Reload this Page >

WandaVision (S1E05) - “On a Very Special Episode...” - 2/5/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WandaVision (S1E05) - “On a Very Special Episode...” - 2/5/21

Old 02-06-21, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: WandaVision (S1E05) - “On a Very Special Episode...” - 2/5/21

Binged all 5 episodes last night (work kept me from the first 4) and I'm loving it. I only wish I had been into comic books growing up as I know I'm missing a crap ton of references outside of those associated with the movies. As weird as it may seem, I felt almost comforted seeing the Marvel Studios opener again.
The following users liked this post:
VinVega (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 05:42 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
None of you guys are asking what is undoubtedly the most important question to be answered next week :
Spoiler:
Seinfeld or Friends?

I think they will be in the 2000's next week as they hit the 90's in this episode. Looks like they did 80's and 90's based on Wanda's hair changes.
Old 02-06-21, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

It was 80's this week. There wasn't a decade in S1E4 since that was all outside of Westview (except for a quick glimpse at the 70's sitcom we saw in S1E3).
Old 02-06-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Vader existed LONG before being part of the Disney bubble.
Originally Posted by maxfisher
As already pointed out, that predates Disney. Beyond that, there is a huge narrative difference between 1) retroactively giving an already redeemed villain an innocent backstory and 2) redeeming an unwitting villain by turning them into a hero and female role model and then having them become a villain that tortures thousands of people into agony. There’s just no way Disney allows that, even if it could make for an interesting story.
My post was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I was more commenting on the hamfisted motivations for Anakin falling to the dark side. The MCU is usually pretty well thought-out, and I'm sure there will nothing so hamfisted going on with Wanda here.

I think more evidence to show it's not just Wanda is the stork in episode 3. In that episode a stork shows up when "Geraldine" drops by and Wanda tries to get rid of it including in a puff of red smoke indicating she's using her powers. Much to her surprise it has zero effect on the stork and it just flaps it's wings in defiance indicating that at least part of the sitcom world is not created or even able to be effected by her.
Possibly, but that sitcom episode was all about Wanda's powers being on the fritz due to her pregnancy, so I think her inability to affect the stork was due to that.
tanman (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m curious if the Fox X-Men films will be in canon now in a Multiverse sort of way.
Yes, I believe that's what's happening.

The original Blade trilogy could probably fall in if it's legally possible. Not sure why anyone would hold back from making a deal with Marvel Studios at this point.
Old 02-06-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
The Hex is one of the things that is teasing that
Spoiler:
Mephisto may be behind all of this.

About the accent, Wanda has an American accent in the sitcoms because they are American sitcoms while outside of that world she's still Sokovian Wanda Maximoff.
Yeah I know that's what I was pointing out. I appreciate this attention to detail.

Originally Posted by Artman
Great theories! I hadn't even considered some of them. One thing Disney needs to do (preferably before the series ends) is change their release times... 3am/midnight is ridiculous. Why not just follow HBO and release it at 9/6pm? Wouldn't that increase the must-see nature of the show - releasing it when people are awake and able to watch it?
Yeah I agree. And especially these Disney shows as quick as people like to post spoilers.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’m curious if the Fox X-Men films will be in canon now in a Multiverse sort of way. I mean really why not at this point? Disney owns Fox and are seemingly incorporating the non-MCU versions of Spider-Man into the third Holland Spider-Man film.
This is why I try not to follow casting news because it spoils surprises like that. But they're so hard to avoid.

For whatever reason it seems like Favreau and Filoni's crew are much better at keeping secrets then Feigi. At least when it comes to these TV shows. There's too much news coming out and they're showing too much in the trailers with Wandavision for my tastes.
Old 02-06-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

For whatever reason it seems like Favreau and Filoni's crew are much better at keeping secrets then Feigi. At least when it comes to these TV shows. There's too much news coming out and they're showing too much in the trailers with Wandavision for my tastes.
I was just thinking about this earlier and I reminded myself how locked & tight Disney/Marvel used to keep their surprises. For instance, Age of Ultron's trailer at SDCC remained un-leaked for well over 5 months before officially appearing. D23 & Comic-Con attendees also described the early footage they saw from both Civil War & GOTG Vol 2 that we didn't finally see until the actual films got released! And regarding IMDb, let's not forget that even Peter Dinklage's role in Infinity War wasn't even included on their page prior to release day.

But yeah, it's been a tougher task on keeping the lid on things regarding Marvel's first (Official) TV show, hasn't it? I'm guessing things will greatly improve once Falcon/Soldier gets going.
Old 02-06-21, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven
I'm still going with I do not think it's all Wanda.
This name has been drop before as being the main villain.
Spoiler:
Someone posted here an on another sites that Agnes is Agatha Harkness , she was a survivor of the Salem witch trials in the comics might be part of what is going on. And maybe another villain Mephisto . It is just a hunch, but re watching some of the last episode I feel more likely the first guess is true. Not sure about Mephisto.

I'm almost 100% sure now that Agnes is Agatha Harkness with all the clues from this last episode combined with the others. I do not think it is a spoiler anymore.
Still not sure how this is all going to tie together latter on. Really I think the show made it too obvious about Agnes.

Even with reading some theories online, I did not expect to see that Quicksilver.

If I was to guess.
Before it is all over they going to reveal another villain. A new super hero never seen in the MCU movie/tv world.

This keeps getting better and better.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 02-06-21 at 11:26 PM.
VinVega (02-07-21)
Old 02-06-21, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't been here in about 5 years, and hard to come back on because I'm loving WandaVision so much.

I don't think that anyone yet has pointed out that the after the WV credits but before the real credits in episode 1, there was a short clip of a TV screen with a zoom out and a person writing in some sort of a book. In episode 4, we find out that is Darcey, as the same scene plays, though cut off a bit early. The self-referencing and Easter eggs are so amazing here.

Did I say I'm loving this show?
The following 2 users liked this post by fuzzbox:
story (02-07-21), VinVega (02-07-21)
Old 02-07-21, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

So no chance of Ian McKellan or Michael Fassbender showing up and playing Wanda's dad?
Old 02-07-21, 08:39 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by slop101
So no chance of Ian McKellan or Michael Fassbender showing up and playing Wanda's dad?
If Fassbender showed up as Magneto that would be the Luke Skywalker moment of WandaVision. With all the casting leaks, I don't know if they could pull it off though.
Old 02-07-21, 10:01 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
If Fassbender showed up as Magneto that would be the Luke Skywalker moment of WandaVision. With all the casting leaks, I don't know if they could pull it off though.
Old 02-07-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I'm really enjoying the show but now I just want Control to have a DLC AWE crossover with Marvel.

Also, they very much suggest Wanda is not in control of what's happening. Pops or some of the other X-crew may come into play on that front.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-07-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 01:40 PM

It's been two days and I am already sick of Wanda Answering the Front Door memes.
Old 02-07-21, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's been two days and I am already sick of Wanda Answering the Front Door memes.
I guess I've been spared. I don't know what you're talking about. I did find a couple others in my search for that meme though.

Why So Blu? (02-12-21)
Old 02-07-21, 10:51 PM

I guess I've been spared. I don't know what you're talking about.
My Twitter feed was inundated with variations of this yesterday
Old 02-07-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure of the best place to put this, but damn elon musk for trolling us with what I swore was a Fantastic Four teaser during the super bowl.
Old 02-07-21, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
That's the first thing I though of, a "hex" like a witch can cast. And speaking of which, () this episode also made me realize that I don't think Wanda has ever been referred to as "Scarlet Witch" in the MCU, correct?
Apparently, part of the deal between Fox and Disney that allowed them to use Wanda (and Pietro in Age of Ultron) was that they couldn't call her Scarlet Witch. That's all obviously moot now.

As for the "Luke Skywalker level" cameo, Paul Bettany has said
Spoiler:
“I work with this actor that I’ve always wanted to work with and we have fireworks together, the scenes are great and I think people are going to be really excited. I’ve always wanted to work with this guy and the scenes are pretty intense.”

No offense to Evan Peters but I don't think he's of significant stature to merit that kind of quote from Bettany. Maybe Fassbender or McKellan?

I just realized we haven't seen the comic booky costumes from the trailer yet -- excited to see how those play into the story![/spoiler]
Old 02-08-21, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Apparently, part of the deal between Fox and Disney that allowed them to use Wanda (and Pietro in Age of Ultron) was that they couldn't call her Scarlet Witch. That's all obviously moot now.
Yeah, I was talking to my friend about it this weekend, and he said the same thing. I had to slap my forehead and say "Of course, why didn't I think of that part?"
Old 02-08-21, 09:52 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Not sure of the best place to put this, but damn elon musk for trolling us with what I swore was a Fantastic Four teaser during the super bowl.
Do you have a link to the video?
Old 02-08-21, 11:28 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

I think this is what he's talking about.

VinVega (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, yes, should have included link. Yeah that's it, and it aired IMMEDIATELY after the trailer for "The Falcon and The Winter Soldier"
Old 02-08-21, 01:02 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Sorry, yes, should have included link. Yeah that's it, and it aired IMMEDIATELY after the trailer for "The Falcon and The Winter Soldier"
It does have a bit of a Fantastic 4 vibe to it in some way.
Old 02-08-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

BTW, I loved the "Lagos" paper towel ad that said "For when you make a mess you didn't mean to", as Lagos was the city at the beginning of Civil War where a bunch of people died due to Wanda's mishap (though she did keep more from dying, it was still the blunder that led to Civil War).
IBJoel (02-11-21)
Old 02-08-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
BTW, I loved the "Lagos" paper towel ad that said "For when you make a mess you didn't mean to", as Lagos was the city at the beginning of Civil War where a bunch of people died due to Wanda's mishap (though she did keep more from dying, it was still the blunder that led to Civil War).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.