Television seasons you want to pretend don't exist

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Television seasons you want to pretend don't exist

Old 05-06-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Television seasons you want to pretend don't exist

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah I'm not sure I buy that either. There's no way Michael Richards was pulling $1m per episode of the Michael Richards show or Matt LeBlanc on Joey. Seinfeld, Friends and Big Bang Theory seem to show the opposite.
He said everyone below the showrunner level, though. I assume if you're one of the stars or been there from the beginning, you're being paid handsomely. Otherwise maybe it's better to get onto something that is going to last past the season?
Old 05-06-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think the problem with Game of Thrones Seasons 7 & 8 isn't that they existed but that they didn't exist long enough. Both seasons were rushed to fit into fewer episodes which caused drastic plot developments that were too abrupt or too simplified to get from point A to point B. With a proper 10 episodes per season for both Seasons 7 & 8, I think the storylines could've been solidly developed and the ending of the series would've been better. Basically, for me, the problem wasn't where the storylines went, it was the completely rushed way they got there.
I think that is partially true, but not to derail the topic, the problems with GOT Seasons 7 and 8 were deeper. As the seasons went along, the story diverged more and more from the books. Not in huge ways, but in significant enough ways that many of the characters were unique to the show. In addition the path to the end was quite different as well. The mistake that Benioff and Weiss made is that in the last 2 seasons they sort of shoehorned in the ending Martin originally planned, and that ending made literally no sense whatsoever for the characters as they were in the show. At all. So not only were they rushed, but also made no sense. Interestingly, it doesn't help that where Martin intended to go is pretty dumb too.

For those saying SNL has sucked for the last 22 years there are still a LOT of highlights. Example:

The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The SNL thing I think is selective memory. We remember the all time great skits, and forget the, well, forgettable ones. And there are so many terrible skits, there have been even with all time great casts.
Old 05-06-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah, terrible SNL skits have existed since the beginning, but there does seem to be less and less great ones then there used to be. Oh well, I still usually watch it.
Old 05-06-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
​​​​​​
​​​​​​I don't remember this episode or season! Did they perform the dance of joy at the ceremony?
They married their long-time blonde girlfriends. I remember almost nothing about the final season, aside from the awful series finale where they all go up in a hot air balloon to try to make one of the pregnant wives go into labor.
Old 05-06-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I watched the entire 13 episode run and ended up being a complete waste of time.
Old 05-06-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya

I watched the entire 13 episode run and ended up being a complete waste of time.
It was a waste of time long before that though. Just erase everything after season 1 and pretend for the season 1 finale they just ran out of money. what they did to Parkman... ugh.
Old 05-06-20, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Why is that? You'd think a hit show would have more money coming in and thus more money to pay people.
Writers and producers are viewed as fungible commodities in Hollywood. I am not talking about on-air talent. People behind the camera on a hit television show are tied to short contracts. Since most shows fail, studios don't want to be tied to the creative staff either in long contracts. They often stay on beyond the initial contract since many people like being comfortable and don't like job hopping, even if it pays better to jump ship.

This is why so much falls on the showrunner. They make the decisions on which staffers/producers need to be retained to keep a hit show going.
Old 05-06-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The it-was-all-a-dream season of "Dallas".
The Conners-win-the-lottery season of "Roseanne".
The first season of "Seinfeld".
The final season of "Wings".
The final season of "Dexter".
Every season of the "Will & Grace" reboot.
Old 05-07-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
They married their long-time blonde girlfriends. I remember almost nothing about the final season, aside from the awful series finale where they all go up in a hot air balloon to try to make one of the pregnant wives go into labor.

Even when it was good or funny I would never buy it on DVD or probably watch it again
Old 05-07-20, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think SNL in the early to mid 2000's was better than the cast with Will Ferrell and Co in the 90's

Brockmire Seasons 3-4

Old 05-07-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It was a waste of time long before that though. Just erase everything after season 1 and pretend for the season 1 finale they just ran out of money. what they did to Parkman... ugh.
I hate-watched 3.5 seasons of Heroes after the first, mainly just to complain with friends about how terribly they all used their powers. Parkman's power was mind-reading and he tried to sneak up on someone without bothering to find out if they knew he was there? Cool.

I'd forgotten there even was a Heroes: Reborn show.
Old 05-07-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I wanted to watch Reborn, if nothing, for Zachary Levi. Then the reviews started rolling in. . Been burned too many times by Tim Kring. Hard pass.
Old 05-07-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Even when it was good or funny I would never buy it on DVD or probably watch it again
This show along with ALF, stopped being funny when I turned 14.
Old 05-08-20, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like Full House though people wanted it back for some reason