Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary series (Disney+)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-20, 11:04 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

PETER JACKSON REVEALS SNEAK PEEK OF HIS UPCOMING MUSIC DOCUMENTARY
“THE BEATLES: GET BACK” ONLINE AND STREAMING ON DISNEY+

Feature-Length Film Opens in Theatres August 27, 2021

Acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson has released an exclusive sneak peek of his upcoming documentary “The Beatles: Get Back” for fans everywhere to enjoy. The 5-minute special look is available to fans worldwide on TheBeatles.com and streaming on Disney+.

Jackson said, “We wanted to give the fans of The Beatles all over the world a holiday treat, so we put together this five-minute sneak peek at our upcoming theatrical film ‘The Beatles: Get Back.’ We hope it will bring a smile to everyone’s faces and some much-needed joy at this difficult time.”

Acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back” is a unique cinematic experience that takes audiences back in time to The Beatles’ intimate recording sessions during a pivotal moment in music history. The film showcases the warmth, camaraderie and creative genius that defined the legacy of the iconic foursome. Shot in January 1969 and compiled from over 60 hours of unseen footage (filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg) and more than 150 hours of unheard audio, all of which has been brilliantly restored, “The Beatles: Get Back” is the story of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they plan their first live show in over two years and charts the writing and rehearsing of 14 new songs, originally intended for release on an accompanying live album. The film features – for the first time in its entirety – The Beatles' last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London’s Savile Row as well as other songs and classic compositions featured on the band’s final two albums, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

An exciting new collaboration between The Beatles and three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, “They Shall Not Grow Old”) presented by The Walt Disney Studios in association with Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd., “The Beatles: Get Back” is directed by Jackson, produced by Jackson, Clare Olssen (“They Shall Not Grow Old”) and Jonathan Clyde (“Eight Days A Week”), with Ken Kamins (“The Hobbit” trilogy) and Apple Corps’ Jeff Jones (“Eight Days A Week”) serving as executive producers. Jabez Olssen (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) serves as the film’s editor, and the music is mixed by Giles Martin (“Rocketman”) and Sam Okell (“Yesterday”).

Read more at: https://www.thebeatles.com/news/beat...-peter-jackson

Last edited by dex14; 12-21-20 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaymole (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
re: The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary series (Disney+)

I'm front row center for this!

Without derailing things I hope Peter Jackson or Ken Burns (or someone of their caliber) would do a *even-handed* documentary about the Gene Roddenberry years of Star Trek (1965-1991)--back when the franchise had an actual cultural impact.

But, back to The Beatles! Eight Days a Week was a delightful treat and They Shall Not Grow Old was MIND-BLOWING! I'm stoked!
Old 12-21-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
re: The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary series (Disney+)

Really hope the original Let It Be gets a Blu-Ray release.
Old 12-21-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I love the Beatles. I’m on board for this.

I’m surprised that there’s 6 hours of never-before-seen Beatles footage, much less 56 hours!
Old 12-21-20, 03:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This looks great, based on that sneak peak. I'm already starting to hear Oscar-buzz about Andy Serkis's role as an all-CGI Yoko Ono.
Old 12-21-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Looking forward to this. But hopefully Jackson also takes the advice from the title and gets back to working on that Tintin sequel.
Old 12-21-20, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This looks great, based on that sneak peak. I'm already starting to hear Oscar-buzz about Andy Serkis's role as an all-CGI Yoko Ono.
You can’t fake this

Old 12-21-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

I like The Beatles a lot. I went through a period where I was hugely into them. I’m not quite the fan I used to be, but I still like them a lot and am interested in seeing this documentary.
Old 12-22-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm surprised Peter Jackson says that they are still editing this given that it was supposed to already be done and released in 2020 for the 50th anniversary of "Let It Be" (both album and film) and was only delayed due to Covid. Are they taking advantage of the Covid-caused delay to do even more editing?
Old 12-22-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
You can’t fake this

https://youtu.be/HdZ9weP5i68
I like her version of Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky"

story (06-18-21)
Old 12-22-20, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
I'm surprised Peter Jackson says that they are still editing this given that it was supposed to already be done and released in 2020 for the 50th anniversary of "Let It Be" (both album and film) and was only delayed due to Covid. Are they taking advantage of the Covid-caused delay to do even more editing?
It seems like you answered your own question.

But there was probably a pause down to lockdowns too.
Old 06-17-21, 10:23 AM

The Beatles’ forthcoming film “Get Back” — a Peter Jackson-directed documentary culled from the footage from the 1970 “Let It Be” film — will premiere as a Disney Plus original documentary series over the Thanksgiving holidays.

Because of the wealth of tremendous footage Jackson has reviewed, which he has spent the past three years restoring and editing, “The Beatles: Get Back” will be presented as three separate episodes. Each episode is approximately two hours in length, rolling out over three days, November 25, 26 and 27, 2021, exclusively on Disney Plus.

The film, snippets of which were previewed during a Universal Music Group presentation last year as well as a “montage” debuted online, is culled from more than 50 hours of footage taped in January of 1969 as the Beatles worked on material that ultimately became the “Let It Be” album and feature-length film. Based on the previewed footage, “Get Back” will present a counter-narrative to “Let It Be,” which effectively documented the Beatles breaking up; the group would record their last song together just eight months later. Where “Let It Be” tends to be a bit morose — the film is currently out of circulation and surviving members Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr and the estates of John Lennon and George Harrison have seemed reluctant to revisit it — “Get Back” appears to be classic moptops, with lots of humor, affection and camaraderie.

The most recent previous project by Jackson, who is best known for his epic series of “Lord of the Rings” films, was “They Shall Not Grow Old,” a fascinating World War I documentary built around meticulously restored 100-year-old footage. He has turned some of that technological wizardry to the 50-year-old “Let It Be” footage, with vivid results.

“Get Back” was originally scheduled to be released in September of 2020, then bumped to this September, and now is a Disney Plus series premiering in November. Further details were not immediately available, although the production credits are below.

“As a huge Beatles fan myself, I am absolutely thrilled that Disney Plus will be the home for this extraordinary documentary series by the legendary filmmaker Peter Jackson,” said Bob Iger, Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board, The Walt Disney Company. “This phenomenal collection of never-before-seen footage offers an unprecedented look at the close camaraderie, genius songwriting, and indelible impact of one of the most iconic and culturally influential bands of all time, and we can’t wait to share ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ with fans around the world.”

Peter Jackson commented, “In many respects, Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s remarkable footage captured multiple storylines. The story of friends and of individuals. It is the story of human frailties and of a divine partnership. It is a detailed account of the creative process, with the crafting of iconic songs under pressure, set amid the social climate of early 1969. But it’s not nostalgia – it’s raw, honest, and human. Over six hours, you’ll get to know The Beatles with an intimacy that you never thought possible.”

He added, “I’m very grateful to The Beatles, Apple Corps and Disney for allowing me to present this story in exactly the way it should be told. I’ve been immersed in this project for nearly three years, and I’m very excited that audiences around the world will finally be able to see it.”

A new collaboration between The Beatles and Jackson presented by The Walt Disney Studios in association with Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd., “The Beatles: Get Back” is directed by Peter Jackson, produced by Clare Olssen (“They Shall Not Grow Old”) and Jonathan Clyde (“Eight Days a Week”), with Ken Kamins (“The Hobbit” trilogy) and Apple Corps’ Jeff Jones (“Eight Days a Week”) serving as executive producers. Jabez Olssen (“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) serves as the documentary’s editor, and the music is mixed by Giles Martin (“Rocketman”) and Sam Okell (“Yesterday”).

According to the announcement., “The Beatles: Get Back” is being made with the enthusiastic support of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison.

Ahead of the documentary’s Disney Plus debut, Apple Corps Ltd./Callaway Arts & Entertainment will release “The Beatles: Get Back” book on October 12. Beautifully designed and produced, the 240-page hardcover complements the “Get Back” documentary with transcriptions of The Beatles’ recorded conversations and hundreds of exclusive, never before published photos from the three weeks of sessions. The collectible book will be published in nine international language editions, including English.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/t...234999072/amp/
Old 06-17-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

So should this thread get moved to TV Talk, since it's now a "documentary series" instead of documentary movie?

Old 06-17-21, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

I was just wondering if this will still be considered a Documentary film and eligible for the Oscar. If so I think Peter Jackson could have become the first director to win Best Director and an Oscar for Best Documentary.
Old 06-17-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Damn, 6 hours of Beatle greatness.
Old 06-17-21, 03:16 PM

I've still NEVER seen Let It Be. Never got released in any digital format AFAIK. I thought that this project was finally going to be it. Now I'm not saying that this isn't better - it probably is. But I am a little disappointed that I still don't get to see that movie (besides the Rooftop Concert of course).
Boondock Saint (06-17-21)
Old 06-17-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary

Sweet, really looking forward to this.

Originally Posted by Decker
I've still NEVER seen Let It Be. Never got released in any digital format AFAIK. I thought that this project was finally going to be it. Now I'm not saying that this isn't better - it probably is. But I am a little disappointed that I still don't get to see that movie (besides the Rooftop Concert of course).
I have a rip of the laserdisc, I like the film but it looks like ass (pan and scan, very faded damaged print, etc.). I was under the impression that the whole campaign will also include a new transfer of the original Let It Be film as well as the release of Jackson's doc, the book and various reissues of the album itself. Or did that change too?
Old 06-17-21, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary series (Disney+)

I still have it on LaserDisc.
Old 06-17-21, 04:05 PM

Re: The Beatles: Get Back (2021, D: Peter Jackson) -- documentary series (Disney+)

Oh yeah, Laser Disc is a digital formal. I kinda forgot it existed.
Old 06-17-21, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, Laser Disc is a digital formal. I kinda forgot it existed.
Most have. If you want to be technical, the LD video signal was analog rather than digital (audio was digital), so you were kind of correct.

Old 06-17-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, some of the boomers on the Steve Hoffman music forums are pitching a fit over this because they don't know how streaming services work. "My cable company doesn't have Disney+" Many of them have no idea how to stream video on their television, and yet these are the same people who berate newbies having problems getting their turntables to work properly with shit like "You gotta do the research if you want to listen to vinyl the right way". I find it all very funny.
Toddarino (11-26-21)
Old 06-17-21, 06:31 PM

It would bum me out if there isn't a physical release of this material (and thinking about it, I don't know if Disney ever did a physical release of any D+ Exclusive material before). Much like Hamilton, this feels too important a work to exist only on a subscription streaming service.
Alan Smithee (06-19-21)
Old 06-17-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm sure this will be good, but it appears once again PJ has so much stuff he's chosen to make a "trilogy" out of it.
Old 06-18-21, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I’m excited to see this and all, but wonder if Peter Jackson will ever make a short, snappy project again. Six hours??
Old 06-18-21, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I’m excited to see this and all, but wonder if Peter Jackson will ever make a short, snappy project again. Six hours??
There was 50 hours of footage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.