Star Trek: Prodigy -- Nickelodeon animated series coming in 2021

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Prodigy -- Nickelodeon animated series coming in 2021

Old 06-23-23, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,785 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Prodigy -- Nickelodeon animated series coming in 2021

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Am I reading that right? They're completing season two, but aren't going to stream it?
Yes, just like what happened with Snowpiercer on TNT. Season 4 was shot and completed and TNT dumped it and it looks like it will never air as it's been months since the production company tried to find a buyer.

CBS studios is trying to find a buyer according to the article, but who knows if that will happen.
Old 06-23-23, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,396 Likes on 950 Posts

Fuckers better release it somehow. Ending on that cliffhanger sucks ass
Old 06-23-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Wooow. That suuuuccks. It's been "Batgirl'd" for Tax reasons"!!
Old 06-23-23, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts

It'll all be dumped onto a FAST service some day.
Old 06-23-23, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

This Tax nonsense needs to be stopped.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (06-26-23)
Old 06-23-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes, just like what happened with Snowpiercer on TNT. Season 4 was shot and completed and TNT dumped it and it looks like it will never air as it's been months since the production company tried to find a buyer.

CBS studios is trying to find a buyer according to the article, but who knows if that will happen.
Yeah, I've heardno news on the Snowpiercer front; in fact, I kind of forgot about it.

I can't imagine that anyone would be in a rush to buy two seasons of a Star Trek animated series aimed at kids.

Maybe if the writers strike goes on long enough, both series will find buyers needing content.
Old 06-23-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Release it direct to BD then.
Paramount seems to release all of their Star Trek content to disc so I'd guess they'll eventually do it unless the write-off would prevent them from doing so.
Old 06-23-23, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,054 Posts

What the hell, I hope they give it a decent ending.
Old 06-23-23, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 304 Likes on 250 Posts

This is a bit of a shocker, as I thought that the show had slowly developed a core base of fans due to good word of mouth. I could swear it was not just folks on this site praising the show as a surprisingly good Star Trek show that just happens to be aimed at a younger audience, but clearly, the audience that enjoyed the show was not all that large.

I think this is the new normal for all the streamers out there, churning quickly through shows that do not quickly find a decent sized audience, as such they get not only cancelled but pulled from the streamers library of viewable content.

I can remember it was not all that long ago when it was mostly Netflix that folks were grumbling about as constantly cancelling shows after just 1 season had aired, but at least Netflix tended to keep cancelled shows in their library instead of removing the show entirely for tax reasons or whatever.

As much as I am not a fan of the constant uncertainty surrounding any new show I start up on any of the streamers I subscribe too, I will just have to get used to it. The only way this will stop is if in protest against these actions, not just a handful of folks cancel, but huge blocks of tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of subscribers cancel their accounts for several months in a row. However, I suspect this will not happen and I will not see a new mass of large crowds of people at places like public parks from folks who have decided to step away from watching tv shows and films and have decided to enjoy the great outdoors, lol.
Old 06-23-23, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I did read somewhere that they might have canceled this series in order to free up resources to make Star Trek: Legacy.
Old 06-23-23, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Bummer, hope it finds a new home or CBS comes to their senses and streams it.
Old 06-24-23, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,068 Likes on 739 Posts

This is ridiculous. I guess we did it to ourselves making streaming the dominant form of consuming entertainment. We gave all the power back to the studios.

Any word on when it'll be dropped? Trying to binge watch it now. I watched the first 10 episodes then never got around to the last half of the season. It really sucks they don't give any warning. Just a few days before it's pulled for the foreseeable future. I still don't get why it has to be pulled from the library. So ridiculous.
Old 06-24-23, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Any word on when it'll be dropped?
I think itís being pulled on the 27th. The date of the new launch with Showtime.
Old 06-24-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

This is ridiculous. I guess we did it to ourselves making streaming the dominant form of consuming entertainment. We gave all the power back to the studios.
Yup, exactly. People bitched and complained for years that the main networks sucked and cable was a rip-off. Now with streaming, it's turned into a land mine of content that people can barely keep up with and if they aren't watching it as soon as it drops, the studios are now assuming that no one is watching. And now the studios are thinking of various business loop holes to try to get some of their money back.

I never even started Prodigy even though I like Star Trek because it's just way too hard to keep up with even popular IPs with so many things to watch. And I'm not going to force myself to panic watch it over the next few days just because it's going away.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-24-23 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (06-24-23)
Old 06-24-23, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,196 Likes on 929 Posts

As far as the show being on Blu-ray apparently only the first ten episodes of season one were released. Not seeing anything about a second volume. I never got around to watching but have heard decent things about the show.
Old 06-24-23, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The blu-ray is only the first half of the season. Didn't know that.

The janky release schedule of this series didn't do it any favors. And it looks like that even carried over to the blu-ray release. Paramount generally releases Trek as complete seasons. Wonder why they didn't here?

Maybe if they can't get sell it to another streamer or net they can release a "Complete Series" blu-ray at some point.
Old 06-24-23, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, exactly. People bitched and complained for years that the main networks sucked and cable was a rip-off. Now with streaming, it's turned into a land mine of content that people can barely keep up with and if they aren't watching it as soon as it drops, the studios are now assuming that no one is watching. And now the studios are thinking of various business loop holes to try to get some of their money back.
Yes, it's a really bad system, but we should have seen it coming.

The streamers have access to more data -- and more precise data -- than anyone did before. They know what you're watching, where you watch it, when you watch it, and how quickly you watch it. So Netflix and others are now basing renewal and cancellation decisions on not only whether people are watching something, but how they're watching it.

And, on top of that, instead of ETEWAF, stuff is blipping on and off of these things at an alarming rate.

I mean, Jeezus, think it about it. Paramount is pulling a season of Star Trek off of their platform about six months after completion, and they have a completed season that they won't air. And we thought HBO dumping Westworld and The Nevers to Tubi was a surprising move...

Old 06-25-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yup, exactly. People bitched and complained for years that the main networks sucked and cable was a rip-off.
Dude, relax. You make it seem as if people were telling lies about the main networks and cable. They were telling the truth...
Old 06-26-23, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Amazon Amazon

Looks like everyone rushed to panic buy season 1, Part 1 on BD. Amazon is sold out.
Old 06-26-23, 01:51 PM

Received 879 Likes on 577 Posts

Any word on when it'll be dropped?
Originally Posted by TheBang
I think itís being pulled on the 27th. The date of the new launch with Showtime.
As of today, June 26th, it's not on the Paramount Plus app/site anymore.

I watched a few eps last summer and liked it but never went back to it.
Old 06-26-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm hearing that it's gone only the US? I saw people in the UK saying it's still on whatever streamer they have. Is this true?
Old 06-26-23, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you fucking kidding me?? They already pulled it?! I was three episodes away from finishing it. I was just sitting down to finish it up.

Paramount was on such a high with Picard season 3, SNW, Lower Decks, finishing up STD, announcing multiple new treks. Then they pull this shit??

Fuck you paramount. Actually just all the studios. They sell consumers this grand plan of streaming, they pour oodles of money into producing mountains of content, then they screw over all the writers and sometimes the cast over streaming profits and now theyíre screwing over consumers with shit like this.
Old 06-27-23, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,672 Likes on 4,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wooow. That suuuuccks. It's been "Batgirl'd" for Tax reasons"!!
Originally Posted by Xiroteus
This Tax nonsense needs to be stopped.
FWIW itís not tax reasons. The deduction can only be taken on a product that never aired (like Batgirl). This is just to avoid paying residuals.
Old 06-27-23, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
FWIW itís not tax reasons. The deduction can only be taken on a product that never aired (like Batgirl). This is just to avoid paying residuals.
Thats what I would have thought and is even WORSE. To avoid paying the very creators of the show residuals they can it? But also how is that saving money? How is it that residuals arenít tied to the number of times a show is watched. Residuals should never cost the studio money it should be a shared profit venture.

This whole thing reeks of a sly negotiations tactic from the studios in response to the writers strike.
Old 06-27-23, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Thats what I would have thought and is even WORSE. To avoid paying the very creators of the show residuals they can it? But also how is that saving money? How is it that residuals arenít tied to the number of times a show is watched. Residuals should never cost the studio money it should be a shared profit venture.

This whole thing reeks of a sly negotiations tactic from the studios in response to the writers strike.
Paramount already said they will complete production on Season 2 and shop it around as a bundle deal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.