Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-22-21, 07:13 AM

Received 2,903 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Wanda's pregnancy fritzes her powers as she and Vision prepare for an accelerated delivery.
Old 01-22-21, 09:43 AM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
re: WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

Hmmmm. I feel like there's a better way to tell this story or this show wasn't made for a weekly format. While it's not bad, I just don't really care about what's happening. It's just a bunch of nonsense, which I'm sure will make sense later, but they've dragged this sitcom stuff out to a movie length and I'm not sure that's necessary. I'll continue to watch because it's MCU, but this isn't my favorite thing so far.
Old 01-22-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

The way I see it, is that there so much content in the MCU, I'm fine with this experimental stuff. But yes, I'm not crazy about getting 3-4 MCU story hints, while watching these sitcom throwbacks.

(And no, I didn't watch episode 3 yet.)
Old 01-22-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Better than the first two, but still way overdoing the sitcom stuff, which could’ve been fine for one episode and let the mystery kick in. Why sitcoms anyway? Has it EVER been shown that Wanda Maximoff was some huge secret fan of old comedies? I still have hopes for this series but basing it so much on wink wink nudge nudge homages - as if there hasn’t already been a million Brady Bunch tributes in TV history already - was a mistake.
The following users liked this post:
lopper (01-23-21)
Old 01-22-21, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
Better than the first two, but still way overdoing the sitcom stuff, which could’ve been fine for one episode and let the mystery kick in. Why sitcoms anyway? Has it EVER been shown that Wanda Maximoff was some huge secret fan of old comedies? I still have hopes for this series but basing it so much on wink wink nudge nudge homages - as if there hasn’t already been a million Brady Bunch tributes in TV history already - was a mistake.
Why sitcoms is the mystery. This isn’t something that is going to go away after one episode. This is was the show is, and there’s still multiple more decades and sitcom styles that they are going to homage to.

It has already been said it will all be explained by the end. Maybe just wait until they are all out and binge it if you want answers all at once. Which also could be a good debate on why a show like this one in particular may not be best served releasing week to week, like MysterioMan mentioned. Especially for broad general audiences.

I don’t think a show like this can be given a fair assessment until the story is complete.

Last edited by dex14; 01-22-21 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 01:52 PM

Based on the ending of this one, I’m going to assume after the events of Captain Marvel and her interaction with Skrulls, Monica Rambeau grew up and joined SWORD. She’d be a good character who can jump around from this, to Captain Marvel 2, to Secret Invasion. But it’s TBD on if it is the good or bad version of SWORD.
Old 01-22-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely got way better towards the end, but I still find myself not caring at all about the sitcom storyline. We get it. They're in a sitcom and there are wacky hijinks. Just move the story along already.
Old 01-22-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 795 Likes on 561 Posts

Assuming the twin brother reference will give us a cameo of one of the Quckilvers. Definitely more interesting episode with the mystery stuff at the end.
Old 01-22-21, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Assuming the twin brother reference will give us a cameo of one of the Quckilvers. Definitely more interesting episode with the mystery stuff at the end.
I read a funny theory that in the sitcom world we’d see one playing her brother and then they “recast” with the other in another episode.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Deftones (01-22-21), TGM (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Going to echo what others have said in that I don’t like the format. Yes, the last 3 minutes or so were interesting, but this format doesn’t work for me.

Maybe it will get good later, and it will all make sense, but no matter how good later episodes are, I’m never going to rewatch these episodes.
Old 01-22-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Weird. The thread says Season 3. It was fixed to season 1 and then reverted back to season 3 again.
Old 01-22-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts
Re: WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

I love it. I'm eager to see if they actually justify the sitcom format to any real satisfaction. My expectation is that they will not, but even if they don't, I just enjoy watching these characters in situations outside the typical MCU. I'm beyond bored of the "what's this Easter egg?" or "where's the story going next?" aspect of the MCU. I may just be a bitter old comics snob, but it legitimately bugs me when people who have never once opened a comic start getting excited by Agatha Harkness references. Just do interesting/different things with the characters.
Neitzl (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought this episode was great. The nod to 1970s TV was fun, but that ending really stirred things up. Especially the reference to Ultron and the death of Wanda’s brother. And then Rambeau being pushed back into the real world.

Maybe offscreen Wanda was a fan of classic TV and she’s living in this world where she’s happy and not feeling the pain of when she lost Vision. I understand some of you don’t get it and think it’s a waste of time. But I’ve enjoyed how different this is. As mentioned I’m sure everything will be tied up at the end. I don’t want them to speed things up and get going now if this was how Jac Schaeffer and Feige thought was the best way to tell Wanda and Vision’s story post Endgame, I trust them.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-22-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 08:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I read a funny theory that in the sitcom world we’d see one playing her brother and then they “recast” with the other in another episode.
that would be amazing. lol
Old 01-22-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

My theory on what's going on:

Visions death sent Wanda down a destructive path to the point where she needed to be put in a medically induced coma. This is causing her to relive the memories of her mother through classic sitcoms as that were her moms favorite shows to watch.
Old 01-22-21, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

I think Wanda is probably the one who is in control and aside from Vision, the people participating like Agnes are terrified of her. We saw Agnes’ reaction in that one scene like saying...shut up. And then Wanda lost her shit when Geraldine or Monica mentioned her brother and then kicked her out of the world. And when Vision returned she had this kind of look lying about it. As said, this fantasy world is probably her coping mechanism of all the pain and heartache she’s suffered. And taking her out of this could be bad.
Old 01-22-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks like she is in a facility, not a coma. But yea it’s obvious. Will be fun to see how it moves the MCU forward.
Old 01-22-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 426 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Looks like she is in a facility, not a coma...
It actually looks like she took over a whole town. Geraldine got booted to the city limits.

It's possible Wanda delved into a depression after Endgame, and was compensating by watching TV reruns of old sitcoms, and found them so charming, she wanted to live in one....

Of course, the real-world reason for "why sitcoms," is that this is Marvel Studio's first TV show (previous shows, even MCU ones, were Marvel Televsion), and Wanda + Vision = WandaVision, so they played with the pun and the idea of being their first TV show to play with the concept of TV itself, to pay homage and explore the roots via one particular genre that would work well with their story idea of Wanda creating her own reality so she could have Vision back and be a happy couple: the family sitcom.
DJariya (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 493 Likes on 342 Posts

I thought it was another good episode, though I drifted a bit this time. I'm good with the slow burn, but sprinkling a couple more hints would probably help a lot. Of course, things did get moving on that front toward the end of the episode. I'm sure those reality intrusions are going to get more frequent and more forceful.

Wanda never made too much of an impression on me in the movies, so I like that the character (and Olsen) is being given some extra attention through a show like this.
DJariya (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 346 Likes on 268 Posts

Looked more to me that the town is surrounded by a force field of some type and Wanda booted Geraldine outside of it. Hard to tell.
Old 01-22-21, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
Hmmmm. I feel like there's a better way to tell this story or this show wasn't made for a weekly format. While it's not bad, I just don't really care about what's happening. It's just a bunch of nonsense, which I'm sure will make sense later, but they've dragged this sitcom stuff out to a movie length and I'm not sure that's necessary. I'll continue to watch because it's MCU, but this isn't my favorite thing so far.

Agreed. They should have released this all to binge. It's too ADHD to do on a weekly basis.
Old 01-22-21, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 553 Posts

Also the bit with the stork? As in Stark Industries or Tony Stark? Eh.
Old 01-23-21, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
I love a good slow burn, but we already know this is just Wanda's mental breakdown, so the sitcom stuff wears a little thin. Especially when neither actor is really suited for comedy to begin with. I find myself looking at every pointless detail, from the doctor's name to his vacation shirt, searching or some sort of "easter egg".

Still, I am enjoying it, as the payoff at the end of each episode has been worth it.
Old 01-23-21, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I think Wanda is probably the one who is in control and aside from Vision, the people participating like Agnes are terrified of her. We saw Agnes’ reaction in that one scene like saying...shut up. And then Wanda lost her shit when Geraldine or Monica mentioned her brother and then kicked her out of the world. And when Vision returned she had this kind of look lying about it. As said, this fantasy world is probably her coping mechanism of all the pain and heartache she’s suffered. And taking her out of this could be bad.
She's absolutely controlling things, even Vision. She either conjured a new Vision out of thin air, or she reanimated him. Either way, even he seems to realize something is odd, although he is happy to go along for the ride with Wanda. Not sure if the other people are "real" or not. Might be NPC types, other SWORD agents, or even innocent residents of the real Westview trapped in the illusion.

Also, did Wanda seal off the town from the real world to protect her fantasy life, or did SWORD put it in place to prevent the entire world from becoming part of her illusion?
Old 01-23-21, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Also the bit with the stork? As in Stark Industries or Tony Stark? Eh.
No. The stork was symbolic of the babies about to be born.

Best cameo = Kitty Karry-all

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.