Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Old 04-03-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E07) -- "JMM" -- 3/30/20

Was the "Gus has OCD" always a thing? I'm curious if it was obvious in BB and I just wasn't noticing it. Are there any examples of this? (Aside from him wanting to distribute the perfect meth.) Maybe when he straightened his tie after getting half his face blown off, but that's about all I recall.
Old 04-03-20, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Was the "Gus has OCD" always a thing? I'm curious if it was obvious in BB and I just wasn't noticing it. Are there any examples of this? (Aside from him wanting to distribute the perfect meth.) Maybe when he straightened his tie after getting half his face blown off, but that's about all I recall.
When Gus goes to the bathroom to induce vomiting after drinking the poison tequila, even though he's fighting the clock to avoid death or severe medical issues - he still took the time to neatly fold his jacket and carefully place a towel in front of the toilet bowl so he could kneel down without scuffing his pants.
Old 04-04-20, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I totally see the "stepdad" line as a Saul bullshit manipulative statement.
The only important thing is that this episode established, for the first time definitively, that Kim was not ex-Wife #2.
Old 04-04-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I totally see the "stepdad" line as a Saul bullshit manipulative statement.
Yeah, there's no reason to believe that actually happened. He said it to make a point, and it doesn't need to be true.

And, what we've seen of Jimmy in BCS, he's a world-class bullshit artist.
Old 04-04-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, there's no reason to believe that actually happened. He said it to make a point, and it doesn't need to be true.

And, what we've seen of Jimmy in BCS, he's a world-class bullshit artist.
I think you guys are trying too hard with the revisionist history. Saul said it because it was true.
Without knowing it, the writers created a plot hole to a prequel show they didn't know was going to exist at the time.
They may try to fix it or explain it somehow in BCS so it matches with BB, but make no mistake - they painted themselves into a corner. It's as simple as that.

This falls under the same category as Mike's granddaughter Kaylee who's barely aged between BCS and BB - a fuck-up.
Old 04-05-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
When Gus goes to the bathroom to induce vomiting after drinking the poison tequila, even though he's fighting the clock to avoid death or severe medical issues - he still took the time to neatly fold his jacket and carefully place a towel in front of the toilet bowl so he could kneel down without scuffing his pants.
I forgot about that. Now I remember when I first saw that scene I thought, "Man, that guy really must really hate wrinkles in his suit." Good example!
Old 04-06-20, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Gus was always presented as being very fastidious in BB. The way he moved, the way he dressed. The only time we ever saw him lose his composure was in the bomb scene, and even then, he was straightening his tie seconds later.
Old 04-08-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Gus was always presented as being very fastidious in BB. The way he moved, the way he dressed. The only time we ever saw him lose his composure was in the bomb scene, and even then, he was straightening his tie seconds later.
mic drop moment... Well played Josh da man!
Old 05-27-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I could be mistaken, but Gus has been implied to be a bad guy from the start way before he was the Chicken Man. He was most likely someone involved in the Pinochet regime in Chile and responsible for many atrocities and probably was on the run when he hooked up with the cartel. It was always my impression that he and his lover Max began the chicken stores to launder the drug money. And no matter how successful that became, it is pennies compared to the tax free cash and more importantly POWER that comes from being a drug/crimelord. The chicken stuff is all cover. He was simply fastidious in being good at it as that is his personality.