Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/20

Old 04-17-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

From Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks and Recreation) comes Upload, a new sci-fi comedy. In the near future, people who are near death can be "uploaded" into virtual reality environments. Cash-strapped Nora works customer service for the luxurious "Lakeview" digital afterlife. When party-boy/coder Nathan's car crashes, his girlfriend uploads him into Nora's VR world.

This premieres May 1st. It's a 10 episode season.

I had no idea this show existed until I happened to see the trailer on YouTube. It looks awesome.
Old 05-01-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/2

Bump

this premieres today

Old 05-01-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
Re: Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/2

We are 2 episodes in.. So far good start!
Old 05-03-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really enjoyed ep1. Iíve started several new shows in the past week and this one impressed me the most.
Old 05-05-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Binged it. Robbie Amell was his usual decent self, the lead actress is beautiful but can’t really act. the plot is contrived, inconsistent and doesn’t really make much sense.

If it gets a season 2 I don’t know if I’ll watch it.
Old 05-08-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/upload-...ls-1202929763/
Old 05-08-20, 12:32 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

I finished this yesterday. It was just ok.
Old 05-08-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 episodes in, enjoying it for the most part.

Nothing in particular stands out, the premise is interesting, acting is ok, kind of funny, but its a short east watch, which is sometimes good enough.
Old 05-08-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

It's fun and sweet and light.
Old 05-09-20, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They could have taken it places, made it edgy, but they decided not to for whatever reason.

It's kind of boring.
Old 05-09-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hadn't seen anything about this. I may check it out.
Old 05-16-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
It's fun and sweet and light.
+1

I just finished it this morning. It was a nice, fun diversion from some of the other shows I'm watching.

It's got a good premise and I like some of the ways they explore the concept of a 'digital afterlife.' The capitalist dystopia aspect of it is a good target for satire, which the show pulls off well with the individual advertisements, premium packages, and the 2-Gig data plan. The dilemma of a live person (Nora and/or Ingrid) having a romantic relationship with an Upload (Nathan) is an interesting idea that the show goes into a bit, but maybe glosses over too much.

The humor can be hit-and-miss. I kind of like some of the absurdist stuff, like the weird red-headed bellhop/concierge/waiter guy in Lakeview. But some of it just doesn't make sense, like some of the Lakeview residents whose avatars were created from black-and-white photos and so their avatars are black-and-white. WTF? Like they can upload a person's brain into a digital virtual reality, but they can't colorize an old image? Also, some of the broad comedy is pretty silly, like farts that smell nice, the guy in the little boy's body waking up as a woman, and Luke's 'Angel' taking his fingers and dick away to teach him a lesson.

I like the lead actors and the characters they play. 'Nathan' is likable and genuine. 'Nora' is sweet and kind-hearted and very charming. Both Nora and Ingrid are freakin' gorgeous.

The more I think about it, the more the satiric and slight absurdist aspect of this show reminds me of the movie 'Downsizing.' Downsizing is more clever and not so goofy as this, but there are some parallels.

I'm glad to hear it was renewed for a season 2. I'll definitely watch more of this.
Old 05-17-20, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We enjoyed it but it did seem a bit sad to be an upload (as they indicated with the 2Gs and the kid who couldn't grow up [the XX tattoo bit was fun]) so surpised the fiance killed herself to be with him. Yikes.
Old 05-18-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Fun show overall. Did anyone else notice that the scenes in the resort were super over saturated? I have to assume this was by choice but it was annoying. Everyone's skin looked bright red.
Old 05-29-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife and i binged this over the weekend and really liked it. will be up for watching season 2. I was surprised to learn the female lead was in Prince's band since 2011. I most likely just saw her in a few music videos as I was watching a mini-marathon of Prince live performances a few weeks ago.
Old 05-31-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

I finished this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Folks saying that this is "sweet and light" is a weird statement to make. This shit is actually creepy and dark. Add to the mix that it's also a murder-mystery and you get even more layers added to the overall product.

I mean, just look at the way you get uploaded into the database.
Spoiler:
They literally shred your head and absorb it into some sort of collective device and dump your headless corpse into an ice container for storage.

Maybe because it's quite funny, folks feel it's light and fluffy? Bring on season 2!
Old 05-31-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy View Post
We enjoyed it but it did seem a bit sad to be an upload (as they indicated with the 2Gs and the kid who couldn't grow up [the XX tattoo bit was fun]) so surpised the fiance killed herself to be with him. Yikes.
I think that's part of what is their norm, to be uploaded. Which is why Nora has a hard time with her father's wish to just die. It plays on our dependency of social media.