Reload this Page >

Barkskins -- National Geographic Drama Series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-30-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Synposis: Barkskins chronicles "the deforestation of the New World from the arrival of English and French colonists into the contemporary era of global warming through the stories of two immigrants in New France, René Sel and Charles Duquet, who work as wood-cutters ('barkskins') and of their descendants."

Saw TV promos for this, looks interesting. Debuted on May 25th. Has a 67% on RT
Old 05-31-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: Barkskins -- National Geographic Drama Series

I've seen the first two episodes. The most recognizable name in it is Matthew Lilliard. It does paint an accurate picture of how rough life was for settlers in the New World. Barkskins relies very heavily on familiar genre tropes common to this setting. All the characters are fairly predictable, which makes guessing the plot rather easy.

The first two episodes were so-so, though the action did heat up near the end of the second episode.
Old 06-03-20, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although this is a "limited" series, I'm assuming they plan to have multiple seasons. The book is gigantic and covers many generations up to almost the present day. The series so far has dealt only with that first generation. So perhaps a generation (maybe two) a season?
Old 06-03-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I've seen the first two episodes. The most recognizable name in it is Matthew Lilliard. It does paint an accurate picture of how rough life was for settlers in the New World. Barkskins relies very heavily on familiar genre tropes common to this setting. All the characters are fairly predictable, which makes guessing the plot rather easy.

The first two episodes were so-so, though the action did heat up near the end of the second episode.
Really? I instantly knew David Thewlis and Marcia Gay Harden before realizing Matthew Lillard was also in this.

Interesting show so far. Has the feels of Michael Mann's Last of the Mohicans movie, with the setting, location, and all.
Old 06-06-20, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Marcia Gay Harden kind of blends into her role, I didn't even recognize her at first. But I get your point.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first week, but the next two episodes were better. The series is sprawling with maybe too many characters.
Old 06-07-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having recently binged "Frontier" on Netflix I'm having a hard time keeping the shows separate in my mind since they're so similar in location and era.
Old 06-07-20, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I keep reading that title as “Bareskins” and my mind goes in a completely wrong direction...
Old 06-07-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Marcia Gay Harden kind of blends into her role, I didn't even recognize her at first. But I get your point.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first week, but the next two episodes were better. The series is sprawling with maybe too many characters.
She’s a great actress overall, so it’s nice seeing her in this. Yeah, too many characters running around right now.