Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

Old 10-07-23, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,405 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

I feel like were seeing more character development and lore dumps in these few, short episodes than we have in decades of all the other shows. It really feels like a completely different way of approaching the idea of a Trek show. Its not afraid of embracing itself and showing every facet of the weird stuff.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (10-09-23)
Old 10-10-23, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Uh-oh...

https://www.cinemablend.com/intervie...e-shows-future

While speaking to McMahan about Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 4, I brought up Picard's ending, Prodigy being canceled, and Discovery ending in 2024, and subsequently asked if there's any reason to worry about the future of the animated series and the current second longest-tenured show of this Trek era. McMahan kept it honest, and while he said that Lower Decks Season 5 is already in the works, the rest of his messaging is clear:

Yeah, I mean, listen, we’re in weird times. Everything is changing. I think everything’s gonna continue to change. I would say nothing is safe. I don’t have any bad news for anybody, but also, I think you shouldn’t assume that this stuff is gonna stick around unless you vocally and watch it early on. I do not know if we’re going to have another season after the season we’re working on right now [Season 5]. Lower Decks could very well be a five-season show.
Mike McMahan has long advocated for watching and supporting "all that Star Treks," and now he's asking fans to ensure they do that as Lower Decks Season 4 airs. With Paramount+ making changes to its streaming lineup and canceling shows beyond even the realm of Trek, it's a very safe assumption that Lower Decks needs strong seasonal viewership to ensure a definite future.

While diehard fans reading this are likely already firing up their Paramount+ subscription, McMahan gave some advice for all supporters of the animated series. If the fan campaigning to support Star Trek: Lower Decks is going to happen, it needs to start now and not when it's potentially on the chopping block and at risk of being removed from a platform completely like we saw earlier this year:

So, if you love Lower Decks as much as I do, I would say make sure to watch it and get people to watch it now. A letter writing campaign after a show gets canceled, it’s helpful, but what’s more helpful is campaigning to get more eyes on the show when it’s airing because it gives me the ability to push for more seasons. I would love to finish Lower Decks with the plan that I have for it. I would say, take Prodigy looking for a new [network], and take a look at Picard being wrapped at Season 3, and at Discovery wrapping as well. I would say read those as signs that if you want more Lower Decks, you should be vocal about it now and not wait.

Old 10-10-23, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of the few streaming shows that we make a point to watch the same day it drops. We're actually behind on Ahsoka and Only Murders, even Futurama, but for LD we are there on the spot.
Old 10-11-23, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Paramount backing down on supporting Trek Shows because it's too expensive.
Old 10-12-23, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah. The strikes and the belt tightening couldn't have come at a worse time for Trek shows. With new shows not really having been committed yet and the other shows ending we really only have SNW and LD that are "guaranteed". And probably the section 31 movie/streaming special (what are we calling these things anyways) since it's not that much of a commitment especially if they still have STD assets that they can use before warehousing/destroying them. As much as the fans would love Star Trek Legacy I doubt if that will get greenlit. I doubt it if paramount will want to drop the kind of money they have been recently with Picard S3 and SNW with rebuilding the entire EntD bridge set just for two episodes.

But on a positive note hopefully they've taken notice how passionate Trek fans are with #saveprodigy and it's success. And hopefully they've realized how much goodwill they've bought by producing a lot of good quality Trek the last couple of years.

Either way it will be a long LONG time until we see another year like 2023 for Trek fans. It's really been a banner year.
Old 10-13-23, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

This weeks episode was an important one, but also a goofy episode. It figures that this far into the future there would be tons of AI beings that needed to be contained before they took over the universe, lol. It also tracks that these AI beings would discover the fake out when it comes to certain ships being attacked. On that note, that is enough of a spoiler that I will leave it at that. I am definitely looking forward to the last few episodes.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-13-23 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-13-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Is there anything to the weird crystal thing that has been showing up in the opening credits at the attack on the Borg cube?
All the other ships seem to have been in previous lore but that Crystal th8ng not so much.
Old 10-20-23, 09:51 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

This week's episode ("Caves") was the best Star Trek I've seen in awhile. The stories were great and the situations were total Trek.

I think I'll watch it again this weekend.

Lower Decks is the best.
Old 10-20-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last week's AI one wasn't quite up there for me, some interesting stuff (good to see Boimler knowling walking into a trap because he knows he can get out of it, a bit of Anakin Skywalker in that, for better or worse).

But Caves was a dang good episode. They took one of Trek's most tired tropes and made it a damn good character study. Our little squad is growing up, taking on new responsibilities and having adventures with other people. It was really good to see a Trek show touch on this kind of growth and call out the fact that sometimes it felt like members of the crew (on past Trek series) didn't share enough with each other, even when it could help a situation.

And a flashback to the first episode, with the trapped in the turbolift scenario was really good too, and I loved seeing them end up in a cuddle puddle at the end (hopefully away from the pee corner).

Loved seeing another TAS callback, as the shapeshifting Vendorians are from the TAS episode "The Survivor".

I know it's not as popular, but I'd love to see this get 100 episodes like Rick & Morty.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
Goldberg74 (10-20-23), tanman (10-24-23)
Old 10-20-23, 12:36 PM

Received 430 Likes on 295 Posts

Caves is a great episode. Laughing the whole time. I'd forgotten the Vendorians were from TAS.

Lower Decks needs to continue past season 5. Sure 100 episodes sounds good.
Old 10-20-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

I'd be happy if this ended up being the longest running Trek series. Exceeded all my expectations by a mile.
Old 10-20-23, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'd be happy if this ended up being the longest running Trek series. Exceeded all my expectations by a mile.
The trailer had me thinking "this looks awful" I'll take a look to "this is really good!" Right from the start.
Old 10-21-23, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Picard is ending because there are only so many ways you can shoehorn in variations of Brent Spiner's dead character into storylines.

Discover is ending because it's, well, Discovery. Fortunately, by now taking place so far in the future of Trek, whatever happens has no consequence on canon.

Lower Decks will continue because animation is cheap and there are no big names to pay.

Prodigy was going to be nothing more than a serious version of Lower Decks, and was probably deemed to be irrelevant.
General Zod (10-27-23)
Old 10-21-23, 11:00 AM

Yeah I thought Picard was planned to end after 3 seasons. Can't go out any better than season 3 anyways. Discovery well... best thing about Discovery was it gave us the other new shows including SNW. Prodigy I tried but couldn't get into. Love Lower Decks, SNW and hope Legacy gets made.
Old 10-21-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Is there anything to the weird crystal thing that has been showing up in the opening credits at the attack on the Borg cube?
All the other ships seem to have been in previous lore but that Crystal th8ng not so much.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Crystalline_Entity

it's from multiple episodes of TNG.
Old 10-23-23, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Picard is ending because there are only so many ways you can shoehorn in variations of Brent Spiner's dead character into storylines.

Discover is ending because it's, well, Discovery. Fortunately, by now taking place so far in the future of Trek, whatever happens has no consequence on canon.

Lower Decks will continue because animation is cheap and there are no big names to pay.

Prodigy was going to be nothing more than a serious version of Lower Decks, and was probably deemed to be irrelevant.

Ok...
Old 10-24-23, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope LD will continue on as well but that recent report from the creator has me concerned. Not sure if he was saying that generally or if it was a plea for more viewers. I don't think any show is safe anymore.
Old 10-29-23, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG The Inner Fight was a great episode.

Love that they finally
Spoiler:
tied in the inspiration for the series TNG Lower Decks, into this episode. I thought the storyline making Mariner and Jax Sito friends and her mentor was spectacular. I was getting irritated that she was becoming like season 1 Mariner and just way over the top but now we get an explanation as to why. And bringing back Tom Paris Nick Locarno was brilliant. And Balok returns! Or the original inspiration for Balok. I didn't catch it but did Clint Howard voice him? He had to have right?

I really wish there were more than 10 episodes/season. Of all the current Trek but especially LD because IMO they are doing the best at taking established lore and expanding on it. They aren't dwelling on it but expanding on it which is great.
Red Dog (10-30-23)
Old 10-30-23, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that bringing back
Spoiler:
Nick Locarno should put to rest is the rumor that he wasn't used on Voyager because of them not wanting to pay the original writer, instead of the actual reason that was that they felt Nick had gone too far over the edge to be redeemed, so Tom Paris was made to be a fuckup but not in a "death to the Federation" way, just a more generic "there's a problem here that I'm going to take into my own, stupid hands" kind of way.
Old 11-01-23, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
Nick Locarno should put to rest is the rumor that he wasn't used on Voyager because of them not wanting to pay the original writer, instead of the actual reason that was that they felt Nick had gone too far over the edge to be redeemed, so Tom Paris was made to be a fuckup but not in a "death to the Federation" way, just a more generic "there's a problem here that I'm going to take into my own, stupid hands" kind of way.
I'd heard people repeat that for years and it just shows that most people don't understand even the most basic facts of being a staff writer on a tv show.
Old 11-03-23, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
After watching the finale he definitely was too far gone to be redeemed.

Loved the 2 part finale. Going to have to watch them again to pick up what I missed. This show needs to go on past Season 5.
Old 11-06-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, they really made that clear.

And Beckett being a fangirl for Sito Jaxa really hammered home her trauma with Starfleet. It's an organization she truly loves but she's also painfully aware of the pain it can cause. They even got her and Wil Wheaton back for the voices in the flashback.

Very deep cut here, and it actually gave both new and the old episodes some new weight and meaning.
tanman (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

What eps of the earlier series can I watch to get up to date on the Locarno history?
Old 11-06-23, 12:21 PM

What eps of the earlier series can I watch to get up to date on the Locarno history?
Locarno (and Sito) are covered in TNG S5E19 "The First Duty"

The rest of Sito's story is in TNG S7E15 "Lower Decks"

Old 11-06-23, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

There's not much more to it than what you saw in the flashback to the academy. Flight team with Wesley, wanted to do some difficult and banned stunt to show off, got someone killed and lied about it. Wes was strained to decide if he should stick with his academy mates or tell Picard the truth.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.