with the family stuff somehow.
Old 03-09-21, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Obviously, it depends on the mythology but they always seem to have a reason to prevent total Kryptonian rule. For instance, in some stories Kryptonians are xenophobic (why Jor El does not seem to be is often glossed over) and want nothing to do with other races. Or they worship their sun as their god. In most cases space travel was all but banned for these reasons which is why they ignore Jor El's call to leave the planet, and why baby Kal's ship is considered heretical. I think most stories that show that Jor El knows that the sun will give his son powers are all through science and not practical knowledge.

Even in MoS, there's that storyline where they are somehow limited by their genetic code. I mean he basically finds out he has superpowers and what he wants to do is transform Earth into Krypton where he... doesn't have superpowers anymore.

But if you want to talk logic there's always this gem (which is appropriate to the show thread but may be nsfw as the title indicates):
https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...rd_by_stjepan/
Since earth is in a system with a yellow sun, terraforming shouldn’t have affected his powers.
Old 03-09-21, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Since earth is in a system with a yellow sun, terraforming shouldn’t have affected his powers.
I'm pretty sure the MoS explanation is that something in Krypton's atmosphere filters out the yellow sun's properties. I don't exactly remember because I haven't seen it in a while. It's why Superman had no powers on the Kryptonian ship.
Old 03-09-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It's not just the yellow sun based on the MoS explanation from Jor-El. I feel like in the beginning, Zod wasn't focused on having powers on New Krypton on Earth as much as he was just Ultra Focused, due to his protector DNA, on bringing Krypton back. But once Kal put up a fight and Zod's powers started manifesting...shit got real.

Jor-El has a short bit of narration on the subject. He highlights three sources of Clark's powers. The higher-energy sun, the gravity being milder on Earth, and the 'more nourishing' atmosphere:
Earth's sun is younger and brighter than Krypton's was. Your cells have drunk in its radiation, strengthening your muscles, your skin, your senses. Earth's gravity is weaker, yet its atmosphere is more nourishing. You've grown stronger here than I ever imagined.
  • Earth's sun and weak gravity grants Kryptonians superhuman strength, invulnerability, and speed. You see this by the Kryptonians fighting the human Army and Superman; while in their armor/space-suits, they display these powers.
  • Exposure to Earth's atmosphere grants Kryptonians x-ray vision, heat vision, super-hearing, and (possibly) flight.
You can see this by watching Zod. When his suit's shield is breached (exposing him to Earth's atmosphere), he suddenly has x-ray vision and super-hearing a la Clark's broom closet flashback.

Later, Zod removes his armor/space-suit. Then he shows his capability to fly. So, it's unclear if flight was due to the sun or the atmosphere. When Clark is exposed to Kryptonian atmosphere while destroying the World Engine, it's not clear if he flies through it or just jumps through it.

When Clark is exposed to the Kryptonian atmosphere on the ship, it's disorienting and sickens him. He loses some of his super powers while he adjusts to the Kryptonian atmosphere, but "Jor-El" manipulates the atmosphere on the ship to be similar to Earth, granting him his full powerset. During this sequence, blood is drawn from Clark, but it's unclear if Krytonian metals are simply strong enough to pierce his skin (like the drone that attacked him when he entered the buried scoutship) or if he was physically not invulnerable.
Old 03-09-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

If the kid with emotional issues acts all emotional again tonight I am going to drop the show. I hated teenagers back when I was one.
Old 03-09-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974
If the kid with emotional issues acts all emotional again tonight I am going to drop the show. I hated teenagers back when I was one.
I haven't even seen the episode yet and yet both of us know that's exactly what's going to happen, the show is almost built around it. Probably not the superhero show you're looking for.
Old 03-09-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I haven't even seen the episode yet and yet both of us know that's exactly what's going to happen, the show is almost built around it. Probably not the superhero show you're looking for.
Well yeah it doesn't air for 7 more hours (and you wait a week to watch it anyways )

But yes, this show is built on Superman and Lois and his family. I don't know why some people have such a huge problem with teens and children on TV. I feel like some people think it's like nails on a chalkboard or something.

If some don't like family oriented shows, then fine. Maybe this Superman show isn't for you then.
Old 03-09-21, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well yeah it doesn't air for 7 more hours (and you wait a week to watch it anyways )

But yes, this show is built on Superman and Lois and his family. I don't know why some people have such a huge problem with teens and children on TV. I feel like some people think it's like nails on a chalkboard or something.

If some don't like family oriented shows, then fine. Maybe this Superman show isn't for you then.
About the first point, true.

As an aside, as a kid, I used to hate that so many cartoons felt the need to insert some kid as some kind of way to relate to kids watching it. They would often do stupid crap and then get everyone in trouble (Scott Trakker in MASK, Spike in Transformers, Snarf, Orko, and worst of all, Scrappy Doo, with Inspector Gadget doing the exact opposite).

Obviously this is airing on a network that skews younger, but even beyond that, it's not like both of these kids don't have a point to the way they're behaving, their parents kind of suck.

I saw the theory about Jordan's powers
Spoiler:
that he has to be around his brother in order to wonder twins activate them

and while that makes sense plot wise, I hope that's not the case.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-09-21 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

It totally feels like it’s totally building towards good twin vs. evil twin. I hope that’s not the case since it seems so cliché and obvious. I imagine Jonathan will end up doing something stupid that causes a horrible incident, something that accidentally kills Lana’s daughter, sending Jordan off the deep end. Maybe he even goes to the world of evil black suit Supes for mentoring. I haven’t seen the third episode yet, just in case it has something to confirm or refute any of this.
Old 03-10-21, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, not a great episode this week. But, IMO it still had a purpose and overall it worked. It focused on heavily on the development of the Kent brothers and also gave Lois more to do with her investigation of Edge. I mean she is a title character and they had to develop her story working with the Smallville paper. Superman only had 2 scenes. The opening in China was pretty cool. I guess you could say this was the "budget saving" episode.

I did like the interactions between Jordan and Jonathan and Jordan being the badass defensive back was pretty amusing. Now Clark is the goofy assistant coach to be the extra eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone.

I am curious who that was at the end who zapped the goon with powers who attacked Lois? A Kryptonian?

and some here have criticized Clark saying he's a dick. I think with him being Superman, he was mostly an absentee parent when the boys were growing up in Metropolis and he never really developed the skills at being a good parent. Lois had to take on that job. Now with their family being together in Smallville not around the big city, he's finally learning to be a Dad. And he's going to experience awkwardness dealing with his kids. You have to realize this is taking a completely different spin on Clark/Superman. We've never seen the character as a parent in past incarnations, so we're also experiencing his awkwardness at it without realizing it.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-10-21 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-10-21, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get the premise of the show is that Clark is learning how to be a dad/prioritize his family. I have no issue with that. It's the blatant favoritism that kind of gets me: I don't have twins but I'd think especially with how different they've turned out he would prioritize making them feel equal. Like there was no invulnerability needed to go to the fortress so why (outside of story reasons) take just one? Even the assumption at the very beginning that Jonathan had the powers and not Jordan was kind of cringe worthy.

It still feels like they're avoiding the good twin/evil twin route though we'll see. Every time we get one or the other getting upset, the brothers end up bonding, which is something I really like. Maybe twins vs. dad if something happens to Supes, though.
Old 03-10-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I think both Lois and Clark don't seem to worry about Jonathan. He's basically a well-adjusted, friendly teen. Much what I think most imagine Clark was like as a teenager. All the parenting energy is aimed at Jordan and his emotional troubles. Jonathan seems to realize that Jordan probably needs more help.

I do think it's unfair that Jordan is using his powers to dominate high school kids. In most Superman stories, Clark plays football in high school only if his powers haven't manifested yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by PhantomStranger:
DJariya (03-10-21), Giantrobo (03-12-21)
Old 03-10-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, not a great episode this week. But, IMO it still had a purpose and overall it worked. It focused on heavily on the development of the Kent brothers and also gave Lois more to do with her investigation of Edge. I mean she is a title character and they had to develop her story working with the Smallville paper. Superman only had 2 scenes. The opening in China was pretty cool. I guess you could say this was the "budget saving" episode.

I did like the interactions between Jordan and Jonathan and Jordan being the badass defensive back was pretty amusing. Now Clark is the goofy assistant coach to be the extra eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone.

I am curious who that was at the end who zapped the goon with powers who attacked Lois? A Kryptonian?

and some here have criticized Clark saying he's a dick. I think with him being Superman, he was mostly an absentee parent when the boys were growing up in Metropolis and he never really developed the skills at being a good parent. Lois had to take on that job. Now with their family being together in Smallville not around the big city, he's finally learning to be a Dad. And he's going to experience awkwardness dealing with his kids. You have to realize this is taking a completely different spin on Clark/Superman. We've never seen the character as a parent in past incarnations, so we're also experiencing his awkwardness at it without realizing it.
To each his own, I guess. LOL. I really enjoyed this episode. I thought the opening in China felt a bit like filler, but other than that I liked it, especially when Supes rescued Lois and got into the fight with the guy threatening her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.