Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

A Teacher (Hulu) - S: Kate Mara, Nick Robinson - premieres 11/10/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-09-20, 07:45 PM

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,209 Posts

A Teacher, an upcoming miniseries starring Kate Mara and Nick Robinson, examines the complexities and consequences of an illegal relationship between Claire Wilson (Kate Mara), a young teacher at a suburban Texas high school, and her student, Eric Walker (Nick Robinson).

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adam David Thompson as Nate
· Ashley Zukerman as Matt
· Cameron Moulène as Cody
· Camila Perez as Alison
· Ciara Bravo as Mary
· Kate Mara as Claire
· Marielle Scott as Kathryn
· Nick Robinson as Eric
· Rya Kihlstedt as Sandy
· Shane Harper as Logan

CREW INFORMATION:
· Daniel Brocklehurst as EP
· Hannah Fidell as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Jason Bateman as EP
· Kate Mara as EP
· Michael Costigan as EP
10 episodes, the first 3 will be available for the premiere.

For fans of the infamous "Yet another teacher allegedly has sex with a student" thread.
Old 11-09-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,560 Posts
Re: A Teacher (Hulu) - S: Kate Mara, Nick Robinson - premieres 11/10/20

Old 11-10-20, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

This would probably get more attention in the topical Otter thread, which hasn’t been bumped in ages due to COVID.
Old 11-11-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 258 Likes on 152 Posts

I watched the first 3 episodes and liked it well enough. It feels kinda paint by numbers, though, like if someone told me the synopsis and told me to write the story it would be very much like what was happened so far. I think it’ll go from decent to good or even great once the relationship is outed.

Oh yeah, be prepared for some confused boners. Mara is gorgeous but it feels weird considering it’s depicting statutory rape.
Old 11-11-20, 10:37 PM

^^^ I agree with basically all you’ve said.

This is a confusing watch. Don’t cast two likeable actors who clearly have chemistry. I’m going to be rooting for them to get together!

This is a stark difference in the direction from the original film that the show is based on. Obviously there will be difference with a bigger budget, better cast, and more time to expand on the subject matter. The original film is kinda dingy. The student seems like a bit of a douche. It’s solely from the teacher’s perspective and you don’t get the buildup of how the relationship came to be. In the show, so far, it’s pretty romanticized and much more sexy.
Old 11-17-20, 07:53 PM

These episodes are too short to do weekly for the rest. They should’ve just dropped them all at once.
Old 01-25-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
^^^ I agree with basically all you’ve said.

This is a confusing watch. Don’t cast two likeable actors who clearly have chemistry. I’m going to be rooting for them to get together!

This is a stark difference in the direction from the original film that the show is based on. Obviously there will be difference with a bigger budget, better cast, and more time to expand on the subject matter. The original film is kinda dingy. The student seems like a bit of a douche. It’s solely from the teacher’s perspective and you don’t get the buildup of how the relationship came to be. In the show, so far, it’s pretty romanticized and much more sexy.
I just finished this and I have to agree it was more romanticized than what I would consider grooming. Even the final scene when Eric show his anger to Claire. Just didn't seem to fit the rest of the episodes. I think only one time she told him not to say anything. This ended up being a teacher falling for a student and and student falling for a teacher. Nothing more. I don't consider this grooming.

Watch Finding Neverland. Whether MJ did what the two boys in the documentary said he did. Now that is a story of grooming true or not.
Old 01-25-21, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
I just finished this and I have to agree it was more romanticized than what I would consider grooming. Even the final scene when Eric show his anger to Claire. Just didn't seem to fit the rest of the episodes. I think only one time she told him not to say anything. This ended up being a teacher falling for a student and and student falling for a teacher. Nothing more. I don't consider this grooming.
Yea, I didn't see it as grooming at all either.
I agree that the responsibility was hers - she should've put at stop to it, no matter what he said or did. She deserves what she got.
But I don't buy the "damage" she did to him based on what we see in the series. He was experienced and seemed to have a casually sexual lifestyle. The only "damage" that seemed to occur was a broken heart - and that could've happened with anyone he felt a romantic connection with, not just his teacher.