Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Old 03-30-20, 07:02 AM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20



Better Call Saul
AMC - Mon, 3/30, 9:00 PM 1 hr 8 min

"JMM"

Season 5 / Episode 7

Kim and Jimmy turn to Huell for help with a legal firewall; Jimmy is compromised as Kim struggles to work things out with her clients; despite the issues he faces, Gus navigates his way to build an empire; Mike tries to do damage control.
Old 03-30-20, 09:10 PM
  #2  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I always love a Lydia appearance.
Old 03-30-20, 10:21 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,428
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I get intimidated in every scene with Kevin and Kim. They are done very well and it feels so real!
Old 03-30-20, 11:20 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,616
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

It's borderline criminal how overlooked this show is when it comes to awards. It's genuinely just as good as BB.
I hope Odenkirk and Seehorn win Emmys before it's all said and done
The following 2 users liked this post by Osiris3657:
Bandoman (04-01-20), Spiderbite (04-03-20)
Old 03-30-20, 11:23 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,271
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I had forgotten until this episode that Jimmy had two previous wives. Was Googling this to find more info about #2 and saw there was some discussion that this couldn't have been true so Jimmy must've lied about the second ex-wife. But obviously both marriages could've occurred before BCS. Now as we find out tonight, the two prior wives were briefly mentioned in a throw-away comment and that was the end of it. I just don't get why so many have always felt the mention of a second wife was a continuity error.
Old 03-30-20, 11:40 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 12,991
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Got a real Walter White vibe when Jimmy went off on Howard. Big ego and stubborn pride on display while aiming for something bigger.
Old 03-31-20, 12:14 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,567
Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by rennervision View Post
I had forgotten until this episode that Jimmy had two previous wives. Was Googling this to find more info about #2 and saw there was some discussion that this couldn't have been true so Jimmy must've lied about the second ex-wife. But obviously both marriages could've occurred before BCS. Now as we find out tonight, the two prior wives were briefly mentioned in a throw-away comment and that was the end of it. I just don't get why so many have always felt the mention of a second wife was a continuity error.
The Throwaway ‘Breaking Bad’ Line That Has Caused Headaches For ‘Better Call Saul’ Writers
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-03-20)
Old 03-31-20, 02:38 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,300
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Loved this episode. So many great performances and scenes. Odenkirk is far overdue for winning recognition for this role.
Old 03-31-20, 04:19 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,423
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I loved the fast food executives meeting. Giancarlo is so good at showing the subtly OCD aspects of Fring's character this season. It has actually made him scarier as a character than he seemed in BB which was still pretty fricking scary.
Old 03-31-20, 04:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 13,300
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I loved the fast food executives meeting. Giancarlo is so good at showing the subtly OCD aspects of Fring's character this season. It has actually made him scarier as a character than he seemed in BB which was still pretty fricking scary.
Exactly. An episode tor two ago when he was sitting motionless staring at the perfectly centered and aligned phone on his desk waiting for a call to come in...chilling.
Old 03-31-20, 05:52 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,567
Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

There's always been a sort of Superman mythology to Gus that I always struggle to get my head around. He's so good as the owner of a Chicken Restaurant empire, why even bother with Meth distribution? The risk couldn't be worth it and it seems that the restaurants are successful enough for him to live comfortably on. And it's not like he has expensive cartel-like tastes. He doesn't need such an elaborate business to launder money. And after all these Saul episodes I still don't understand his motivations any better than I did on Breaking Bad.
Old 03-31-20, 06:09 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 2,111
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There's always been a sort of Superman mythology to Gus that I always struggle to get my head around. He's so good as the owner of a Chicken Restaurant empire, why even bother with Meth distribution? The risk couldn't be worth it and it seems that the restaurants are successful enough for him to live comfortably on. And it's not like he has expensive cartel-like tastes. He doesn't need such an elaborate business to launder money. And after all these Saul episodes I still don't understand his motivations any better than I did on Breaking Bad.
Revenge.
Old 03-31-20, 06:12 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,567
Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I really need to rewatch that Gus and Max flashback episode of Breaking Bad.
Old 03-31-20, 06:28 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 33,038
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Luftwaffle.


Old 03-31-20, 07:58 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,378
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There's always been a sort of Superman mythology to Gus that I always struggle to get my head around. He's so good as the owner of a Chicken Restaurant empire, why even bother with Meth distribution? The risk couldn't be worth it and it seems that the restaurants are successful enough for him to live comfortably on. And it's not like he has expensive cartel-like tastes. He doesn't need such an elaborate business to launder money. And after all these Saul episodes I still don't understand his motivations any better than I did on Breaking Bad.
Like Koby said, revenge, but also he wasn't always the chicken man. Sure Los Pollos Hermanos is successful now, but just try getting out of the crime world after doing it for so long. He's probably stuck just like Jimmy becomes.
Old 03-31-20, 08:02 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,811
Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Luftwaffle.

Yeah, I had a good chuckle over that one. There was another one that stood out, to me, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 04-01-20, 08:57 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,252
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Another good laugh is when Gus and Nacho are trashing the Los Pollos Hermanos restaurant, Gus pauses to check on the cleanliness of the deep fryer basket. He's still obssessively clean even though he's about to burn down the place
Old 04-01-20, 02:25 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 4,529
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Yeah, I had a good chuckle over that one. There was another one that stood out, to me, but I can't remember what it was.
TulumTaco was another one I remember

That scene was like the legion of doom - I'm sure the writers had a good time coming up with the names
Old 04-02-20, 12:02 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 2,880
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Like Koby said, revenge, but also he wasn't always the chicken man. Sure Los Pollos Hermanos is successful now, but just try getting out of the crime world after doing it for so long. He's probably stuck just like Jimmy becomes.
So in a way, Los Pollos Hermanos is a spite store!
The following users liked this post:
Decker (04-02-20)
Old 04-02-20, 12:46 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,699
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There's always been a sort of Superman mythology to Gus that I always struggle to get my head around. He's so good as the owner of a Chicken Restaurant empire, why even bother with Meth distribution?.m
The chicken is clearly not his main pursuit or passion, no matter the level of his success. He was still obsessed with drugs even in the early days.

By that same token, you could also ask why Walt kept going repeatedly when he could have stopped, beginning with not accepting Elliot and Gretchen’s money. It’s not what they want.
Old 04-02-20, 01:29 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,567
Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
By that same token, you could also ask why Walt kept going repeatedly when he could have stopped, beginning with not accepting Elliot and Gretchen’s money. It’s not what they want.
I feel that motivation is a lot clearer than Gus'. Walt was hardly obsessed with his Car Wash. Gus is an absolute chicken franchise mogul, appearing in TV ads, cornerstone of his community. Not really the same thing.
Old 04-02-20, 03:20 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 156
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Some people aren't in it for the money and they can never be satisfied attaining a certain level. It's a personality type. I've got a bit of it myself (not to Gus' extent and not as a criminal, of course. ).

For a great look at this "disorder" check out Michael Lewis' book about tech entrepreneurs, "The New New Thing." There's a guy in there who builds a huge automated sailboat, takes it out for its maiden voyage, and then spends the trip below-decks drawing up plans for a better, bigger boat. It's not about attainment for these guys.
Old 04-02-20, 03:26 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 48,567
Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I love Lewis' books and haven't heard of that one. Will check it out.
Old 04-03-20, 09:02 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 4,529
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Originally Posted by cowtown View Post
Some people aren't in it for the money and they can never be satisfied attaining a certain level. It's a personality type. I've got a bit of it myself (not to Gus' extent and not as a criminal, of course. ).

For a great look at this "disorder" check out Michael Lewis' book about tech entrepreneurs, "The New New Thing." There's a guy in there who builds a huge automated sailboat, takes it out for its maiden voyage, and then spends the trip below-decks drawing up plans for a better, bigger boat. It's not about attainment for these guys.
Yeah - this is the "Wall Street" or "Narco" mentality - money is a way to keep score!

I have left really good jobs, just to experience or learn something new. There is something in me that wants to be able to say "I was able to do that, build that, accomplish that" Might be crazy to some, but it drives me

I can 100% see why Gus is motivated to accomplish this task. It's not about the money - he wants to create.
Old 04-03-20, 09:45 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,683
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

I totally see the "stepdad" line as a Saul bullshit manipulative statement.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.