DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Prop Culture (Disney+) -- premieres 5/1/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650361-prop-culture-disney-premieres-5-1-20-a.html)

dex14 04-24-20 01:17 PM

Prop Culture (Disney+) -- premieres 5/1/20

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f4a399831a.jpg

Discover the beloved artifacts behind some of your favorite Disney films in Prop Culture, an Original Series. All episodes streaming May 1 on Disney Plus.

DJariya 04-24-20 01:28 PM

Re: Prop Culture (Disney+) -- premieres 5/1/20

Sounds cool. I'll check it out. I like these types of documentaries. Also looking forward to the Mandalorian documentary series on the 4th.

cultshock 04-25-20 01:45 PM

Yeah, this sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Gizmo 04-25-20 09:21 PM

Do they plan on doing any scripted shows...like, ever? Or is it just Disney-propaganda documentaries? This shit is getting old.

dex14 04-25-20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13730382)
Do they plan on doing any scripted shows...like, ever? Or is it just Disney-propaganda documentaries? This shit is getting old.

There have been two other scripted shows, but nothing as high profile as The Mandalorian.

DJariya 04-25-20 09:39 PM

Kind of hard to get stuff out while Hollywood is completely shut down at the moment.

Most of the future scripted shows are coming late 2021 and 2022.

Gizmo 04-25-20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13730390)
Kind of hard to get stuff out while Hollywood is completely shut down at the moment.

Most of the future scripted shows are coming late 2021 and 2022.

Disney + has been touted for years, this isn’t just some random start up. They should have many shows in the can, like Netflix who will have no issues in 2020.

even before the shutdown, they had next to nothing. What a weird way to try and continue a service. Maybe they just don’t give a shit when a huge base already prepaid for 3 years or getting it free from Verizon.

at least we have theatrical failures coming to the service

Original Desmond 04-28-20 10:56 AM

real shame it's limited to Disney films (understandable of course)

Deftones 04-28-20 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13730393)
Disney + has been touted for years, this isn’t just some random start up. They should have many shows in the can, like Netflix who will have no issues in 2020.

even before the shutdown, they had next to nothing. What a weird way to try and continue a service. Maybe they just don’t give a shit when a huge base already prepaid for 3 years or getting it free from Verizon.

at least we have theatrical failures coming to the service

Is there anything you don't feel the need to shit on?

Giantrobo 04-28-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13731843)

^This. His posts are tiresome.

Gizmo 04-28-20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13731843)

A streamer charming a monthly service with next to nothing in new scripted fare? Sure, I'll shit all over it.

Inhumans99 04-28-20 01:11 PM

Thanks for noticing the cranky old man in this thread (aka Gizmo). I had a really long post planned but the TL Didn't Read version boiled down to Netflix had tons of gripes in its early days of going hard to ween folks off DVDs and onto streaming only.

At least with D+ while they work on original tv shows like the Marvel stuff we get original films like Star Girl, Togo, Noelle, and others all of which have their merits. We also get lots of classic films that were only accessible to an average Joe like me if I joined their Movie Club (and like lots of folks I never did) such as Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, Pollyanna, etc.. Disney has such a deep bench of films and with their acquisition of Fox it added even more content so there is stuff to enjoy as long as you know that hard PG-13/R films will never show up in D+. You also have to be willing to accept possible digital blurring of content (such as Darryl Hannah's derriere).

If is definitely not a service that everyone will get a lot of value out of but if you had done a bit of research ahead of time you would have know what you were in for when you paid for the service (which seems very easy to cancel, if you are so inclined...unlike trying to cancel my cable service which would force me to speak with folks and jump through lots of hoops).

Hi Gizmo, yes...I called you a cranky old man, with a bit of affection so it is all hugs.

Lots of Netflix content is meh or very hard to find without it showing up in one of their because you watched this we recommend the following type lists. Also, if the be all end all of going with D+ for you is that all you care about is original content than my understanding is that you can indeed cancel.

Now, if you and others who complain are annoyed because you paid for 3 years well, I did too but no one forced me to lock-in. Can't customer service recover some of what you paid if you cancel well before 3 years is up?

dex14 05-01-20 03:20 PM

All 8 episodes are now up.

TomOpus 05-01-20 06:12 PM

Halfway through and enjoying it. Each episode covers one movie (sometimes their sequels) and they're only 30-mins long.

TomOpus 05-01-20 08:50 PM

Just saw the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" episode and Rick Moranis hasn't changed much.

The Questyen 05-09-20 10:12 PM

This is a really entertaining series. Even the episodes where I'm not a huge fan of the movie are filled with interesting stuff.

TomOpus 05-09-20 10:21 PM

Whew, thought I was the only one watching.

The Questyen 05-09-20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13738804)
Whew, thought I was the only one watching.

My wife and I are big Disneyland fans so we've watched most of the Disney related docs on Disney+ (Insider, One Day at Disney, The Imagineering Story, etc). I've liked all of them.

Inhumans99 05-10-20 02:03 PM

This is great...have watched 6 episodes. Also, Anna Popplewell...such poise and holy cow she is beyond adorable.

Mabuse 05-11-20 03:16 PM

The Tron episode is great. Amazing stuff they found and great participation by Boxlietner and Lisberger!

He Who Lurks No More 05-13-20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13739643)
The Tron episode is great. Amazing stuff they found and great participation by Boxlietner and Lisberger!

TomOpus buried the lead..to get Rick Moranis for this! Kathleen Turner to a lesser extent.

emachine12 05-13-20 03:48 PM

The Tron episode is the best so far. Steven Lisberger starts his discussion with a lot of rightful bitterness but as he begins to see & realize what he helped accomplish, he becomes more warmer and open.

bluetoast 05-13-20 07:28 PM

I’ve only seen two so far, but the host is pretty good, and really brings his passion to the table. I really don’t give a shit about the shrink ray though, I wanted to see like giant Cheerios and mini couches. :lol:

Hope there are more episodes in the future.

GoldenJCJ 05-13-20 07:32 PM

So far I’ve enjoyed the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids episode the most. Mostly because we got to see Rick Moranis again. Seeing the child actors was pretty cool too. I always wondered happened to Jared Rushton. The dude could be brothers with Ben Foster.

tanman 05-17-20 04:30 AM

I loved this series. Can't wait for another season. I listened to a podcast featuring an interview with the host and I found it interesting how he specifically wanted a format that didn't emphasize dollar value (think pawn stars) but instead focused on what the props meant to those who worked on the film. It really is a wonderful concept. It's not really a series about props. It's a love story to those who worked on these films. I saved the Mary Poppins episode for last as I have the most connection with that film and I wasn't disappointed. It was great that the host actually helped the Disney archive obtain an original carousel horse for them to have. The last part seeing Richard Sherman playing feed the birds in Walt's old office on a piano that only he can play evoked a tear or two from me.

My wish list for season 2:
Star Wars (of course they'll do this one)
Indiana Jones (also likely to happen)
Rocketeer
The Sound of Music
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

It would also be awesome to see a spin off series about the props at the parks. Especially if he were to hunt down some of the old/missing pieces from defunct attractions.