Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Old 04-25-20, 11:39 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Goldberg74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 17,209
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome -- H: Brad Pitt -- MG: Miley Cyrus

No clue on the host or musical guest, but here's to another week of #SNLAtHome.



Season 45 (2019-2020)

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-02-20 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added Host and MG to the title. ;)
Old 04-25-20, 02:53 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 8,948
Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

This one will be interesting because the 4/11 show was very much a late decision, and the content had a hand-made, thrown-together charm to it.

Now, they all have had two weeks to think about things to do, and the audience knows it, so the bar will be higher.

I'll just add that I had no intention of watching Tiger King until Chloe Fineman's sketch, and then I figured I had to see what this thing was all about. Binged the whole thing on Sunday and Monday.
Old 04-25-20, 03:06 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 56,346
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

I will try to temper my expectations as much as I can.
Old 04-25-20, 03:14 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 8,948
Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I will try to temper my expectations as much as I can.
I just hope for Paff's sake that whoever they get as a musical guest does not try to move around on camera.
Old 04-25-20, 07:09 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 16,717
Received 207 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Maybe there will be no deadline for the end of the season since nobody can go on vacation in the Summer and maybe there will be political stuff to cover in that period and these shows might not be that costly to produce.
Old 04-25-20, 07:38 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,535
Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I just hope for Paff's sake that whoever they get as a musical guest does not try to move around on camera.
You must have missed my comment on the previous "at home" installment; I praised the Chris Martin performance (even though I hate Chris Martin). This format is right up my alley, with the loss of video "tricks" and sole reliance on musical performance.
Old 04-25-20, 10:15 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 8,948
Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
You must have missed my comment on the previous "at home" installment; I praised the Chris Martin performance (even though I hate Chris Martin). This format is right up my alley, with the loss of video "tricks" and sole reliance on musical performance.
Yeah, you praised CM, who just sat there. Exactly what I was saying. Take the shout out.
Old 04-25-20, 10:21 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 8,948
Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Maybe there will be no deadline for the end of the season since nobody can go on vacation in the Summer and maybe there will be political stuff to cover in that period and these shows might not be that costly to produce.
They usually do 21 episodes and this is #17.
They might get another 1 or even 2 done in May, but there is no way any of them are hanging around to do shows into June.
Old 04-25-20, 10:44 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 35,738
Received 332 Likes on 244 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

I liked the opening with Brad Pitt. Nice shoutout to Dr. Fauci at the end.
Old 04-25-20, 10:54 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 570
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

So far it seems much more polished than the last episode. Hope it maintains it.
Old 04-25-20, 11:04 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,535
Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Yeah, I was just about to say how polished it is, with multiple camera angles being used.

Seven Meat Sancocho - The dish that PETA calls... "a genocide"
Old 04-25-20, 11:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 570
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

I wasn't expecting a Pink Floyd cover by Miley Cyrus.
Old 04-25-20, 11:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 533
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Watching the cast in their homes its a bit disappointing to see how most of them appear to live in LA. (or someplace in California based on the landscaping in the background and palm trees)

I just always assumed the cast lived in New York City at least during the TV season while the show is on. That IS the illusion the show is trying to give us isn't it? These are all a bunch of young dynamic New Yorkers living in the Big Apple doing topical sketch comedy and providing cutting social commentary.

Maybe that was the way things were back in the 70s but now it seems the cast all is based in LA so they can do shitty movie cameos and just fly in to NY for the weeks the show is live.

Why doesn't the network just save the money and do the show from LA? Maybe after Lorne finally leaves they will...
Old 04-25-20, 11:33 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,016
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
I wasn't expecting a Pink Floyd cover by Miley Cyrus.
Especially with the guy from Jersey Shore on guitar.
Old 04-25-20, 11:43 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 35,701
Likes: 0
Received 1,542 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Watching the cast in their homes its a bit disappointing to see how most of them appear to live in LA. (or someplace in California based on the landscaping in the background and palm trees)

I just always assumed the cast lived in New York City at least during the TV season while the show is on. That IS the illusion the show is trying to give us isn't it? These are all a bunch of young dynamic New Yorkers living in the Big Apple doing topical sketch comedy and providing cutting social commentary.

Maybe that was the way things were back in the 70s but now it seems the cast all is based in LA so they can do shitty movie cameos and just fly in to NY for the weeks the show is live.

Why doesn't the network just save the money and do the show from LA? Maybe after Lorne finally leaves they will...
Who are you talking about? Kenan splits time between NYC and Florida.
Old 04-25-20, 11:55 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trencher's Farm
Posts: 2,033
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Definitely upped the production value on this one, and less hit and miss this time. But I sure miss the live audience.
Old 04-26-20, 01:52 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,140
Received 740 Likes on 544 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Weekend Update was kind of disturbing without the audience. Without anyone laughing, it was like watching the nightly news from a dystopian hellscape. Oh, wait...

I did like the AirBnB commerical with the European girl who wouldn't leave and was doing naked yoga in the yard. I'm easy that way.

And the supermarket commercial where they're trying to sell off all of the shitty stuff nobody wants. And I ed at the BBQ home meal kit that consisted of a live 400lb hog, a bottle of barbecue sauce, and a butcher knife.

My second favorite line of the night was Pete Davidson saying that he washed his hands before he masturbates after an incident involving Flaming Hot Cheetos.

Old 04-26-20, 05:36 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 16,717
Received 207 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

It is depressing watching the closing credits with the dark studio.

Still SNL in this format is better than none and you get the 10pm repeat of a old or classic show.

I guess the theme now is to get a contemporary artist to butcher a classic song.

They usually do 21 episodes and this is #17.
They might get another 1 or even 2 done in May, but there is no way any of them are hanging around to do shows into June.
They will have nothing else to do and no stand up gigs during the summer unless the quarantine ends or they do gigs in Florida and Georgia though they might be hated in the South,
Old 04-26-20, 11:13 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 533
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Who are you talking about? Kenan splits time between NYC and Florida.
I didn't know that bout Kenan, just assumed it was LA based on palm trees in his sketches. The rest I'm basing on what we see in the background of their skits

Beck Bennet - based on his backyard vegetation obviously not in NYC
Kyle Mooney - probably California based on palm trees behind him
Melissa Villasenor - wherever she is living is made of stucco so probably LA
Chloe Fineman - tropical vegetation in yard of where she is, probably LA

Michael Che- I assume he lives in city, he seems like a die hard New Yorker
Pete Davidson- Well known that he still lives in Staten Island with his mother

the rest of the cast hasn't revealed enough in their skits to tell...not really that big a deal...just pointing it out
I don't blame them for living elsewhere, NYC is expensive as hell
Old 04-26-20, 01:02 PM
  #20  
MrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,973
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Liked Pete’s joke during WU about how Jost gets to spend this time locked up with Scarlett so he probably hopes there’s never a cure
Old 04-26-20, 01:32 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,535
Received 327 Likes on 257 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
My second favorite line of the night was Pete Davidson saying that he washed his hands before he masturbates after an incident involving Flaming Hot Cheetos.
I thought the better Pete Davidson line was, "I can't believe I have to sanitize the health department memo on the same show that aired 'Dick in a Box'"
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (04-27-20)
Old 04-26-20, 02:17 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 41,883
Received 397 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
I didn't know that bout Kenan, just assumed it was LA based on palm trees in his sketches. The rest I'm basing on what we see in the background of their skits

Beck Bennet - based on his backyard vegetation obviously not in NYC
Kyle Mooney - probably California based on palm trees behind him
Melissa Villasenor - wherever she is living is made of stucco so probably LA
Chloe Fineman - tropical vegetation in yard of where she is, probably LA

Michael Che- I assume he lives in city, he seems like a die hard New Yorker
Pete Davidson- Well known that he still lives in Staten Island with his mother

the rest of the cast hasn't revealed enough in their skits to tell...not really that big a deal...just pointing it out
I don't blame them for living elsewhere, NYC is expensive as hell
LA is expensive as hell too, just not NYC expensive. Mooney, Fineman and Villasenor are Cali natives and probably do live in the area. Fineman just recovered from Covid-19.

Meanwhile Kenan went with Tampa where a million bucks buys you a giant 5 bedroom house on a canal with a dock, pool and boat lift.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-26-20 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 08:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 8,948
Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Maybe that was the way things were back in the 70s but now it seems the cast all is based in LA so they can do shitty movie cameos and just fly in to NY for the weeks the show is live.
They are actors and writers. And the entertainment industry in the US is based in LA. You do the math.
Old 04-26-20, 08:13 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,221
Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Watching the cast in their homes its a bit disappointing to see how most of them appear to live in LA. (or someplace in California based on the landscaping in the background and palm trees)

I just always assumed the cast lived in New York City at least during the TV season while the show is on. That IS the illusion the show is trying to give us isn't it? These are all a bunch of young dynamic New Yorkers living in the Big Apple doing topical sketch comedy and providing cutting social commentary.

Maybe that was the way things were back in the 70s but now it seems the cast all is based in LA so they can do shitty movie cameos and just fly in to NY for the weeks the show is live.

Why doesn't the network just save the money and do the show from LA? Maybe after Lorne finally leaves they will...
No one thinks that.
Everyone knows they are actors who work in NY during the show’s season.
Old 04-26-20, 08:18 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 20,221
Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: SNL 04/25/20 (S45E17) -- SNL #SNLAtHome

Weekend Update was weird.
One would think Michael Che would know where to look when he’s trying to look at a camera lense.

btw ever since that thing with Che bullying that comedian I don’t enjoy anything he says.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.