DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Law & Order: Organized Crime (NBC) -- S: Chris Meloni as Elliot Stabler -- premieres 4/1/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650183-law-order-organized-crime-nbc-s-chris-meloni-elliot-stabler-premieres-4-1-21-a.html)

DJariya 03-31-20 02:24 PM

Law & Order: Organized Crime (NBC) -- S: Chris Meloni as Elliot Stabler -- premieres 4/1/21

https://deadline.com/2020/03/christo...vu-1202896323/

EXCLUSIVE: A beloved TV character is coming back. NBC has given a 13-episode series order to a new Dick Wolf crime drama series starring Christopher Meloni reprising his Law & Order: SVU role as Elliot Stabler. The drama, which marks the actor’s return to Wolf World, revolves around the NYPD organized crime unit led by Stabler (Meloni). It is the first show to come out of the massive new five-year, nine-figure, multi-platform deal Wolf signed with Universal Television last month, which includes multiple series commitments. The new series is executive produced by Wolf, Arthur W. Forney and Peter Jankowski for Wolf Entertainment and Universal TV, a division of NBCUniversal Content Studios. I hear former Chicago P.D showrunner Matt Olmstead is being eyed as writer-showrunner.

Like Law & Order: SVU, headlined by Mariska Hargitay as Olivia Benson, the new drama is set in New York, allowing for potential seamless crossovers with SVU, also set at an NYPD unit, and for Benson-Stabler reunions.

With their undeniable on-screen chemistry and great rapport on and off the set, Hargitay and Meloni were one of television’s most popular duos for over a decade.

Meloni was the male lead opposite Hargitay for SVU‘s first 12 seasons, with their characters partners and best friends. Stabler is an Irish American who, during the time he was featured on SVU, was married (his wife Kathy was played by Isabel Gillies) with five children. The role earned Meloni a lead actor in a drama series Emmy nomination in 2006.

Following Meloni’s exit after Season 12, his character was written off, with Stabler abruptly retiring from the police force.

Since departing SVU in 2011, Meloni headlined the Syfy series Happy! and Fox comedy series Surviving Jack, starred on the praised WGA America series Underground, and did memorable arcs on True Blood and The Handmaid’s Tale.

During his almost nine years away from SVU, Meloni remained close with Hargitay and the Wolf family. In January, the former co-stars appeared together, alongside Wolf, in The Paley Center Salutes Law & Order: SVU TV special on NBC. It was around that time I first heard chatter of a potential new Wolf series with Meloni.

Meloni is repped by Gersh and Industry Entertainment.

Mike86 03-31-20 03:25 PM

re: Law & Order: Organized Crime -- starring Chris Meloni as Elliot Stabler

Now that the Law & Order franchise is only left with Special Victims Unit it’s not the worst idea for Stabler to get a new show. His departure is about the time I stopped watching SVU, and truthfully while he’s done stuff since leaving he hasn’t had that of a spectacular career since leaving like he probably thought he would.

Let him do a new show for a while with a character that’s well liked. Probably will run for a while as long as he wants to play the part.

Gizmo 03-31-20 03:26 PM

Well, his career failed after he left so..yeah, makes sense.

It’s akin to Heigl going back to Greys.

DJariya 03-31-20 03:28 PM

SVU got renewed through season 24.

Mariska was smart, she knew where the money is. And now she's getting EP money.

OldBoy 03-31-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13715648)
Well, his career failed after he left so..yeah, makes sense.

It’s akin to Heigl going back to Greys.

did she? i didn't even know that...

DJariya 06-16-20 01:10 PM

Official title:

Law & Order: Organized Crime

Law & Order: Organized Crime — The drama features Christopher Meloni reprising his beloved “Law & Order: SVU” role as Elliot Stabler, who returns to the NYPD to battle organized crime after a devastating personal loss. However, the city and police department have changed dramatically in the decade he’s been away, and he must adapt to a criminal justice system in the midst of its own moment of reckoning. Throughout the series, we will follow Stabler’s journey to find absolution and rebuild his life, while leading a new elite task force that is taking apart the city’s most powerful criminal syndicates one by one.

This is the only new show on NBC's new Fall schedule. It will air Thursdays at 10pm.

Noonan 06-16-20 01:15 PM

I am so happy to once again have new L&O episodes that won't be focused on sexual crimes.

tanman 06-24-20 02:10 AM

This is pretty interesting news. I forgot why he left in the first place. Seemed to be the height of the duos popularity. SVU has gotten pretty ridiculous with their plots lately. They range from decent to ridiculous to just plain boring now.

Eric F 06-24-20 10:55 AM

re: Law & Order: Organized Crime (NBC) -- S: Chris Meloni as Elliot Stabler -- premieres 4/1/21

Good luck with this show. Not sure how much interest there is in another cop show with everything that’s going on right now. Should have done this show a decade ago.

morriscroy 06-24-20 11:10 AM

re: Law & Order: Organized Crime (NBC) -- S: Chris Meloni as Elliot Stabler -- premieres 4/1/21

This show might still actually work even in the current climate. IIRC, Stabler was the hothead who had multiple excessive force complaints.

It remains to been seen whether organized crime and other mafioso types, are still considered "fair game" .

RichC2 06-24-20 03:30 PM

I don't think there will be much of an effect on any of them unless the studios choose to drop them.

Ratings wise this will probably do well initially and then settle into the niche Criminal Intent filled.

Noonan 06-24-20 03:34 PM

I'd imagine this one in particular shouldn't be effected much since it's based on organized crime rather than your average drug dealer murder like some others.

d2cheer 06-25-20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13762410)
Good luck with this show. Not sure how much interest there is in another cop show with everything that’s going on right now. Should have done this show a decade ago.

It will not affect it at all.

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13762562)
I don't think there will be much of an effect on any of them unless the studios choose to drop them.

Ratings wise this will probably do well initially and then settle into the niche Criminal Intent filled.

Probably do very well people like the character.

Dscarpad 06-25-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13763151)
It will not affect it at all.

Probably do very well people like the character.

I want Law & 0rder: Munch

Red Dog 06-26-20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dscarpad (Post 13763281)
I want Law & 0rder: Munch

:lol::thumbsup:

DJariya 01-26-21 12:41 PM

Giantrobo 01-26-21 01:53 PM

:up:

Noonan 01-26-21 01:54 PM

Very happy to have new L&O episodes which aren't based on sexual crimes. I stopped watching SVU a few years ago.

Eric F 01-26-21 02:34 PM

This should be interesting. Looking forward to it.

GoldenJCJ 01-26-21 02:53 PM

I have to admit that I’ve never seen a single episode of ANY Law & Order show. I just never watched.

On my phone the title of the thread was cut off and it only read “Law & Order: Organized Crime — starting Chris Meloni as Elliot....”

My immediate reaction was, “Hey they’re making a period piece L&O with Meloni as Elliott Ness!” :lol:

DJariya 01-27-21 01:30 PM

I'm really looking forward to Organized Crime. I'm curious how they bring back Stabler from retirement.

Since Mariska appeared in that photo with Meloni, I assume there will be a few crossover episodes with Meloni and Mariska guest starring in each show.

Mike86 01-27-21 03:02 PM

I’m kind of interested in this. I liked the character, but I got tired of Special Victims Unit even before he left the show.

I enjoyed Law & Order (the original) for quite a while. Some of the pairings of detectives and district attorneys were better than others. The Jerry Orbach years were when the show was at its best. I also liked Chris Noth and Jesse L. Martin too. Dennis Farina also wasn’t bad, but felt like a replacement for Orbach.

I also really liked some of Criminal Intent. Mostly for D’Onofrio’s character. Great actor and where I really started to take notice of him, even though he had done quite a bit prior to that show.

DJariya 01-27-21 04:07 PM

https://deadline.com/2021/01/dylan-m...me-1234681821/

Dylan McDermott is joining the cast. Sounds like he will be a series regular alongside Meloni.

DJariya 02-04-21 12:50 PM

April 1st. Part of a 2 hour crossover event with SVU. So yeah you're going to have to watch SVU for the set up of this show even if you don't watch it anymore.

Runaway 02-05-21 08:32 AM

I stopped watching SVU in the 17th season. I just hadn't enough time anymore so I axed some shows, but I liked evey L&O show, so Organized Crime will get a chance as well, but procedurals aren't my cup of tea anymore.