TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 11/07/20 (S46E06) -- H: Dave Chappelle, MG: The Foo Fighters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: SNL 11/07/20 (S46E06) -- H: Dave Chappelle, MG: The Foo Fighters

Originally Posted by whotony
Didn’t he do more monologuing after the first commercial?
No, he introduced the next skit, though.
Old 11-09-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
No, he introduced the next skit, though.
That felt like we were watching a new Chappelle Show. I wonder if he wrote that skit?
Old 11-09-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Michael Che had the best line of the night when he said Trump people should not be upset since they got Biden another old white guy and it would be like ordering a Gordita at Taco Bell but got a Chalupa instead and no big deal.
Old 11-10-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

When Chapelle broke character and said "America, look at Pete Davidson's lips", that was hilarious.

Foo Fighters were awesome but the first song was definitely not my cup of tea. I know they have a new album coming next year but I was hoping they'd rock something classic. I've yet to see the second set because the ND / Clemson game ran so long.
Old 11-10-20, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Best of You was the second song and a lot better
Old 11-10-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Nope it was Times Like These. But yeah it was better than the new song.
Old 11-11-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry my bad

This guy is not pleased with SNL this season

Joe Biden won the presidency, but Jim Carrey and "SNL" have lost big so far in 2020.

In October, "Saturday Night Live" returned to Studio 8H at 30 Rockefeller Center in New York ready to bring some normalcy back to a 2020 that has been traumatic and taxing. With a masked audience and political opening sketches, "SNL" and producer Lorne Michaels are trying to bring the funny back to our lives. If only they were succeeding.

So far in its 46th season, which has run for the last six weeks without break, "SNL" has been cathartic but hollow, occasionally funny but rarely hilarious, topical without being relevant and loud without saying much of anything. With a pandemic leaving Americans craving humor and relief, a presidential election to parody and a strong series of hosts, why has the quality of the new season of "SNL" failed so miserably?

The comedian's impression of Biden isn't so much a character as a costume. His Biden wears the aforementioned aviators, makes a lot of finger guns and that's pretty much it. Carrey slips into other characters frequently: A touch of "The Mask" here, a pinch of Clint Eastwood there. Biden has a distinctive voice, but Carrey mostly growls at the camera.

Carrey is a symptom of a larger issue: Michaels and the writers don't seem to trust the cast, considering how many celebrity ringers continually make appearances. Alec Baldwin has been showing up to play President Donald Trump in cold opens for so long that we forget it's not par for the 45-year course for big stars to jump into the fray to portray big names. But after Baldwin came a parade of famous faces as the Democratic primary contenders, including Maya Rudolph, who continued playing Vice President-elect Kamala Harris after she joined Biden's ticket.

The cast members that actually manage to make it into sketches are usually the old standbys: Kate McKinnon and Kenan Thompson remain as prominent as ever, as do Pete Davidson and Beck Bennett (last year's newbies Chole Fineman and Bowen Yang have made it into a decent number of sketches). Audiences would be hard pressed to pick out new cast members in a sketch, let alone name them.

SNL" is at its best when it finds a good cast ready to confront the current moment in American history. In 2020, it just doesn't have that.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...224057336.html
Old 11-11-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I don't disagree. Carrey's Biden impression adds a lot of things that aren't there. Granted, Biden is a pretty "normal" guy without a lot of affectations that make him ripe for parody, but in that case, you parody the lack of affectations. See: Darrell Hammond as a bland Al Gore.

I do love Maya Rudolph's Kamala Harris though. She's absolutely perfect for the part. But yeah, why are Rudolph and Baldwin in so many sketches with an already bloated cast? To justify the airfare to get Rudolph to fly in from LA? I thought Ego Nwodim or Punkie Johnson could have played the Aunt Jemima part last week.

Then again, after a few more cold openings with Baldwin as the defiant Trump, we won't be seeing as many political sketches. Maya Rudolph can probably just expect a 2 or 3 times/season cameo as Harris after the inaugaration.
Old 11-11-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I don't disagree. Carrey's Biden impression adds a lot of things that aren't there. Granted, Biden is a pretty "normal" guy without a lot of affectations that make him ripe for parody, but in that case, you parody the lack of affectations. See: Darrell Hammond as a bland Al Gore.

I do love Maya Rudolph's Kamala Harris though. She's absolutely perfect for the part. But yeah, why are Rudolph and Baldwin in so many sketches with an already bloated cast? To justify the airfare to get Rudolph to fly in from LA? I thought Ego Nwodim or Punkie Johnson could have played the Aunt Jemima part last week.

Then again, after a few more cold openings with Baldwin as the defiant Trump, we won't be seeing as many political sketches. Maya Rudolph can probably just expect a 2 or 3 times/season cameo as Harris after the inaugaration.
I believe Carrey's Biden has an intended political agenda.

Conventional wisdom holds that Hammond's Gore and Ferrell's Bush in 2000 helped solidify the perception that Gore was a guy you wouldn't want to ride with on an elevator, and that Bush would be a great road trip companion.
Further, Lorne feels like he has to do penance for having Trump host in 2016.

So the two things Carrey CANNOT lean into with his Biden impression are presenting Biden as "Sleepy Joe" or old and confused. The result includes some Mask (energetic) and Eastwood (tough). All calculated to present an impression of Biden that is a complete 180 from how the GOP wants Biden to be perceived by voters.
Old 11-11-20, 08:31 PM

That’s pretty deep analysis. Not sure it’s right but I guess it could be. Whatever the real reason, Carrey as Biden has been a total flop and nobody likes it. So weird when they had TWO perfectly good Biden’s last year in Woody Harrelson and Jason Sudakis.
Old 11-11-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
That’s pretty deep analysis. Not sure it’s right but I guess it could be. Whatever the real reason, Carrey as Biden has been a total flop and nobody likes it. So weird when they had TWO perfectly good Biden’s last year in Woody Harrelson and Jason Sudakis.
Carrey reached out to Lorne and asked for the gig. There's no way Lorne didn't ask Carrey what he had in mind.
Usually comic impersonations of politicians are negative. Carrey did not present a Joe Biden that had any negative personality traits, just comical quirks.
People don't like what Carrey did because they want to see the show go after Biden and laugh at him. SNL had no interest in that during the election.
It's logical.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (11-12-20)
Old 11-11-20, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
People don't like what Carrey did because they want to see the show go after Biden and laugh at him. SNL had no interest in that during the election.
It's logical.
Neither Harrelson or Sudakis mocked Biden in a harmful way. That wasn’t it at all. It was just “star power” that landed Carrey the gig. But it never worked.
Old 11-11-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

They do dip into the "sleepy Joe" part a little and they probably go after him a bit more when/if this thing is ever settled.

I will say this... one of the most popular SNL presidential impressions was Dana Carvey's Bush, and he had very very little in common with the actual President. I also think Carrey's Biden was used to great effect on this past episode, that may be my favorite of the ones he's done.

I'll also say that I thought it was odd that they used Rudolph so much in the last few weeks in regular sketches. I wonder if some of it isn't writer's block/the difficulty of being "funny" in the middle of the pandemic. I think Melissa Villasenor for example has been going through some stuff (and honestly while I wanted her to make more appearances, that weekend update bit she did the other week was... not good). All speculation, though.
JeffTheAlpaca (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I will say this... one of the most popular SNL presidential impressions was Dana Carvey's Bush, and he had very very little in common with the actual President
Ever see the early early years, with Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford? They didn't even make any effort for him to look like Ford. No baldcap/grey hair or anything. They just said he was Ford, then Chevy proceeded to fall all over the place. That was the whole bit.
Old 11-12-20, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yeah, I haven't been feeling Jim Carrey's Biden, either. Feels too much like Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey. Fire Marshall Bill in old age make-up and not burn make-up.

I think Jason Sudeikis was the gold standard Joe Biden. It reminded me of Dana Carvey's George Bush; he took a pretty bland guy and amped up his (mild) eccentricity and gaffe-prone personality without being overly cruel.
Doc Moonlight (11-15-20)
Old 11-12-20, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Nice!
Old 11-12-20, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope it was Times Like These. But yeah it was better than the new song.
Also nice! lol
Old 11-12-20, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever see the early early years, with Chevy Chase as Gerald Ford? They didn't even make any effort for him to look like Ford. No baldcap/grey hair or anything. They just said he was Ford, then Chevy proceeded to fall all over the place. That was the whole bit.
Because Trump is so widely hated and ridiculed, I think there is this unwritten rule that we can't make any fun of the new guy (even though everyone can be poked at) because he's way better than the last POS. Maybe once Biden gets into office for a few months, SNL will pull off the training wheels? They need to because just making Biden quirky and witty isn't funny at all.
Old 11-12-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Yeah, presidents were handled a lot differently back then, no attempt was made to make the cast members look like the president, and the bits were often distilled to one thing, e.g. Chase aping Ford's clumsiness, and that was the whole bit. Jim Carrey's portrayal of Biden is worlds away from Chase's Ford, Dan Aykroyd's Jimmy Carter, etc.

Old 11-12-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither Harrelson or Sudakis mocked Biden in a harmful way. That wasn’t it at all. It was just “star power” that landed Carrey the gig. But it never worked.
In those Democratic Debate sketches from last season, Biden was just one character among maybe TEN other actors in the sketch. The Biden impression only had to be good for a few lines, it never had to work in a sketch for 10 minutes like Carrey has been doing.

And obviously Carrey got the gig because of his star power, but I also 100% guarantee you that if he had insisted that he be allowed to make Biden look like a bad choice for POTUS, he never would have gotten on SNL.
Old 11-12-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, presidents were handled a lot differently back then, no attempt was made to make the cast members look like the president, and the bits were often distilled to one thing, e.g. Chase aping Ford's clumsiness, and that was the whole bit. Jim Carrey's portrayal of Biden is worlds away from Chase's Ford, Dan Aykroyd's Jimmy Carter, etc.
Except for Ackroyd not shaving his mustache, he was made up to look like Carter and Nixon when he played them.

Chevy's non-impression of Ford is a complex comic performance combining a post-modern take on what it means for an actor to play a character (the premise is that he is Ford, but he is always himself) and the simplest form of visual comedy (pratfalls).
Old 11-15-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sucks

He hit the jackpot when they hooked up though never married

2020 has claimed another celebrity couple who we thought would never split: Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis.

The “Booksmart” director and “Saturday Night Live” alum have ended their engagement after nine years together, multiple outlets confirmed, with the two reportedly going their separate ways at the beginning of the year.

“It’s been amicable and they’ve transitioned into a great co-parenting routine,” an unnamed source told People. “The children are the priority and the heart of the family’s relationship.”

Wilde and Sudeikis share two children together: son Otis, 6, and daughter Daisy, 4.

A second source told Entertainment Tonight that the former couple moved out of their Brooklyn, New York, apartment, which they shared together for years, sometime in 2019 and now both reside in Los Angeles.

Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis are calling it quits after nine years together. (Photo: Ethan Miller via Getty Images)They were last seen in public together in September, enjoying a beach day in Malibu, California, splashing among the waves.

The day after the split was announced, Wilde shared a photo of her children on Instagram Stories during a family outing on Sunday.

“My everythings,” she wrote alongside the pic of the two kids leaning against a fence while wearing face coverings.
(Photo: Instagram)Shortly after meeting at an “SNL” afterparty in 2011, the two started dating, with Wilde later saying that she fell “blissfully, hopelessly, wildly in love” with Sudeikis.

“I actually came off looking a little cooler than I really am because I had heard through the grapevine, through mutual friends who weren’t exactly her best girlfriends, who would report back, ‘Oh you know, I think she’s dating someone,’” Sudeikis said in 2017 of their courtship. “So I didn’t make any moves. I was just very, very busy with other things. And next thing you know, I stopped being busy, she stopped dating someone, and then it was off to the races.”

As per Wilde’s recollection of events, he came up to her at the party with the pickup line: “Whatever you are looking for, you don’t need it.”

“He played it really cool,” she recalled on The Howard Stern Show in 2016, revealing Sudeikis didn’t text for a month after he got her number. “I was on the hook.”
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/olivi...170642190.html
Old 11-25-20, 04:04 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Saturday Night Live is getting ready to wind down after a busy and unusual year and has set Jason Bateman, Timothée Chalamet and Kristen Wiig as its final three hosts of the year.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Morgan Wallen and Dua Lipa are set as the musical guests for the episodes, which will air December 5, 12 and 19, the show said Wednesday.
Old 11-25-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes we get the usual 3 mandatory SNL shows in Dec though wonder if they will come back in late Jan instead of mid Jan to make up for the weeks they lost for vacation with the 5 consecutive shows.
Old 11-26-20, 07:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Saturday Night Live is getting ready to wind down after a busy and unusual year and has set Jason Bateman, Timothée Chalamet and Kristen Wiig as its final three hosts of the year.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Morgan Wallen and Dua Lipa are set as the musical guests for the episodes, which will air December 5, 12 and 19, the show said Wednesday.
The official SNL Twitter has them paired differently:
  • SNL 12/05/20 (S46E07) -- H: Jason Bateman, MG: Morgan Wallen
  • SNL 12/12/20 (S46E08) -- H: Timothée Chalamet, MG: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
  • SNL 12/19/20 (S46E09) -- H: Kristen Wiig, MG: Dua Lipa

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.