Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/20

Old 04-17-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,218 Posts

From Greg Daniels (The Office, Parks and Recreation) comes Upload, a new sci-fi comedy. In the near future, people who are near death can be "uploaded" into virtual reality environments. Cash-strapped Nora works customer service for the luxurious "Lakeview" digital afterlife. When party-boy/coder Nathan's car crashes, his girlfriend uploads him into Nora's VR world.

This premieres May 1st. It's a 10 episode season.

I had no idea this show existed until I happened to see the trailer on YouTube. It looks awesome.
Old 05-01-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/2

Bump

this premieres today

Old 05-01-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Upload (Amazon) -- S: Robbie Amell -- Sci-Fi comedy from the creator of The Office -- Premieres 5/1/2

We are 2 episodes in.. So far good start!
Old 05-03-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Really enjoyed ep1. Iíve started several new shows in the past week and this one impressed me the most.
Old 05-05-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 276 Likes on 221 Posts

Binged it. Robbie Amell was his usual decent self, the lead actress is beautiful but can’t really act. the plot is contrived, inconsistent and doesn’t really make much sense.

If it gets a season 2 I don’t know if I’ll watch it.
Old 05-08-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Renewed:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/upload-...ls-1202929763/
Old 05-08-20, 12:32 PM

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,785 Posts

I finished this yesterday. It was just ok.
Old 05-08-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

4 episodes in, enjoying it for the most part.

Nothing in particular stands out, the premise is interesting, acting is ok, kind of funny, but its a short east watch, which is sometimes good enough.
Old 05-08-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts

It's fun and sweet and light.
Old 05-09-20, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 276 Likes on 221 Posts

They could have taken it places, made it edgy, but they decided not to for whatever reason.

It's kind of boring.
Old 05-09-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Hadn't seen anything about this. I may check it out.
Old 05-16-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 499 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
It's fun and sweet and light.
+1

I just finished it this morning. It was a nice, fun diversion from some of the other shows I'm watching.

It's got a good premise and I like some of the ways they explore the concept of a 'digital afterlife.' The capitalist dystopia aspect of it is a good target for satire, which the show pulls off well with the individual advertisements, premium packages, and the 2-Gig data plan. The dilemma of a live person (Nora and/or Ingrid) having a romantic relationship with an Upload (Nathan) is an interesting idea that the show goes into a bit, but maybe glosses over too much.

The humor can be hit-and-miss. I kind of like some of the absurdist stuff, like the weird red-headed bellhop/concierge/waiter guy in Lakeview. But some of it just doesn't make sense, like some of the Lakeview residents whose avatars were created from black-and-white photos and so their avatars are black-and-white. WTF? Like they can upload a person's brain into a digital virtual reality, but they can't colorize an old image? Also, some of the broad comedy is pretty silly, like farts that smell nice, the guy in the little boy's body waking up as a woman, and Luke's 'Angel' taking his fingers and dick away to teach him a lesson.

I like the lead actors and the characters they play. 'Nathan' is likable and genuine. 'Nora' is sweet and kind-hearted and very charming. Both Nora and Ingrid are freakin' gorgeous.

The more I think about it, the more the satiric and slight absurdist aspect of this show reminds me of the movie 'Downsizing.' Downsizing is more clever and not so goofy as this, but there are some parallels.

I'm glad to hear it was renewed for a season 2. I'll definitely watch more of this.
Old 05-17-20, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We enjoyed it but it did seem a bit sad to be an upload (as they indicated with the 2Gs and the kid who couldn't grow up [the XX tattoo bit was fun]) so surpised the fiance killed herself to be with him. Yikes.
Old 05-18-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 291 Posts

Fun show overall. Did anyone else notice that the scenes in the resort were super over saturated? I have to assume this was by choice but it was annoying. Everyone's skin looked bright red.
Old 05-29-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

Wife and i binged this over the weekend and really liked it. will be up for watching season 2. I was surprised to learn the female lead was in Prince's band since 2011. I most likely just saw her in a few music videos as I was watching a mini-marathon of Prince live performances a few weeks ago.
Old 05-31-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 648 Likes on 504 Posts

I finished this yesterday and I really enjoyed it. Folks saying that this is "sweet and light" is a weird statement to make. This shit is actually creepy and dark. Add to the mix that it's also a murder-mystery and you get even more layers added to the overall product.

I mean, just look at the way you get uploaded into the database.
Spoiler:
They literally shred your head and absorb it into some sort of collective device and dump your headless corpse into an ice container for storage.

Maybe because it's quite funny, folks feel it's light and fluffy? Bring on season 2!
Old 05-31-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy View Post
We enjoyed it but it did seem a bit sad to be an upload (as they indicated with the 2Gs and the kid who couldn't grow up [the XX tattoo bit was fun]) so surpised the fiance killed herself to be with him. Yikes.
I think that's part of what is their norm, to be uploaded. Which is why Nora has a hard time with her father's wish to just die. It plays on our dependency of social media.
Old 01-20-22, 12:37 PM

Upload fans can hit refresh on Prime Video this spring as the comedy series from The Office creator Greg Daniels returns for Season 2.

Prime Video revealed that Upload season two, starring Robie Amell, Andy Allo, Zainab Johnson and more, will premiere on Friday, March 11. Created by Daniels, Upload, takes place in the near future, where people can be “uploaded” into a virtual afterlife of their choice. The series follows a young app developer, Nathan Brown (Amell), who winds up in the hospital following a self-driving car accident, needing to quickly decide his fate. After a rushed deliberation with his shallow girlfriend Ingrid (Edwards), he chooses to be uploaded to her family’s luxurious virtual afterlife, the Horizen company’s “Lakeview.”

Once uploaded, Nathan meets his customer service “Angel” Nora Anthony (Allo), who at first is his charismatic concierge and guide but quickly becomes his friend and confidante, helping him navigate this new digital extension of life.

Here is the logline for Season 2: “Nathan is at a crossroads in his (after) life… his ex-girlfriend Ingrid has unexpectedly arrived to Lakeview hoping to strengthen their relationship, but his heart still secretly yearns for his customer service angel Nora. Meanwhile Nora is off the grid and involved with the anti-tech rebel group ‘The Ludds.’ Season Two is packed with new near-future concepts, including Lakeview’s newest in-app digital baby program called, ‘prototykes,’ and other satirical glimpses of the technological advances and headaches to come.”

Upload also features Kevin Bigley, Allegra Edwards, Owen Daniels, Josh Banday and Andrea Rosen. Greg Daniels executive produces along with Howard Klein.

Prime Video also dropped a season one recap video.
https://deadline.com/2022/01/upload-...eo-1234915632/

The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Cellar Door (01-20-22), devilshalo (01-20-22), story (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh cool, I really liked this show! Looking forward to the new season!!
Old 01-20-22, 05:51 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

I like this one, too, though I'd honestly forgotten all about it. Glad it's coming back.
Old 01-21-22, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I was just thinking about this show the other day when I was browsing for something to watch. Really enjoyed season 1, glad its coming back.
Old 02-23-22, 09:38 AM

Old 02-23-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 609 Likes on 440 Posts

I might have to watch a few S1 episodes to get back into it.
Old 03-13-22, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 499 Likes on 307 Posts

Season 2 is available as of this past Friday. I've watched the first few episodes and so far so good. Ingrid is such a mess but she may be my favorite character. The actress does a great job of playing shallow and spoiled and obnoxious, but then has some breakthrough moments of humanity and compassion. The bellhop guy and his antics have grown on me. That must be a fun part to play for that actor.
Old 03-14-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know what the heck happened? I was on Episode 7 and it just sort of ends like a regular episode( in Season 2.) Are they dropping the last few episodes later or was this somehow a 7 ep season? The show is still pretty fun but I'm scratching my head here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.