Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/fre...ck-1234762356/

Will Smith made the announcement here:

Peacock has picked up two seasons of the planned drama series reboot of the classic sitcom “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”

Will Smith made the announcement Tuesday on YouTube, which can be viewed below. The series, titled “Bel-Air,” will be based on Morgan Cooper’s viral video that reimagined the NBC comedy series as a drama. The trailer, which Cooper posted online last year, has racked up over five million views on YouTube alone.

Cooper is attached to co-write and direct the project and will also serve as a co-executive producer. Chris Collins will serve as showrunner and executive producer in addition to co-writing the script with Cooper. Smith will executive produce via Westbrook Studios along with Quincy Jones, Benny Medina, and original series creators Andy and Susan Borowitz. Miguel Melendez and Westbrook Studios’ Terence Carter will also executive produce. Westbrook Studios and Universal Television will produce. UTV was the studio behind the original show as well.

Set in modern-day America, “Bel-Air” is a serialized one-hour dramatic reimagining of the 90’s sitcom that leans into the original premise: Will’s complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. The series was first announced as being in development last month.

This is not the first classic property that Peacock has offered a new twist on for fans. The streamer is currently developing a reboot of “Battlestar Galactica” and “Queer as Folk,” while a sequel series to “Saved by the Bell” is also set at the streamer. In addition, Variety exclusively reported that a reboot of “Clueless” told from Dionne’s perspective is in the works at Peacock.

News of the series order comes just over a week after it was announced that HBO Max is set to air an unscripted “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” reunion special. That special will feature Smith and series regulars Tatyana Ali, Karyn Parsons, Joseph Marcell, Daphne Maxwell Reid, and Alfonso Ribeiro, as will DJ Jazzy Jeff. It is set to tape on Sept. 10 and is slated to debut on HBO Max around Thanksgiving. HBO Max is the exclusive streaming home of the entire run of the original show.
Old 09-08-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

Here's the concept trailer that this was based on.

Old 09-08-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

Strange when hearing it’s based off of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but the concept trailer looks good. The premise of Will’s character before getting to Bel-Air has potential to be an interesting story. Still may be jarring to get used to though.
Old 09-08-20, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm doing a watch-through of The Fresh Prince on HBO Max and loving the nostalgia. I'm down for this too.
Old 09-08-20, 09:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

So in this one will Uncle Phil steal the car and pick up Will at the airport?
Old 09-08-20, 10:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So I’m guessing this is HBO Max’s thing? Just reunions and reboots? I’m glad I’m not paying for it, I haven’t watched anything besides Bugs Bunny. Although I’ll have to hit Raised by Wolves, but that’s it for now.
Old 09-08-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
So I’m guessing this is HBO Max’s thing? Just reunions and reboots? I’m glad I’m not paying for it, I haven’t watched anything besides Bugs Bunny. Although I’ll have to hit Raised by Wolves, but that’s it for now.
This was greenlit by Peacock, not HBO Max.
Old 09-09-20, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Based on the concept trailer, this could actually be good although listening to the actors in a serious show use the original character names seems strange and makes it sound like a parody. I think those names are just too engrained in the sitcom.

And I know the theme song lyrics talk about hitting the guy with a basketball on accident but wasn’t the real reason Will went to Bel-Air in the show just so he could have access to a better education*?

*I know one episode later isn’t he series acknowledges the bully hit with a basketball but I think that was more a slight story change as a wink to the audience.
Old 09-09-20, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Does the concept trailer have anything to do with this at all? Looks like a fan made "what if" genre swap thing.

It's well made though and definitely "proof of concept."
Old 09-09-20, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't Chris Redd do this already:

Old 09-09-20, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Does the concept trailer have anything to do with this at all? Looks like a fan made "what if" genre swap thing.

It's well made though and definitely "proof of concept."
The guy who wrote and directed the concept trailer is the Executive Producer and Writer for this series. It's in the 1st post and he appears in the video with Will making the announcement that I posted.
Old 08-31-21, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Newcomer Jabari Banks chosen to play "Will"

Last I read this won't air until sometime in 2022.
Old 08-31-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So is going to be like the Kevin Can Fuck Himself "real life" parts?
Old 09-01-21, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

It’s too bad this year’s convention got canceled due to COVID. I would have loved hearing others’ thoughts on the new series.
Old 11-23-21, 10:56 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 11-23-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Okay, that was...odd. I never watched the show from beginning to end, but I have probably seen at least 20-25% of the episodes that aired over the course of the past 10 years through re-reruns on tv/basic cable and am still curious about this reboot/reimagining of the show.
Old 11-23-21, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was hoping to hear Smith recite the line, “…yo homie smell you later.” in a serious tone.

Maybe in the next promo…
Old 11-23-21, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Okay, that was...odd. I never watched the show from beginning to end, but I have probably seen at least 20-25% of the episodes that aired over the course of the past 10 years through re-reruns on tv/basic cable and am still curious about this reboot/reimagining of the show.
Like most of the others (Saved by the bell, Punky, Gossip girl etc.), I expect it to be damn near terrible
Old 01-10-22, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 01-10-22, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

What the hell is this shit...
Old 01-10-22, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

If I want to see a dramatic version of the Bel-Air, I watch The OC. It's basically the same concept without copying the story beats. This look awful.
Old 01-10-22, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It looks like a parody.

Old 01-10-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Seriously, if the original didn't exist - I can honestly see an audience for this and it thriving.
I think this being a reboot will hurt it more than help it.

I have no interest in this in either scenario regardless.
Old 01-10-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
Seriously, if the original didn't exist - I can honestly see an audience for this and it thriving.
I think this being a reboot will hurt it more than help it.

I have no interest in this in either scenario regardless.
Those are kind of my thoughts as well. The show itself doesn’t look terrible, it may actually be something I’d watch, but it’s going to be hard for people (seemingly this shows main audience) to get past characters named Carlton, Uncle Phil, Geoffrey, etc. without seeing this as some sort of strange parody. I’m not sure you can have Will yelling “Carlton!” or “C’mon, Uncle Phil…” without thinking of the sitcom.

And based on that trailer, it looks like they’re lifting story ideas straight out of the sitcom. From the Philly school yard stuff to Will’s success on Bel-Air Academy’s basketball team. They even have a part where Will flips his school blazer inside out.
Old 01-10-22, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

This thread IS the reboot we needed
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/45...l-airport.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.