DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 3/20/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650100-tiger-king-murder-mayhem-madness-netflix-docuseries-premieres-3-20-20-a.html)

dex14 03-20-20 07:10 AM

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 3/20/20

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0e11c636a5.jpg

Among the eccentrics and cult personalities in the stranger-than-fiction world of big cat owners, few stand out more than Joe Exotic, a mulleted, gun-toting polygamist and country western singer who presides over an Oklahoma roadside zoo. Charismatic but misguided, Joe and an unbelievable cast of characters including drug kingpins, conmen, and cult leaders all share a passion for big cats, and the status and attention their dangerous menageries garner. But things take a dark turn when Carole Baskin, an animal activist and owner of a big cat sanctuary, threatens to put them out of business, stoking a rivalry that eventually leads to Joe’s arrest for a murder-for-hire plot, and reveals a twisted tale where the only thing more dangerous than a big cat is its owner.

Watch Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness, only on Netflix on March 20.

CREW INFORMATION:

· Chris Smith as EP
· Eric Goode as DIR
· Fisher Stevens as EP
· Rebecca Chailkin as DIR

d2cheer 03-20-20 01:16 PM

Re: Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 3/20/20

This looks pretty interesting...

Eric F 03-21-20 12:41 AM

Re: Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 3/20/20

It’s getting good reviews, I think I’m going to watch it.

dsa_shea 03-21-20 01:15 AM

Watching it now. Second episode will sink into you.

Eric F 03-21-20 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13708858)
Watching it now. Second episode will sink into you.

I’m up to episode 3. This is some of the weirdest TV I’ve ever seen.

Toddarino 03-21-20 10:35 PM

I’ve been hearing this is a weird as hell docuseries. I’m interested but to those that have completed it, is there any mistreatment of animals? I know next to nothing about this.

dsa_shea 03-21-20 11:02 PM

This series gets much more strange. There are a couple of scenes where animals are harmed a bit for self protection but no animal cruelty onscreen.

Eric F 03-22-20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13709428)
This series gets much more strange. There are a couple of scenes where animals are harmed a bit for self protection but no animal cruelty onscreen.

They’re all terrible people, you pretty much know that going in.

I finished it. Definitely some very, very odd people. One of the most fucked up show I’ve seen in years, and it’s all true. It was great. :lol:

The sad thing is that there are more Tigers in captivity in the US than there are that live in the wild. Private ownership of big cats in the US should be banned- some states are hanging on though for whatever reason.

dsa_shea 03-22-20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13709480)
Private ownership of big cats in the US should be banned- some states are hanging on though for whatever reason.

Yes, it should be. Including the lady masquerading as a rescue but essentially doing the same thing. She basically has a work for free force and is keeping these cats in captivity for her own pleasure and gain. All of it is sad. Let the animals be.

Crocker Jarmen 03-22-20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13709491)
Yes, it should be. Including the lady masquerading as a rescue but essentially doing the same thing. She basically has a work for free force and is keeping these cats in captivity for her own pleasure and gain. All of it is sad. Let the animals be.

The final scene with the chimpanzees was heartbreaking.

Eric F 03-22-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13709749)
The final scene with the chimpanzees was heartbreaking.

Yeah it was. :(

Joe has some serious psychological problems, actually a lot of the people in the show do- it shows you how lacking the mental health system is in the US. They are trying to fill a need with drugs, animals, whatever.

devilshalo 03-23-20 10:15 PM

There has to be a follow up right?! They were saying more shit was coming? It's insane that there are twice as many tigers in captivity in the US then there are in the wild. :(

The Questyen 03-23-20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13709491)

I know quite a bit about Big Cat Rescue and she is not essentially doing the same thing. Their main purpose is getting the Big Cat Act passed and making it illegal to own exotic cats. These cats in captivity can not be released in the wild so she takes in cats from zoos that otherwise would be euthanized. They don't breed cats and they don't allow any interaction with cats and humans. They let them live out their lives. They are a nonprofit animal rescue so of course they rely on volunteer labor. I've volunteered for two animal rescues and both were like 99% volunteer run.

dex14 03-24-20 12:39 PM

If you’ve been spending your quarantine devouring Netflix’s true-crime doc series Tiger King, we urge you to paws your binge and take in the following news bulletin: There’s a limited series in the works starring Kate McKinnon.
We’re not kitten around.

As reported last fall, the SNL star is set to play Carole Baskin — the CEO of Big Cat Rescue who figures prominently in the Netflix doc — in the project, which is in development at Universal Content Productions. Talk about purr-fect casting, eh?

Based on the Joe Exotic podcast, the miniseries (much like the Netflix doc) centers on Baskin’s epic feud with fellow big cat enthusiast Joe “Exotic” Schreibvogel.

While there is currently no network or streamer attached to the McKinnon-fronted and EP’d scripted version, the breakout success of Tiger King will no doubt raise the project’s profile (and sweeten its prospects) exponentially. (A Universal rep tells TVLine that Tiger King remains in active development.)

To that end, who can you picture playing cat and mouse with McKinnon as the flamboyant Joe Exotic himself? My gut is telling me the part is Thomas Lennon’s to lose.
https://tvline.com/2020/03/24/tiger-...exotic-series/

Abob Teff 03-24-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13709406)
I’ve been hearing this is a weird as hell docuseries. I’m interested but to those that have completed it, is there any mistreatment of animals? I know next to nothing about this.

Didn’t you learn your lesson a few months ago? Don’t f**k with cats!

Osiris3657 03-25-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13710721)
I know quite a bit about Big Cat Rescue and she is not essentially doing the same thing. Their main purpose is getting the Big Cat Act passed and making it illegal to own exotic cats. These cats in captivity can not be released in the wild so she takes in cats from zoos that otherwise would be euthanized. They don't breed cats and they don't allow any interaction with cats and humans. They let them live out their lives. They are a nonprofit animal rescue so of course they rely on volunteer labor. I've volunteered for two animal rescues and both were like 99% volunteer run.

She's just as guilty as the rest of them. She WAS a breeder and seller at one point, and the quality of her complex (much smaller cages with poor maintenance) makes the animals' lives even more miserable.

Oh, and there's the disappearance of her 1st husband where she looks VERY suspicious.

Fuck them all.

Anyway, finished the doc today. I'm such a bleeding heart when it comes to animal welfare. I've grown to despise zoos and "sanctuaries" like Joe's and Antle's. And it should absolutely be illegal (and worthy of a felony) for owning, breeding, or selling exotic animals.

Eric F 03-25-20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13710986)

Is the Carole character supposed to be the hero of the story? I hope the real Carole doesn't make $.01 off this series.

hdtv00 03-26-20 12:24 AM

I think the show exposes her for the fraud she is and I agree with most here she's just as bad as the rest of them. Osiris summed it up perfectly.

The Questyen 03-26-20 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13711740)
She's just as guilty as the rest of them. She WAS a breeder and seller at one point, and the quality of her complex (much smaller cages with poor maintenance) makes the animals' lives even more miserable.

Oh, and there's the disappearance of her 1st husband where she looks VERY suspicious.

Fuck them all.

Anyway, finished the doc today. I'm such a bleeding heart when it comes to animal welfare. I've grown to despise zoos and "sanctuaries" like Joe's and Antle's. And it should absolutely be illegal (and worthy of a felony) for owning, breeding, or selling exotic animals.

Her husband owned a zoo many years ago so she saw first hand how bad breeding was so she dedicated her life to changing it. You let yourself be manipulated by Joe Exotic. The footage of her "smaller cages with poor maintenance" is all from the edited footage that Joe Exotic took and put on his show to make her look bad. Go watch some videos of their animals and you'll see their facilities are far better for the animals. You then say it should be illegal to own, breed, or sell exotics and she is literally the main advocate in the country that is fighting to make that happen.

d2cheer 03-26-20 09:01 AM

Watched the first episode yesterday. Carole Baskin is a sick fuck as well and basically doing the same thing except leaving them to die in much smaller cages and a poorer facility and claims that helps them. rotfl

:lol: I see many have chimed in on that and of course she is also being defended.

I'll try and finish this in the next few days.

Double_Oh_7 03-26-20 04:07 PM

I didn't realize how scary Oklahoma is -eek-

Osiris3657 03-27-20 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13712244)
Her husband owned a zoo many years ago so she saw first hand how bad breeding was so she dedicated her life to changing it. You let yourself be manipulated by Joe Exotic. The footage of her "smaller cages with poor maintenance" is all from the edited footage that Joe Exotic took and put on his show to make her look bad. Go watch some videos of their animals and you'll see their facilities are far better for the animals. You then say it should be illegal to own, breed, or sell exotics and she is literally the main advocate in the country that is fighting to make that happen.

Unless you can prove those small cages from the doc aren't from her complex, it's irrelevant. Love that your argument is "OK, so there are a few instances where the animals were caged up in poor conditions BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE OTHER NICE CAGES!" GTFO

Also like how you had nothing to say about her being the clear #1 suspect in her 1st her husband's disappearance.
The Questyen: "oh it's ok that she's responsible for her husband's disappearance as long as she's advocating for animal wealthfare" again, GTFO

She doesn't deserve support or defense

The Questyen 03-27-20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13713016)
Unless you can prove those small cages from the doc aren't from her complex, it's irrelevant. Love that your argument is "OK, so there are a few instances where the animals were caged up in poor conditions BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE OTHER NICE CAGES!" GTFO

Also like how you had nothing to say about her being the clear #1 suspect in her 1st her husband's disappearance.
The Questyen: "oh it's ok that she's responsible for her husband's disappearance as long as she's advocating for animal wealthfare" again, GTFO

She doesn't deserve support or defense

I didn't say anything about her husband's disappearance because there is no proof of her involvement in it or else she would have been arrested. You're once again letting Joe Exotics propaganda videos fool you. The people in the doc saying they think she did it are the cat people who she's trying to put out of business and his wife and daughters who are obviously impartial since the husband left them for her.

Your argument about what I posted about the cages leads me to believe you're not even reading what I posted.

I'm done with that topic. Here's a really good article about the doc that aligns with my feelings about these people.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/27/21...virus-response

Eric F 03-27-20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13713108)
I didn't say anything about her husband's disappearance because there is no proof of her involvement in it or else she would have been arrested. You're once again letting Joe Exotics propaganda videos fool you. The people in the doc saying they think she did it are the cat people who she's trying to put out of business and his wife and daughters who are obviously impartial since the husband left them for her.

Your argument about what I posted about the cages leads me to believe you're not even reading what I posted.

I'm done with that topic. Here's a really good article about the doc that aligns with my feelings about these people.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/27/21...virus-response

Have you ever worked or volunteered for Big Cat Rescue in any capacity?

The Questyen 03-27-20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13713408)
Have you ever worked or volunteered for Big Cat Rescue in any capacity?

I'm not going to talk about anything related to that any more I've said my peace. You guys want to believe she is as much of a monster as the others in the show then ok.

Here's another really good article about the doc from The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/3/...vey-joe-exotic

Eric F 03-27-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13713518)
I'm not going to talk about anything related to that any more I've said my peace. You guys want to believe she is as much of a monster as the others in the show then ok.

Here's another really good article about the doc from The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/3/...vey-joe-exotic

Is that a yes? :lol:

Honestly I think they’re all equal opportunity offenders.

mikehunt 03-29-20 10:57 AM

so in episode 3 the assistant
Spoiler:
says the dead husband gave her an envelope and told her if anything happened to him to give it to the police. But that is never mentioned again. Did she give it to the police after he disappeared? What was in it?

Jay G. 03-29-20 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by mikehunt (Post 13714128)
so in episode 3 the assistant
Spoiler:
says the dead husband gave her an envelope and told her if anything happened to him to give it to the police. But that is never mentioned again. Did she give it to the police after he disappeared? What was in it?

The answer is given almost immediately.
Spoiler:
Immediately after her pulling out that envelope they reveal that it contained a copy of the restraining order application the dead husband filed, which was eventually denied.

d2cheer 03-30-20 09:06 AM

If any good can come from this hopefully they will reopen the investigation into Carol's husbands death. Finished it. Batshit crazy that is for sure all of them are. I am glad people are understanding Carol is just as bad as the rest of them.

The buzz this is creating I would be shocked if there is not a follow-up down the road.

Meathead 03-30-20 09:33 AM

Shaq is now distancing himself from Joe Exotic and the Zoo.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/30/shaqu...ng-joe-exotic/

Finisher 03-30-20 11:13 AM

Carol has a nice scam going on: ton of employees working for free, gets the animals for free (correct me if I'm wrong), ton of donations, huge social media presence.

And her husband happens to disappear right as he's about to divorce her and leave her with nothing. Reminded me of The Staircase. Wife happens to "fall down the stairs" the same night she (most likely) learned her husband is trolling for male prostitutes on the computer.

Lots of skeevy stuff in Tiger King, but opening the pizza place at the zoo and serving customers expired Walmart meats legit grossed me out.

Mike86 03-30-20 12:55 PM

Definitely an odd story all around. I think just about everybody involved is a scumbag on some level. Joe is just a crazy nutbag all around, although I do think that a lot of what he said was hot air and he may have not actually acted on what he was saying. To a degree I think he got set up by Jeff. Still at the same time he acted out violent acts using props for his “Carole” target.

beavis69 03-30-20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13713518)

Haha just watched this and while I will no way say she is the worse, she is definitely a colossal, abusive piece of shit.

This thing whole series was crazy from start to finish.

dex14 03-30-20 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13714568)
If any good can come from this hopefully they will reopen the investigation into Carol's husbands death. Finished it. Batshit crazy that is for sure all of them are. I am glad people are understanding Carol is just as bad as the rest of them.

The buzz this is creating I would be shocked if there is not a follow-up down the road.

Eric F 03-30-20 11:18 PM

Over the last week this show has blown up like crazy. Everyone I know is talking about it.

Finisher 03-31-20 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13715206)
Over the last week this show has blown up like crazy. Everyone I know is talking about it.

The best true crime really gets under your skin, stays with you. Memorable characters and general seediness. And then on top of that you have people stuck at home. This is golden meme material as well.

funkyryno 03-31-20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 13714650)

Lots of skeevy stuff in Tiger King, but opening the pizza place at the zoo and serving customers expired Walmart meats legit grossed me out.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d4efae240d.jpg

dex14 03-31-20 01:53 PM

I can’t believe it took me 5 episodes to think “why the fuck is this guy (the ex-husband) doing this interview shirtless????” :lol:

Boba Fett 03-31-20 09:46 PM

I think most everyone has said all that could be said about this, but I have one observation. The simple fact the guy who Scarface was based on, was the most down to earth and sensible character in the series speaks volumes.

Eric F 04-01-20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 13715898)
I think most everyone has said all that could be said about this, but I have one observation. The simple fact the guy who Scarface was based on, was the most down to earth and sensible character in the series speaks volumes.

Yes, I truly believe that guy got dismembered in his house by accident. :lol: