DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hellraiser TV series in the works at HBO (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650379-hellraiser-tv-series-works-hbo.html)

DJariya 04-27-20 03:12 PM

Hellraiser TV series in the works at HBO

https://deadline.com/2020/04/hellrai...ot-1202918558/

EXCLUSIVE: HBO has made a deal to develop a series from the classic horror franchise Hellraiser, with Halloween helmer David Gordon Green set to direct the pilot and several more initial episodes that brings to the small screen for the first time the iconic pincushion-headed villain who heads a group of pasty-faced villains sent from hell, known as the Cenobites.

The series will be written by genre and action vets Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Gallactica, Daredevil, Heroes), and Michael Dougherty (X-Men United, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Trick r’ Treat). All of them will be executive producers alongside Farah Films’ Dan Farah, Vertigo Entertainment’s Roy Lee, along with Lawrence Kuppin and David Salzman and Panacea Entertainment’s Eric Gardner. Rough House Pictures partners Green, Danny McBride Jody Hill and Brandon James round out the EP team. Farah Films exec Andrew Farah, and Adam Salzman will also serve as co-exec producers.

Lee (It) and Farah (Ready Player One) put together the rights package last June, based on the Hellraiser film franchise hatched from Clive Barker’s novella The Hellbound Heart. The idea is to create an elevated continuation and expansion of the well-established Hellraiser mythology. It is by no means a remake, but rather assumes the past mythology to be a given. The centerpiece remains Pinhead, the pin cushion-headed merciless leader of the Cenobites, the formerly humans-turned-demons that live in an extra-dimensional realm and are activated through a puzzle box called the Lament Configuration. The Cenobites come from hell to harvest human souls and keep balance between good and evil.

The antagonist has remained a pop culture icon for 35 years and 10 films and all the attendant merchandising.

Landing Green is a coup. The filmmaker pivoted from Stronger, an inspiring drama at Jeff Bauman’s inspiring fight back from being losing his legs in the Boston Marathon explosion, and revamped the John Carpenter horror classic Halloween, making a $10 million budget film that grossed $255 million worldwide. He signed on to shoot the sequels Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends. He’s in post on the first one.

There is a separate Hellraiser film project in development at Spyglass that is unrelated to the series.

Mike86 04-27-20 03:51 PM

Re: Hellraiser TV series in the works at HBO

Not sure about a tv series for this franchise. I mean the movies ran out of steam pretty fast, so doing an HBO show that I would guess would be around 8-10 episodes per season seems hard to envision.

DJariya 04-27-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13731399)
Not sure about a tv series for this franchise. I mean the movies ran out of steam pretty fast, so doing an HBO show that I would guess would be around 8-10 episodes per season seems hard to envision.

I think this is in all likelihood will be a different Elseworld take with no tie ins to the movies. Start fresh from the beginning and origin of Pinhead and the box. This could work for long form storytelling.

Bill Needle 04-27-20 04:16 PM

This intrigues me.

Giantrobo 04-27-20 04:41 PM

Nice. Kinda wish it was an adult animated series like the great SPAWN from years ago but I'm still in.

Why So Blu? 04-27-20 05:54 PM

I also doubt that Pinhead will be in this. If anything, they may refer to him, or just explore hell properly -- sort of an expansion of Hellraiser II.

Goonies85 04-27-20 08:37 PM

Can't say I'm a fan of the series (even though I own both the Cube DVD/Blu-Ray box, as well as the Arrow release; the sets were really well-done and had some great extras, especially a great doc on Clive Barker), but I'll check out almost anything that David Gordon Green is involved in. He's had a few misfires (Your Highness comes to mind...but I've also kind of cooled on his Halloween movie, even though I'll still check out the sequels), but for the most record he has a pretty great track record. So I'm intrigued...

Josh-da-man 04-28-20 12:06 AM

I have long believed that Hellraiser is probably the most expansive and interesting horror franchise out there. It's based around a mythology rather than a single entity.

Unfortunately, it's been underutilized and underserved by the movies.

Just think about all of the crazy shit they could do with it.

A story set in WWII involving Nazis trying to tap into the lament configuration.
A story set in the old West involving Native American lore.
A story set during the Inquisition.
A science fiction story set in a cyberpunk setting.
A science fiction story set on a spaceship. (Event Horizon could easily have been a Hellraiser entry.)

Gunde 04-28-20 04:15 AM

Yes, please!

Giantrobo 04-28-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13731676)
I have long believed that Hellraiser is probably the most expansive and interesting horror franchise out there. It's based around a mythology rather than a single entity.

Unfortunately, it's been underutilized and underserved by the movies.

Just think about all of the crazy shit they could do with it.

A story set in WWII involving Nazis trying to tap into the lament configuration.
A story set in the old West involving Native American lore.
A story set during the Inquisition.
A science fiction story set in a cyberpunk setting.
A science fiction story set on a spaceship. (Event Horizon could easily have been a Hellraiser entry.)

Agree 100% :up: The Mythology is what always fascinated me.

robin2099 04-28-20 11:50 AM

This could actually work pretty well. The Boom Studios(I think it was them anyway) comic book series did a good job on focusing on the mythology of it and was actually pretty strong. The problem with the Hellraiser movies is they came out during the horror icon period where every movie needed a horror icon. With Pinhead being so memorable they chose to focus on him to the detriment of the mythology.

PhantomStranger 04-29-20 02:05 PM

Yeah, I doubt Pinhead will be a heavy focus of this planned series. Can't wait to see HBO mangle another beloved genre property.

dex14 10-30-20 04:55 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Clive Barker has joined the Exec Producing team of HBO’s developing series adaptation of his classic horror franchise, Hellraiser. Deadline broke in April that Halloween helmer David Gordon Green is on board to direct the initial episodes.

The series will be written by Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica) and Michael Dougherty (Trick r’ Treat) with Verheiden running the show. They will be executive producers alongside Farah Films’ Dan Farah (Ready Player One), Vertigo Entertainment’s Roy Lee (IT), Rough House Pictures partners Green, Danny McBride Jody Hill and Brandon James (Halloween), as well as Panacea’s Eric Gardner, Lawrence Kuppin, David Salzman, and Marc Toberoff. Farah Films exec Andrew Farah, and Adam Salzman will also serve as co-exec producers.

Based on the Hellraiser horror franchise and Clive Barker’s novel The Hellbound Heart, the series is planned as an elevated continuation of the existing Hellraiser mythology. The franchise has been a global pop-culture phenomenon for over thirty years and one of the scariest. Aside from 10 films, the franchise has also spawned a book anthology, comic books, and global merchandise apparel.

Barker said he was “delighted the Hellraiser mythology is seeing a new life. It’s time the stories went back to their roots. I’m eager to bring to a new audience the most powerful and ancient elements of horror: the darkest evil invading our human lives and how we must find in ourselves the power to resist it.”

Dan Farah was instrumental in bringing Clive Barker and his rights into the project through Marc Toberoff. Farah said “Hellraiser started with Clive’s imagination and we couldn’t be more excited to have him on board.”
https://deadline.com/2020/10/clive-b...on-1234606166/

Mike86 11-02-20 07:13 PM

I wasn’t sure about the idea of a series at first, but the more I think about it and reading ideas of people here there could be potential for some interesting stories in the Hellraiser universe.

I mean Bloodline had some good ideas. It just want a great film. If the show does something similar with different time periods involving the puzzle box it could be good.

Plus now having Clive Barker involved definitely makes this more interesting. I didn’t love David Gordon Green’s Halloween, but the film was well made, and I think he can bring something to this series. I’m down to give it a try. Too bad it’s doubtful that Doug Bradley would be Pinhead though.