Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Originally Posted by hdtv00
You guys really don't know why Klingons look the way they do really? It's a pretty well known story.
If you mean the story of how when they were making TOS they did not have the time, money, or resources to do elaborate make-up effects, but when they made The Motion Picture they did, so they made the Klingons scarier. Then yeah, that is a well-known story.

If you mean the crazy bullshit story they made up for ENT, I suspect people also know that but choose not to focus on the dumbest things Trek has ever done.

Or do you mean why the Klingons on DIS have a completely different look?
Old 01-23-21, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E13) -- Season Finale -- "That Hope is You Part 2" -- 1/7/21

Meant Klingons on why DIS have a completely different look?
Old 01-24-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

A thought that occurred to me: remember the TNG episode where Deanna was taking the bridge Officer’s test and she kept failing over and over and over again until she realized that she had to order the simulation Geordi to do something that would kill him but save the ship? It feels like Michael having to put Stamets in that pod and toss him off the ship to keep the Disco from falling into the Orion’s hands was sorta like that for her. To me that helps me accept her being promoted to Captain, because she was able to make a hard call like that.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-24-21)
Old 01-24-21, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
A thought that occurred to me: remember the TNG episode where Deanna was taking the bridge Officer’s test and she kept failing over and over and over again until she realized that she had to order the simulation Geordi to do something that would kill him but save the ship? It feels like Michael having to put Stamets in that pod and toss him off the ship to keep the Disco from falling into the Orion’s hands was sorta like that for her. To me that helps me accept her being promoted to Captain, because she was able to make a hard call like that.
That's a good point.

Nitpicky Criticism spoilered:
Spoiler:
But look at the difference in reaction between Geordi and Stamets and that's a good example of the difference between the crew of the Discovery and TNG, and indeed the shows themselves. Yeah I know Geordi was a hologram, and it was his own death and not loved ones, but would we expect the real Geordi to question orders at all?
Old 01-24-21, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But I think Stamets reacting emotionally to a decision that will probably kill his husband makes him more of a real character.

If DISC wants to undo the Trek tradition of presenting human characters who are so noble they shit marble, I'm good with that. That's why I like Farscape.
Old 01-25-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
That's a good point.

Nitpicky Criticism spoilered:
Spoiler:
But look at the difference in reaction between Geordi and Stamets and that's a good example of the difference between the crew of the Discovery and TNG, and indeed the shows themselves. Yeah I know Geordi was a hologram, and it was his own death and not loved ones, but would we expect the real Geordi to question orders at all?
Spoiler:
I think everything we've seen of Geordi shows us he would follow that order. In fact, it's almost a bit unrealistic that the simulation didn't show Geordi trying to do the dangerous repair on his own
Old 01-25-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
I think everything we've seen of Geordi shows us he would follow that order. In fact, it's almost a bit unrealistic that the simulation didn't show Geordi trying to do the dangerous repair on his own

I guess this could go in the glaring plot holes thread
Spoiler:
It's actually a pretty stupid test. One could presume that HoloGeordi didn't volunteer to make the repair because The Test was designed to make Troi realize the stakes of the situation and order HoloGeordi to "his death."

But how does this really "test" Troi's capacity to make that command decision IRL. She knows that The Test is a holodeck simulation. Ordering HoloGeordi to die means nothing to her.

Plus what kind of test is it where she keeps doing it over and over until she figures out the solution. Wouldn't a truer test of her command capabilities be to see if she reacts correctly --by instinct or training-- to the situation the first and only time she confronts it?

In the episode where Wesley took the entrance exam to Starfleet Academy, and he was put in a life&death situation, Wesley thought it was real.