Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Prop Culture (Disney+) -- premieres 5/1/20

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Prop Culture (Disney+) -- premieres 5/1/20

I don’t disagree with Gizmo about the lack of scripted shows.
back a year or so ago when we first heard about D+ and the word about all the marvel shows going to be on it I was thrilled.
Then the air dates started to come out and it’s 2021 and 2022 for many shows.

Biggest show disappointment is the terrible Pixar In Real Life.

5 minute episodes and it took forever for more then one to show up.

Anyway Pop Culture is really good.
I really enjoy these kind of shows.

Wouldnt mind one that shows us more details on how they found some of these props and who they came from.

Last edited by whotony; 05-21-20 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 11:00 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I haven't seen all the episodes, but so far I'm disappointed. I was expecting them hunting down "holy grail" props that nobody's seen for years. Long lost stuff that someone found in an attic or bought at a garage sale. Or maybe some movie sets that had been abandoned and left to rot in the middle of nowhere.

Instead they just pull stuff out of a giant prop warehouse. Some of it was on display in the theme parks. Everything's properly labeled and just sitting on a shelf.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-21-20 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

That’s exactly why I said I’d like a show about how they found someone long lost props.
Old 05-29-20, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I haven't seen all the episodes, but so far I'm disappointed. I was expecting them hunting down "holy grail" props that nobody's seen for years. Long lost stuff that someone found in an attic or bought at a garage sale. Or maybe some movie sets that had been abandoned and left to rot in the middle of nowhere.

Instead they just pull stuff out of a giant prop warehouse. Some of it was on display in the theme parks. Everything's properly labeled and just sitting on a shelf.
Originally Posted by whotony
That’s exactly why I said I’d like a show about how they found someone long lost props.
But it's not about the hunt on this particular show. It's about the connection that those involved with the movie have with the props. I like it as it's a unique angle and doesn't just become American Pickers but with props. It's much more emotional and satisfying then you would expect it to be. It's similar to The Toys That Made Us.
Old 05-29-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I totally get what whotony is saying regarding the type of show some folks might have been expecting and while I might get a kick out of seeing more props hunted down/discovered in the wild I have taken a shine to the show for the reason that tanman points out.

Also, it makes me a bit sad that so many classic props from films are sealed up in crates in a warehouse on some studio lot never to be displayed again, somehow that just feels...wrong.

On the other hand seeing classic props properly restored, conversations with some actors/actresses and film workers who say purposely keep themselves out of the press (such as Rick Moranis), or might not get a lot of press because they are not a movie star (the sword guy who has an awesome and unusual job and I would have never been aware of if not for this show), and the reunion of actors like those from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Honey I Shrunk The Kids sharing their memories of being on set makes this a very neat show to watch.

I know Disney is a giant behemoth corporation so it is easy to cut them less slack but I feel a lot of the blame for original programming/films not showing up on D+ at a faster pace can indeed be laid at the feet of the pandemic and while this may lead to a flood of new content showing up much later this year and next that is hard to keep up with I am patient and look forward to eventually pulling an Oldboy and asking the forum for advice for what to watch on D+ due to their being so much stuff to choose from (lol...you know we love you oldboy).
The following users liked this post:
whotony (06-11-20)
Old 05-30-20, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Also, it makes me a bit sad that so many classic props from films are sealed up in crates in a warehouse on some studio lot never to be displayed again, somehow that just feels...wrong.
I would rather it be in the hands of the studio then private collectors. Not that there's anything wrong with private collectors but most likely you'd never see those props again. Disney has actually been pretty good recently of spreading the love and showing some of their props with fans through shows like this and D23 expos where they display a lot of unseen props from movies or the theme parks. I personally would love to see them build a museum. I know there's the Walt Disney family museum (which I really want to go to) but it would be nice to see a dedicated museum for the Walt Disney company with all of these props on display.
Old 06-01-20, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I enjoyed the show. And it got me to watch the first two Narnia films.
Old 06-05-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure how many finds of props happen at yard sales and flea markets these days, so if that was the premise it probably wouldn't go very far. This kind of stuff is usually locked up in "black hole" collections (i.e. they are never seen) or hoarded away by studios who don't even know what they have and aren't interested in selling them (unless they need to start raising some quick cash due to the current situation )
Old 06-05-20, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Watching this now. Why do they refer to A Nightmare Before Christmas as a "1991 movie"? It came out in 1993.
Old 06-06-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Watching this now. Why do they refer to A Nightmare Before Christmas as a "1991 movie"? It came out in 1993.
I don't know. Ask them?
Old 06-08-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Windom, I think that date refers to a short film that started in 1991 that would eventually be turned into a feature length film.