DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Discovery (S3E07) -- "Unification III" -- 11/26/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651837-star-trek-discovery-s3e07-unification-iii-11-26-20-a.html)

DJariya 11-26-20 07:43 PM

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E07) -- "Unification III" -- 11/26/20

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...7586afc1b9.jpg

UNIFICATION III — While grappling with the fallout of her recent actions, and what her future might hold, Burnham agrees to represent the Federation in an intense debate about the release of politically sensitive – but highly valuable – Burn data.

Written by Kirsten Beyer. Directed by Jon Dudkowski.

Goldberg74 11-27-20 08:00 PM

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E07) -- "Unification III" -- 11/26/20

Hmmmmm, no chatter about this episode yet.

It was good. Not great. And if you hate Sonequa Martin-Green's acting, you'll "love" this ep. She's at her bi-polar-hot-and-cold best. :|

Without giving too much away, there was a lot of talking... and a lot of it went over my head but I would character it as pure fan-service for those Trekkies out there.

That being said, next week's ep looks like we'll be back to the battles. ;)

Eric F 11-27-20 09:21 PM

New ceremonies and back story to add to the Trek canon I guess...until it’s revealed that everything taken place this season has been in an alternate timeline.

marka351 11-28-20 12:07 PM

I thought it was just silly who the Captain picked to be his Number One, made no sense.

lisadoris 11-28-20 12:13 PM

Nice bit of fan service by linking to Spock's reunification mission and shouting out the USS Yelchin. Nice to get some closure on what happened to Gabrielle though I too question Saru's choice for Acting First Officer. Is it me or did anyone else get some slight romance vibes between Saru and the president?

Eric F 11-28-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris (Post 13849989)
Nice bit of fan service by linking to Spock's reunification mission and shouting out the USS Yelchin. Nice to get some closure on what happened to Gabrielle though I too question Saru's choice for Acting First Officer. Is it me or did anyone else get some slight romance vibes between Saru and the president?

I think that was the point. The President said she wanted to continue their discussion.

johnnysd 11-28-20 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13849823)
Hmmmmm, no chatter about this episode yet.

It was good. Not great. And if you hate Sonequa Martin-Green's acting, you'll "love" this ep. She's at her bi-polar-hot-and-cold best. :|

Without giving too much away, there was a lot of talking... and a lot of it went over my head but I would character it as pure fan-service for those Trekkies out there.

That being said, next week's ep looks like we'll be back to the battles. ;)

I can't stand her, and essentially an hour of very overwrought and frankly painfully dull melodrama was just sort of excruciating. Once again she is portrayed not only as the most important person in the show but the most important person in the galaxy and yet she has almost no redeeming qualities about her. She is the least humble person maybe ever portrayed on TV. This is the worst season of this show for me by a large margin. This whole episode was just ludicrous.

Eric F 11-28-20 10:27 PM

The Michael Burnham character has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. She is just unlikeable- maybe it's not how she was meant to be played, but it could be the lead's poor acting skills that has something to do with this.

Count Dooku 11-29-20 12:13 AM

Tilly is going to maintain her rank as an Ensign, but take the position of Second-in-Command. She will not out-rank all the officers on the ship, but she will be in command of them.

I don't have a military background, so somebody will have to explain that fucked up shit to me.

Kdogg 11-29-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13850224)
Tilly is going to maintain her rank as an Ensign, but take the position of Second-in-Command. She will not out-rank all the officers on the ship, but she will be in command of them.

I don't have a military background, so somebody will have to explain that fucked up shit to me.

They are making it up as they go along. Guessing because she is “acting” Number One they let it side. They should have at least made her an LT.

I hope they don’t have the Federation make a heel turn. I don’t need 2020 taking that from me. The Federation is not perfect and hypocritical and flawed but they strive for nobility. Seeing some compromises already just hoping it’s not to the core.

TGM 11-29-20 08:52 AM

Tilly being #1 is insanity.

Also, and I am not trying to body shame, but is she pregnant? She has always been a little chubby and her appearance being so was a bit of a breathe of fresh air,, but I feel she gained quite a bit of weight from s2 to 3?

Burnham actress is just horrid. The talent void created by losing Jason Isaacs and/or Anson Mount is glaring. I loved the idea of Star Trek going into the far future, unencumbered by decades of backstory but I had feared, and rightfully so, that this particular cast was not up for the task.

I do like the Great Value version of Idris Elba tho and of course, Oded Fehr is the burn, errr bomb.

milo bloom 11-29-20 02:00 PM

I can’t see them leaving Tilly as Ensign if they make her permanent First Officer. They’ll bump her to lieutenant at least.

As for outranking others by position but not rank, think of how on TNG when Deanna took the test to become a full commander so she technically outranked Data as a lieutenant-commander but he was still above her because he was Second Officer.

Count Dooku 11-29-20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13850389)
As for outranking others by position but not rank, think of how on TNG when Deanna took the test to become a full commander so she technically outranked Data as a lieutenant-commander but he was still above her because he was Second Officer.

I guess this is one of those "it's just a TV show" thing when they play so fast and loose with the rules within a supposed military structure.

In one of my fav TNG eps "The Lower Decks," they talk a lot about how getting promoted to being a bridge officer and serving at the OPS station is so important to career development, but Wesley Crusher had that job in the early seasons with no Academy training.

Josh-da-man 11-29-20 03:49 PM

And remember in Star Trek (2009) when Kirk was promoted to Captain from cadet after one single mission? rotfl

Count Dooku 11-29-20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13850276)
the Great Value version of Idris Elba .

good line :thumbsup:

Bandoman 11-30-20 07:35 AM

I really, really - really don't get the hate for Michael.

I loved this episode and the callback to the TNG Unification episodes. I got very emotional seeing Nimoy. I loved the Ni'Var storyline and it makes sense that there would be conflict among the Romulo-Vulcan population.

I want to see how they rebuild the Federation, and how it will be similiar to and different from the Federation we know.

Noonan 11-30-20 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13850704)
I really, really - really don't get the hate for Michael.

I loved this episode and the callback to the TNG Unification episodes. I got very emotional seeing Nimoy. I loved the Ni'Var storyline and it makes sense that there would be conflict among the Romulo-Vulcan population.

I want to see how they rebuild the Federation, and how it will be similiar to and different from the Federation we know.

She acts as a 180 opposite of who she actually is, a (half) Vulcan in Star Fleet. Any sense of acting based on logic went out the window with her.

I don't mind her much but I'm guessing that's the cause of most of the complaints?

BearFan 11-30-20 07:51 AM

This season has been a bit of a slog. Some good moments and a good concept. But, some of the acting, some of the story lines, and the melodrama is horrid in many cases. They should have had Burnham there more than a year .. the "I was gone for a year" stuff really does not hit home at all. 5 or 10 years .. yeah.

I thought season 1 was solid, season 2 was really enjoyable, this season not so much.

milo bloom 11-30-20 12:11 PM

Yeah, really feeling the absence Captain Pike from last season. I wonder how the Disco showrunners are going to feel when the Pike series finally comes out and everybody hypes that one up.

I'm still generally enjoying the show, but it's nowhere near as good as the second season was and it's not nearly as fun as Lower Decks was.

lisadoris 11-30-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13850710)
She acts as a 180 opposite of who she actually is, a (half) Vulcan in Star Fleet. Any sense of acting based on logic went out the window with her.

I don't mind her much but I'm guessing that's the cause of most of the complaints?

Burnham isn't half Vulcan; she's fully human but raised on Vulcan by a Vulcan and a human. The reason Sarek sent Burnham to work with Georgiou was to get in touch with her human side and she's really done that.

ben12 11-30-20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by marka351 (Post 13849988)
I thought it was just silly who the Captain picked to be his Number One, made no sense.

There were no other characters they bothered to develop, so they were really only left with one choice. Of course, they could've used it as an opportunity to pick one of the other 100 bridge crew officers and develop them that way. But no.

ben12 11-30-20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13850193)
The Michael Burnham character has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. She is just unlikeable- maybe it's not how she was meant to be played, but it could be the lead's poor acting skills that has something to do with this.

Yet every episode has characters talk about how she's the best of them. It's obnoxious!

I laughed out loud, though, when Michael shows up to Tilly's congratuations-you-should-say-yes surprise party and makes it all about Michael.