TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows being edited for content due to social issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 01:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: TV shows being edited for content due to social issues

There’s a certain type of racist that loves when Aunt Jamimah goes bye bye or when Tin Fey does this or when Disney locks Song of the South in the vault indefinitely. It makes it much easier to pretend it never happened.

The left is engaging in the same behavior the right did in the forties, fifties, and sixties. Full on witch hunts. And if you’re suspect you can't work anymore.

Anyone seen this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_by_Suspicion
Old 06-28-20, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's already too late for animation. Gone unmentioned here is that there has been a growing storm on social media about white voice actors playing non-white characters.

Hank Azaria has already announced he will stop voicing several characters on the Simpsons because they are a diffferent race. The producers will cast new minority voice actors in those roles.
In the case of Apu, I understand the problem. I think that the comedian guy who made the documentary was just trying to get his name out there, but yeah, Apu was a problematic character if you were an Indian in school at the time. Indian kids were a minority back then, and I heard kids of different ethnicities make fun of Indian or Arab kids, saying stuff like, "Thank you, come again!" in the Apu voice, and talking shit about their parents probably owning a Kwik-E-Mart.

As far as Cleveland from Family Guy, I don't watch the show, but I thought that Cleveland sounded like a regular dude, nothing stereotypical about his voice or way of speaking, unlike Hank Azaria's portrayal of Apu. But the voice actor for Cleveland saidpersons of color should play characters of color.” He didn't say that characters' races should match with the actor playing them. That would obviously discount say, black actors from playing or voicing white characters. But it's pretty vague to say that "persons of color should play characters of color." It's almost like "People of Color" has become a singular race. Is it okay if a light-skinned Latino voices a black cartoon character? What about an Asian voicing Mexican character?

Originally Posted by DJariya
The hits keep coming. An old Golden Girls episode pulled from Hulu

Go buy the DVD set now!!! Quick quick quick
I saw a gif of it. It looks cringey. Hopefully Tropic Thunder gets pulled from all streaming services too. I mean, that's the most prominent and popular example of blackface in entertainment in recent times.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Honestly I have no issues with any of these being yanked or edited. I mean you're talking about a few episodes of 140 of 30 Rock. 1 of 201 episodes of the Office edited. 1 of 110 Community episodes.

With the history of these shows and actors, I doubt any ill-intent was intentional but what harm does it really entail by just being proactive? People can enjoy the 99.9% of the rest of those shows. It's time to be better as a society and if that entails finally deciding (why did it take this long?) that black face is ultimately unacceptable in any fashion, then so be it. Scrub a few episodes, and we'll move on.
This is the opposite of being "proactive." They're responding to something AFTER it happened. I'm genuinely glad that Tina Fey is in a position where she can get stuff pulled from the net that's now, potentially harmful to her career and her upcoming, 1-hour 30 Rock special. But it's not coming from a place of being "better." It's not like racism and police brutality just started happening in 2020.

Also this will sound weird, but complaining about not having access to a black face episode or rushing to buy a series seems... uh, weird to me. I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here due to the nature of the site. We all like unedited movies and shows, original audio tracks and all that jazz, so I kinda get it from you guys. But the average joe complaining around the net? I dunno, it just screams...I need my racism in my show and a little bit Alan Smithee (preserve the black face for future generations!).
When you word it like that, yeah it sounds weird...and racist on the part of the people complaining. But when you word it like, people are complaining about episodes of 30 Rock being pulled it's a little more understandable.

It screams..."I need my racism in my show" from the average Joe? What does it say about the people who actually created the racist content, repeatedly, for this show? They got criticized for it at the time, and still continued with it. Why did they feel the need to do blackface multiple times on the show?

Last edited by brayzie; 06-28-20 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
In the case of Apu, I understand the problem. I think that the comedian guy who made the documentary was just trying to get his name out there, but yeah, Apu was a problematic character if you were an Indian in school at the time. Indian kids were a minority back then, and I heard kids of different ethnicities make fun of Indian or Arab kids, saying stuff like, "Thank you, come again!" in the Apu voice, and talking shit about their parents probably owning a Kwik-E-Mart.

As far as Cleveland from Family Guy, I don't watch the show, but I thought that Cleveland sounded like a regular dude, nothing stereotypical about his voice or way of speaking, unlike Hank Azaria's portrayal of Apu. But the voice actor for Cleveland saidpersons of color should play characters of color.” He didn't say that characters' races should match with the actor playing them. That would obviously discount say, black actors from playing or voicing white characters. But it's pretty vague to say that "persons of color should play characters of color." It's almost like "People of Color" has become a singular race. Is it okay if a light-skinned Latino voices a black cartoon character? What about an Asian voicing Mexican character?

Kevin Michael Richardson and Bree Summer have voiced dozens of white characters between them - what happens when someone says they can't play a certain character?

Old 06-28-20, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There’s a certain type of racist that loves when Aunt Jamimah goes bye bye or when Tin Fey does this or when Disney locks Song of the South in the vault indefinitely. It makes it much easier to pretend it never happened.

The left is engaging in the same behavior the right did in the forties, fifties, and sixties. Full on witch hunts. And if you’re suspect you can't work anymore.

Anyone seen this?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_by_Suspicion
De Niro made a period film about McCarthyism?? I have to check this out.

The difference with today is that every random person out there has an outlet (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) to put their voice on equal footing with professional media in general. So if you're someone who wants to get likes and followers, dig up some shit from 20 years ago about a popular performer and BOOM, your post goes viral and you're Twitter famous. If you're an unknown living in Russia and want to fuck with U.S. elections, make up a story and BOOM suddenly "Hillary has AIDS" is trending. And in the case of Tina Fey, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, etc they're gonna be okay. Unlike the people in Hollywood who were accused of being communists. But I get your overall point on some of the similarities.

In that regard, I don't blame Disney, Tina Fey, and these other people doing what they can to avoid bad publicity that can potentially impact their projects and revenue. It's too easy for randos to start some shit with a Tweet, have it go viral, and fuck things up. Up and coming rapper Doja Cat was getting popular, and some random person made a Tweet making her out to look like a self-hating black, white supremacist who attacks "Women of Color." I looked into it, and a lot of the things that the Twitter user was claiming was exaggerated or hearsay. But there was a huge backlash because of it.
Old 06-28-20, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I guess eventually they'll pull the entire series of The Dukes of Hazzard since it has a Confederate flag on the top of the car. Just about every episode of All in the Family can be pulled as it could be considred offensive. Would the pull The Jeffersons for being racially offensive to white people? In so many of those episodes George Jefferson refers to white people as Honkeys and a mixed race woman as a zebra.
Old 06-28-20, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
I guess eventually they'll pull the entire series of The Dukes of Hazzard since it has a Confederate flag on the top of the car. Just about every episode of All in the Family can be pulled as it could be considred offensive. Would the pull The Jeffersons for being racially offensive to white people? In so many of those episodes George Jefferson refers to white people as Honkeys and a mixed race woman as a zebra.
Amazon Might Pull ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ From IMDb TV Free Streaming Service Over Confederate Flag Imagery

It's a possibility.

Is 30 Rock Racist?
an opinion piece from 2010 in the Huffington Post.

The only other black character with substantial lines on 30 Rock is named “Toofer” (you get two for one because he’s both black and from Harvard). Toofer has a resoundingly minor role, but like Jordan, is also totally defined by his (lack of) blackness — even named for his (lack of) blackness. Given that his defining characteristic is his intellectual prowess, it becomes apparent he is trapped in the wrong body — he is “afraid of black people,” and has enormous trouble communicating with Tracy. It is learned that he descended from a black Confederate soldier who harbored the fugitive John Wilkes Booth following his assassination of Lincoln. Connect the dots.
A more recent article about 30 Rock's use of blackface and subsequent avoidance of discussing the issue. Quite a good read.
Tina Fey’s Problems With Race Extend Far Beyond ‘30 Rock’s’ Blackface

When asked about critiques the series had received for effectively casting a white woman to play a Native American, Fey’s response was dismissive as best.“We did an [Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt] episode and the internet was in a whirlwind, calling it ‘racist,’ but my new goal is not to explain jokes,” Fey told Net-a-Porter in 2015. “I feel like we put so much effort into writing and crafting everything, they need to speak for themselves. There’s a real culture of demanding apologies, and I’m opting out of that.”

Last edited by brayzie; 06-28-20 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

It gets a bit silly to have to remove things just because it might be offensive to someone. When I managed a retail store years ago, I had an old lady come up to me demanding that I remove a product off of the sales floor because she considered it offensive. The product: An American Greetings gift bag that had a picture of a kid picking his nose with the caption "I picked out something especially for you". She was irate, yelling and screaming, about how offensive it was because she was a retired school teacher who had to constantly tell children to stop picking their nose. I had to explain to her that if I removed everything from the store that anyone found offensive, we would have an empty store. I would have to remove Uncle Ben's rice, Aunt Jamima syrup, Proctor and Gamble products due to their possible link to Satanic cults, gossip magazines (really all magazines, because someone could find something offensive with all of them), birth control products, mouse/rodent traps due to Peta, etc. There would literally be nothing left in the store to sell. The same thing will happen if we start to pull every tv show or movie out of circulation that someone finds offensive.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Honestly I have no issues with any of these being yanked or edited. I mean you're talking about a few episodes of 140 of 30 Rock. 1 of 201 episodes of the Office edited. 1 of 110 Community episodes.

With the history of these shows and actors, I doubt any ill-intent was intentional but what harm does it really entail by just being proactive? People can enjoy the 99.9% of the rest of those shows. It's time to be better as a society and if that entails finally deciding (why did it take this long?) that black face is ultimately unacceptable in any fashion, then so be it. Scrub a few episodes, and we'll move on.

Also this will sound weird, but complaining about not having access to a black face episode or rushing to buy a series seems... uh, weird to me. I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt here due to the nature of the site. We all like unedited movies and shows, original audio tracks and all that jazz, so I kinda get it from you guys. But the average joe complaining around the net? I dunno, it just screams...I need my racism in my show and a little bit Alan Smithee (preserve the black face for future generations!).
Ever since the Meghan Kelly controversy, I have seen many commentators and read some articles explaining why, in their opinion, any instance of a white person putting on make-up to appear as a person of color is racist, and I have never been convinced that it is true. And these latest developments only have convinced me more that I am correct.

Think about Jimmy Fallon and Billy Crystal doing impersonations of Chris Rock and Sammy Davis in comedy sketches in "blackface."
Do you think Fallon and Crystal are racists? Do you think they hated Rock and Davis? Do you think they wanted to mock Rock and Davis because Rock and Davis are black? Do you think these comedy sketches mocked and degraded people of color as a whole group, or even Rock and Davis in particular? Do you think there was any agenda, on the part of anyone involved in the creation of these comedy pieces, to communicate a message that people of color are "less than" in any way?

Or do you think that Fallon was doing a celebrity impression, and when performers on SNL do impressions, they almost always try to make themselves look as much like the person as possible?

I know that there are people who see Jimmy Fallon made up to look like Rock, or Jimmy Kimmel made up to look like Karl Malone, and say that they think it is racist.
And I believe that they think that, but I also am absolutely certain that their belief does not make it so, and another person can believe something different.

If Fey wants to scrub some episodes of her show because she does not want to risk offending people who might be offended, then she can do that.

And if Fallon and Kimmel want to apologize for offending people who were offended, then they can do that.

I don't think it is right, or even a beneficial idea, to decide that doing this thing is always a racist action. Just like I know that every time a white person speaks "the N-word" is is not racist. Sometimes you are just singing along with a song.
William Fuld (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The problem especially with comedy boils down to someone can find something they’re offended by in just about anything. It’s kind of the nature of comedy and some things might be uncomfortable for some people. I’ve always been of the mindset of if I don’t like something I just don’t watch it. Not one that’s: “I don’t like something so I have to be in an uproar and make it so everybody who does enjoy can’t any longer”.

I think we’ve gotten way, way too hyper sensitive. Are there injustices in society that need to be corrected? Absolutely, but to go and censor or outright pull things from the past just seems so silly. Learn from what happened and explain why something isn’t right instead of just brushing it under the rug.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mike86:
bunkaroo (06-28-20), candyrocket786 (06-28-20), ddrknghtrtns (06-28-20), Sonny Corinthos (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

So removing an 8 second clip from The Office is considered progress? 🤣 Mine is still intact on my VUDU copy.

Now if they erase Tropic Thunder, South Park and Quentin Tarantino films from history, we're probably fucked.

They better not touch Justified or Nacho Libre.
Old 06-28-20, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I guess every episode of Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia will be removed.
Old 06-28-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Wouldn't it be better to work on fixing current problems rather than wringing ones hands about TV shows and movies from years ago and trying to retroactively "fix" them? That's just an easily applied band aid that doesn't address the larger problem, big whoop, we edited/removed some media, everything is all better now. That's the way this always goes and it solves little.
Old 06-28-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 425 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: Community -- #sixseasonsandaMOVIE -- news, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Dang, now they're pulling an episode of a show that I actually wanted to watch again:

https://www.thewrap.com/community-ad...lix-blackface/
Still intact in my complete series on iTunes... plus I have a backup copy. Still available for purchase on VUDU as well.
Old 06-28-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
People running to Amazon to panic buy the Community complete series Blu-Ray
I thought physical media was dead?
Old 06-28-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I thought physical media was dead?
I'm guessing piracy and sales in physical media will start to surge soon.

I wonder how far off we are from the introduction of the Tetragrammaton and Prosecution of Sense Offenses

Old 06-28-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I haven’t read all the posts, so I’m not sure if this has been said yet...

Maybe this is all a ploy by the studios to get consumers to purchase the physical media again, now that streaming services are removing select episodes.
Old 06-28-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Although I would have defended the way these shows used "blackface" as being making fun of racist thinking instead of being racist, seeing the number of shows that did this exact same joke now makes me realize it's really hacky and unoriginal, and shouldn't be done anymore for that reason alone.
Mabuse (06-29-20)
Old 06-28-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I haven’t read all the posts, so I’m not sure if this has been said yet...

Maybe this is all a ploy by the studios to get consumers to purchase the physical media again, now that streaming services are removing select episodes.
More likely to be a ploy to quickly clear their warehouses of old inventory collecting dust for a long time.

Otherwise in the absence of current events, that inventory would eventually have been written off for tax purposes and subsequently sent straight to the garbage dump accordingly.
MLBFan24 (06-28-20)
Old 06-28-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Was watching Silver Spoons and this came up in an ep. should they ban this too?

Old 06-28-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: 30 Rock -- New 1 hour special coming to NBC -- 7/16/20

Originally Posted by Gizmo
All “owned” will still be owned. They won’t remove it from you. Pulling is beyond silly and childish. It’s a comedy.
Agree none of this stuff should be pulled. People are pussy's end of story...

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It happened int he past and just let it be.

We know Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon are not racists.
Sure...but everyone else that did it are??? For fucks sake.
Old 06-28-20, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Although I would have defended the way these shows used "blackface" as being making fun of racist thinking instead of being racist, seeing the number of shows that did this exact same joke now makes me realize it's really hacky and unoriginal, and shouldn't be done anymore for that reason alone.
One has to wonder why Fey and so many white liberal entertainers felt so comfortable performing ironic racism over and over and over again.

It reminds me of Spike Lee’s Bamboozled, which came out in 2000, way before white entertainers like Robert Downey Jr, Sarah Silverman and Tina Fey were using blackface to teach us about racism.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-28-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 08:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well there goes the episode of all in the family .
Old 06-28-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't agree with the pulling of episodes when a simple disclaimer at the beginning of the episode will suffice. To be honest, this just feels like another way of whitewashing history. The fact is you made that episode, and it aired. You can't and shouldn't be able to erase that. It's not like blackface is something that just recently went out of fashion. All of a sudden now it's racially insensitive?

It's funny that Silver Spoons got brought up. Growing up in the 80s, my first exposure to the n word was just watching regular network TV. It was used on family shows. Hard to believe.
Old 06-28-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I don't agree with the pulling of episodes when a simple disclaimer at the beginning of the episode will suffice. To be honest, this just feels like another way of whitewashing history. The fact is you made that episode, and it aired. You can't and shouldn't be able to erase that. I
They aren't erasing anything. They made it and you watched it. End of story. They have zero obligation to provide anyone with a copy of it.
Old 06-28-20, 10:21 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

They aren't erasing anything. They made it and you watched it. End of story. They have zero obligation to provide anyone with a copy of it.
This is just ridiculous semantics.

Refusing to allow people to view it (legally) is essentially an attempt to erase it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.