DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Head (TV series) - HBO Max (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/652388-head-tv-series-hbo-max.html)

mphtrilogy 02-11-21 10:43 AM

The Head (TV series) - HBO Max

The Head - been watching this the past week, not a bad mystery sci-fi ish show streaming on HBO max

The Head is a Spanish-made, English-language mystery television series (6 episodes) directed by Jorge Dorado, first broadcast on June 12, 2020, in Spain and 30+ other countries & areas, and 52+ countries and areas as at October 2020.

Season 1

Spoiler:
Winter has fallen on the South Pole. The sun will soon disappear for the next six months. A small team, known as the Winterers, will remain at the Polaris VI Antarctic Research Station to continue their innovative research, a crucial part in the fight against climate change, under the command of renowned biologist Arthur Wilde (John Lynch). But when spring comes, summer commander Johan Berg (Alexander Willaume) returns to the station only to find the entire team are either dead or missing. A killer is on the loose and Annika (Laura Bach), Johan’s wife, is missing. If he wants to find her alive, he will have to trust Maggie (Katharine O’Donnelly), the young doctor who is profoundly shaken and apparently the sole survivor from the group… or, is there someone else?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8290362/

E Unit 02-11-21 11:20 AM

Re: The Head (TV series) - HBO Max

I will definitely check this out. Nice to see HBO showing these Spanish shows on Max. Although I guess they've been heavily investing in non-US programming, as 30 Coins is an HBO Europe production. I'm guessing this is under the same banner.

Dan1boy 02-11-21 12:47 PM

If this show is even half as good as the stunning "30 Coins" is, I'm definitely in.

Draven 02-11-21 12:56 PM

I ripped through this in two days this past weekend. It's fantastic. They do some REALLY smart things to keep the audience engaged.

thematahara 02-11-21 06:56 PM

Bummer, thought they were bringing back the animated series on MTV

Artman 02-11-21 10:35 PM

Binged it last Sat, pretty entertaining! As with most mini-series the second half isn't as good as the first, but I got the ending I was hoping for!

slybone 02-12-21 06:43 AM

When I saw the thread title I thought this was a 30 Rock spinoff. Now we just need the other spinoff, The Hair. 😏

Noonan 02-12-21 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by slybone (Post 13889719)
When I saw the thread title I thought this was a 30 Rock spinoff. Now we just need the other spinoff, The Hair. 😏

I thought (and kinda hoped) it would be a reboot of The Head Detective from MTV. :(

PatD 02-12-21 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13889724)
I thought (and kinda hoped) it would be a reboot of The Head Detective from MTV. :(

I thought The Head Detective was from In Living Color.

Noonan 02-12-21 08:08 AM

Shit, you're right. The MTV show was just called "The Head" as well.

But those were great sketches also!

d2cheer 02-12-21 01:55 PM

Just added this last night to watch. Good to hear positive things about it.

Why So Blu? 02-12-21 02:08 PM

I put this in the queue.

Cellar Door 02-12-21 05:05 PM

I watched this last week and thought it was well done and entertaining. There are some good twists and turns. I did predict the ending pretty early, though.

d2cheer 02-13-21 10:22 AM

2 episodes in and love it so far. Awesome to see them watching The Thing.

Why So Blu? 02-13-21 03:45 PM

I binged this last night and it was awesome. Really dark. This is something along the lines of what Leigh Whannell/James Wan would do.

d2cheer 02-16-21 09:40 AM

Finished it up. Liked it quite a bit even if the ending was a bit foreshadowed.

dex14 02-17-21 09:38 AM

Overall, pretty good. It was a bit convoluted, but I liked the ending.

Osiris3657 03-01-21 11:36 PM

I finished the series tonight and I need clarification...

Spoiler:
So who killed who? So Maggie was on a revenge mission because of her mother's death, but instead of killing the man responsible she kills everyone else to frame him? That was her plan? Well she didn't kill everyone. There were 10 people at the base, and she killed the Asian guy, Annika, the fat drunk guy Niles, and cut off the head of the comms guy. Arthur, the guy she framed, killed the commander, who killed the black girl. I've already forgotten how and why the redhead chick and the Spanish guy died.

Gunde 03-02-21 02:45 AM

Decent show. I didn't really buy the ending, but enjoyed the ride.

Why So Blu? 03-02-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13899041)
I finished the series tonight and I need clarification...

Spoiler:
So who killed who? So Maggie was on a revenge mission because of her mother's death, but instead of killing the man responsible she kills everyone else to frame him? That was her plan? Well she didn't kill everyone. There were 10 people at the base, and she killed the Asian guy, Annika, the fat drunk guy Niles, and cut off the head of the comms guy. Arthur, the guy she framed, killed the commander, who killed the black girl. I've already forgotten how and why the redhead chick and the Spanish guy died.

Spoiler:
The guy she framed had secrets of his own, who just needed a bit of a "push." Maggie also killed the people off-base, which is one of the reasons on how she was able to get on base.

Dan1boy 04-12-21 06:38 PM

Drop what you're doing and watch this excellent and overlooked HBO Max acquired series.

Excellent cinematography, location cast and writing. Loved every minute of this harrowing and suspenseful ride.

Really loving all these international series lately...30 Coins on HBO being another incredible series.

Bill Needle 04-12-21 07:28 PM

This has been on deck for me to watch around my travels/chaotic schedule for a while now but it hasn't worked out. Glad it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

TomOpus 04-13-21 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13892224)
Overall, pretty good. It was a bit convoluted, but I liked the ending.

Agreed

Bill Needle 04-15-21 08:46 PM

So I finally watched. I agree it was a nice production. But I was bummed that I had the ending pretty well figured out by the time I watched the finale, so no surprises. I had pegged all the "remember this" flashback moments as they occurred. I probably watch too much TV. Still worth the watch though.

johnnysd 04-15-21 10:04 PM

Very good show. Two of the actors have major roles in Amazon's upcoming Wheel of Time show