WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

Old 01-23-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 820 Likes on 561 Posts
Re: WandaVision (S1E03) - "Now in Color" - 1/22/21

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I think Wanda is probably the one who is in control and aside from Vision, the people participating like Agnes are terrified of her. We saw Agnes’ reaction in that one scene like saying...shut up. And then Wanda lost her shit when Geraldine or Monica mentioned her brother and then kicked her out of the world. And when Vision returned she had this kind of look lying about it. As said, this fantasy world is probably her coping mechanism of all the pain and heartache she’s suffered. And taking her out of this could be bad.
I think you're right for the most of it. As for the sitcom world, Wanda and Pietro grew up in Sekovia and most likely the American TV they saw growing up was old sitcoms like I Love Lucy, Bewitched, Brady Bunch, etc.. As many people know, nostalgia plays a big part when people are grieving and Wanda is just trying to create this perfect world that gives her Vision, a family, a house and neighbors. According to the MCU backstory, Wanda and Pietro are not mutants (that we know of), grew up in poverty in Sokovia, their family was killed by Stark weapons (maybe the meaning of the toy helicopter that fell off the sky in episode 2), were experimented by Hydra (which explains the ads), then Pietro dies at the hands of Ultron and Vision because of Thanos. Wanda also caused the death of the students in Nigeria by accident. There's a lot of sadness and grieving she's going through, so she created this world where everything is perfect but is holding the people who lived the hostage. Maybe she was pushed to create this world by Agatha Harkness (Agnes). Maybe it was Mephisto. Maybe it was the mind stone.

We also have to remember that so far in the MCU, SHIELD is now underground, so SWORD is most likely the government replacement for them, especially since they know there are many threats from out of Earth.

I like where this is going and feel like people need to be a little patient. It's a TV series, not a movie and already by episode 3 we are starting to see some answers.

By the way, this plot has been somewhat utilized by DC Comics in their animated series. Justice League had an episode called Legends where several of the team members ended up in a world that was created by a guy who had survived a nuclear crisis, got superpowers in the process and created that world based on his childhood, bringing dead superheroes back to life. The guy also trapped other survivors in this made up world.
Old 01-23-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I assume there will be a reveal that Wanda always loved sitcoms.

I also think that Vision is still dead, and part of Wanda's creation. Like something from Solaris. But it's comic books. Characters are always coming back. Anything could happen.
Old 01-23-21, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 221 Posts

I totally understand how this isn't everyone's cup of tea as it is a total different direction then what we're used too but that's kinda' what I love about it. This is the MCU's Twin Peaks! Then again, I grew up on classic sitcom reruns so really enjoy the vibe they are capturing. The mystery aspect is icing on the cake.

For comic's fans, I have a question or two:

What are Wanda's powers in the comic? Like, can she alter reality like she does in the show? Bring people back from the dead? In the films, it just seemed she was a strong telepath.

Isn't Magneto her father? I know MCU says they've had no mutants yet but wouldn't that make her and Quicksilver #2 mutants?
Old 01-23-21, 10:50 AM

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
I totally understand how this isn't everyone's cup of tea as it is a total different direction then what we're used too but that's kinda' what I love about it. This is the MCU's Twin Peaks! Then again, I grew up on classic sitcom reruns so really enjoy the vibe they are capturing. The mystery aspect is icing on the cake.

For comic's fans, I have a question or two:

What are Wanda's powers in the comic? Like, can she alter reality like she does in the show? Bring people back from the dead? In the films, it just seemed she was a strong telepath.

Isn't Magneto her father? I know MCU says they've had no mutants yet but wouldn't that make her and Quicksilver #2 mutants?
Yes, she can alter reality. Read the Wikipedia about House of M. People think that the ending of that will happen in this show, but reversed.

Magneto was her father, but as of now, not the MCU. That had to do with the X-Men rights being at Fox at the time. They could retcon this. In the MCU the powers were given to her by von Stucker via experimentation.

Last edited by dex14; 01-23-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-23-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I disliked the first episode quite a bit - just wasn’t feeling the tone at all, and it felt like a waste of time. The second episode was marginally better.

This weeks was much improved. I think the tone of the show is clicking with me a little more, and I liked that we are getting a better sense of the Big Picture.
Old 01-23-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

If it follows House of M, that sounds great! Should get exciting in the final episodes.

If you don't want to piece it together from Wikipedia, here is an article on it: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...of-m-explained
Old 01-23-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel that is a reversed House of M with a little "One More Day" storyline sprinkled in
Old 01-23-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Magneto was her father
Not according to Wikipedia...

Depicted in the 1970s as the children of golden age superhero Whizzer, a retcon in the 1980s revealed the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to be the unknown offspring of supervillain Magneto. Born to Magneto's estranged wife in Transia, ... In another retcon in the 2010s, it is revealed that Quicksilver and she are not mutants but were kidnapped and used as subjects of genetic experimentation by the High Evolutionary, then misled to believe Magneto was their father.
Old 01-23-21, 04:40 PM

As it says, it was retconned. This happens all the time. That is one version.
Old 01-23-21, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Not according to Wikipedia...

Depicted in the 1970s as the children of golden age superhero Whizzer, a retcon in the 1980s revealed the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver to be the unknown offspring of supervillain Magneto. Born to Magneto's estranged wife in Transia, ... In another retcon in the 2010s, it is revealed that Quicksilver and she are not mutants but were kidnapped and used as subjects of genetic experimentation by the High Evolutionary, then misled to believe Magneto was their father.
The reason this was retconned was to give a big fuck you to Fox, who at the time had all the licenses to the Marvel mutants. The way it was retconned was leading to the change that we saw on the MCU.
Old 01-23-21, 08:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

Now, the question is...who’s the real father?
Old 01-23-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Now, the question is...who’s the real father?
Pretty obvious that it's

Spoiler:
Jack Tenorman
Old 01-23-21, 09:53 PM

God, these eps are so short. This was 19m without credits. That’s pretty weak. But, what the hell was all that significance or symbolism because I’m not that into the lore as many of you. Is Westview where Geraldine got portalled to anything special? and who is Geraldine anyway? What’s the symbolism in the ‘Day Dream Believer’ song by the Monkees?

I liked the ep, I just don’t understand the logic, lore and stuff...
Old 01-23-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,217 Posts

God, these eps are so short. This was 19m without credits. That’s pretty weak. But, what the hell was all that significance or symbolism because I’m not that into the lore as many of you. Is Westview where Geraldine got portalled to anything special? and who is Geraldine anyway? What’s the symbolism in the ‘Day Dream Believer’ song by the Monkees?

I liked the ep, I just don’t understand the logic, lore and stuff...
Monica Rambeau. The little girl from Captain Marvel. Maria’s daughter.
Old 01-23-21, 10:15 PM

Why is she significant in a Wandavision series? And that little girl in CM would have turned out stronger, not a Geraldine type character, which we’ll obviously learn more, but still...
Old 01-24-21, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll 2nd the motion that this should have dropped all at once. Binge and get it out of the way so it makes more sense.
Old 01-24-21, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

But, what the hell was all that significance or symbolism because I’m not that into the lore as many of you. Is Westview where Geraldine got portalled to anything special? and who is Geraldine anyway? What’s the symbolism in the ‘Day Dream Believer’ song by the Monkees?
I don't think any of this is actually 'lore," or at least you don't need to know it. Westview is the town that Wanda and Vision arrive at during the opening credits of episode one; it's where the show's been taking place. Geraldine didn't get "portaled to" it, she got ejected from it, existing some sort of field around the town. I've been calling it Wanda's reality distortion field.

At this point in time in the story, we're not supposed to know who Geraldine is, it'll probably be explained in the next episode. However, if you look up who plays her and what else she's been cast in, it should give you some idea who she "really" is.

I think "Daydream Believer" is just a reference to everything we're seeing being part of Wanda's "daydream.'
Old 01-24-21, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the answer to a lot of those questions is - just watch the show. Nothing has been specifically answered outside of the show (like, there's no direct comic storyline I am aware of that this pulls from), unless you are reading show-specific spoilers. I think some of us have ideas of where it is going, but why go out seeking spoilers?

I do agree they should have either dropped this all at once or do 2 episodes a week. Waiting a week for a 20 minute episode is kind of a bummer.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-24-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 08:44 AM

Feige alluded to them possibly getting longer as they go on.
Old 01-24-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 419 Likes on 287 Posts

Based on that ending and the reaction from the soldiers, I’m wondering if Hydra has her and Sword is trying to get her back.
Old 01-24-21, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m surprised Disney+ chose this show to debut MCU shows. It’s really not very accessible to general audiences, and kids have little to no experience with sitcoms of the 50s through 80’s. My wife kept saying how stupid it was during the first episode and my kids (16 and 13) didn’t really care. The first episode has about only 1 minute of screen time when sitcom facade broke.

It’s like trying to get general audiences into a band by only playing deep cuts.

I think the problem with most modern streaming era TV is that the shows all try to tell one story over the course of a season. In other words, it’s basically a movie split into 8-13 episodes. But what stories really needs 10-13 hours to tell that one story? Very few. Even the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy only needed 9 hours (theatrical). So, most shows are packed with filler and move at a snails’ pace.

This was my problem with the Netflix Marvel shows. They were so slow and packed with filler I couldn’t get through most of them. I mean, did Punisher need 13 hours to tell that story? I was hoping the MCU shows would avoid that, but I don’t know.

At least these episodes are shorter, so far. Yet, most of each episode so far feels padded, just harping on the same theme over and over. I just can’t imagine the average viewer being intrigued enough to stick around through Wandavision.

Last edited by sherm42; 01-24-21 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Antipodean (01-24-21)
Old 01-24-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 276 Likes on 221 Posts

I feel like it's a matter of time before Disney either lifts the restrictions on D+ for adult oriented (R/TV-MA) based content or they form a whole new channel. Hulu just doesn't seem the right place for it.
Old 01-24-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I feel like it's a matter of time before Disney either lifts the restrictions on D+ for adult oriented (R/TV-MA) based content or they form a whole new channel. Hulu just doesn't seem the right place for it.
They already did for international audiences. In December, at the Disney investor presentation, they said Star and Star plus will be the new adult content tabs on Disney + for Canada and the rest of the world.

Hulu will continue to be the place for it in the United States.

and your comment doesn't have anything to do with Wandavision.
Old 01-24-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 276 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
They already did for international audiences. In December, at the Disney investor presentation, they said Star and Star plus will be the new adult content tabs on Disney + for Canada and the rest of the world.

Hulu will continue to be the place for it in the United States.

and your comment doesn't have anything to do with Wandavision.
Thank you for telling me what my comment relates to rather than actually asking me about it.

If you haven't noticed the discussion was leading towards how D+ didn't seem the appropriate place for Wandavision.
Old 01-24-21, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Thank you for telling me what my comment relates to rather than actually asking me about it.

If you haven't noticed the discussion was leading towards how D+ didn't seem the appropriate place for Wandavision.
In what sense? It's Disney/MCU. There's nothing too mature for kids. The gist I'm getting is the episodes are too short for weekly watching, the comedy homages don't work for some, and the storyline is not clear or accessible for people who aren't hardcore comic fans.

and sorry if you thought I was trying to antagonize you or put words in your mouth. I wasn't clear at what you were getting at.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (01-24-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.