Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
re: WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Well the episodes are no long. But, I kept waiting for more of the mystery to unfold. But it was pretty stuck in the sitcom format.

It felt like 90% sitcom homage, and 10% MCU story.

It is interesting to watch. Wanda is basically stuck in her own fantasy. I assume she is in her own head. Unwilling to accept that Vision died. I think the mystery is in what's happening outside. Is she with Shield or Hydra?
The following 2 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
B.A. (01-16-21), Bandoman (01-18-21)
Old 01-15-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
re: WandaVision (S1E01/E02) - "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" / "Don't Touch That Dial" - 1/15/21

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Is she with Shield or Hydra?
"Sword" is involved (Who are more in league with Shield) The Sword logo is seen on the little helicopter.
Old 01-15-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

This review really sums up my own problems with the first two episodes:
https://www.rogerebert.com/streaming...ng-distraction

Old 01-15-21, 01:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

“WandaVision” is here and it’s weird. With its first two episodes now streaming, Marvel Studios’ first series on Disney plus transports Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany) from the universe of big-screen explosions to the world of classic sitcoms — pratfalls and all.

For the 1950s and 1960s-set first episodes, the series was most inspired by “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “I Dream of Jeannie” and “Bewitched,” director Matt Shakman tells Variety, noting the latter two specifically “because they’re both about people with magical abilities, who are trying to hide them from their suburban neighbors and also trying to fit in and be normal, even though they are not. And that is very much what our show is about, too.”

Here, the director explains how the team managed Marvel’s first foray into situation comedy and teases what’s to come as the show traverses the decades into the 2000s, paying tribute to the family-friendly television that defined the times.

This series feels a bit like “Pleasantville” meets Marvel. Why did stretching the story out over nine episodes and diving into the different decades in a 30-minute sitcom format become the most interesting way to tell this story?
“WandaVision” is definitely a puzzle box. It’s a long mystery. And so that’s part of it is leaning in — and just like Wanda and Vision, we’re wondering, “Where are we and how did we get here?” The audience is also wondering that, too. And those answers come as you watch over the nine episodes, I promise. For us, it was a chance to innovate and to explore a part of the world that Marvel hasn’t done before. One of the things I love about Marvel Studios is its risk taking. Kevin [Feige] and his team are always looking for the thing they haven’t done. And it’s that sense of adventure and boldness that I think has brought us things like “Guardians of the Galaxy” — when you never would have expected something like that after “Iron Man” or “Captain America.” They play around with genre, tone, style — [like in] “Thor: Ragnarok” — in amazing projects. We jumped into these different decades of television and tried to recreate them authentically; this is the reality of that episode and we wanted to make sure that it was as authentic as possible.

Since “WandaVision” is inspired by classic TV shows, there are tropes that you’re subverting or nodding toward when it comes to the roles of women. How did you take some of these ideas that are a little dated and make them modern?
Even though we were authentically recreating these shows, we have to look at it through our own progressive lens. So, we enjoyed putting little nods in there and rewriting the world to be a little bit more feminist than it might have been at the time. We were also picking those shows that age well as reference points; we wanted to find shows that were as good back then as they are now. They’re family shows — shows about people who love each other who are wrestling with those everyday troubles of suburban life — and that was what our show is about, too. That’s why we ended up focusing on shows like “Dick Van Dyke” and “I Love Lucy.”

During a meeting with Dick Van Dyke, he told you and Feige that the key to his series was, “If it couldn’t happen in real life, it couldn’t happen on the show” and that advice was one of the rules you worked from. What else did you learn from him?
That was the biggest thing, because tone is so hard. How do you put your finger on why the “Dick Van Dyke” show works so well, because it’s really bold in its comedy? How do you make room for pratfalls and all of the great silliness? It’s got some of the most outrageous stuff — there’s Mary Tyler Moore flying out of a closet, sliding down on a bunch of walnuts in one episode. How do you make room for all of these things? And the answer is, by focusing it on real family stories. One of the things he said is that, before they would start rehearsing that week’s episode, Carl Reiner, may he rest in peace, would say, “All right, so what happened in your life this week? Tell me about the weekend? Tell me about what’s going on with you?” And he would just gather all this information, shamelessly steal from everybody’s life, and put it in the show. And that’s what makes it special. It’s just like ‘Law and Order’ says ripped from the headlines, but ripped from our family headlines and put into the show.

Did you think about trying to find a way for him to do some sort of cameo in this series?
He’s amazing and it would be an honor to work with him at any point. He’s one of my favorites.

Feige also mentioned that the mood board for the ’90s-centric episode included a nod to “Full House.” Since he said it took him a minute to remember that Elizabeth is related to Mary-Kate and Ashley, how long did it take you?
I definitely remembered. Lizzie and I both are children of the ’80s sitcom world and early ’90s; we definitely had that in common and talked about it from time to time. She grew up on that “Full House” set, and I, of course, grew up and many other sets. [[i]Editor’s note: Shakman appeared as an actor on shows like “The Facts of Life,” “Good Morning Miss Bliss” and “Just the Ten of Us.”]

Did you think about asking Lizzie to ask her sisters to do a cameo on the series?
For us, we were faithfully recreating the style of the shows with authenticity. It wasn’t about parody or homage or spoof. It really was about telling the story of Wanda and Vision. And so, for that reason, we were focusing on our characters who are the best actors to bring those characters to life, rather than trying to find a way to have Bob Newhart pop by.

You are digging into decades of Marvel and Marvel Comics history and every fan is looking for hints and homages, questioning which storyline that you are pulling from the comics. People have already asked whether the show is about the “House of M” story and we’ve seen potential references to S.W.O.R.D. — how do you weave those little Easter eggs into what we’re seeing, without making it so obvious that fans guess what the storyline is? How much of it could be a fake-out?
Marvel Studios has done a great job of creating their films and now their streaming shows building on what’s happened in the comics, but these are original stories. Just like each one of those comic book writers was building on what came before them, that’s what we’re doing here. We’re taking and osmosing all of what’s out there in the comic book world, and then building and forming a new story that’s made for today.

Have you gotten used to the idea of fans tweeting a theory and questioning, “How did they figure it out?” Or are you thinking, “They’re never gonna guess where we’re gonna go?”
Gosh, I hope that fans are watching, leaning forward, excited to figure out what’s next. I’m glad we’re going out weekly. It’s exciting that people have a little bit of time to chew on it and come up with their own theories. We don’t have that opportunity with binge-watching to have those water cooler shows anymore. And obviously, with a pandemic, we don’t have too many water coolers we can all gather around, but social media is our new water cooler. So, it’s worked great for “The Mandalorian,” it worked great for “Game of Thrones.” [[i]Editor’s note: Shakman directed 2 episodes of the HBO series: “Eastwatch” and “The Spoils of War.”] I certainly hope it’s the same for “WandaVision.”

You are introducing an incredibly important and iconic character in the MCU and in Marvel Comics with Monica Rambeau (played by Teyonah Parris). What is it like to bring the grown-up version of this character into the MCU via this series?
It’s super exciting and it’s in the best possible hands. Teyonah Parris is awesome; she’s brilliant actor. We met Monica as little Lieutenant trouble in “Captain Marvel”; she’s still Lieutenant trouble all grown up now. We saw her mom [played by Lashana Lynch in the film] and she’s gonna follow in those footsteps too — of bravery, courage, a spirit of adventure and [she’s] tough. It’s exciting to bring Monica here and see what’s ahead.

I’d imagine part of what’s exciting is that this show is linked to whatever is next in the MCU. But is it also a little pressure-filled and maybe a bit stressful to think that you could be setting up 10 different other stories in the Marvel Universe — everything from the Young Avengers to the X-Men?
It’s a great opportunity. It’s an honor. Being involved as a filmmaker in the Marvel Universe is like being a part of the most awesome relay race, and that baton gets passed to you, and you grab it, and you run it as hard as you can and do the best job you can. And then when you’re all out of energy and you’re just about to collapse, you pass that baton on to whoever’s next.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/features...eo-1234885434/
Old 01-15-21, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I got a feeling there's a lot of stuff we are missing that it is in plain sight and will make sense once the mystery is unfolded. For example, the color helicopter on episode 2 had the colors of Iron Man's armor and it said 3000. Of course, the toaster is made by Stark and the watch is made by Hydra and mentions Stucker, as in Baron Von Strucker. The guy watching Wanda in the monitors may be Owen Wilson's character from Loki as he is a Time and Dimensional keeper. There was also that interesting line about the Devil being in the details and the response from Agnes. I guess this show could have that type of The Usual Suspects at the end, where the clues have been shown all along.

It's very different from everything else we have seen on the MCU but I trust them, so I hope the payoff is worth it.
Old 01-15-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I have to admit to being fairly underwhelmed. The sitcom schtick got very old very fast for me, and while Olsen and Bettany are quite game, this doesn’t “feel” much like the same characters at all. I hope the actual plot picks up speed as this just felt like a lot of wheel spinning to drag the Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched homage out over two episodes. Hope it improves.
I'm going to keep watching, but my god, it felt like the same joke over and over and over for 2 straight episodes. I actually didn't watch trailers so I didn't know they were going to do multiple television eras. That's good, because I am DONE with this era already. I think they went too heavy on the spoof, and too light on the mystery so far.
Old 01-15-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched both episodes and thought they were hilarious. Loved the homages to the decades. Bettany and Olsen's comedic timing was great, as well. Troy Stiffler made a comment a few posts back about what may be going on and I sort of think that's what's going to be the big reveal.

I think the show is "weird" like Legion is/was.
Old 01-15-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally don't think this will be as good as Legion, but I also really really really loved Legion.
Old 01-15-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
"Sword" is involved (Who are more in league with Shield) The Sword logo is seen on the little helicopter.
Oh okay. I'm not a comic book guy. So she might be caged on a SWORD space ship somewhere?

I assume that Far From Home's post-credits scene had Fury was with SWORD. Maybe Wanda is on there too.

Legion was great. But it was really dense and complicated. I don't see WandaVision going that far out. But I think it'll be a satisfying telling of the story.
Old 01-15-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

This really should have been released all at once instead of 1 or 2 episodes a week. It's too slow of a burn to get people involved in what's going on.
I feel the same way.
And what is up with the end credits? over 7 minutes each episode. Maybe it is a Disney thing I never notice before.
Leaving about 22 minutes of material for the first
episode.
At first I thought it would have some extra scenes after the end credits started rolling.

Just way too slow.
I did enjoy Olsen and Bettany and many of the other actors.
And avoid looking at the cast over at IMDB, some minor spoilers.
Old 01-15-21, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This is intriguing. I think if it stuck in this era of TV this would get boring as hell. I like that each episode is a different era. Funny how the house changed from the first episode to the second.

The radio thing most definitely made it clear to me she is incapacitated some how and this is all in her head.

I will say Bettany and Olsen are both fantastic in this.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-15-21 at 04:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (01-18-21)
Old 01-15-21, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

This is basically what I expected and I’m really enjoying it a lot.
Old 01-15-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Behind the scenes feature.

Old 01-15-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I was very excited for this to come out and I was not disappointed!
I will say that I do love 50 sitcom shows and I thought this show did a tremendous job of recreating the look and feel of those shows. So when the first episode took a turn to a darker reality, I thought it was great, the tension really built and Wanda ordering vision to help was really telling.
The second episode was great as well and I loved the color change. I actually did laugh out loud many times during both episodes, even at the very very corny bits.
I've read House of M and Vision comics, so I might know what's going on, but I'm sure there are going to be major changes, but so far, I'm all in!
Old 01-15-21, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did anyone else watch through the 5 minutes of credits because we're now trained to watch until the very end for stingers?
Bandoman (01-18-21)
Old 01-15-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Did anyone else watch through the 5 minutes of credits because we're now trained to watch until the very end for stingers?
Yes. No stingers at all.
Old 01-16-21, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When the credits rolled on the first episode and I saw how much time was left on the stream, I was sure there would be more show. Nope, just two long credit sequences.
Old 01-16-21, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit77
I thought there might be something becuase there was nothing that popped up and told me to skip the next episode before that, like there normally is for these kinds of shows, but I didn't sit and watch the whole thing, I just fast forwarded to the end.
Jay G. (01-16-21)
Old 01-16-21, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
That magic show outfit
Oh yeah, that got an audible "holy shit" from me.

I think this show will start introducing X-Men into the MCU.
I don't know if they would go that far YET, but I am wondering if Wanda might do a reverse "House of M".
Spoiler:
Instead of taking away mutant powers, Wanda may end up creating mutants or causes something that brings the mutants out.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It is interesting to watch. Wanda is basically stuck in her own fantasy. I assume she is in her own head. Unwilling to accept that Vision died. I think the mystery is in what's happening outside. Is she with Shield or Hydra?
That's pretty much been my theory from the get go; Wanda created this fantasy to cope/hide/numb the depression she's feeling from Vision (and maybe to a lesser extant, Quicksilver) being dead.
Old 01-16-21, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I think Wanda has created a delusion, but it's not "in her own head," she's actually projected the delusion into reality.

I'm guessing the town Wanda and Vision moved to has actually been "taken over" by Wanda's delusion. The people are real, but now they're playing the roles Wanda's set for them, which explains some of the weirdness, the people being unsure about her, etc.

For example, in the first episode, when Mr Hart starts choking on the food, it first seems like Mrs. Hart is laughing and saying "stop it" to him, as if he's fooling around. But as he keeps choking, the scene changes, and we see Mrs. Hart still saying "stop it," but it's directed at Wanda, and it's pleading. Mrs. Hart knows, in some way, that Wanda is ultimately controlling the situation. Note how Vision doesn't move to help Mr Hart until Wanda tells him to. It's possible Wanda maybe even caused Mr Hart to start choking in the first place, because he was tugging to hard at the thread's of Wanda's delusion.

In the second episode, Dottie seems hostile to Wanda, and the conversation they have hints at things. The whole town has changed, but not everyone has directly interacted with Wanda or Vision yet. So Dottie's whole life has changed, and on some level she knows it, and she knows Wanda's responsible. Wanda's line "I assure you, I don't mean anyone any harm" takes on a different level then. Wanda's come into a town, changed everyone's reality, but she didn't do it to hurt anyone, she just wants to escape into her fantasy. But not everyone in the town is fully on board, and some seem a bit more able to fight against the new reality and their altered memories and such than others.

Also, in the second episode, I read elsewhere that (casting insight)..
Spoiler:
"Geraldine" is played by Teyonah Parris, who's also playing Monica Rambeau, the daughter of Maria Rambeau, in Captain Marvel 2. I think Monica Rambeau was sent into the town to try and contact Wanda, but as soon as she entered, Wanda distorted her reality. Note how hesitant Geraldine is at responding to Wanda's questions; she doesn't even seem to know her own name for a few seconds.

Wanda does seem to be transmitting her "adventures" out of the town as a TV show, and from the radio transmission, it seems like people outside are trying to reach her that way.

Also, I've read people speculating that Wanda distorts things from outside that get in to fit better into her delusion. The red toy helicopter with the SWORD logo may have originally been a drone sent into the town. The beekeeper may have actually been wearing some more advanced suit that protects against Wanda's powers, but was visualized as a beekeeper outfit as the closest fit for her 60's sitcom delusion.

The progression of sitcom decades also is part of her delusion. She starts off with a "pure" fantasy of a 50s sitcom life, but as certain realities set in, the sitcom style evolves. She doesn't want separate beds, so the sitcom style evolves to an era where that's more acceptable. The certain harsh truths of reality like a drone intruding into her world, or someone cutting themselves and bleeding, cause flashes of color, to the point she resets the world to color.

I think we'll get more episodes from Wanda's point of view as she progresses through more decades of TV, and then there will be an episode set entirely on the outside filling us in on what was happening in the outside world, and then we'll have episodes that show concurrently what's happening both inside the town and outside, and the outside world starts to intrude more and Wanda's delusion starts to unravel.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay G.:
Bandoman (01-18-21), spainlinx0 (01-16-21), VinVega (01-26-21)
Old 01-16-21, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, that was certainly different. I also think I kind of loved it. I applaud Marvel doing something that really feels like a departure for them. I'm actually sort of surprised such an odd show is the first Disney+ show.

I can definitely see where this wouldn't be someone's cup of tea, though. I'm a big Dick Van Dyke fan, so I really enjoyed that aspect of it. While it was no surprise how strong some of that supporting cast was, I was surprised at how good Olsen and Bettany both were. And I loved seeing Emma Caulfield get a plum role!
Old 01-16-21, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I believe that Agnes is Agatha Harkness, Wanda's magic teacher in the comic books.

So far, the only fair criticism of the show, or more directly, of Elizabeth Olsen, is that the character has lost her "Sekovian" accent completely, which was already happening on Avengers: Infinity War. She reminds me of how Halle Berry basically dropped Storm's accent by the second X-Men film.
Old 01-16-21, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm still interested in where it's going, but two episodes of pure 50's sitcom with TINY sprinkles of the actual plot of the show is waaaaaay too slow for me. Bored out of my mind for most of it. They really need to pick up the pace.
Old 01-16-21, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think Wanda has created a delusion, but it's not "in her own head," she's actually projected the delusion into reality.
That's why I thought maybe she was on a stage in a Sword or Shield facility. There are trailer clips that show a border fabric of some sort.

Anyways, it's got me hooked. Looking forward to pretty much everything from the MCU.
Old 01-16-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, I've read people speculating that Wanda distorts things from outside that get in to fit better into her delusion. The red toy helicopter with the SWORD logo may have originally been a drone sent into the town. The beekeeper may have actually been wearing some more advanced suit that protects against Wanda's powers, but was visualized as a beekeeper outfit as the closest fit for her 60's sitcom delusion.
When I saw that it reminded me of The Truman Show - in the beginning with the spotlight falling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.