Call Me Kat - starring Mayim Bialik premieres on FOX Jan 3rd 2021

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-24-20, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is featured on this weeks TV Guide cover story
https://www.tvguidemagazine.com/back...y-call-me-kat/

I hope it is as or better than the UK version called Miranda. (Which you can view on The Roku Channel)

There have been so many UK britcoms that were tried here in the USA and most failed with the exception of a few.

Here is hoping this is one that makes the transition to the USA
Old 12-24-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 163 Posts
re: Call Me Kat - starring Mayim Bialik premieres on FOX Jan 3rd 2021

They still have TV Guide?
Old 12-25-20, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 474 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I haven’t seen a TV guide in probably 25 years. I know at one point they went from Reader’s Digest size to full-sized magazine size. I had abandoned the subscription long before that though.

Do they still have the “Cheers and Jeers” section? That was always fun to read.
Old 12-25-20, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post

https://www.ntvbmedia.com/consumer-media/

Old 12-25-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 342 Likes on 216 Posts

Miranda was a good show. I'll check this out due to some of that actors involved.
Old 12-26-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Call Me Kat - starring Mayim Bialik premieres on FOX Jan 3rd 2021

I like Bialik but this has a half-a-season-then-cancelled vibe to it.
Old 01-03-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 230 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I like Bialik but this has a half-a-season-then-cancelled vibe to it.
I'll be impressed if it gets past two episodes. It's rough.

The 4th wall stuff is annoying as hell to me here,, and the show overall is like a filmed stage show for better or worse.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-03-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, this is an obvious dud that won't make it.
Old 01-03-21, 10:51 PM

I agree.
I will give it a few more episodes.

It was not funny, the show seemed rushed, the chemistry between the cast is not there.
It looks like another UK britcom that was remade in the US is another disappointment.

The original with Miranda Hart is so much likeable and funny. You can catch it on HULU snd the Roku Channel
Old 01-03-21, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 499 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I haven’t seen a TV guide in probably 25 years. I know at one point they went from Reader’s Digest size to full-sized magazine size. I had abandoned the subscription long before that though.
Not only that, but when they went from a 5” x 7” format to a regulat 8.5” x 11” magazine, they also became a national magazine with a single edition, dropping all of the regional variants with local listings, and became a sort of Entertainment Weekly with network and cable tv listings.

I remember that pissing off a lot older people who still used it for listings, but since most people had cable or satellite with “guides” by that time, having a bunch of regional editions became an expense that didn’t justify itself.
Old 01-05-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Watched it on Hulu last night just for the cats. There weren’t nearly enough of them. One cat in the background looked fake. I’ll stick with the Kitten Academy live feed on YouTube.
Old 01-05-21, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Watched it on Hulu last night just for the cats. There weren’t nearly enough of them. One cat in the background looked fake. I’ll stick with the Kitten Academy live feed on YouTube.
According to Mayim, they made no effort to "wrangle" the cats on the set, and whatever happens, happens, continuity or not. Still, they might have a few props, -and some cats might as well be props for all they do.

Kitten Academy! That used to be a regular part of my recommended bar on you.tube. I just realized I haven't checked in with them for a while. Probably since I started watching Save-A-Fox. I never realized foxes were that hyper...
Old 01-05-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just from the commercial this looked bad...The cats could provide some unintentional humor.

I actually just resubscribed my parents to TV Guide. Not that they use it as a guide that much, but as an EW-lite (especially since EW has gone EM - and somehow, even though it's physically bigger, it takes me less time to read than the previous thinner EW). Turns out I subscribed to TVG as well - I got a deal for 8 bucks a year, it's worth that much.
Old 01-05-21, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tonyc3742 View Post
Just from the commercial this looked bad...The cats could provide some unintentional humor.

I actually just resubscribed my parents to TV Guide. Not that they use it as a guide that much, but as an EW-lite (especially since EW has gone EM - and somehow, even though it's physically bigger, it takes me less time to read than the previous thinner EW). Turns out I subscribed to TVG as well - I got a deal for 8 bucks a year, it's worth that much.
Make sure that it isn't one of those self-renewing subscriptions. I got a deal on EW, but it was going to automatically renew at $50, so I stopped it. I got a pretty good deal at Amazon, and then a few weeks later EW sent me a renewal offer that was half the Amazon rate and a third of what they tried to charge me.
Old 01-05-21, 01:58 PM

Make sure that it isn't one of those self-renewing subscriptions. I got a deal on EW, but it was going to automatically renew at $50, so I stopped it before they charged me. A few weeks later EW sent me a renewal offer that was a third of what they tried to charge me.
Old 01-05-21, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
Make sure that it isn't one of those self-renewing subscriptions. I got a deal on EW, but it was going to automatically renew at $50, so I stopped it. I got a pretty good deal at Amazon, and then a few weeks later EW sent me a renewal offer that was half the Amazon rate and a third of what they tried to charge me.
Thanks for the tip! No, I usually subscribe through DiscountMags.com, and they are quite good about communicating before renewing. Sometimes they may have a better price in a sale later, but that's not an uncommon risk. DiscountLock helps a lot, I've currently got 11 subs on DiscountLock. (You opt in to Discount Lock when subscribing, and it saves the price for your next renewal, and gives you plenty of time to cancel if you don't want it. They'll tell you ahead of time if they can't keep that price, which has only happened to me twice.) The one thing they changed that is less consumer friendly is now you can only cancel a sub within 90 days, I think. Used to be you could cancel anytime and get a prorated refund (or credit).
I did subscribe to one magazine through Amazon, never again - such a hassle to cancel and prevent auto-renew.

So, Call Me Kat is currently at a metascore of 47. Mayim Bialik has got to be cursing Jim Parsons. That said, after reading some results of googling 'why did big bang theory end', Parsons's quitting was related to some very deep soul searching, which I respect.
Old 01-05-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, Call Me Kat is currently at a metascore of 47. Mayim Bialik has got to be cursing Jim Parsons. That said, after reading some results of googling 'why did big bang theory end', Parsons's quitting was related to some very deep soul searching, which I respect.
I’m sure I’m in the minority but I felt that The Big Bang Theory was already going downhill when they brought Bialik on board. IMO, she revitalized TBBT and was the best part of the show.
Old 01-05-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

It seems FOX has had a lot of bad luck with their sitcoms.

Maybe New Girl and Mindy Projects were their last hits but the rest that came after them got cancelled.

Maybe they know how to do successful cartoons more than sitcoms.
Old 01-05-21, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

the commercials looked bad, especially the 4th wall stuff. 4th wall is tricky, the one in the commercial failed hard
Old 01-05-21, 09:04 PM

Received 229 Likes on 136 Posts

I was in the room while my wife checked it out. It was horrible. Don’t think she even finished the episode.
Old 01-05-21, 09:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

the tv was on in the background when this show came on.

it started with a fucking spit-take.

I changed it after about 45 seconds.
Old 01-05-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

I was on the fence. I hate cats so there is zero draw there, but this is set in Louisville which is extremely rare so I thought I'd give it a passing shot to see any passing references were made or exterior shots from the city. Given the feedback here, I'll definitely give it a hard pass.
Old 01-07-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I DVR'd it and put it on for a few minutes today...I only made it to the opening credits. As others have noted, it's really bad.
Old 01-07-21, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Holy shit was this ever terrible. Bialik deserves a better vehicle than this. Yeah, this will be cancelled soon. And I see Swoosie Kurtz went to Melanie Griffith's plastic since leaving "Mike and Molly. My God, her face has been pulled so tight she's cross eyed now. There was nothing wrong with the way she looked before. And looks like a freak now.
Old 01-07-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 230 Likes on 183 Posts

...the 2nd episode was actually a big improvement but this is just a genuinely dorky show for better or worse.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.