TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale - 12/18/20

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 16: The Rescue (S2E8) - Season Finale - 12/18/20

Originally Posted by lopper
If I look at this episode as the end of Mando’s chapter, then I’m okay with something if this magnitude happening. It’s appropriate for a finale. I would have to think his arc is concluded for now, and Mandolorian S3 is the Chapter of Boba.
Yeah, thinking about it more this almost could have been the series finale. Everything is wrapped up at the end.

The only real loose end is with Bo Katan and the Dark Saber. Thing is though up until now Mando hasn’t cared about the Dark Saber or being the ruler of Mandalore. Curious what direction the third season will go.
Old 12-19-20, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Bib Fortuna has always been a favorite minor character of mine. He’s unsettling and strange. I loved seeing how he was brought back.
And I liked that he was holding the staff that came with the original 1983 action figure lol

And Dr. Pershing really reminds me of Mr. Mike from Saturday Night Live.

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-22-20)
Old 12-19-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bib got chunky in a few years. I guess he was probably just sitting around the palace not doing much.

Nice touch with the staff from the Kenner figure.
Old 12-19-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

One thing that's kind of been bugging me - was there any indication of why the scientist was willing to give so much information at the beginning of the episode? They didn't even have to threaten him at that point. Was he just scared after having his ear grazed?
Old 12-19-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

that was amazing. Missed the recap as I had family come in the door as the credits started to roll so now I have my excuse to rewatch the episode. I have to say this is what I wanted from the last trilogy series and it makes me hate Rian's movie even more than I did.

very glad I got to watch it last night and did not have it spoiled before seeing the big reveal as I went through the same disbelief as the rest of you with the slow reveal.
tanman (12-23-20)
Old 12-19-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
One thing that's kind of been bugging me - was there any indication of why the scientist was willing to give so much information at the beginning of the episode? They didn't even have to threaten him at that point. Was he just scared after having his ear grazed?
He seemed to have not been on board with what Moff Gideon and the Imperials were doing to Grogu. My impression is that he was probably working with them against his will. Pretty sure that’s why he was willing to help Mando and company.
mikehunt (01-08-21)
Old 12-19-20, 02:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Loved that Luke showed up with his laser sword and faced down the army of droids to save the day.

I do like that no one, besides the audience and maybe Cara Dune, have any idea who he actually is. Bo Katan just sees a Jedi...
The following 2 users liked this post by Geddlo:
mikehunt (01-08-21), milo bloom (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The showdown with Mando and Moff Gideon wasn’t exactly what I expected. Gideon went down a little easier then I thought. Curious if we’ll see more of him.
That was a really well done scene, IMO. Gideon attacks so aggressively and without warning that Mando is back on his heels and playing defense at first. Then he gets his footing and brings his staff into play, and you can see that Gideon's advantage only comes from having the darksaber, but Mando's got the moves. I loved that move he makes where he plants his staff to block a swipe from the darksaber, then kicks the bottom end of the staff to swing it around and attack Gideon.
Old 12-19-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

If I look at this episode as the end of Mando’s chapter, then I’m okay with something if this magnitude happening. It’s appropriate for a finale. I would have to think his arc is concluded for now, and Mandolorian S3 is the Chapter of Boba.
It's the end of his quest with Grogu, but he still has a story that will take him and Bo-Katan back to Mandalore. His other Mandalorian brethren were killed or scattered at the end of season 1.
Old 12-19-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

My children were distressed when they realized that Mando sent Baby Yoda away to be slaughtered at Luke's Jedi school.​​
Old 12-19-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I can freely admit that I was somewhat critical of Season 1. It was fun but just didn’t pull me in like I was hoping. I also have to admit I was completely in love with Season 2 from the premiere. It was absolutely fantastic from beginning to end!

I had mixed feelings about bringing the Skywalkers back into the fold but as soon as Ahsoka talked about other Jedi out there, the 10 year old in me really hoped it would be Luke. Seeing him show back up in this episode was incredible. I was afraid the CGI would be Rogue One Leia bad but I think it looked pretty good. Much better than Leia and Tarkin. It wasn’t perfect but it was believable enough not to take me out of the show.

The only thing that I didn’t care for was a laser gun getting jammed but I can overlook that part

I’ve been watching this series with my 6 year old son and it’s been great to be able to re-experience the feeling of Star Wars of my youth with him.

Old 12-19-20, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

If this were the series finale of The Mandalorian, than I am totally fine with that ending. The problem with bringing back Luke Skywalker (as JJ Abrams said back in 2015 after Luke was in Episode 7 for 30 seconds) is that he's so powerful, he overshadows everything else. And that's not belittling Luke, that's almost saying he's a God at this point (that scene was like watching Superman motor through everything in site). How can the show top that season finale after what we saw from Luke? If there is ever a large threat to the galaxy again, how can he not come to the rescue in Season 3,4,5?

Ironically, this may get some fans to re-think how Luke was portrayed in TLJ. He shut himself off from the Force, and that is when the whole galaxy went to a Civil War. That's the only way you can have Luke not overshadow any situation in a Galaxy Far Far Away.
Old 12-19-20, 05:27 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The only thing that I didn’t care for was a laser gun getting jammed but I can overlook that part
To be fair, Cara’s weapon does shoot “blaster bolts” so it could get jammed. 😉
Old 12-19-20, 05:34 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
IIf there is ever a large threat to the galaxy again, how can he not come to the rescue in Season 3,4,5?
The show shouldn't be about galaxy large threats, at least not in the sense that our main characters need to do anything about. It is smaller stories, and overall, that is what it has been.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
B.A. (12-20-20), mikehunt (01-08-21), VinVega (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder if the Boba Fett series takes place largely at Jabba’s Palace (or formerly his palace I guess) if we’ll see the monk creatures that are a part of the Mythos that are supposed to live below.
Yeah, I hope Bib isn't completely dead, and they saved his brain...

Spoilers for the old EU:
Spoiler:
In the old EU, Bib Fortuna's brain was transplanted into one of the monk's robotic spider bodies. A spider robot is briefly glimpsed in ROTJ when the droids enter Jabba's palace.

Actually Jabba's palace is a monastary, and those monks (who are brains floating in robot spiders) and Jabba's gang co-exist in that giant building. I always thought that was an intersting concept, and wouldn't mind them canonizing it.

Old 12-19-20, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I really wish they would have shown how the Slave 1 was able to connect to the shuttle and transfer people over. I'm having trouble imagining just how that would work.
I had to tell myself “Quit being a nerd and just let it go.” Same with a “laser rifle” “jamming.”

It is these stupid details that bug me ... Quit being a nerd, Abob.
Old 12-19-20, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Yall looove the series so the not great Skywalker cgi gets a pass. i had a fanboy pretty much get jizz on my shoe as he gushed over this finale. I mean it was good, but not get jizz in someone's shoe good.

Old 12-19-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

^ Can it at least trickle down my leg, even if I don’t fill a shoe?

I also thought the Luke CGI was surprisingly good. I was worried when he removed his hood because I thought it would be terrible. It wasn’t.
Giantrobo (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 08:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

what can be said that hasn't been already.

much like I said after Rogue One that I never thought I'd see Darth Vader kicking ass like that...
much like I said after seeing the trailer for The Force Awakens, I never thought I'd see Harrison Ford as Han Solo again...

I never thought I'd see Luke fucking Skywalker young at full power ever. Seeing Luke and R2 together again in their prime... my goodness.

This show is such a gem and they really need to give the keys to the kingdom to Mikey from Swingers and Filoni. They are fans first... and it shows... no attention to detail is spared.

The following 3 users liked this post by TGM:
mikehunt (01-08-21), tanman (12-23-20), Thos19 (12-21-20)
Old 12-19-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I think there's a pretty wide range of sensitivity to CGI realism or lacktherof. I thought the CGI was pretty bad and looked very unnatural when Luke was talking. Several articles I've read online also commented on the CGI being bad. Here are a couple:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-mandalor...-im-1845912360
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/18/...skywalker-saga
Giantrobo (12-21-20)
Old 12-19-20, 09:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

they have trouble with mouths still.

but that's OK.
Old 12-19-20, 09:24 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I watched the season 2 finale. I want to have Jon Favreau's baby.

This 40 min episode blew away the last SIX Star Wars trilogy movies that were made.
Old 12-19-20, 09:27 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
My children were distressed when they realized that Mando sent Baby Yoda away to be slaughtered at Luke's Jedi school.​​
Grogu is going to make it. Hell, he may even show up to help train Rey in some episode far in the future.
Old 12-19-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Going to parse lots of responses into one post ...

kefrank and colin ... you aren’t alone. There is plenty of good in both the PT and the ST and there is plenty of bad in both the PT and the ST. I can get past some of the amateurish filmmaking in both, but what I find to be the worst decision made in both sets is the decision to retcon and make the whole thing about a single bloodline. That said ...

We saw the X-Wing and I thought it was the pilot we’ve been seeing this season. Then I thought, “No, he would have identified himself, wouldn’t be alone, and what the heck is he going to do anyway?” We saw the cloak and my housemate said “Ahsoka!” My first reaction was “Hell yes! But why did they have to ruin this by forcing her into Luke’s X-Wing?” Then we saw ONE lightsaber in the security feed, not two. I knew. I tried to deny it.

My housemate looked at me and said, “You are hating this right now, aren’t you?” I had to think about it. I think I am OK with it though. It served the story and did not make it about Luke. It was a logical step. Nobody proclaimed, “Oh, thank heavens, Luke is here!” Grogu needs a Jedi to train him, who was doing that at this point in the timeline? Luke was pretty much it. I’m OK.

OTHER RANDOM THINGS

While I love most of what Favreau and Filoni have done, there is plenty coming the Filoni-verse that I don’t care for. I never watched Clone Wars. I tried a few times and couldn’t get past “It’s juvenile Star Wars.” I did push myself through Rebels, though it evoked that same reaction from me at times. Bringing those things here ... yeah, still feels like mixing toys in the sandbox.

The Dark Saber ... adamantium, vibranium, unobtainmium ... I like the Mandalorian lore around the Darksaber, but it is just lazy kids-in-the-sandbox escalation. Lightsabers can cut through anything! Nuh-uh, they can’t cut through my Darksaber! Oh yeah, well I have Darksaber-proof armor, so your Darksaber can’t cut through my beskar! Dummy, how come your beskar can be melted with a blowtorch and made into armor then?!

Moff Gideon ... has felt generic to me the whole time, from his design to his portrayal. Even using Giancarlo Esposito has not given the character any life.

Dark Troopers ... did not feel very Star Wars-y to me, I know they are from ... something. They felt too robotic though. We’ve had plenty of mechanical characters and these felt very out of place by their movement. Which also reminds me ... punching the door down? That’s what they have? Oh dear.

Season 3 without Grogu would be a mistake. I know the show isn’t about him, per se, however they will lose a notable chunk of the audience without him being in the show regularly.

THE GOOD ... trying to touch on just the things I haven’t heard here already ...

I know we’ve said it before but ... OMG the score is great every week!

The Dark Troopers. Like I said, not a fan of the character execution, but I love the concept. We’ve come full circle again. “Imperial” troops were robots, then clones, then people, and now robots again. The human in the armor was the weak point. When they were blown out of the airlock, I said to my housemate, “They aren’t dead though. They are robots. They’ll be back shortly.”

The Battlestar Galactica nods ... the Tie Fighters launching down the tube and Starbucks, er, Bo-Katan crashing back into the tube.

Slave 1 ... why does just seeing that ship excite me?

Boba Fett saying he never said he was a Mandalorian ... but still the connection to the armor persists. I was iffy at first, but I am digging the armor over a black cloak look.
Old 12-19-20, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Dark Troopers ... did not feel very Star Wars-y to me, I know they are from ... something.
They were very Cybermen-ish (Doctor Who) to me.
T-bone22 (12-20-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.