TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Disney+) -- docuseries -- premieres 5/4/20

Old 04-15-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,582 Posts
Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Disney+) -- docuseries -- premieres 5/4/20

Mandalorian Making of Documentary series coming to Disney + next month

https://ew.com/tv/the-mandalorian-do...uR1qC_XSuSwxhI

Some more Mandalorian content is coming to Disney+ next month.

The streaming service will debut an eight-episode docuseries on the breakout Star Wars drama series.

Titled Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, the show is billed as "an unprecedented look at the making of the series ... each chapter explores a different facet of the first live-action Star Wars television show through interviews, never-before-seen footage, and roundtable conversations hosted by [executive producer] Jon Favreau. Topics this season include the filmmaking process, the legacy of George Lucas’ Star Wars, how the cast brought the characters to life, the series’ groundbreaking technology, the artistry behind the show’s practical models, effects, and creatures, plus the creative influences, the iconic score, and connections to Star Wars characters and props from across the galaxy."

The project is also perhaps unique as it's not often an eight-episode documentary is made about a season of a TV show that was only eight episodes long.

While there's no mention of any Mandalorian season 2 content, it wouldn't be at all surprising if something looking ahead to the new season was included in the rollout.

Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian will premiere on Star Wars Day, May the Fourth.
Old 04-15-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian -- Star Wars -- News, rumors, etc. -- possible spoilers

The project is also perhaps unique as it's not often an eight-episode documentary is made about a season of a TV show that was only eight episodes long.

Doctor Who used to have a making-of show that produced an episode for every episode of the show made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_Confidential
Old 04-15-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 498 Likes on 220 Posts

Oh no. They're going to be 30 minutes long.
Old 04-17-20, 03:12 PM

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,203 Posts

I would imagine this will be a great doc. I’ve seen some YouTube videos about the tech they used for this (the virtual sets). It is really amazing and cutting edge stuff.
Old 04-17-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I would imagine this will be a great doc. Iíve seen some YouTube videos about the tech they used for this (the virtual sets). It is really amazing and cutting edge stuff.
It'll probably be interesting, but it seems like something made out of necessity, due to nothing being in production. They're likely pulling from the footage they were going to use for Blu-ray special features, so instead of 3-4 hours of special features, we're getting 8 episodes of a "show."

WB should put the LOTR appendixes up as its own show on HBO Max when it launches.

Actually, thinking about special features, adding commentaries to shows on Disney+ would be another way to extend the value. They could even be produced during the shutdown, just get the cast/crew on a Zoom chat as the episode plays, and record it.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (04-19-20)
Old 04-17-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

That's one thing I really miss about when I used to watch a ton of DVDs, commentaries.

I wish Netflix would release commentaries as alternate tracks for some of their stuff.

I really loved the Kevin Smith movies for their commentaries. So much fun to listen to.
Old 04-17-20, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 851 Likes on 697 Posts

Iíll watch the docu-series eventually. I donít have Disney+ active at the moment so not sure if Iíll reactivate just for that even though Iím sure itíll be interesting.
Old 04-19-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 676 Likes on 479 Posts

I dumped Disney+ a couple months back due to lack of stuff to watch but I'll definitely give the Mandalorian doc a watch when I pick it back up.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
That's one thing I really miss about when I used to watch a ton of DVDs, commentaries.

I wish Netflix would release commentaries as alternate tracks for some of their stuff.

I really loved the Kevin Smith movies for their commentaries. So much fun to listen to.
Yep. One of the problems with streaming. No commentaries, not alternate/director's cuts, etc. I got away from features for a long time just because every release was packed to the gills. There just isn't enough time to watch everything. Nowadays I've been enjoying diving into the features. Just a couple nights ago I watched Life of Pi and gave all the features a watch too. Totally unrelated, I had no idea they used a real tiger for a lot of the action. Color me impressed, I just assumed it was all CG.
Old 04-19-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Disney will release The Mandalorian on physical media eventually. Should still be a collectors market for a franchise like Star Wars.
Old 04-19-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 676 Likes on 479 Posts

^ I'm picturing a slick polished silver/steel steelbook of just the Mandalorian's helmet as the cover.
Old 04-19-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I hope Disney will release The Mandalorian on physical media eventually. Should still be a collectors market for a franchise like Star Wars.
They almost assuredly will, but not until Season 2 is out, or about to be released. At the moment, it's the main original show on the streaming service, and can still be used to lure in new subscibers.
Old 04-19-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
They almost assuredly will, but not until Season 2 is out, or about to be released. At the moment, it's the main original show on the streaming service, and can still be used to lure in new subscibers.
Yeah, I was figuring around season twoís premiere or possibly even after. Some services either donít release their shows at all or make you wait.
Old 04-19-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was figuring around season twoís premiere or possibly even after. Some services either donít release their shows at all or make you wait.
Can you name a service that hasn't released a show onto home video?
Old 04-19-20, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 459 Posts

Take my money please!!!

No, no ... I'll wait for the alternate IG-11 version ...
Old 04-20-20, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the Netflix shows donít come out I believe. Not just like their lame duck shows either. Like for instance I donít think something like Ozark, which has received a lot of acclaim has a home media release. I donít think all the Marvel shows got releases either (that may be in part due to the split between Disney and Netflix though).

I mean I get it though. These services want to sell you on their service and hope that you keep your subscription up so they keep getting your money versus selling copies when it may only be for a niche group of collectors. I think something like The Mandalorian should be likely as itíll sell to a wide audience most likely.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-20-20 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the Netflix shows donít come out I believe. Not just like their lame duck shows either. Like for instance I donít think something like Ozark, which has received a lot of acclaim has a home media release.
Ozark got a DVD release in Australia, all 3 seasons. While it has critical acclaim, I don't think it's one of their bigger hits.

Likewise, the Marvel shows on Netflix have had blu-ray releases in other countries.

The main thing is that Netflix doesn't have any blanket policy stopping shows from being released on home video. Whether a show does appears to depend on if the production company can get a home video distributor to release it, and I believe home video sales, especially of TV shows, have tanked in recent years, largely due to streaming. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt didn't get a home video release until an "entire series" set could be released.
Old 04-20-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,045 Likes on 790 Posts

Yeah, the physical market is crap. But Star Wars should still be considered a marketable property, I would love a nice fold out digibook style set for this series.
Old 04-20-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ozark got a DVD release in Australia, all 3 seasons. While it has critical acclaim, I don't think it's one of their bigger hits.

Likewise, the Marvel shows on Netflix have had blu-ray releases in other countries.

The main thing is that Netflix doesn't have any blanket policy stopping shows from being released on home video. Whether a show does appears to depend on if the production company can get a home video distributor to release it, and I believe home video sales, especially of TV shows, have tanked in recent years, largely due to streaming. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt didn't get a home video release until an "entire series" set could be released.
Yeah. I didnít mean there was a policy necessarily. I just meant it seems like some things donít come out to encourage people to just subscribe if they want to watch instead. Didnít check foreign releases I guess.

Youíre right though, the tv show home media market in general has largely went down I think. Even something with a pretty big fanbase like The Simpsons has had a hard time getting season sets out and has had big gaps between its last two releases after initially being told by Fox they were going to cease releasing the show at all.
Old 04-20-20, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,608 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I think all of the major ones have (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, All Access) but it's a really scattershot approach. And the production companies involved make it a complex situation; Netflix released "Stranger Things" itself, but others shows like "House of Cards" were released to home video by Lions Gate, who own the series.

Of all of the streaming originals that have received home video releases, I'm not sure how many of them were released to DVD/BR by the streamer itself, or the company that own the series.

There is a vested interest in the streamers wanting to keep their content exclusive to their platform, and with the decrease in interest in home video and tv on home video in particular, I would assume these things will become rarer and rarer as time goes on.

When it comes to The Mandalorian, I really don't know what Disney will do. Like I said, there's a vested interest in keeping these things exclusive to the streaming platform, and Disney seems like it would be one of the first studios to abandon home video. (They stopped putting out SHIELD and Agent Carter early on.)

There absolutely would be a market for The Mandalorian and Clone Wars Season 7 on home video (just like Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard) to hardcore fans who collect the home video releases of these properties.

I am anticipating (and not in a good way) that one of these days a blockbuster movie (like Frozen 3 or something similar) doesn't get a DVD/Blu-ray release is only available for home viewing by a digital purchase or streaming service, and that will be the death knell of DVD/Blu-ray.
Old 04-23-20, 09:03 AM

Old 04-23-20, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks awesome. Now I'm going to have to re-subscribe to Disney+ for a month to watch a making-of show.
Old 04-23-20, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Facebook.
Old 05-04-20, 08:36 AM

re: Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Disney+) -- docuseries -- premieres 5/4/20

I liked the first episode about directing. Half of it just felt like an episode of Dinner For Five. I wish Fav would bring that back.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Disney+) -- docuseries -- premieres 5/4/20

I liked the first episode about directing. Half of it just felt like an episode of Dinner For Five. I wish Fav would bring that back.
Agreed. The stories of how they got to this point and what they felt about the experience were worth watching. So ... if you're happy seeing directors, it's all good. If you're interested in directors actually filmmaking, not so much.
Old 05-08-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,582 Posts
Re: Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Disney+) -- docuseries -- premieres 5/4/20

The 2nd episode is up today.

I finally got a chance to see the 1st episode about directing and it was really interesting. I liked hearing from all the season 1 directors and also from Favreau.

Deborah Chow struck me as someone pretty interesting. I enjoyed how she said that she wants to direct things that she actually wants to watch like Sci-Fi and genre shows.

But overall it felt very relaxed, honest and conversational.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.