Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Mandalorian: Chapter 14: The Tragedy (S2E6) - 12/4/20

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 14: The Tragedy (S2E6) - 12/4/20

Maybe Boba ate his way out of the Sarlacc?
Old 12-09-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe they’ll write it off as accelerated aging due to the cloning process. It’s an easy excuse to use since we already know of it.
Solid Snake will join the party in season 3
Old 12-09-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

The Mandalorian should stuck to Z-level characters like Ugnaughts. Boba Fett, a character in like 4 scenes, should be the limit. I'm glad we finally had someone on who could say "hey, this kid looks like Yoda" but that's all I want.

Keep the Skywalkers far away.
The following users liked this post:
kefrank (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 04:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Re: how old Boba Fett now looks.

Tatooine has two suns.

Can also explain Obi Wan's look.
Old 12-09-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Keep the Skywalkers far away.
Agreed wholeheartedly. I think recasting Luke Skywalker of all characters is a supremely bad idea, but I honestly wonder if Filoni/Favreau/etc can help themselves.

The following 2 users liked this post by lopper:
kefrank (12-09-20), MysterioMan007 (12-09-20)
Old 12-09-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Agreed wholeheartedly. I think recasting Luke Skywalker of all characters is a supremely bad idea, but I honestly wonder if Filoni/Favreau/etc can help themselves.
They’ve yet to recast anyone so....

This is all things fans want. Not necessarily saying it will happen. Also enough of us don’t like the portrayal the character in the sequels. At this point recasting doesn’t seem like the worst idea. I still like my idea of going animated better though.
Old 12-09-20, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

They’ve yet to recast anyone so....

This is all things fans want. Not necessarily saying it will happen. Also enough of us don’t like the portrayal the character in the sequels. At this point recasting doesn’t seem like the worst idea. I still like my idea of going animated better though.
I would argue that at least the first and third movies in the sequel trilogy were slightly disappointing because too much attention was paid to "things fans want."

Part of what has made The Mandalorian great is that it takes place in the interesting Star Wars universe but it stands on its own and has added to the mythology in some new ways. It doesn't need a "Skywalker saga" tie-in and IMO doing that would diminish what has made the series so good up to this point.
Old 12-09-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I would argue that at least the first and third movies in the sequel trilogy were slightly disappointing because too much attention was paid to "things fans want."
I would say that about The Rise of Skywalker, but that was only after The Last Jedi was so divisive amongst fans.

The Force Awakens was more just a retread. The legacy characters were handled in it best overall and didn’t necessarily feel forced. Just a continuation of the characters. The film itself though was way too much a revamped version of A New Hope.

None of the sequels were particularly good movies and I think will always be looked upon with what could have been.

Part of what has made The Mandalorian great is that it takes place in the interesting Star Wars universe but it stands on its own and has added to the mythology in some new ways. It doesn't need a "Skywalker saga" tie-in and IMO doing that would diminish what has made the series so good up to this point.
I agree. I don’t necessarily know that I want Luke to show up. If he does though and it’s handled properly I wouldn’t necessarily oppose it. I think there’s a lot of ground that could be covered post ROTJ that we missed out on because the sequels happened too late.
tanman (12-10-20)
Old 12-10-20, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I would say that about The Rise of Skywalker, but that was only after The Last Jedi was so divisive amongst fans.

The Force Awakens was more just a retread. The legacy characters were handled in it best overall and didn’t necessarily feel forced. Just a continuation of the characters. The film itself though was way too much a revamped version of A New Hope.

None of the sequels were particularly good movies and I think will always be looked upon with what could have been.
I think the "revamped version of A New Hope" aspect of The Force Awakens was also very much trying to put in "things fans want." The thinking seemed to be, we have to introduce this new generation of characters - let's put them in a bunch of familiar Star Wars tropes so that it will all feel warm and fuzzy for the fans. That said, I agree that The Force Awakens is the best and most cohesive of the three sequels and I say that as someone who actually really liked the handling of Luke in The Last Jedi and enjoyed Rey's plot thread in that one immensely.

I agree. I don’t necessarily know that I want Luke to show up. If he does though and it’s handled properly I wouldn’t necessarily oppose it. I think there’s a lot of ground that could be covered post ROTJ that we missed out on because the sequels happened too late.
I can definitely understand feeling that way. For me, covering post-ROTJ ground is a ship that has already sailed and I'd rather this new thing that is so far really good on its own not be used as a vehicle for that. If Lucasfilm/Disney want to cover that ground, it should be in a totally separate property IMO. But I certainly get the desire for it.
Old 12-10-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Speaking for myself, I grew up loving Star Wars, but I was born before I could see any of the OT in theaters. I think my love of Star Wars greatly came from the expanded universe of novels. I then went to the theater to watch the first prequel movie, and I was not pleased. I haven't watched those movies again, and honestly my obsession with Star Wars kind of faded after that. I think I watched some of the Clone Wars cartoons, but after the prequel trilogy, I wasn't in love with the mythology anymore.

When the Force Awakens came out, I went to the theater just because, hey, it's Star Wars, and they're finally doing the sequel series. I was disappointed they chose JJ Abrams to head up the new series, and I feel like my fears were well founded. It was an unimaginative retread. I watched the Last Jedi, and I was OK with it, I guess. It wasn't all that memorable, and I still haven't bothered to watch the Rise of Skywalker. I read some reviews, followed the discussion here, and I just don't think I can bring myself to suffer through a videogame as a movie.

I love the idea of the world of the Star Wars universe as a building ground, so I do enjoy the Mandalorian. It's a fun little show, but it's not anything amazing. It's just a fun space western. I would prefer they stay as far away from the sequel trilogy as possible though. I think the canon of Star Wars is an absolute convoluted mess, and I wish it didn't bother me, but it does not let me "turn off my brain" and enjoy the movies anymore. So, I hope they just do their own thing for now. I don't know why I rambled this all out, but there you go.

Old 12-10-20, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I think they clearly COULD stay away from the ST... but they're not. Grogu and his midichlorians are clearly being used to create clones; which is a pre-cursor to a cloned Emperor. Since we all know how that story ends, I hope I'm wrong. I want no tie-ins to the ST myself.
Old 12-10-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I think they clearly COULD stay away from the ST... but they're not. Grogu and his midichlorians are clearly being used to create clones; which is a pre-cursor to a cloned Emperor. Since we all know how that story ends, I hope I'm wrong. I want no tie-ins to the ST myself.
I'm not sure about that. So far I have faith in them. They've done an excellent job of tying in these small plot threads to connect the universe of the mandalorian to the overall universe of Star Wars without bogging it down or making it seem superfluous. I can see them not exploring the cloning process anymore in the series. It served a purpose to the story of the Mandalorian by explaining why Moff Gideon want's baby Yoda so badly and that's all they need to do. Making it tie in with Palpatine in RoS is just icing. I don't think they're going to do a time jump and have baby Yoda training Rey or anything like that. At least I hope not.
Old 12-10-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This wasn't posted but S3 will hit Christmas 2021
B.A. (12-10-20)
Old 12-10-20, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
This wasn't posted but S3 will hit Christmas 2021
Not sure why it got missed. Been a pretty slow news day for Star Wars...
Old 01-07-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Grogu throwing troopers around was great
all this Skywalker talk, I wouldn't be unopposed to one scene
something like
camera behind Luke (no face shot means who cares what stunt double is sitting there) who is meditating. Voice over (by Mark Hamill) "Master Yoda, I'm feeling a disturbance in the force"
Ghost Yoda appears "Sense it too I do. Another of my kind it is, help him you must"
then the scene fades out

otherwise I'd prefer not to have Luke show up. Unless they're going to retcon out the sequel trilogy.

edit: I've now finished the season. I'm going to leave this up, but my opinion changed
episode 8 spoiler
Spoiler:
The way they brought Luke back was worth is

Last edited by mikehunt; 01-08-21 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-07-21, 03:14 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Grogu throwing troopers around was great
all this Skywalker talk, I wouldn't be unopposed to one scene
something like
camera behind Luke (no face shot means who cares what stunt double is sitting there) who is meditating. Voice over (by Mark Hamill) "Master Yoda, I'm feeling a disturbance in the force"
Ghost Yoda appears "Sense it too I do. Another of my kind it is, help him you must"
then the scene fades out

otherwise I'd prefer not to have Luke show up. Unless they're going to retcon out the sequel trilogy.
Are you binge watching this series?
Old 01-07-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

Originally Posted by VinVega
Are you binge watching this series?
basically, doing a couple episodes a day.
I never watch any show like this week to week anymore
Old 01-08-21, 08:53 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by mikehunt
basically, doing a couple episodes a day.
I never watch any show like this week to week anymore
I would be scared to post in the episode threads due to spoilers. I hope you enjoy the rest of the season. It was pretty awesome.
Old 01-08-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I would be scared to post in the episode threads due to spoilers. I hope you enjoy the rest of the season. It was pretty awesome.
I wait until after I've seen that episode before going into the corresponding thread
if Mandalorian got one season thread vs episode threads I'd stay out of it altogether until done with all episodes. since I'm getting to see this close enough to air date, unlike the DC shows that I'm about 2 seasons behind on, I figured I'd share thoughts. Trying to get back into coming to dvdtalk since I'm not the regular I used to be
Old 01-08-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I think that what Vin is getting at is that by posting in these threads now, before you have finished it, you run the chance of someone responding with a spoiler. I know that I wanted to to respond to something in your post, but I thought better of it.

You're probably good now if you're going to finish it today, but if I were you, and if I did decide to post in each thread, I would probably avoid the responses until I had finished it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
mikehunt (01-08-21), VinVega (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 10:56 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think that what Vin is getting at is that by posting in these threads now, before you have finished it, you run the chance of someone responding with a spoiler. I know that I wanted to to respond to something in your post, but I thought better of it.

You're probably good now if you're going to finish it today, but if I were you, and if I did decide to post in each thread, I would probably avoid the responses until I had finished it.
It's hard to have a conversation based on a past episode if you don't compartmentalize what's in your mind from the next episodes that you have seen and you might let something slip. Like remember when Darth Vader came in and did a hula dance? Haha, that couldn't happen because Darth Vader is dead....or is he? j/k, none of that shit happened in the Mandalorian.
mikehunt (01-08-21)