Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Book of Boba Fett - Star Wars -- news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Book of Boba Fett - Star Wars -- news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
re: The Book of Boba Fett - Star Wars -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Decker
Just curious : What looks so amazing to you? It looks perfectly fine to me and I am looking forward to watching it, but nothing in the trailer looked that fantastic to me , nothing made me think 'I can't wait to see that​​​​​​'. Is it just the setting?
Speaking as someone who absolutely despises the Sequel Trilogy, I am enjoying The Mandalorian, and The Book of Boba Fett looks to deliver the same results.

For me, it's the world-building. I look at the Sequel Trilogy, and it's just more of the same stuff we got in the Original Trilogy four decades ago. There was just no interest in expanding either the story or the universe there; it was just a cynical move on the part of Lucasfilm and Disney to feed the audience the same thing they were given two generations ago instead of building on that foundation. It's like, We know you hated the Prequels, so here's the same shit you liked back around 1980... the Rebellion, the Empire, the Death Star, the fallen Jedi Order, new versions of Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. And the old Emperor, too, so you'll shut the fuck up.

It just seems like Jon Faverau and Dave Filoni "get it" in a way that J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson don't. The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett seem to be building on top of the existing stories in a way that the Sequels didn't. That one scene of Luke tearing through the Dark Troopers was better than anything in The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker.

Though my enthusiasm is dulled by the fact that everything that happens in the Disney+ series set in the post-ROTJ era will probably just end up building toward the execrable Sequel Trilogy. <sigh>

(I hate to drag the Sequel Trilogy into this discussion, but I can't answer the question without the comparison.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
B.A. (12-24-21), Why So Blu? (12-14-21)
Old 12-14-21, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It just seems like Jon Faverau and Dave Filoni "get it" in a way that J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson don't. The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett seem to be building on top of the existing stories in a way that the Sequels didn't. That one scene of Luke tearing through the Dark Troopers was better than anything in The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker.
Agreed. Watching The Mandalorian made me excited about Star Wars for the first time since I was a kid watching the originals, while the souless prequel and sequel trilogies never did that for me.

Old 12-14-21, 07:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Agreed. Watching The Mandalorian made me excited about Star Wars for the first time since I was a kid watching the originals, while the souless prequel and sequel trilogies never did that for me.
I agree, but I am willing to cut JJ some slack. I think TFA set up an interesting sequel trilogy, but RJ shit all over it... then JJ had to be called in to salvage the mess, which was a rushed unfulfilling mishmash... we were all expecting another trilogy, but they should've course corrected after the putrid misstep of TLJ, took their time with episode 9 and then surprise everyone with it ending on a cliffhanger teasing STAR WARS X. Ooooh, ahhhh.
Old 12-14-21, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I agree, but I am willing to cut JJ some slack. I think TFA set up an interesting sequel trilogy, but RJ shit all over it... then JJ had to be called in to salvage the mess, which was a rushed unfulfilling mishmash... we were all expecting another trilogy, but they should've course corrected after the putrid misstep of TLJ, took their time with episode 9 and then surprise everyone with it ending on a cliffhanger teasing STAR WARS X. Ooooh, ahhhh.
JJ really should have been a trailblazer and done two episodes. TROS had enough story for two episodes and I think many of the criticisms come from it feeling rushed. Introducing and then getting rid of Palpatine in the same movie didn’t do it any favors.
Old 12-14-21, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
JJ really should have been a trailblazer and done two episodes. TROS had enough story for two episodes and I think many of the criticisms come from it feeling rushed. Introducing and then getting rid of Palpatine in the same movie didn’t do it any favors.
Setting up Snoke to the be Big Bad of the sequel trilogy and then unceremoniously killing him off at the halfway point of the trilogy kind of painted TROS into a corner. There was no time to introduce a new bad guy so they had to dig up one we already knew.
Old 12-15-21, 06:47 AM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a great time with the sequels. I prefer them to the prequels, but I like all of Star Wars for the most part. The sequels are flawed, but those flaws just don't matter as much to me when compared with what did work. I've still yet to hear and idea I prefer to the movies we got. Most of the time I end up being very happy the person is nowhere close to Star Wars.

I've wanted a live-action Star Wars series since I was a kid watching Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers. The Mandalorian just checks a box for me that movies don't. Not saying one is better than the other, just that I can't believe it's taken this long to get live-action Star Wars series. My excitement for these series has nothing to do with the quality of the sequels.

Originally Posted by Decker
Just curious : What looks so amazing to you? It looks perfectly fine to me and I am looking forward to watching it, but nothing in the trailer looked that fantastic to me , nothing made me think 'I can't wait to see that​​​​​​'. Is it just the setting?
After The Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian, Filoni has my trust (Favreau and Rodriguez too), so a lot of it is just excitement over what story they're telling next. But the trailer itself is interesting though. It looks like even though they start out on Tatooine, they're going to places we haven't seen before. I'm always excited to see new people and places in Star Wars. Also, we're finally getting a live-action story centered around Boba Fett, and that's something many have been wanting for decades. He's usually high up on most favorite characters lists. I'm also looking forward to Ludwig Goransson's score. He's a genius. I think the trailer does a good job of giving us a taste without showing us too much. I'd rather be surprised while watching the show.

The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (12-30-21)
Old 12-16-21, 02:35 PM

How 'The Book of Boba Fett' Will Shake Up 'Star Wars'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...rs-1235062364/

If the Book of Boba Fett teaser trailers released so far seem a bit less than epic, it’s due to a deliberate act of restraint: The producers have only revealed footage from the seven-episode season’s opening minutes. “We can’t use the second half of the first episode because it gives so much away,” Rodriguez says.
Old 12-16-21, 03:16 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I'll tell ya one thing that is definitely gonna shake people up in the first ten minutes of the first episode:
Spoiler:
That dinner party of Jabba's former captains is definitely going to end up a dinner party for the new rancor under the trap door where the table is...

Old 12-22-21, 09:49 AM

ONE WEEK!

Old 12-22-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I just rewatched season two of The Mandalorian in preparation for this, and now I'm even more excited, can't wait!
Rodney2187 (12-22-21)
Old 12-22-21, 11:48 AM

Old 12-22-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Ming Na Wen shared some images of the Fennec Shand Hot Toy

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
B.A. (12-24-21), Rodney2187 (12-24-21)
Old 12-23-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Yeah, not to open THAT can of worms again, but I've heard from more than a few sources that JJ really didn't have control of that film the way he did TFA, and KK and the brass at Disney were demanding certain things be in TROS. I think that's why JJ has more or less cut all ties with Disney at this point.
Old 12-23-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It’s also telling that JJ didn’t do a commentary for the Blu-ray of TROS. There’s so many things we heard about during pre-production that just completely disappeared when the final film came out, especially Matt Smith’s role.

I’m really of the opinion that JJ wanted to make a two parter but Disney forced him to cram it all down into one film.
Old 12-24-21, 10:28 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Rodney2187 (12-24-21)
Old 12-24-21, 01:35 PM

I wonder who this is:

Old 12-24-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

^ Someone who was late to wardrobe and just filmed in her street clothes?
Old 12-24-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney2187
I wonder who this is:

[spoiler]Mara Jade[/spioler]

Old 12-24-21, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Looking forward to it.
Old 12-25-21, 09:02 AM

"You know damn well who."

Old 12-25-21, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Setting up Snoke to the be Big Bad of the sequel trilogy and then unceremoniously killing him off at the halfway point of the trilogy kind of painted TROS into a corner. There was no time to introduce a new bad guy so they had to dig up one we already knew.
That’s why i think the only way to do episode 9 right would have been to have the villains be the weapons dealers at canto bight.

Have Kylo Ren meeting with them to possibly come to new terms as the new head of the last order and Rey and friends going there to take him or the weapons dealers down and then you can go any number of ways with Kylo either teaming up with the weapons dealers or joining Rey or a 3 way battle or whatever.

Not saying it would be amazing i just dont see what else episode 8 sets you up for that isn’t a mess.

I like the last jedi as a movie it’s just an awful penultimate episode to a 9 episode saga.
Old 12-26-21, 12:35 PM

Old 12-27-21, 06:22 PM

The first in a series of posters by Andrew Swainson inspired by The Book of Boba Fett.

Old 12-28-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

weekly drops for these series are going to make for a long few months. Can't wait!
Rodney2187 (12-28-21)
Old 12-28-21, 12:19 PM

This will be a day long remembered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.