DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Picard - Broken Pieces (S1E8) - 3/12/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650045-star-trek-picard-broken-pieces-s1e8-3-12-20-a.html)

Mike86 03-12-20 09:23 AM

Star Trek: Picard - Broken Pieces (S1E8) - 3/12/20

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/ZT...gHVJGtAyak.jpg
Synopsis:
When devastating truths behind the Mars attack are revealed, Picard realizes just how far many will go to preserve secrets stretching back generations, all while the La Sirena crew grapples with secrets and revelations of their own. Narissa directs her guards to capture Elnor, setting off an unexpected chain of events on the Borg cube.

johnnysd 03-12-20 11:58 AM

Re: Star Trek: Picard - Broken Pieces (S1E8) - 3/12/20

Easily the best and most engaging of all the episodes with several excellent moments both large and small. Particularly impressive in that it was also an exposition dump episode but was never dull. Last couple episodes shaping up to be pretty awesome.

One small nit is that Picard CAN understand what she is going through because his head has an entire lifetime of synthetic memories.

Bandoman 03-12-20 12:20 PM

How many episodes is this season? 10?

Why So Blu? 03-12-20 12:29 PM

Wow, that was awesome!

Gave me chills when
Spoiler:
7 of 9 jacked in and became Queen of the Borg!

Mike86 03-12-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13702543)
How many episodes is this season? 10?

Yep, ten episodes.

dhmac 03-12-20 03:45 PM

When Seven of Nine became the Borg Queen with the connections showing up and attaching to her back, all I could think was "Mike Stoklasa was right!"

(...well mostly right, because he predicted it would be Soji instead of Seven transforming into the Borg Queen, but a Borg Queen was acheived)

milo bloom 03-12-20 10:21 PM

Fantastic. This and Nepenthe were the best of the show so far and just outright good Trek. Lots of answers but then lots of new questions too.

Tom Banjo 03-13-20 03:31 AM

I’m starting to wonder if this ancient synthetic lifeform threat is Control from season 2 of Discovery, or connected to it in some way.

hdtv00 03-13-20 05:16 AM

They mention ancient race that could move stars in Season 2 I think next gen, The Last Outpost.

Giantrobo 03-13-20 10:32 AM

That Hot Romulan Chick releasing those beings into space was horrific. :(

Lifepawn 03-13-20 10:39 AM

I got a raging nerd boner when Seven of Nine became Borg Queen for 2 seconds.
WE ARE BORG. Vacuum. Fuck.

I fully expect the working Borg Cube to make an appearance in whatever final battle happens this season. I'd probably watch an Elnor and Seven spinoff as well. Also, I'm guessing Agnes sacrifices herself to save the androids to try and make up for what she's done.

johnnysd 03-13-20 12:09 PM

I actually expect them to NOT be successful in heading off the Threshold and having the ancient aliens show up as the Big Bad for Season 2 of Picard.

Superman07 03-14-20 09:00 AM

Anybody who doesn’t think this it Trek, I point you to Picard's speech to Rios. :clap:

We are Borg. Creepy as ever! And did you notice the insect like quality in which the ship repaired itself.

I was all excited to see a Starfleet group of ships at Starbase 12. Except that was conveniently skipped! :(

I didn’t quite follow what happened at he end. Did the female agent off her own Centurion, only to be taken down by the revolting XBs? That was creepy, and I thought she was a goner.

hdtv00 03-14-20 09:28 AM

Woo who one speech in 8 episodes to prove its trek, right on. The writing on this show is beyond bad.

Eric F 03-14-20 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 13704076)
Anybody who doesn’t think this it Trek, I point you to Picard's speech to Rios. :clap:

We are Borg. Creepy as ever! And did you notice the insect like quality in which the ship repaired itself.

I was all excited to see a Starfleet group of ships at Starbase 12. Except that was conveniently skipped! :(

I didn’t quite follow what happened at he end. Did the female agent off her own Centurion, only to be taken down by the revolting XBs? That was creepy, and I thought she was a goner.

She beamed out at the last minute.

Yeah, that was great. 7 of 9 is still in control of the cube? How is she going to prevent the Borg from assimilating everyone when she’s not jacked in?

dhmac 03-14-20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 13703147)
They mention ancient race that could move stars in Season 2 I think next gen, The Last Outpost.

The extinct Tkon Empire from 600,000 years earlier could move stars

brayzie 03-14-20 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 13704076)

I didn't like that. I guess it fits with the idea of a queen with a hive. I would have preferred it reforming and repairing itself more like an massively intricate puzzle box or transformer. Borg technology giving off organic vibes more than artificial seems wrong somehow.

What happened when the drones pinned her down? Did she beam away? Did they beam her away? What happened?

mphtrilogy 03-14-20 04:46 PM

As a fan of vinyl, I enjoyed that little bit with the records tucked in his bag and playing some Billie Holiday on his turntable...
great ep, finishing strong

VinVega 03-14-20 05:03 PM

These characters are so wonderfully flawed and complex, it's awesome to watch. This show is now crushing it for me. Loved the 7 of 9 wiring up to the collective again. Loved the Soji scene where she's asking if she's alive or something to that effect, It's really good character interaction, emotion and drama.

Mike86 03-15-20 12:38 AM

This felt like an episode of Star Trek. These last two episodes have been the best of the season.

Picard’s talk with Rios was perfect. That is Picard and representative of the ideals of all of Star Trek. Maybe my favorite moment this entire season.

Seven of Nine tapping into the collective and becoming the Borg Queen was cool as well.

Good character building with Rios this episode as well.

bluesix 03-15-20 08:15 AM

Jeri Ryan was definitely the best part of Star Trek Voyager and now seeing her in this it makes you wonder why her career never took off after it ended. Its not just the fact that she still looks amazing in her catsuit or that she is incredibly pretty underneath her Borg prosthetics. She actually is a great actress and does a great job as 7 of 9.

I wonder if she wouldn't have had a bigger career if she hadn't done such a great job on Voyager. Sad to know she had to sleep with Brannon Braga to get the part but kudos to her for doing such a great job with it. I'd definitely watch a series with 7 of 9 as well!

TGM 03-15-20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluesix (Post 13704588)
Jeri Ryan was definitely the best part of Star Trek Voyager and now seeing her in this it makes you wonder why her career never took off after it ended. Its not just the fact that she still looks amazing in her catsuit or that she is incredibly pretty underneath her Borg prosthetics. She actually is a great actress and does a great job as 7 of 9.

I wonder if she wouldn't have had a bigger career if she hadn't done such a great job on Voyager. Sad to know she had to sleep with Brannon Braga to get the part but kudos to her for doing such a great job with it. I'd definitely watch a series with 7 of 9 as well!

IIRC she went from that to many years on some TV legal drama but I'm too lazy to check imdb.

Eric F 03-15-20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13704633)
IIRC she went from that to many years on some TV legal drama but I'm too lazy to check imdb.

Wasn't she on Boston Legal or some show like that?

I also think she stopped performing for a while to raise a family.

Deftones 03-15-20 10:28 AM

Yeah, the 7 of 9 Borg Queen part was probably the best part of the series so far. I sort of figured that would happen once she was back on the cube. :up:

dhmac 03-19-20 12:08 PM

RedLetterMedia re:View of Picard episodes 6, 7, & 8