DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   In Treatment (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- S: Uzo Aduba -- premieres 5/23/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651625-treatment-hbo-season-4-thread-s-uzo-aduba-premieres-5-23-21-a.html)

DJariya 10-27-20 02:01 PM

In Treatment (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- S: Uzo Aduba -- premieres 5/23/21

https://deadline.com/2020/10/in-trea...bo-1234604221/

HBO has made an appointment for more In Treatment. The network on Tuesday said it has ordered a fourth season of the Emmy-winning drama, which ended three-season run in 2010. Uzo Aduba has been set to topline the reimagined series, which will be a half-hour. It is now scheduled to go into production this fall under COVID-19 guidelines, with a 2021 debut planned to air on HBO and stream on HBO Max.

Aduba, who just won her third Emmy this year her supporting role in FX’s Mrs. America, will take on the lead role of therapist Dr. Brooke Lawrence, who in the new season will see a diverse trio of patients in session as she wrestles with her own issues. No other cast has been announced yet.

Stephen Levinson, Mark Wahlberg, Hagai Levi, Jennifer Schuur, Joshua Allen and Melissa Bernstein will be executive producers of the new season, with Joanne Toll and Noa Tishby co-executive producers. The HBO Entertainment production is produced in association with Leverage, Closest to the Hole Productions and Sheleg.

The original HBO series, created by Rodrigo Garcia and running 2008-2010, starred Gabriel Byrne as therapist Dr. Paul Weston, who juggled his own patients and sessions with his own therapist (played by Dianne Wiest). Byrne and Wiest were both nominated for Emmys twice for the show’s first two seasons, with Wiest winning in 2008 for Season 1. Byrne won the Golden Globe in 2009.

The original series also won a Peabody and an AFI Award.

Aduba’s, whose other Emmys came for playing Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren in Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black, is repped by UTA, Management 360, UTA and Schreck Rose.

Boondock Saint 10-27-20 02:58 PM

re: In Treatment (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- S: Uzo Aduba -- premieres 5/23/21

Loved the first 3 seasons. Wish Gabriel Byrne was coming back, he was great. But I'll check this out.

Coral 10-27-20 09:32 PM

I liked the original, so I'll give this a shot. Byrne was great - it's too bad he's not back. A lot of quality acting in the series.

windom 04-12-21 12:56 PM

jpcamb 04-12-21 02:38 PM

I never finished the original series as there were just so many episodes. I really loved the first season but I think I made it about halfway thru the second season. I'll give this a try as I liked Aduba in Orange and she looks to be bringing a lot of empathy to the part.

Gizmo 04-12-21 02:43 PM

Is that Crazy Eyes from OITNB?

I never saw the original, but isn’t this a daily show?

TomOpus 04-13-21 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13919351)

From the OP.

Aduba’s, whose other Emmys came for playing Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren in Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black, is repped by UTA, Management 360, UTA and Schreck Rose.

Runaway 04-13-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13919351)

I never saw the original, but isn’t this a daily show?

The startet the first season with one episode per day, but changed the model in season two. Then they released two episodes on mondays (?) and three episodes the next day. In season 3 they kept the 2-day-schedule but reduced it to 4 episodes a week.

I sucked it all up. It was a great show and I would have liked to see Gabriel Byrne als therapist again, but Uzo Aduba is a great actress, so I'm excited.
Mia Wasikowska in season 1 gave a phenomenal performance and Dane DeHaan later hat a great run a patient, too. I didn't like Dianne Wiest as Byrne's therapist though, mainly because she looks and sound like Gilbert Godfrey.

dex14 05-23-21 05:11 PM

Re: In Treatment (HBO) -- Season 4 Thread -- S: Uzo Aduba -- premieres 5/23/21

This starts tonight. It will air two episodes on Sundays and two on Mondays for 6 weeks / 24 episodes.

The Emmy(R)-winning drama series IN TREATMENT will return for its fourth season SUNDAY, MAY 23 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT). Emmy(R) winner Uzo Aduba ("Mrs. America," "Orange is the New Black") will play the lead role of the therapist at the center of the season, as the observant, empathetic Dr. Brooke Taylor. The 24-episode season will air on HBO with two back-to-back, half-hour episodes each Sunday and Monday night. The series will also be available to stream on HBO Max. The reimagining of the series is set in present-day Los Angeles and brings a diverse trio of patients in session with Brooke to help navigate a variety of modern concerns. Issues such as the global pandemic and recent major social and cultural shifts are a backdrop to the work Brooke will undertake - all while she deals with complications in her own personal life. IN TREATMENT also stars Anthony Ramos ("In the Heights") as Eladio, who works as a home health aide for a wealthy family's adult son; Liza Colón-Zayas ("David Makes Man") as Rita, Brooke's longtime confidante and friend who supports Brooke as she contends with her own demons after a life-altering loss; John Benjamin Hickey ("Jessica Jones") as Colin, a charming millionaire beach bum turned white-collar criminal reckoning with all the ways his life has changed following his recent release from prison; Quintessa Swindell ("Euphoria") as Laila, Brooke's distrustful, teenage client, struggling to carve out her own identity separate from her family's overbearing expectations; and Joel Kinnaman ("For All Mankind") as Adam, Brooke's long-time on-again, off-again boyfriend who has resurfaced to create further complexity for her. IN TREATMENT originally debuted on HBO in 2008, starring Gabriel Byrne and Dianne Wiest. The Emmy(R)-winning series also garnered Peabody and AFI Awards wins.

Giantrobo 05-24-21 02:28 PM

"Hacks" is doing the same thing with releasing 2eps at a time. I guess this is way to satisfy the Binge crowd and the Weekly ep crowd?

dex14 05-24-21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13937609)
"Hacks" is doing the same thing with releasing 2eps at a time. I guess this is way to satisfy the Binge crowd and the Weekly ep crowd?

Na. That’s how previous seasons of In Treatment aired as well. It’s supposed to be a week in the therapist’s life. Instead of having one episode, 5 days a week, like in the first season, they changed to airing across two days.

But in regards to HBO Max… they’ve been doing weekly batches of episodes with their shows since the launch. I think it does help satisfy both crowds like you mention.

jpcamb 05-25-21 08:43 AM

I watched the first episode last night and it was decent. Some good nods to the last three seasons having the 'wave box' and a picture of her with Gabriel Bryne. I also noticed his character's name in the email so it feels something like a continuation instead of a reboot but I don't think it's as good as the first few seasons. I will give it a go and keep up with it a bit more to see how things play out more before I make any final decisions on the show but so far its worth a watch but does not seem like a 'must watch' She has a good energy so far...

Giantrobo 06-07-21 04:00 PM

I'm all caught up. I'm enjoying this. I'm not a fan of the eps with the young caretaker guy; but it seems her issues are gonna pop up where he's concerned so those sessions may get really intense. I like the eps with the young girl and Brooke's own eps best. The asshole guy's sessions are good too. There is an official podcast for this and it's interesting.

Gizmo 06-14-21 08:37 PM

HBO MAX just dropped the rest of this week AND the next 2 weeks of episodes. Oh shit.

Boondock Saint 06-14-21 11:14 PM

Not a great sign, although I've been enjoying this. Was hoping Paul would be her therapist if there was a Season 2 since they've hinted at them knowing each other.

jpcamb 06-15-21 09:47 AM

I found an article from June 4th saying they were planning to drop episodes early for the rest of the season on MAX so it may not be as damning as it seems but ratings are all over the place for this as far as what is published so far.

I like the reboot but she is nowhere near as good as Paul was, I have not seen this weekend's past shows yet but I wonder if the rest of the season will be her falling apart. At this point, I can take it or leave it as none of the new clients have the same pull as let's say, Sofie or Laura.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/i...-four-ratings/

Giantrobo 06-15-21 05:43 PM

I think Brooke is good at what she does. But I will say her own ongoing personal issues(everyone has them including Paul), the recent trauma of her Father's death, the way she is dealing/not dealing with those issues, and the lack of experience in comparison to her mentor Paul who we've seen for 3 years is what makes it seem as if she's "not as good". I also believe her being a Black Woman makes it harder for some to connect too her as easily as Paul.

hdtv00 06-26-21 08:26 PM

Yep 100%. Don't care about Brooke or feel for her at all. Hated it.

windom 02-16-22 08:45 PM

Canceled...until the next pandemic at least.
https://tvline.com/2022/02/16/in-tre...hbo-uzo-aduba/

Boondock Saint 02-17-22 01:14 AM

Unfortunate but not unexpected.

jpcamb 02-17-22 11:33 AM

Not sure I mind this not coming back. The first few seasons with GB were amazing, this reboot was a hot mess, and was hard to care about it.

Giantrobo 02-17-22 12:08 PM

That's sucks. I enjoyed it a lot.