Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

I thought the trailer looked interesting. I have Peacock, so I will check it out. Not surprised that this is being met with some cynicism. I'm sure some will check it out and then be stumped....what this isn't a comedy reboot?

I'll have to see an episode to see if the new actor playing "Will" has any acting chops. The only one I recognized from the trailer was Adrian Holmes who plays "Uncle Phil" He was on Arrow and did some Canadian cop show 19-2. He's a British actor.
Old 01-10-22, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
re: Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

The one thing I've learned from these is that I need to watch to judge. I thought Cobra Kai sounded like the worst idea of all time and it's currently one of my favorite shows. I'll check this out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
DJariya (01-10-22), JeremyM (01-11-22)
Old 01-11-22, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought the trailer looked interesting. I have Peacock, so I will check it out. Not surprised that this is being met with some cynicism. I'm sure some will check it out and then be stumped....what this isn't a comedy reboot?

I'll have to see an episode to see if the new actor playing "Will" has any acting chops. The only one I recognized from the trailer was Adrian Holmes who plays "Uncle Phil" He was on Arrow and did some Canadian cop show 19-2. He's a British actor.
If you haven't done so already, you should watch 19-2. That's not some Canadian cop show. It's one of the best cop shows ever.
Old 01-11-22, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What the hell is this shit...
I'm not even giving it a chance. They should have called it something else. Nobody wants this.
Old 01-11-22, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The one thing I've learned from these is that I need to watch to judge. I thought Cobra Kai sounded like the worst idea of all time and it's currently one of my favorite shows. I'll check this out.
That's probably the clock is broken twice a day show. No one thought it would be good, and it was. All the recent reboots have been pretty crappy, most have been cancelled.
Old 02-06-22, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk God

This will premiere Super Bowl Sunday. 3 episodes will be posted. I think the thread title needs to be tightened up a little bit.

BEL-AIR
Premiere Date / Roll Out: Series premieres Super Bowl Sunday, February 13th with 3 episodes at launch and new episodes every Thursday
Logline: Set in modern-day America, Peacock's new one-hour drama series Bel-Air imagines the beloved sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air through a new, dramatic take on Will's complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. As these two worlds collide, Will reckons with the power of second chances while navigating the conflicts, emotions, and biases of a world far different from the only one he's ever known. Executive produced by Will Smith, and inspired by Morgan Cooper's viral trailer that reimagined the iconic, culture-defining '90s sitcom, Bel-Air takes a fresh and raw approach to this world of swagger, style, and aspiration, while exploring Will's complex journey through a current lens. The new series features an ensemble cast that introduces Jabari Banks as Will and a creative team that includes Cooper, who serves as director, co-writer, and executive producer, and co-showrunners and executive producers T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson.

Cast: Jabari Banks (Will), Adrian Holmes (Phillip Banks), Cassandra Freeman (Vivian Banks), Olly Sholotan (Carlton Banks), Coco Jones (Hilary Banks), Akira Akbar (Ashley Banks), Jimmy Akingbola (Geoffrey), Jordan L. Jones (Jazz), Simone Joy Jones (Lisa)
Co-Showrunners / Executive Producers: T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson
Director / Co-Writer / Executive Producer: Morgan Cooper
Executive Producers: Will Smith, Terence Carter, James Lassiter, Miguel Melendez, Malcolm Spellman, Quincy Jones, Benny Medina, and Andy & Susan Borowitz
Produced By: Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group, and Westbrook Studios, a division of Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith's media company Westbrook Inc.
Format: Drama series, 10 Episodes X 60 min
Filming Location: Los Angeles, CA and Philadelphia, PA

Last edited by DJariya; 02-15-22 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Premieres today and is now up on Peacock.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-15-22 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This was at 70% on Rotten Tomatoes at last check. Looks kinda cool. May check this out.
Old 02-13-22, 04:15 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Dark & Gritty Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Reboot
Dark & Gritty Fresh Prince? WTF?
Old 02-13-22, 08:10 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

#notmyunclephil

Although I gotta wonder, did he pick up will at the airport?
Old 02-13-22, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
#notmyunclephil

Although I gotta wonder, did he pick up will at the airport?
No. He still takes a cab and they wrote an explanation for why he had to do that. Basically none of his well off relatives could be bothered to get him since they were hosting a party/fundraiser for Uncle Phil to be Attorney General.
Old 02-14-22, 10:33 AM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am on the third episode and the show is watchable (and sprinkled with language throughout, mostly uttered by the youth in the show) but still such a departure from what folks might have been expecting, even knowing this would be a more modern and a bit more "heavy" re-imagining (taking place in a BLM, metoo world).

Carlton snorting lines of Xanax, Hillary setting herself up for a confrontation with Aunt Viv (aka her mom) over her social media diss of the Haute Cuisine magazine, Uncle Phil wanting to send Will to boarding school or a military academy (was he like that towards Will in the first season of Fresh Prince?), Jeffrey coming off more like a bodyguard than a butler, and other changes.

So far they have not done much with Carlton's little sister (who was played by Tatyana Ali in the OG show), but so far the writers have exercised restraint and not dropped her into any salacious storylines, and thank goodness for that. I also like Lisa, Carlton's ex and Will's future paramour as laid out so far on the show. It feels like in this show everyone has some skeleton's in the closet that they would like to keep locked up, and given that the OG show was for the most part a comedy, this may take some getting used to.

I can still see the bones of the OG show permeating this version but it is definitely not your father's Oldsmobile.
Old 02-19-22, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Bel-Air (Peacock) - Drama reboot of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air from EP Will Smith

Enjoying the show so far. During episode 3 kind of figured out that Jeffrey this go around is definitely not just a "butler" but way more of a bad ass, thinking special ops even(probably not). And another thing I like the "indirect" homage this one is paying to the first one by "flipping" the script on the characters. Like for example Jeffrey but even more so the one my wife picked up on but I totally forgot about. That being that in this one Hilary can actually fend for herself. They go from the original of her basically not even able to boil water to now she can REALLY COOK.