DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Resident Alien (SyFy) -- S: Alan Tudyk -- Premieres 1/27/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651998-resident-alien-syfy-s-alan-tudyk-premieres-1-27-21-a.html)

DJariya 12-15-20 04:22 PM

Resident Alien (SyFy) -- S: Alan Tudyk -- Premieres 1/27/21

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...823267c86c.jpg

Based on the Dark Horse comic, SYFY's RESIDENT ALIEN follows Harry, an alien played by Alan Tudyk ("Rogue One," "Firefly") that crash lands on Earth and passes himself off as a small-town human doctor. Arriving with a secret mission to kill all humans, Harry starts off living a simple life... but things get a bit rocky when he's roped into solving a local murder and realizes he needs to assimilate into his new world. As he does so, he begins to wrestle with the moral dilemma of his mission and asking the big life questions like: "Are human beings worth saving?" and "Why do they fold their pizza before eating it?" Sara Tomko ("Once Upon A Time"), Corey Reynolds ("The Closer"), Alice Wetterlund ("Silicon Valley") and Levi Fiehler ("Mars") star as the big personalities of small-town Patience, Colorado.

This was supposed to air this year, but was pushed due to the pandemic. Just putting it on your radars.

Eric F 12-16-20 01:17 AM

Re: Resident Alien (SyFy) -- S: Alan Tudyk -- Premieres 1/27/21

He never fails to find work.

PhantomStranger 12-19-20 09:11 PM

I'll give it a shot.

lwhy? 12-19-20 10:11 PM

I love the comic series. I hope this ends up being good.

DJariya 01-27-21 01:09 PM

Bump

This officially premieres tonight.

lwhy? 01-27-21 01:12 PM

Thanks for the bump. I forgot to set my DVR.

whotony 01-27-21 09:39 PM

I don’t care for the premise but I live Tudyk so I’ll watch for a few eps.

PhantomStranger 01-28-21 05:42 PM

Forgot it was even playing...

General Zod 01-28-21 08:00 PM

I watched it. It was OK.. How did he know how to perform an autopsy? I mean I know it's not a serious show but.. I WANT ANSWERS!!

I like Alan though. He and Jane Lynch were sitting right behind me on a SouthWest flight once. This back when Jane was on Glee. The funny part about it all was once we all got our luggage and walked out of that area there at the Burbank airport TMZ pounced on Jane while Alan just walked on by.

tonyc3742 01-29-21 02:27 PM

Watched it last night. I do like Tudyk. I hope he's cool in real life, he seems like he should be.
I need to give it another ep or two. I know it's worldbuilding right now.
He did seem to know a lot of things I wouldn't have expected, and not know some things I thought he would.
I like his subtle facial expressions and hand motions, those really feel like 'alien in a human body/environment'.
There were a few outsider "cringey" moments, and a few outsider laugh-out-loud moments (or at least audible chuckle).
My wife said 'there sure are a lot of shows about Outsiders to a Small Town in the Midwest/Alaska/Canada who now become integral to the community'. TV tropes, what are ya gonna do. (And this one starts with a dead body, just like Twin Peaks. Maybe not *just* like Twin Peaks.)

PhantomStranger 01-31-21 06:18 PM

The pilot was mildly humorous. It's not the out-and-out comedy I was expecting. More of a quirky sci-fi dramedy with a lot of room given to its main star to lighten the mood when necessary.

I'm sticking around for a few episodes. I wonder how serialized this will become. The premise lends itself to procedural hijinx fairly easily. Feels more like a Syfy production from a decade ago than a 2021 series, which isn't a bad thing.

RichC2 01-31-21 11:45 PM

This reminds me of USA show from circa 2007.

DJariya 02-05-21 03:21 PM

I watched the 1st 2 episodes last night and I quite enjoyed it. Quirky and made me chuckle multiple times.

Tudyk does seem to have the personality to play this kind of odd character.

I :lol: at how he's dead set on murdering that kid who can see his true form.

whotony 02-05-21 05:00 PM

This is really funny.
Tudyk is killing it in this show. The kid is great too.

Ep 3 popped up as an on demand option at the end of 2 on Comcast.

Jay G. 02-06-21 10:46 PM

Syfy posted the first two episodes to Youtube:

PhantomStranger 02-06-21 11:52 PM

The second episode was funnier than the first episode.

Inhumans99 02-08-21 01:17 PM

I find Tudyk's quest to get rid of the kid or make him sound like someone you would usually ignore if they were the type of person who started talking about aliens disguised as humans to be hilarious. I think this will quickly become a fan fave show, as it has a great cast and I agree with others in this thread that it really does feel like the type of show that has not been on the airwaves of the Syfy channel for quite some time. I miss the days when shows like Eureka were on the Syfy channel, so this show is helping to scratch that itch.

Noonan 02-22-21 07:52 AM

Watched all the episodes over the weekend. More enjoyable than I anticipated. The cop and Tudyk's back and forth with the kid make the show.

Inhumans99 02-22-21 11:17 AM

I just watched the latest episode and Tudyk's evolution of his relationship with the kid who can see his true face really is wonderful. You have to love the kid insisting that Tudyk and him should be buds. I get that the first episode or two may not have immediately hooked folks who are pre-disposed to like this type of show, but as of the episode that recently aired if you are still not sold on the show I get why you would chose to stop watching and move on.

I am glad that it seems that folks in this thread are starting to come around to the show. It may be too early for such an announcement but I am down for a season 2.

PhantomStranger 02-24-21 04:21 PM

The buzz around this show is fairly positive. It's a likable comedic cast and so far has been enjoyable.

lwhy? 03-10-21 04:01 PM

I watched the first two episodes this week. I really liked the comic series. The alien in the comic series is very likeable. I hate that they made him evil for the tv series and that he wants to destroy all humans. I'm sure they did that for tv, but I'm not a fan of that so far.

PhantomStranger 03-10-21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 13903569)
I watched the first two episodes this week. I really liked the comic series. The alien in the comic series is very likeable. I hate that they made him evil for the tv series and that he wants to destroy all humans. I'm sure they did that for tv, but I'm not a fan of that so far.

Just a guess but I suspect they plan to have the alien discover he likes humanity and ultimately ends up working against his alien bosses.

lwhy? 03-10-21 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13903590)
Just a guess but I suspect they plan to have the alien discover he likes humanity and ultimately ends up working against his alien bosses.

I'm suspecting that too, but it's a hard turn from the comic character and he doesn't kill people in the comics either. I know they made him evil for tv and to make him more interesting. I highly recommend the comics if anyone has time to read them. Also, his character in the comics is a biologist so practicing as a doctor is an easier turn for him. He doesn't have to watch YouTube videos.

The Antipodean 03-11-21 11:19 PM

Our whole family is enjoying this one quite a lot. Tudyk is great and it’s good for him to finally get a showcase. Could do without some of the town drama (the adopted daughter subplot got old fast) but it’s pretty good fun. Anyone know if it’ll get a season 2 yet?

Gizmo 03-11-21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13904427)
Our whole family is enjoying this one quite a lot. Tudyk is great and it’s good for him to finally get a showcase. Could do without some of the town drama (the adopted daughter subplot got old fast) but it’s pretty good fun. Anyone know if it’ll get a season 2 yet?

Does SyFy even have many original programs left? Seems like everything is ending with few new shows (Chucky?) which are spread across multiple networks.