TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ted Lasso (Apple TV +) -- S: Jason Sudeikis -- From the creator of Scrubs

Old 06-04-23, 05:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Ted Lasso (Apple TV +) -- S: Jason Sudeikis -- From the creator of Scrubs

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So now that the show ended I can learn things like: Rebecca Welton (Hannah Waddingham) was also Septa Unella in Game of Thrones. Shame on me for not knowing that. Also her first professional acting role was as stripper Jenny Turbot in an episode of the BBC comedy series Coupling (think Friends, but funny). This was one of my and my wife's favorite comedies, right up there with Ted Lasso.
I loved coupling.
Old 06-04-23, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 655 Likes on 439 Posts

I'd never heard of Coupling. I checked out the 4 four episodes (I got hooked quickly ) based on Bill's post above and it is very funny. I'm definitely going to be zipping through the rest of the series over the next couple days.
Old 06-04-23, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 565 Likes on 412 Posts

Avoid the Americanized version
The following 2 users liked this post by whotony:
Red Dog (06-05-23), The Cow (06-05-23)
Old 06-06-23, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts

at Ted's bewilderment/confusion over the names of the different leagues/competitions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Dog:
Bandoman (06-06-23), Cusm (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 10:39 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So now that the show ended I can learn things like: Rebecca Welton (Hannah Waddingham) was also Septa Unella in Game of Thrones. Shame on me for not knowing that. Also her first professional acting role was as stripper Jenny Turbot in an episode of the BBC comedy series Coupling (think Friends, but funny). This was one of my and my wife's favorite comedies, right up there with Ted Lasso.
The wig threw me off but I missed that Harriet Walter, who plays Rebecca's mom, also played Kendall, Shiv, and Roman's mom on Succession.
Old 06-06-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
The wig threw me off but I missed that Harriet Walter, who plays Rebecca's mom, also played Kendall, Shiv, and Roman's mom on Succession.
How did I not realize that?!
Old 06-06-23, 12:28 PM

Received 4,449 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Hmmm...

Old 06-06-23, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

One lingering thing is Rupert gets fired for an inappropriate office relationship but Rebecca had an ongoing relationship with Sam, her friends know this, and everything is okay?
Old 06-06-23, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
One lingering thing is Rupert gets fired for an inappropriate office relationship but Rebecca had an ongoing relationship with Sam, her friends know this, and everything is okay?
You apparently watched this show with through different eyes. Rupert did not get sacked for having an affair, but only after he assaults his team's coach. Rebecca's relationship with Sam is somewhat weird, but she and Sam "meet" through an online dating site. She never manipulates/uses her power as his boss to hold influence over him. Comparing one of these to the other is apples to oranges.
Old 06-06-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Oh damn I forgot about that shove and assumed it was related to an office thing. That makes more sense now.
Old 06-07-23, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Rupert is the designated cartoon villain of the series. Best not to examine these sort of things too closely.
Old 06-08-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,350 Likes on 916 Posts

Sad that it is gone but enjoyed the hell out of the ride.
Old 06-08-23, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,350 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
More people should catch on to Dave.
While I agree people should check it out, it is not uplifting like this show is. Case in point, this season finale.
Old 06-12-23, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 893 Likes on 631 Posts

Wow, what a fun and amazing fucking ride. I'm glad I marathoned it because (after reading the thread) week to week overanalyzing with you guys would have killed it. I watched all three seasons back-to-back with my wife and two teen daughters and we loved every minute of it. While some of you see plots as wasted screen time, I saw character building. i.e. Keely. On the vast majority of shows she would have been written off as arm candy by season 3 but she grew into her own and started her own company. It's no different than spending an entire hour devoted to seeing how Beard unwinds after hours, only her plot was spread out over a season.

There were many times I would look across our family room at the three of them and all three had giant smiles on their faces. It was truly one of the most unique shared viewing experiences we've had.

One of the greatest things about this show for me is that it never seemed like there was a wasted character or much wasted time. Everyone's personal story or journey, or season/series long arc served a purpose. There were no characters that just just hate because they're terrible. You may hate them because that's what the writers want you to feel, but there was never any "I wish so and so wasn't on the show" type characters. I also loved that 99% of the cast, even the bit players, got a good moment in the finale, from the guys at the bar and Mae, to Sassy. About the only one that didn't get a moment to shine was Phoebe, but she had many great scenes throughout so it's hard to feel too bad about this one.

I'm surprised no one here mentioned the Cheers nod to Coach Pantuso and his picture of Geronimo getting straightened just like in the final episode of Cheers. Loved that bit.

I watched season 1 solo last summer and loved it so much I started over a week later to watch with my wife. So we watched both seasons last year and figured, why not bring our daughters in. So we rewatched again. So season 1, three times, season 2-twice and season 3-once. It's probably pre-mature but I would easily put Ted in the upper echelon of television shows of all time. Just three solid seasons of pure brilliance and they went out on a high note. 99% of shows fuck up the finale, even the ones that had plenty of time to prepare. Lasso stuck the landing and thumbed their noses at every other writers' room out there. Of course that could change if they decide to muck it up and do a season 4.

It'd be nice if this got a physical 4k release and load it with features. Given it's Apple's showpiece and the people that watched it are done and viewership will likely decline, it'd be a nice cash grab for them to release it separately from the service at some point down the line. I'd buy a complete series set in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (06-13-23)
Old 06-14-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Seems like it was a pretty sad ending for Ted. They implied that things between the wife and the new guy were not great with how he was acting during the match but they never solidified if he was still around. So Ted ends up back home to an ex still dating their former couples counselor, coaching a youth soccer team. Rather than being the highest paid English football coach in the league and potentially getting better custody with his son. Even the look he gave in the last shot of the show was not great. He deserved a more directly happy ending rather than implied future happiness.
I don't think we're supposed to assume that Ted is only coaching his son's soccer team. Although, even if he is at that moment, that may be his choice, taking a break and spending a lot of time with his son, who he missed for 3 years while in the UK.

As for Dr. Jacob, beyond him fading to the background during the final match, he's also missing from the son's soccer game at the end, not sitting next to Michelle. It could be that he's busy at work or something, but that's another possible indicator that the relationship could be over.

However, the show did end leaving a few things ambiguous. We also didn't see Keely pick either Roy or Jamie, or neither. I think they wanted to leave some stuff open for viewers to fill in the gaps the way they want. That way, they don't upset a particular part of the audience by showing the "wrong" resolution.
Old 06-14-23, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,569 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
She just popped up in the show Silo too. Making the rounds!
Old 09-22-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts

Finally finished season three. Kind of an uneven season but it finishes strong. The finale was good. Bittersweet but I liked where things ended overall.

The show could definitely continue but it wouldnít be quite the same without Ted even though itís about more than just his character. Iíd prefer it just stay wrapped up and not try to drag out more since the central story has been told.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-22-23 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-25-23, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll miss this show. I absolutely loved the first two seasons, but couldn't make it through season three. Just too uneven for me. But the show overall is one I'll likely watch again.
Old 09-25-23, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts

The unevenness of season three is why my wife and I stretched it out so long. We also had other things going on and werenít watching a bunch but there were times we didnít have the motivation to watch.

I think as a whole season three is good but itís very up and down. The back half is better than the first if you ask me. It wraps strong in the last few episodes Iíd say.
Old 09-26-23, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts

I watched the final season with my mom, in that we'd independently watch each week's episode, then talk about it on our next phone call. On one, she was mentioning how this season felt I bit off, and I replied that the show shifted from a half-hour sitcom to a one-hour dramady. The tones are similar, but I think some of the pacing and shape is different, and I don't think the show fully adjusted to the transition. Plus, I think the final season was a bit overstuffed, since they had to finish off all the story arcs, and I don't think they necessarily ended season 2 thinking season 3 would be the last one. Like, I overall like Nate's story arc, but the transition from heel back to good guy seemed a bit rushed.
Old 09-26-23, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah my wife gave up on season 3 also.
Old 09-26-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 893 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think they necessarily ended season 2 thinking season 3 would be the last one.
It was planned as a 3 season show. Of course who knows how much was planned. I'm guessing just Ted and the teams arcs (amd maybe Nate). Once secondary characters get popular (Roy & Keeley) they have to shift and I'm guessing that's why it felt like a lot of things to wrap up.
Old 09-26-23, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 281 Posts

The Roy Keeley break-up was a giant misfire that really put a damper on season 3.
Old 09-26-23, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 303 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
The Roy Keeley break-up was a giant misfire that really put a damper on season 3.
Yep. IMO everything with Keeley in season 3 was forgettable at best and an obnoxious slog at worst.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (09-28-23)
Old 09-26-23, 04:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 864 Likes on 731 Posts

What was wrong with S3? I thought it never missed a beat. In line with first 2. I didn’t see any differences. I thought S3 was funny, poignant and a perfect way to end a great show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.