Better Call Saul (S5E05) -- "Dedicado a Max" -- 3/16/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-16-20, 07:49 AM

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

"Dedicado a Max"

3/16/2020, Season 5 / Episode 5

Mike makes an unexpected trip out of town; Kim makes a surprising decision as she grows closer to Jimmy over their determination to help a client.
Old 03-17-20, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E05) -- "Dedicado a Max" -- 3/16/20

Cool episode. Really worried about how self-destructive Kim has become. Liked the change of pace stuff for Mike - his story felt a little stuck and repetitive, so this break was pretty welcome.
Kim role-playing Kevin and Jimmy playing roll-Kim was hysterical.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The place that Mike was sent to, that's the same place both Mike and Fring went to after they poisoned/killed the cartel in BB, right?
Old 03-17-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the lawyer plot, but didn’t care for Mike’s storyline in this episode.

When Kim yelled at her boss, it reminded me of when I yelled (or more like “raised my voice”) at one of the managers at my old job. It’s quite exhilarating

In that situation, I found out my health insurance was erroneously cancelled and I went into the HR office and was pissed because nobody was there. I’ll admit, I was sort of making a scene.

The warehouse manager saw me and told me I needed to be quiet and stop making a scene. I gave him a look and yelled really loud, “I’m fucking glad I have three upcoming interviews this week!” (and this is after working at the company for 7 years, so I was a loyal employee)

Luckily, I did get a much better job (career) from one of those interviews haha and eventually I did apologize to the manager for yelling at him.

Anyways, has anyone else yelled at a manager/boss before? It would be interesting to hear some stories.
Old 03-17-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Except in this case, Kim was blustering to cover for her lies and malfeasance.

Interesting to see Kim transition into working with Jimmy to be professionally corrupt, as opposed to just taking advantage of a d-bag for a free meal or something. Despite the playful nature of what Kim and Jimmy were up to, they were unethically manipulating events in order to hamper the application of the law, working to deprive her client of their legal rights.
Old 03-17-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After seeing Kim's behavior in this episode, I'm starting to think the reason Kim isn't in "Breaking Bad" at all is because she was disbarred from practicing law in New Mexico and had to move out of state.

Old 03-17-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
After seeing Kim's behavior in this episode, I'm starting to think the reason Kim isn't in "Breaking Bad" at all is because she was disbarred from practicing law in New Mexico and had to move out of state.
When this show started, it was all about the journeys of the characters I knew from BB, and I knew Kim was important to Jimmy, but she wasn't that important to me. Now her journey is the best things on the show.
Old 03-17-20, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely something along those lines. Last nights episode showed that Jimmy and Kim's relationship is still actually strong. and that Kim deep down actually encourages the shadier elements of Jimmy's personality. Clearly Kim is headed towards complete self-destruction from her professional arc not here relationship with Jimmy. Still mostly a filler episode.
Old 03-17-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Kim also has a lot of self-sabotage in her, just like Jimmy. But Jimmy created Saul to channel it. What will Kim do once her "normal" self can no longer coexist with her actions is the question.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Needle:
Bandoman (03-18-20), boogieman03 (03-18-20)
Old 03-17-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The place that Mike was sent to, that's the same place both Mike and Fring went to after they poisoned/killed the cartel in BB, right?
No. This is a new place. They wanted to show another thing Gus would do as a tribute to Max so they came up with the idea of this Shangra -La that he created in memory of Max. We have never seen this location before (it's actually a working museum in Santa Fe), but it has previously appeared in the movie McGruder.

I know all of this because I listened to the most recent Better Call Saul podcast tonight. It's an interesting listen always, this episode featured Giancarlo Esposito.
https://player.fm/series/better-call...nsider-podcast
Old 03-18-20, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Maybe she's working in a Sbarro in another mall in Omaha.
Old 03-18-20, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
No. This is a new place. They wanted to show another thing Gus would do as a tribute to Max so they came up with the idea of this Shangra -La that he created in memory of Max. We have never seen this location before (it's actually a working museum in Santa Fe), but it has previously appeared in the movie McGruder.

I know all of this because I listened to the most recent Better Call Saul podcast tonight. It's an interesting listen always, this episode featured Giancarlo Esposito.
https://player.fm/series/better-call...nsider-podcast
Good to know. I figured since Mike was taken their to get medical help, it reminded me of Mike/Fring getting medical help at some weird location in BB. I was too lazy to check that episode of BB to confirm.
Old 03-18-20, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to look up who Max was, since I’m not a hardcore Breaking Bad expert fan.

some interesting discussion going around about Max and Gus after this episode aired
Old 03-18-20, 01:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Good to know. I figured since Mike was taken their to get medical help, it reminded me of Mike/Fring getting medical help at some weird location in BB. I was too lazy to check that episode of BB to confirm.
I remember that episode - I think it was the same doctor too.
Old 03-18-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I remember that episode - I think it was the same doctor too.
Yeah, definitely the same doctor.

Good episode! My only confusion is how Mike went from picking a fight with the neighbourhood thugs to ending up in the care of the doctor. Was Gus having Mike followed? If so, you would think that would be a deterrent to Gus, as Mike was hardly being 'careful.'

Things are not looking good for Kim, professionally.
Old 03-18-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I was trying to figure out what Kim saw in his house. She was looking at Mesa Verde signage with the cowboy at work. Maybe they stole their logo from a painting/picture that is copyrighted? Best I could come up with.
Old 03-18-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I was trying to figure out what Kim saw in his house. She was looking at Mesa Verde signage with the cowboy at work. Maybe they stole their logo from a painting/picture that is copyrighted? Best I could come up with.
One of the things I like best about this show is when they hint at a grand scheme right in front of you but then end the episode before you can figure out what it is. They did that with the letter writing campaign, when Jimmy rigged Chuck's application for a new Mesa Verde branch and probably a dozen other times. It's always an effective hook.
Old 03-19-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I think you're right. I remember during the scene at Kim's office, didn't they keep cutting to different images of the logo? Wasn't sure what that might have been about until reading your post.
Old 03-20-20, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It’s gotta be something less “boring” and obvious than copyright infringement.