DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount +) -- News and Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650512-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-paramount-news-rumors.html)

DJariya 05-15-20 10:09 AM

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount +) -- News and Rumors

https://deadline.com/2020/05/star-tr...ss-1202935510/

Also starring Ethan Peck as Spock and Rebecca Romijn as Number One

There you go, your Pike spin-off is coming. I’m guessing this will be for 2021.

DJariya 05-15-20 10:12 AM

re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount +) -- News and Rumors

Announcement promo

jpcamb 05-15-20 10:12 AM

Oh, that's cool. I'm on the tail end of season 1 of Discovery now and loved Anson Mount in Hell on Wheels. Now I'm looking forward to season 2 and the new series!

movieguru 05-15-20 10:27 AM

Another prequel!!! The main problem with this is we already know the fates of the main characters. I get the fealing this show will continually foreshadow Pike's fate rather than do anything interesting. Hopefully though, this will be more episodic like TOS or TNG and be more reminiscent of the feel of thos shows rather than have season long storylines.

Deftones 05-15-20 10:29 AM

Fuck yes!

TGM 05-15-20 10:49 AM

yessssss

milo bloom 05-15-20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13741719)
Another prequel!!! The main problem with this is we already know the fates of the main characters. I get the fealing this show will continually foreshadow Pike's fate rather than do anything interesting. Hopefully though, this will be more episodic like TOS or TNG and be more reminiscent of the feel of thos shows rather than have season long storylines.

They do make the comment about being a more hopeful kind of Trek, so that's a good sign there.

As for knowing the fates of the characters, we know the fate of Pike and Spock, and that's it. So at the least, we won't have to deal with dumb plots about either of them being in danger.

But we don't know Number One's fate, nor any other of the crew. So, we get to see Pike and Spock become the men we know, and we get to explore new characters.

I'm darned excited for this one, far more than the next season of Disco.

Mike86 05-15-20 11:35 AM

I’m cautious about getting excited for any new Star Trek. What I’ve seen of this version of Pike I like though. If this is done in more of an episodic classic Star Trek style I’ll give it a shot. That promo has me hopeful.

The Cow 05-15-20 11:59 AM

Bring it on!!!!

Meathead 05-15-20 01:02 PM

Hallelujah!!!

I do hope it's more episodic than a season long arc.

DJariya 05-15-20 01:04 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fc4277dbc.jpeg

According to this promo graphic, looks like it's being planned for Fall 2021.

movieguru 05-15-20 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13741742)
They do make the comment about being a more hopeful kind of Trek, so that's a good sign there.

As for knowing the fates of the characters, we know the fate of Pike and Spock, and that's it. So at the least, we won't have to deal with dumb plots about either of them being in danger.

But we don't know Number One's fate, nor any other of the crew. So, we get to see Pike and Spock become the men we know, and we get to explore new characters.

I'm darned excited for this one, far more than the next season of Disco.

We know the ship isn't in much danger either. They can't blow it up or have a lot happen to it. Was the Number One the same character as in the original pilot episode. I know they had Roddenburry's wife in the role but don't remember much about her otherwise. It's titled "Strange New Worlds" so it seems like it could imply that it will be more episodic in nature. I will give it a try, but I would prefer a Picard era series rather than continually going back to the pre TOS timeline.

Mike86 05-15-20 02:24 PM

Number One is Majel Barrett from the original TOS pilot episode The Cage. That’s all she’s referred to by. She didn’t reappear until Discovery as far as I know (she may have been in some novels but I’m not sure).

TGM 05-15-20 02:43 PM

this happened all because of Mount and how he portrayed that character. he's got to be fucking pumped right now.

Mike86 05-15-20 02:45 PM

It’s also another way to use the character of Spock more, which I’m sure worked in favor of the show being picked up.

Josh-da-man 05-15-20 03:32 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...15622353f0.gif

Tom Banjo 05-15-20 04:10 PM

Great news! I hope that it takes place post-Disco S2 rather than being set before that.

Giantrobo 05-15-20 06:00 PM

More Trek Shows :up:

johnnysd 05-15-20 09:53 PM

Super excited by this.

milo bloom 05-16-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13741900)
Great news! I hope that it takes place post-Disco S2 rather than being set before that.

we’ve got approximately 7-8 years before we bump into Kirk time so we could get several seasons of stories done, there’s no real need to go backwards in time (barring a few flashbacks here and there).

Tom Banjo 05-16-20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13742219)
we’ve got approximately 7-8 years before we bump into Kirk time so we could get several seasons of stories done, there’s no real need to go backwards in time (barring a few flashbacks here and there).

Exactly. And Pike now is aware of his eventual fate; I don’t want to go back to before that. I also hope that this is a little more episodic than recent Trek has been. This would be a good series to appeal to the part of the fanbase that misses having stand-alone episodes.

Trevor 05-17-20 09:02 AM

Another vote for more episodic.

Josh-da-man 05-17-20 03:56 PM

With the subtitle "Strange New Worlds," I would assume that we're going to get a more episodic, monster/planet/dilemma-of the week like TOS and TNG. I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of underlying arc structure (think Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but that's to be expected these days.

One thing I would like to see -- though I'll be shocked if they do it -- is to use an updated design of the TOS Klingons (make-up and costumes) if they have them appear in the series, sort of how they did the Tellarites and Andorians in DSC.

Also might be interesting if they had a young Ensign Scott in Engineering, but that would probably get folks crying "fan service." :lol:

Mike86 05-17-20 05:28 PM

I think in canon Spock is the only person who was a member of the Enterprise crew under Pike and stayed on board when Kirk became Captain. I’d love if we got alien designs that were closer to TOS instead of constant updates.

Really hoping that this series will have self contained episodes. If not I don’t think I’ll watch it.

TheMovieman 05-17-20 05:47 PM

Given I'm not paying for CBS All Access, won't be seeing this until it's released on Blu-ray, but like Mike, only if it's more episodic.