Reload this Page >

The Masked Singer (FOX) Season 4 Thread - Premiere 9/23/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-17-20, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 104 Likes on 52 Posts

Season 4, Episode 1 "The Season Premiere - The Masks Return" - September 23, 2020
Group A:
Spoiler:
Dragon, Giraffe, Popcorn, Snow Owls (a duo), Sun

Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Dragon - Busta Rhymes

Season 4, Episode 2 "The Group B Premiere - Six More Masks" - September 30, 2020
Group B:
Spoiler:
Baby Alien, Crocodile, Gremlin, Seahorse, Serpent, Whatchamacallit

Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Gremlin - Mickey Rourke (self unmasked / withdrew)

Season 4, Episode 3 "The Group A Playoffs - Famous Masked Words" - October 7, 2020
Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Giraffe - Brian Austin Green

Season 4, Episode 4 "The Group B Playoffs - Cloudy with a Chance of Clues" - October 14, 2020
Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Baby Alien - Mark Sanchez

Group C:
Spoiler:
Broccoli, Jellyfish, Lips, Mushroom, Squiggly Monster

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 10-17-20 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 10:43 AM

Received 104 Likes on 52 Posts
Re: The Masked Singer (FOX) Season 4 Thread - Premiere 9/23/20

Some new stuff this year, robotic costumes, a puppet, and a duo. And the judges guessed a "first impression" after the first performance. The guesses are then locked away and revealed after each elimination and they get a point if they get one right. The judge with the most correct answers wins the Golden Ear
First Impressions (includes the eliminated mask spoiler)
Spoiler:
Ep 1 Robin and Nicole correctly named rapper Busta Rhymes as Dragon (Robin & Nicole - 1)
Ep 2 Jenny McCarthy correctly guessed actor Mickey Rourke as Gremlin (Ken - 0, everyone else 1)
Ep 3 nobody got Brian Austin Green (Ken - 0, everyone else 1)

After the first performance, I think The Sun might be LeAnn Rimes. And I liked the Jessica Simpson guess for Seahorse, but the Daisy Dukes might be a red herring clue. They both have powerful voices and should go far.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 10-17-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson View Post
After the first performance, I think The Sun might be LeAnn Rimes. And I liked the Jessica Simpson guess for Seahorse, but the Daisy Dukes might be a red herring clue. They both have powerful voices and should go far.
Im almost convinced that the Snow Owls are Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. I think the Seahorse might be Ke$ha.

This is shaping up to be a good season.
Old 10-17-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 522 Likes on 381 Posts

I don't think Seahorse sounds like Jessica Simpson. Not really a fan of hers, so I'm no expert, but I just don't hear it. Ke$ha, maybe. I'm not a pop fan at all, so I'm no expert. Last season, I did recognize Brett Michaels as the Banana almost immediately, though.

Actually, I'm sort of surprised they've gone three seasons without Jessica's sister Ashlee being under a mask.

Not sure who the owls could be. Garth/Trisha, Clint/Lisa, Donnie/Marie? I don't know. I don't really get country vibes off of the male owl, though. (Not a country fan, either.)

Old 10-17-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Last season, I did recognize Brett Michaels as the Banana almost immediately, though.
I did that with Chris Daughtry in Season 2.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Not sure who the owls could be. Garth/Trisha, Clint/Lisa, Donnie/Marie? I don't know. I don't really get country vibes off of the male owl, though. (Not a country fan, either.)
Garth can mask his voice pretty well. He did have his Chris Gaines phase.
Old 10-17-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the owls might be two of the Brady kids. Not sure if it's the oldest or the middle though.
Old 11-19-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Two eliminations last night and I had no idea who either one of them was. Guess I'm out of touch.
Old 11-19-20, 01:16 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Two eliminations last night and I had no idea who either one of them was. Guess I'm out of touch.
I never know the Sports figures unless they've crossed over into Entertainment. The same with a lot of Music figures (because I'm old).The doctor I had heard of.
Old 11-19-20, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 522 Likes on 381 Posts

The concept of "celebrity" is kind of weird on this show.

I've never heard of about one fourth of them, and another fourth of them I would probably only recognize them by name, and have no idea why they were famous. B-list athletes, talk show hosts, youtube personalities, reality stars, yadda yadda yadda...

I wonder if they would ever use someone like Corey Taylor (Slipknot's singer, for those who don't know), or if he wouldn't qualify as "celebrity" to the tv audience.
Old 11-20-20, 06:18 AM

Never heard of Corey Taylor, have heard the name Slipknot but know absolutely nothing about them.
This is an American Reality Show and the celebrities aren't going to be much bigger than what you get on Dancing With The Stars or Celebrity Big Brother. That's never going to change. Mickey Rourke was actually a pretty big "get" (which is sad) and he only did it for one appearance.
Old 11-20-20, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

The doctor was on this show last season during the post show. That's the only place I know him from. They kept having him on to sing via Zoom and introducing him as Dr. Elvis, as if we were supposed to know who that was.

I've heard of Lonzo Ball only because I listen to sports talk radio and the Ball family are popular topics. They're like the Kardashians of basketball, lol. I had never actually seen him before and I don't follow the NBA.
Old 11-20-20, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

This is the least engaging season, by far, IMO. The singers are all playing it safe - they're all very talented and nobody, aside from Lonzo, was singing anything fun. I cannot stand the fake audience giving "heart symbols" to singers either.
And I must be really old because I had no idea who that doctor was, nor do I know half the guesses the judges make. I'm not up on Youtube culture as a source of mainstream entertainment... so if that is the criteria, this might be my last season.
Old 11-20-20, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I very much enjoyed Serpent's 1st performance of the season (I'm Gonna Be). It's a fun song and his fresh take on it was outstanding. It was all downhill from there.
Old 11-21-20, 12:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the "Dr. Elvis" reveal was out of left field for me - had NEVER heard of him. I'm normally aware of popular viral videos/memes/etc. But hadn't heard of this guy.

Was nice to see Lonzo doing something fun - up to this point, he father has been the personality you always see, and Lonzo comes off as just, meh... but he was engaging and seemed to be having a really good time.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 11-21-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess none of you watched "After the Mask" which aired after the last 5 or 6 episodes last season, because that's where I know him from. He was on several of those.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 11-21-20 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-21-20, 06:51 AM

Since there's no actual audience, and it's not "Live", I'm wondering how the voting works....
Old 11-21-20, 07:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I guess none of you watched "After the Mask" which aired after the last 5 or 6 episodes last season, because that's where I know him from. He was on several of those.
Yeah i caught that when they said it on the show, too. I did not watch those (i'm typically not one for aftershows).

By far the weirdest one this season for me is Mark Sanchez. I am definitely sports fan, but he never even remotely crossed into my mind. They should have done a "butt fumble" clue.
Old 11-21-20, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I typically wouldn't watch something like that either, but I watch with his show with my daughter, and my DVR automatically picked up the after show as if it was an extension of the broadcast, so we watched it.