Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cursed (Netflix) -- S: Katherine Langford, Created by: Frank Miller, premiered 7/17/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cursed (Netflix) -- S: Katherine Langford, Created by: Frank Miller, premiered 7/17/20

Old 07-20-20, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Stars Katherine Langford of "13 Reasons Why" fame, and based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller (Sin City, The Spirit) and screenwriter Tom Wheeler. It's a re-imagining or "bold retelling" of many aspects of the Arthurian legends. I've caught the first few episodes so far. It's ok for what it is, but it feels uneven. Apparently the reviews aren't great. I have a friend who is well-versed in Arthurian lore, to the point where he's currently working on an entire encyclopedia of the vast amount of knowledge he's learned and accumulated over the years, and I told him a little about what I've seen in the first few episodes. He is livid about what they've done, but then he's the type who doesn't go in for change or "re-imagining" too well for things he's accustomed to, or even love. He's very Sheldon-like in that regard.

Anyway, I don't want to say too much about what they've done with the stories and characters thus far. You know, spoilers and all. Anyone caught it yet?
Old 07-20-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Cursed (Netflix) -- S: Katherine Langford, Created by: Frank Miller, premiered 7/17/20

Yeah no way I'm going to watch this if they can't even bothered to do a little research into the legends.
Old 07-20-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cursed (Netflix) -- S: Katherine Langford, Created by: Frank Miller, premiered 7/17/20

Originally Posted by Koby
Yeah no way I'm going to watch this if they can't even bothered to do a little research into the legends.
I would say they did enough research to twist things around and write the story they wanted to write with many of the basic characters. Unfortunately, my friend I mentioned isn't big on things he sees as being part of the "woke culture".
Old 07-20-20, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

I've watched the first half and I'm on the fence about continuing. This plays like a CW show aimed at a teen girl audience. I'm a fan of the fantasy genre, but shows like Carnival Row and The Witcher are much better than this.
Old 07-20-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This is not a terrible show. It does feel at time catered to a CW girls audience especially in some music choices and it's very uneven. It gets a little repetitive at times but there is some good here as well. The little animated scene transitions are neat, and it's definitely better in it's second half than first. But there are some reasonably solid villains some of the special effects are pretty solid, but some of them are not so great at all.I liked some of the supporting characters. Dialogue is cheesy at times. It's not a great show by any means but it's somewhat diverting and switches things around enough that you don't know exactly where the plot is going. Guess that's faint praise but I would watch a second season.
Old 07-20-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Stars Katherine Langford of "13 Reasons Why" fame, and based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller (Sin City, The Spirit) and screenwriter Tom Wheeler.
Strange. I've never heard of this graphic novel...
Old 07-21-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Strange. I've never heard of this graphic novel...
Well, I was assuming graphic novel. Maybe I didn't use the right terminology.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20)
Old 07-21-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Illustrated book, then.

I follow the comics industry, so I didn't know how a new Frank Miller comic had come out without me knowing about it. That would have been huge news.
Old 07-27-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

Well, I went ahead and finished the season. It does get a bit better in the second half. The plotting and maneuvering by the different factions vying for power is interesting. A lot of the acting is pretty bad, though. The two leads, playing Nimue and Arthur, aren't very good. It's like watching a high school production. I liked Katherine Langford in 13 Reasons Why, but I'm not digging her in this. The king (Uther) and the 'weeping' warrior guy are also bad. I do like Merlin, and some of the other supporting characters, too. The Widow was cool, but Morgana wasn't, so that's too bad. Don't know if I'd watch another season.
Old 07-09-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Cancelled.