Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max) - 4-Part Docuseries, Premiers 2/21/21

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Allen v. Farrow (HBO Max) - 4-Part Docuseries, Premiers 2/21/21

That's a five part tweet that doesn't actually state anything. If he has exculpatory evidence in the court transcripts he should say what it is rather than hint around something unsaid. Whatever he has or thinks he has, the filmmakers aren't going to respond other than to say that they stand by their work. So why is Weide playing coy? We shall see...
Old 02-24-21, 09:18 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

HBO says that six Woody Allen films available for streaming on HBO Max will remain on the service after some online called out the streamer for hosting those films alongside the new docuseries “Allen v. Farrow.”

“These titles will remain available in the library to allow viewers to make their own informed decisions about screening the work,” HBO said in a statement to TheWrap.
Old 02-24-21, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Well, when Woody is asked about a response, he (his lawyer) just issues a statement.
Yep. Why would we give the benefit of the doubt to a guy who dated and married his own teenage stepdaughter. It's not a huge leap to believe this guy could also be a child molester.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (03-19-21)
Old 02-24-21, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Yep. Why would we give the benefit of the doubt to a guy who dated and married his own teenage stepdaughter. It's not a huge leap to believe this guy could also be a child molester.
She wasn’t his step daughter.
Old 02-24-21, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
And she wasn't a teenager.

But other than that, you are spot-on Q
Old 02-24-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
He was her step father figure since he was dating her mother. The fact that you need that distinction to be made is pretty gross.
Old 02-24-21, 10:28 AM

He was her step father figure since he was dating her mother. The fact that you need that distinction to be made is pretty gross.
No, he wasn’t. And that’s from her own words.
Soon-Yi is adamant that Allen was not a stand-in father to her: “I already had a father,” she points out. “He was André Previn, and Mia never married Woody, nor did they ever live together. He was my mother’s boyfriend, plain and simple. He was like a separate entity. I thought Mia had pulled the wool over his eyes by getting him to believe that she was such a great mother. I felt he was not very observant, not worth getting to know. This is why it’s the biggest shock to me that we ended up together.”
You can read her own perspective on things: https://www.vulture.com/2018/09/soon...in-speaks.html
Old 02-24-21, 10:33 AM

So is your assertion that since Woody got into a sexual relationship with his girlfriend's ADULT daughter that he must have molested his own six year old daughter.
I am not saying that it DIDN'T happen, I am waiting to see what is alledged here. But the assumption you made is why I can't totally believe Mia. Of course she was furious and hell bent on ruining Woody's career and life after that.
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a recently divorced couple accusing either that father or the wife's boyfriend of sexually molesting the daughter in joint custody. It's a frequent occurrence.
Old 02-24-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not alleging anything. There was a question of why Woody wasn't getting the benefit of the doubt and I explained that once you start dating the daughter of your girlfriend for ten years as soon as she is legal you should expect that people are going to consider you to be a gross human being and suspect you of other things.

And to answer Dex: Soon Yi saying he wasn't a father figure and nothing happened until she was a adult is meaningless. She was in love with him of course she is not going to say things happened that would get him in trouble.

I wasn't there so I'm not stating anything as fact but if you guys aren't creeped the fuck out by an old guy dating a woman for 10 years and then moving on to her daughter who he knew since she was a child I don't what to say to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Questyen:
Boondock Saint (02-24-21), Hubbub (03-19-21)
Old 02-24-21, 11:13 AM

And to answer Dex: Soon Yi saying he wasn't a father figure and nothing happened until she was a adult is meaningless. She was in love with him of course she is not going to say things happened that would get him in trouble.

I wasn't there so I'm not stating anything as fact but if you guys aren't creeped the fuck out by an old guy dating a woman for 10 years and then moving on to her daughter who he knew since she was a child I don't what to say to you.
Here's what Moses Farrow says on the subject :

Even people who doubt Dylan’s claims of assault, often cling to Woody’s relationship with Soon-Yi as justification for their skepticism about him. The public attacks on Soon-Yi by complete strangers still stagger me, as does the general misinformation that so many people consider fact. She is not Woody’s daughter (adopted, step, or otherwise), nor is she developmentally challenged. (She got a master’s degree in special education from Columbia University!) And the claim that they started dating while she was underage is totally false.

In truth, Woody and Soon-Yi rarely even spoke during her childhood. It was my mother who first suggested, when Soon-Yi was 20, that Woody reach out and spend time with her. He agreed and started taking her to Knicks games. That’s how their romance started. Yes, it was unorthodox, uncomfortable, disruptive to our family and it hurt my mother terribly. But the relationship itself was not nearly as devastating to our family as my mother’s insistence on making this betrayal the center of all our lives from then on.
Old 02-24-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Here's what Moses Farrow says on the subject :
Nothing about that statement makes it any less disgusting.
Old 02-24-21, 03:26 PM

Nothing about that statement makes it any less disgusting.
Well if your point has morphed in the course of a few posts from "He had an affair and married his teenage step-daughter, so it's easy to believe that he also molested his six-year old daughter" all the way to "Yeah but he's still a creep and an awful boyfriend" -- then yeah sure, I guess we're on the same page now.
Old 02-24-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Well if your point has morphed in the course of a few posts from "He had an affair and married his teenage step-daughter, so it's easy to believe that he also molested his six-year old daughter" all the way to "Yeah but he's still a creep and an awful boyfriend" -- then yeah sure, I guess we're on the same page now.
My point hasn't changed or morphed at all. You guys keep posting statements to try and counter what I'm saying and I keep saying those statements (true or not) don't change my opinion on him in the slightest. He had an affair with the daughter of the woman he had dated for 10 years and known since she was a child. I can't imagine dating a woman for 10 years who had children and not being at least some sort of father figure to them. So yes technically she was not his stepdaughter but for all intents and purposes she was. Obviously so he doesn't get labelled a pedophile him and her are going to say everything didn't happen until she was an adult no matter what the truth is. He is obviously a very disturbed person so if someone comes to me after everything in his past and says this person also molested his child I'm going to not be surprised by that.
Old 02-25-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

He is obviously a very disturbed person so if someone comes to me after everything in his past and says this person also molested his child I'm going to not be surprised by that.
Calling him disturbed is your personal assessement, so there is a leap from having a weird "unorthodox, uncomfortable, disruptive" relationship to being a child molester. I do agree, that his relationship to his wife is the reason why people don't give him the benefit of the doubt, but that says a lot more about those people than about Woody Allen.
I don't know what to believe but my assessement of gim being a weirdo is not enough to give me a reason to believe he is a pedophile. Not being accused by anyone else in such a long time, gives me more reason to believe he isn't. I'm not an expert on the matter, but my wife worked as a proscutor and all cases with child abuse included repeat offenders or misunderstandings.
Old 02-25-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I haven't seen the documentary, but a friend's rave review of it on her blog compelled me to research the subject and I found this impassioned defense of Allen, published two years ago by a devoted fan of his, that brings up something that I'd never really encountered in detail before: a discussion of his current family situation with Soon-yi and their two adopted daughters. What I found eerie was how closely the older daughter resembles Soon-yi and how the younger one has some resemblance to Dylan as seen in pictures included in the piece. Coincidence or not? I'm not saying this means anything and I'm not sure how all this bears on the original accusation other than that on the surface, Woody and Soon-yi seem to have had a happy marriage for 20-odd years and loving daughters, with the older one defending him publicly. If there's any reason to dispute this I haven't seen it. Despite the accusations and the Connecticut custody case, the New York court allowed the couple to adopt two daughters. I'm guessing the documentary doesn't explore this although it seems to me it was worth addressing. I'm not defending Woody or making a case either way, just adding something to the discussion.

https://levine2001.medium.com/the-wo...s-1e41d7c0511a
Old 02-25-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Well, when Woody is asked about a response, he (his lawyer) just issues a statement.
Woody's book that came out last year includes a pretty lengthy teardown of all the accusations levied against him by Farrow. I realize the vast majority of the public have not read his book, but it's not like he's never responded publicly.

He also acknowledges his relationship with soon yi as the betrayal it was, but he also points out that they love each other and have been together for 30 years so what are you going to do.
Old 02-26-21, 02:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I haven't watched the show, but plan to.
but after all these years, this is pretty much where I'm at on the Woody Allen discourse, and I have zero love for his films (I don't hate them. I just don't care about his movies that much at all)

The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (03-02-21)
Old 02-27-21, 08:59 AM

Old 03-01-21, 12:13 PM

As promised, Weide delivers his rebuttal to the toy train story told by Dylan starting in 2014. It pretty much discredits that part of her testimony.

BTW : I watched part 2 last night. It looks really bad for Woody. Even the excerpts from his own autobiography just make him look very bad and callous.
Old 03-01-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

I watched part 2 last night. It looks really bad for Woody. Even the excerpts from his own autobiography just make him look very bad and callous.
I haven't seen the documentary, so I don't know what passages they're using, but I have read the book. My feelings reading it were that Woody does a pretty reasonable job of debunking the accusations, BUT, he also comes off as a crappy father and kind of clueless when it comes to being an adult with actual family responsibilities. I don't think he ever really wanted kids (at least not back then) and his relationship with Farrow was odd to say the least. It doesn't surprise me that they could pull some passages that would help the doc.
Old 03-01-21, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I didn't know this documentary is base on a book. What book are you referring to?
Old 03-01-21, 03:41 PM

I didn't know this documentary is base on a book. What book are you referring to?
It's not based on a book. Instead of interviews with Woody Allen though, they are using excerpts from his audiobook autobiography.
Old 03-07-21, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Just saw episode 3...holy shit Woody Allen is such a shitbag, reminds me of another (Orange) shitbag who also likes to distort truth...
Old 03-08-21, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Haven't/ won't/ can't watch the series.

I just thought it was interesting that I ran across this doc the other day.

I think it was produced for the Criterion release of Rosemary's Baby. I don't have my copy handy to check.

What I found interesting is- within the first five minutes you can watch Mia Farrow wax rhapsodically about a man who drugged and then anally raped a 13 year old- a narrative of which there is absolutely no dispute.

But the film made her theatrical career so...

Old 03-08-21, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Not sure how anyone could defend him after this episode. Yeesh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.