DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Masked Singer (FOX) — Season 4 and beyond Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/651563-masked-singer-fox-%97-season-4-beyond-thread.html)

IDrinkMolson 10-17-20 10:39 AM

The Masked Singer (FOX) — Season 4 and beyond Thread

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...27a838a3e4.jpg

Season 4, Episode 1 "The Season Premiere - The Masks Return" - September 23, 2020
Group A:
Spoiler:
Dragon, Giraffe, Popcorn, Snow Owls (a duo), Sun

Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Dragon - Busta Rhymes

Season 4, Episode 2 "The Group B Premiere - Six More Masks" - September 30, 2020
Group B:
Spoiler:
Baby Alien, Crocodile, Gremlin, Seahorse, Serpent, Whatchamacallit

Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Gremlin - Mickey Rourke (self unmasked / withdrew)

Season 4, Episode 3 "The Group A Playoffs - Famous Masked Words" - October 7, 2020
Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Giraffe - Brian Austin Green

Season 4, Episode 4 "The Group B Playoffs - Cloudy with a Chance of Clues" - October 14, 2020
Eliminated:
Spoiler:
Baby Alien - Mark Sanchez

Group C:
Spoiler:
Broccoli, Jellyfish, Lips, Mushroom, Squiggly Monster

IDrinkMolson 10-17-20 10:43 AM

re: The Masked Singer (FOX) — Season 4 and beyond Thread

Some new stuff this year, robotic costumes, a puppet, and a duo. And the judges guessed a "first impression" after the first performance. The guesses are then locked away and revealed after each elimination and they get a point if they get one right. The judge with the most correct answers wins the Golden Ear
First Impressions (includes the eliminated mask spoiler)
Spoiler:
Ep 1 Robin and Nicole correctly named rapper Busta Rhymes as Dragon (Robin & Nicole - 1)
Ep 2 Jenny McCarthy correctly guessed actor Mickey Rourke as Gremlin (Ken - 0, everyone else 1)
Ep 3 nobody got Brian Austin Green (Ken - 0, everyone else 1)

After the first performance, I think The Sun might be LeAnn Rimes. And I liked the Jessica Simpson guess for Seahorse, but the Daisy Dukes might be a red herring clue. They both have powerful voices and should go far.

Goldberg74 10-17-20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13825314)
After the first performance, I think The Sun might be LeAnn Rimes. And I liked the Jessica Simpson guess for Seahorse, but the Daisy Dukes might be a red herring clue. They both have powerful voices and should go far.

I’m almost convinced that the Snow Owls are Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood. I think the Seahorse might be Ke$ha.

This is shaping up to be a good season.

Josh-da-man 10-17-20 12:26 PM

I don't think Seahorse sounds like Jessica Simpson. Not really a fan of hers, so I'm no expert, but I just don't hear it. Ke$ha, maybe. I'm not a pop fan at all, so I'm no expert. Last season, I did recognize Brett Michaels as the Banana almost immediately, though.

Actually, I'm sort of surprised they've gone three seasons without Jessica's sister Ashlee being under a mask. :lol:

Not sure who the owls could be. Garth/Trisha, Clint/Lisa, Donnie/Marie? I don't know. I don't really get country vibes off of the male owl, though. (Not a country fan, either.)

Goldberg74 10-17-20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13825352)
Last season, I did recognize Brett Michaels as the Banana almost immediately, though.

I did that with Chris Daughtry in Season 2.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13825352)
Not sure who the owls could be. Garth/Trisha, Clint/Lisa, Donnie/Marie? I don't know. I don't really get country vibes off of the male owl, though. (Not a country fan, either.)

Garth can mask his voice pretty well. He did have his Chris Gaines phase. ;)

JTH182 10-17-20 07:52 PM

I think the owls might be two of the Brady kids. Not sure if it's the oldest or the middle though.

windom 11-19-20 12:59 PM

Two eliminations last night and I had no idea who either one of them was. Guess I'm out of touch.

DWilson 11-19-20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13845619)
Two eliminations last night and I had no idea who either one of them was. Guess I'm out of touch.

I never know the Sports figures unless they've crossed over into Entertainment. The same with a lot of Music figures (because I'm old).The doctor I had heard of.

Josh-da-man 11-19-20 04:21 PM

The concept of "celebrity" is kind of weird on this show.

I've never heard of about one fourth of them, and another fourth of them I would probably only recognize them by name, and have no idea why they were famous. B-list athletes, talk show hosts, youtube personalities, reality stars, yadda yadda yadda...

I wonder if they would ever use someone like Corey Taylor (Slipknot's singer, for those who don't know), or if he wouldn't qualify as "celebrity" to the tv audience.

DWilson 11-20-20 06:18 AM

Never heard of Corey Taylor, have heard the name Slipknot but know absolutely nothing about them.
This is an American Reality Show and the celebrities aren't going to be much bigger than what you get on Dancing With The Stars or Celebrity Big Brother. That's never going to change. Mickey Rourke was actually a pretty big "get" (which is sad) and he only did it for one appearance.

Obi-Wanma 11-20-20 06:29 AM

The doctor was on this show last season during the post show. That's the only place I know him from. They kept having him on to sing via Zoom and introducing him as Dr. Elvis, as if we were supposed to know who that was.

I've heard of Lonzo Ball only because I listen to sports talk radio and the Ball family are popular topics. They're like the Kardashians of basketball, lol. I had never actually seen him before and I don't follow the NBA.

Rob V 11-20-20 08:19 AM

This is the least engaging season, by far, IMO. The singers are all playing it safe - they're all very talented and nobody, aside from Lonzo, was singing anything fun. I cannot stand the fake audience giving "heart symbols" to singers either.
And I must be really old because I had no idea who that doctor was, nor do I know half the guesses the judges make. I'm not up on Youtube culture as a source of mainstream entertainment... so if that is the criteria, this might be my last season.

Obi-Wanma 11-20-20 08:26 AM

I very much enjoyed Serpent's 1st performance of the season (I'm Gonna Be). It's a fun song and his fresh take on it was outstanding. It was all downhill from there.

Big Boy Laroux 11-21-20 12:29 AM

Yeah, the "Dr. Elvis" reveal was out of left field for me - had NEVER heard of him. I'm normally aware of popular viral videos/memes/etc. But hadn't heard of this guy.

Was nice to see Lonzo doing something fun - up to this point, he father has been the personality you always see, and Lonzo comes off as just, meh... but he was engaging and seemed to be having a really good time.

Obi-Wanma 11-21-20 05:35 AM

I guess none of you watched "After the Mask" which aired after the last 5 or 6 episodes last season, because that's where I know him from. He was on several of those.

DWilson 11-21-20 06:51 AM

Since there's no actual audience, and it's not "Live", I'm wondering how the voting works....

Big Boy Laroux 11-21-20 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13846732)
I guess none of you watched "After the Mask" which aired after the last 5 or 6 episodes last season, because that's where I know him from. He was on several of those.

Yeah i caught that when they said it on the show, too. I did not watch those (i'm typically not one for aftershows).

By far the weirdest one this season for me is Mark Sanchez. I am definitely sports fan, but he never even remotely crossed into my mind. They should have done a "butt fumble" clue.

Obi-Wanma 11-21-20 08:07 AM

Yeah, I typically wouldn't watch something like that either, but I watch with his show with my daughter, and my DVR automatically picked up the after show as if it was an extension of the broadcast, so we watched it.

JZ1276 12-01-21 01:28 AM

I don't know why I watch this, but I do. Does anyone else think this might be scripted? Have a few reasons for asking. Obviously, no A list celebs will ever be on this show, but the panelists constantly guess the singers are actors like DiCaprio, Bradley Cooper, Will Smith, etc. Also, half of their guesses and the singers themselves are athletes and reality show people and I don't think the panelists, especially McCarthy or Scherzinger would or could know of so many of them. I've also been waiting for a panelist to guess that one of the singers is someone that has died; but hasn't happened and probably won't.

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13846099)
I cannot stand the fake audience giving "heart symbols" to singers either.

I HATE that shit, and they do it on this show a lot...and also use the term "game changer", which I also hate.

Josh-da-man 12-01-21 04:38 AM

Yeah, I think it's probably... if not scripted... then I'll just say "planned."

I remember an earlier season, I'd recorded it and had it on the background -- I wasn't watching, but I was listening, and I knew immediately that the Banana was Bret Michaels. I grew up in the 80s, and he has a really distinctive voice.

Then a week or two later Sharon Osbourne was a guest judge and also recognized him, and he was voted out that episode.

It got me thinking that the votes must be rigged once they pin a singer, what are they going to do, say the Banana is Bret Michaels for six weeks while the audience keeps voting him back?

I also think this filmed pretty far in advance, so if a celebrity died while it was being produced, I think they'd probably edit out that guess for broadcast.

Goldberg74 12-01-21 05:25 AM

I still watch it on DVR, but it’s starting to lose its savor. I like the costumes more than anything.

I couldn't care less if it’s scripted/planned, it’s just fun to guess… but Dr. Ken’s “I know exactly who this is” schtick got old quick.

windom 12-01-21 09:30 AM

I think it was the last double elimination where I didn't know either of the unmasked celebs.

I did know that the Pepper was Natasha Bedingfield just from her voice.

I also knew the Heart immediately based on her voice and some of the clues. It's
Spoiler:
Jewel. Nicole did guess Jewel correctly two episodes ago, but then last time she guessed someone completely different. So maybe once they guess correctly, they're told to guess someone different else after that.

Rob V 12-01-21 03:04 PM

I gave up on this show... my family is burnt out on how often it's on.

Deftones 12-01-21 03:28 PM

My wife and I still like it, mostly just trying to guess who they are. All the ridiculous A list guesses are stupid, though. There has been some talent in the show, but nothing close to A list.

chowderhead 12-01-21 11:58 PM

One of these days it will be Jamie Fox under the mask and they probably will avoid guessing him. Most of the singers are legit as I actually know who most of them are.